Awoo.

Lets talk Sonic The Movie. Your thoughts

SABRINA

I thought that the Sonic Movie was really under rated. It was really cool and the fact that it had a tie in with Sonic CD was even better. The dubbing and the animation were awesome as well. I think that it should be be more over rated.

I thought that the Sonic Movie was really under rated. It was really cool and the fact that it had a tie in with Sonic CD was even better. The dubbing and the animation were awesome as well. I think that it should be be more over rated.

HA! I never realized that until now! The movie sonic and the CD Sonic DO look a lot similar

I just watched it on youtube.

That is some serious epic shit. Everyone was very funny, loads of random things happened, spikes, badniks, and even springs made an appearance, and the whole thing didn't take itself too seriously.

Thumbs up from me!

The whole Eggman/Sera thing was cute but most of all very funny. I lold a lot when he had his fantasy of living with Sera in the Sky.

EDIT: Oh and it even featured a highway, how epic can you get?!

The ending with Metal was slightly sad as well, I like how it shows another, more emotional side to Sonic himself - this is far too rare in any of the games and any of the characters.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I remember finding out about it on Sonic Jam and was like WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME!!!!!

It did confuse me a bit though. I didn't get the Land of the Sky thing, i was like "What happened to Mobius?", but i don't care about that now. I don't think the voices ever bothered me ^^

This movie did make me a Metal Sonic fan though.

I still don't fully get how Metal and Sonic could read each others minds....

and whats with Sera's tail?

and yes

I want to see the return of Knuckles hat! lol

BRING BACK THE HAT!!!!!!

Edited by MetallicWrath

I remember finding out about it on Sonic Jam and was like WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME!!!!!

It did confuse me a bit though. I didn't get the Land of the Sky thing, i was like "What happened to Mobius?", but i don't care about that now. I don't think the voices ever bothered me ^^

This movie did make me a Metal Sonic fan though.

I still don't fully get how Metal and Sonic could read each others minds....

and whats with Sera's tail?

Well, about the mind-reading thing...

When Robotnik transferred the data from Sonic to Metal, there was immediately a link between the two of them. As Tails said:

"He knows everything; his likes, his dislikes, his personality and all his thoughts. That's how he knew to come down here, and he even gave the Old Man his favorite clothes."

"But it's just a robot, it's not really Sonic!"

"It doesn't matter that he's a robot, he's still operated completely through all Sonic's thoughts. He knows everything Sonic's ever felt or seen...same goes for Sonic. In other words, they're like identical twins!"

"They're twins?!" -sigh-

So whenever Sonic gets new information, the link that Robotnik placed between the two of them works it's magic, and Metal is updated immediately. That is how he knew where to go once Sonic overheard Knuckles explaining about the weak point in the planet...That's also what Sonic meant when he said the infamous quote:

"You might know everything that I'm going to do, but that's not going to help you, because I know everything you're going to do! STRAAAANNNGGEEE, ISN'T IT?!"

It's also how he understands Metal. He thinks of what he wants to say, and Sonic receives it immediately.

"There is only one Sonic..."

About the tail...

I DON'T KNOW. xD

Oh, and,

Has anyone else noticed that on the hologram game that Sara and Robotnik play, the Timer is infinate? And it says 'Eggman' on it, instead of 'Robotnik'?

That's because the OVA wasn't released internationally until years later. It had already come out in Japan by the time Sonic Jam was released.

• 3 months later...

Think I'll Bump this topic. There are a lot of new members on the forum and I'm sure they want to get their opinion out about this

(NOTE: to the mods: I will NEVER do this again. Promise)

Probably the only thing I didn't like about this movie was the fact that Eggman had a side plan to effectively marry Sera. That is both weird and creepy at the same time, and that's not even taking into consideration the huge age gap between them. And it still gives me nightmares whenever I think of Eggman wanting to repopulate the world with Sera.

But it's overall really fun to watch, and I like some of the adult, albeit subtle humor in some parts.

Probably the only thing I didn't like about this movie was the fact that Eggman had a side plan to effectively marry Sera. That is both weird and creepy at the same time, and that's not even taking into consideration the huge age gap between them. And it still gives me nightmares whenever I think of Eggman wanting to repopulate the world with Sera.

But it's overall really fun to watch, and I like some of the adult, albeit subtle humor in some parts.

"Rock a bye Robot On The Eggman"

LOL. Yeah. That with SOnic giving the finger was cool too

Huge age gap? Which is... what, exactly?

We don't know Eggman's age, or Sera's. I always saw them as both adults, myself, in any case.

I dunno- I saw Eggman's one-sided crush on Sera as kind of cute in a way. He's even sort of nice to Sera, as he tries to get her to like him.

I thought it was okay-ish when I first watched it 5-6 years ago, but now I don't really care for it. The plot was "meh" at best, the voices were awful (Sonic's was just plain weird and Tails'...as much as I love the character, made me want to strangle him in this.)

Plus Eggman's thing for Sarah was disturbing to me :unsure: and didn't Sonic have a crush on her as well? ._. (correct me if I'm wrong on that last point, it's been years since I last watched the DVD)

Edited by Leon K Fox

I thought it was okay-ish when I first watched it 5-6 years ago, but now I don't really care for it. The plot was "meh" at best, the voices were awful (Sonic's was just plain weird and Tails'...as much as I love the character, made me want to strangle him in this.)

Plus Eggman's thing for Sarah was disturbing to me :unsure: and didn't Sonic have a crush on her as well? ._. (correct me if I'm wrong on that last point, it's been years since I last watched the DVD)

Sonic expressed no real interest in Sera- Sera, conversely, seemed to have a thing for Sonic.

Which to me is far more questionable than Eggman's crush on Sera. The age gap is a minor issue compared to the species gap.

Sonic expressed no real interest in Sera- Sera, conversely, seemed to have a thing for Sonic.

Which to me is far more questionable than Eggman's crush on Sera. The age gap is a minor issue compared to the species gap.

Thanks for correcting me on that, wasn't 100% sure what way round it was ^^;

As for your other point, no one questioned how Knuckles/Rouge seemed to have a thing for each other at one point and they were different species, but I suppose when it comes to humans it's a different ball game altogether.

Edited by Leon K Fox

Huzzah for pirated VCDs! Loved the film, loved the plot, the soundtrack was awesome, the VAs superb, and the whole thing was generally EXCELLENT!!!

Zzap.

Huge age gap? Which is... what, exactly?

We don't know Eggman's age, or Sera's. I always saw them as both adults, myself, in any case.

I dunno- I saw Eggman's one-sided crush on Sera as kind of cute in a way. He's even sort of nice to Sera, as he tries to get her to like him.

It's easy to tell that Sera is a teenager(she sure acts like one) probably in her early 20's at most, and it's also easy to tell that Eggman is at least no more than in his late 30's at least.

He seems as old as the president. Still, it's just weird seeing a grown man hitting on a teen who's obviously much younger than him.

As for your other point, no one questioned how Knuckles/Rouge seemed to have a thing for each other at one point and they were different species, but I suppose when it comes to humans it's a different ball game altogether.

I once heard that there are some animals of different species in the world that do have close bonds with eachother, some even living together to achieve their own goals.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

Sera wasn't a human either though. Well she had a tail at least.

Catgirl, problem solved. :lol:

I personally loved it. I loved the art style and the scene where Knux gets a kiss from Sara. Maybe it was a precursor to the infamous Sonic and Elise kiss of SNG?

And that's another thing! What the hell is up with the tail!? Is she part animal? Is she the result of the earliest instance of bestiality in the Sonic series? Is she some rejected DBZ sayian? It's never properly explained what the tail is all about, especially considering her father doesn't have one. There isn't even a little tidbit thrown in at one moment, we just gotta accept the fact that she has a tail.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

And that's another thing! What the hell is up with the tail!? Is she part animal? Is she the result of the earliest instance of bestiality in the Sonic series? Is she some rejected DBZ sayian? It's never properly explained what the tail is all about, especially considering her father doesn't have one. There isn't even a little tidbit thrown in at one moment, we just gotta accept the fact that she has a tail.

Or, ya know, she's a cat-girl and that thing she wears on her head are covering her ears. That's what I thought when I first watched it. You guys are over-thinking it.

Edit: Argh, Jake beat me to it.

Edited by The Sniper

The age gap/species gap doesn't really strike me as much of a problem in this moive because it's mostly used as a joke, though I think it could have done without the unpleasant fantasy Sara imagines when she first learns about Robotnik's desire to marry her.

• 2 months later...

There is – without a shadow of a doubt – an obvious trend in movies spun off from video games; they all suck in at least one way: the Resident Evil series lay claim to some of the hammiest acting known to man, DooM laid waste to the storyline of the game, and the Super Mario Bros. Movie? Well, let’s just say that it mimicked all of DooM’s problems, and threw in a few of its own; dire special effects plagued virtually every single scene, and the diabolical quality of script will turn your stomach within minutes. These outstanding faults turned what could have been an adrenaline-fuelled blast-fest into a Corn-and-Cheese microwave ready-meal.

So now Sonic the Movie enters the fray, and we expect nothing more than a severely corny load of badly cell-shaded trash with awful acting and agonizing animation, further marred by an abysmal script.

It will come as a massive surprise then, when I say that this spin-off is actually rather good! Rather than being a complete carbon-copy of the game’s storyline, STM (because we all know that acronyms are so “now”) has its own charming plot which is littered with humour, and packed to the absolute brim with a huge array of pleasant quirks and twists, all the while keeping in perfect synchronisation with the story of the videogame series. Wonderful!

Not only is the script a hilarious-yet-meaningful masterpiece, but the voice acting is pretty good, too. It’s just a crushing blow that the likes of Martin Burke (the superbly talented voice of Sonic) aren’t better known, as many of us would probably like to hear him as a lead character in the next Disney movie.

In addition, the animation is drawn with such a high level of detail and vibrancy that it looks as though it could have originated from the prestigious studios of DreamWorks animation, not from a small videogame company based in Japan; it really is shockingly brilliant. And when the action starts to heat up (as it quite frequently does) and the special effects kick in, the movie reaches an absolute visual climax; excessive explosions and extreme blurs of colour violently clash together, resulting in splendidly well-seasoned spurts of retina-bending madness, as fists collide viciously with stomachs and malicious mechanical monstrosities are unleashed to an unsuspecting world. Sonic the Movie would win the prize for “Best Japanese Animation EVER” any day of the week, and unlike other Anime’ flicks such as the ever-overrated Poke’Mon, every frame is as superlatively smooth as full-cream butter.

Yet another upper is that the soundtrack knocks the block off of any other film’s musical score, as instead of the ever-dreary orchestral BOMBOMBOMBOM presented to us in most movies nowadays, STM (again with the acronyms) treats the audience to a superb blend of electro, rock and pop, all of which remains consistently brilliant throughout the entire duration (all 55 minutes of it – damn short by anyone’s standards). Though sometimes repetitive (although one doesn’t really notice on the first viewing), the soundtrack is VERY catchy; you’ll be guaranteed to be humming the main theme tune for weeks!

Anyway; you've probably had enough of me ranting on about how utterly brilliant the film was, so I'll leave you to discuss: was it a great success, or a steaming pile of cow-dung plucked from the depths of hell? No flaming please, and keep all armpit stenches away from the servers (cryptic metaphor!).

[NOTE: The first six paragraphs are ripped from a review I did of Sonic the Movie for school homework - luckily, it got an A*!]

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

...but the voice acting is pretty good, too. It’s just a crushing blow that the likes of Martin Burke (the superbly talented voice of Sonic) aren’t better known, as many of us would probably like to hear him as a lead character in the next Disney movie.

Lol wut? Either I missed something when 'many' of the Sonic fandom even liked Burke. I myself enjoyed his version of Sonic in the movie, but almost everywhere I go someone is usually complaining about how much he sucked haha. Wait a tick though, this is the Sonic fandom - voice actor debates are just all over the place. I'm so dumb for not realizing that sooner D: D: D: D: D:.

In all seriousness though, this movie was great. I enjoyed it, and still do actually. Personally I wish there'd have been a Sonic movie also done in the Riders opening's style. It'd have been nice to look at imo 8)

With regards to voices, I love them. They don't sound much like the modern ones, but there WERE no modern ones back then so it's not a big deal really. I would happily have that cocky Sonic in the modern games, though I don't mind the 4kids voices either anyway.

As for the movie... loved it. The only thing about it that makes me sad is a lack of OST.