Awoo.

Lets talk Sonic The Movie. Your thoughts

SABRINA

In addition, the animation is drawn with such a high level of detail and vibrancy that it looks as though it could have originated from the prestigious studios of DreamWorks animation, not from a small videogame company based in Japan; it really is shockingly brilliant.

Erm... Dreamworks American-style CG animation can't compare with Sonic the Movie as they are two completely different styles. While I love Sonic the Movie's animation, it's pretty much typical mid-90's children's anime. Characters often stand still with their mouth opening and closing, then twist into a new pose. Occasionally there will be a sweet action scene, but even then it is closer to Dragonball than any Dreamworks movie.

Also, Sonic the Movie is commonly known by the name "Sonic OVA" aka "Sonic Original Video Animation" and was released on May 31, 1996.

Congrats on the A, just thought I'd clarify some things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally I think the Mario movie manages to save itself by being so bad it's good; it's so ridiculous and completely disconnected from the games that it's impossible for me to get worked up over inaccuracies, so I just sit back and have fun with it.

But the OVA, yeah, it's pretty awesome. Miles better than any of the other Sonic cartoons, even if it does create its own separate continuity without much connection to the actual games. It's lighthearted, fast-paced, manages to tell a decent story, and doesn't make me groan (except for Metal Sonic's voice).

Grats on getting the "A"!

I like Martin Burke, and Knuckles' voice actor(Whatever his name is. Sorry, whoever-you-are!). Tails, on the other hand.... eeehhhhhh.....

The extra characters are great, they don't overshadow Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles in any way! That and they've got excellent personalities, as well.

I love the Old Man. He needs to return.

So does the hat.

You could say I'm very biased - I have watched the movie over 350 times now, after all. ^^'

• Thumbs Up 1

There is – without a shadow of a doubt – an obvious trend in movies spun off from video games; they all suck in at least one way: the Resident Evil series lay claim to some of the hammiest acting known to man, DooM laid waste to the storyline of the game, and the Super Mario Bros. Movie? Well, let’s just say that it mimicked all of DooM’s problems, and threw in a few of its own; dire special effects plagued virtually every single scene, and the diabolical quality of script will turn your stomach within minutes. These outstanding faults turned what could have been an adrenaline-fuelled blast-fest into a Corn-and-Cheese microwave ready-meal.

So now Sonic the Movie enters the fray, and we expect nothing more than a severely corny load of badly cell-shaded trash with awful acting and agonizing animation, further marred by an abysmal script.

It will come as a massive surprise then, when I say that this spin-off is actually rather good! Rather than being a complete carbon-copy of the game’s storyline, STM (because we all know that acronyms are so “now”) has its own charming plot which is littered with humour, and packed to the absolute brim with a huge array of pleasant quirks and twists, all the while keeping in perfect synchronisation with the story of the videogame series. Wonderful!

I think the main reason for this is that Sega had a closer hand in the film than most companies do with movie spin offs of their games. Even if Uwe Boll was a GOOD film maker, it wouldn't change the fact that there is a degree of seperation between his and the original creator's envisionment of the franchise in question. That was less of an issue here.

That said, I personally don't think that Sonic's movie was a particularly good one, just mediocre. The art style was beautiful, the dialogue was fun (usually), the animation was humorous and the music was really enjoyable and varied. But the characterization and voice work were mixed bags. But my biggest gripe is that it just seemed... rushed. I don't mean rushed like the movie's development was rushed but rather that the movie just seemed to want to be over as soon as possible.

It just seems to expect that you already know the background and asks you to go along with whatever plot points it throws at you rather than easing us into the setting and giving time for development. We're barely introduced to Sonic and Tails when we're hit by the fact that the world has two "dimensions", in the lower of which some apocalypse happened (which was NEVER EVEN EXPLAINED.)

And while the relationship with Sonic and Metal Sonic had some interesting potential, it just felt shallow most of the time. They just seemed like rivals going at it and they never seemed to show any major feelings about each other until the end, and even at that point it was hard for me to sympathize with Metal Sonic when he died since he didn't have any emotions of his own. And don't tell me that I'm too thick to see it- he had no facial expressions, standard robot dialogue and everything he thought was controlled by Sonic so he couldn't really think for himself.

I really think the movie could have stood to have an extra half hour to be able to flesh things out. But as it is, while I love the art style and music as they are, I would have preferred even Sonic 06's plot to this one. At least the rivalry between Shadow and Mephiles has SOME depth and it wouldn't have any gameplay flow to break as a movie. Yeah, yeah, commence flaming.

Edited by SuperStingray

Erm... Dreamworks American-style CG animation can't compare with Sonic the Movie as they are two completely different styles. While I love Sonic the Movie's animation, it's pretty much typical mid-90's children's anime. Characters often stand still with their mouth opening and closing, then twist into a new pose. Occasionally there will be a sweet action scene, but even then it is closer to Dragonball than any Dreamworks movie.

Also, Sonic the Movie is commonly known by the name "Sonic OVA" aka "Sonic Original Video Animation" and was released on May 31, 1996.

Congrats on the A, just thought I'd clarify some things.

I was talking about the quality of DreamWorks when compared to Sonic the Movie, and not the actual style; that would just be silly.

And in this topic, I'm talking about the English dub released on September 8, 1999.

But thanks for the congratulation!

• Thumbs Up 1

I lie to you not, I don't feel like making a big opinion post about the movie. The movie was real good, but their voices could have been better (except Eggman). Overall, if I can find it (IMO) for a reasonably price I'll buy it.

Little extra I like to add. If they did this well on a movie (more then ten years ago) they could do better, animation wise, making a new OVA. Base the movie off the video game of SA, or SA2. Heck, they could do better with the original, if done right. Go into more detail with the movie, change the voice cast up (not using Sonic X), then add more characters to it (lol, no Shadow or Rouge) and you'll have yourself a good movie.

But this has to be done right, if they want it to be a success.

Not a big fan of the writing or the voice acting. In fact overall the movie kinda sucked, but the writing was the worst.

Edited by Kiljoy

The Sonic OVA stands as my favourite Sonic animation, along with Man of the Year, or the Sonic CD FMVs. I’ll speak mostly of original in Japanese.

Sonic, Metal Sonic and Eggman are the stars of this show, with Tails, Knuckles as secondary. Owl and Sera are original characters and like them or not, they never step out of secondary roles. This is important. I’m not seeing a Sonic show for the extras.

All of the canon characters have their original design and personality, which is a very big plus. Sonic has quills instead of the saw / fin that appears in other shows. He’s portrayed as impatient and with attitude, the one that is cool, not the one that makes him a street thug candidate. Tails is cute, dependent, and silly and has a major role on this, with has a personality that complements Sonic’s. Knuckles shows up as a reliable ally later on, apparently he left Angel Island for awhile to go treasure hunting. His flying instead of gliding abilities annoy me a bit, but it’s fine to overlook since they only show up twice.

Eggman is a threat, plays Sonic very well so he can finish Metal Sonic, without sacrificing his comedic side. It’s true I don’t enjoy the romantic sub-plot or total annihilation of planet’s life. Metal makes up for this flaw though. He gives the heroes a hard time and Sonic actually gets beaten up at points, it’s a fair fight for both sides. It’s something that we never see in any other Sonic tv show (except some instances of Sonic X). In the end, of course he gets destroyed, but it’s a kid’s show and this is expected. It happened to all of Sonic’s shows, this one wouldn’t be a exception, it’s part of the evil side to lose.

It’s also closer to the games than any other show, featuring the original designs and behaviours, springs, spikes, zones, the Tornado (and Tails’ workshop, who survived to see Sonic Adventure). The original settings are surreal and suit Sonic. Eggman’s base might be the classic grey evil base, but it’s never boring. There’s a huge neon light of his face outside and has several funny yet effective badniks and surreal motives inside. All in one, it has a charm of it's own, without deviating from what makes Sonic, well Sonic.

Also, the plot is good and doesn't take itself seriously. It has a lot of silly points, so it's not meant to be dissected.

To end this lengthy post, the HAT. Enough said. I also like the Sonic flowers and the OWL as well, bring it on.

I don’t think the animation was weak. Even if some say it is, it doesn’t matter. It’s not weak enough to put anyone off and again, I’m not seeing a Sonic show to look at the very detailed scenery that still manages to be bland.

I found it hilarious how in contrast to the games, everyone EXCEPT for Knuckles lives on floating islands in the sky.

It's a-maz-ing! I love the OVA. I taped it off of Starz years ago. I used to watch it all the time to the point where I knew practically every line. In fact, my friend and I had a conversation about it in August during a get together:

My Friend: Hey Eboni, did you ever see that Sonic movie? The cartoon one?

Me:...Have I seen it? HAVE I SEEN IT? "You might know everything I'm going to do but that won't help you since I know everything you're going to do, strange isn't it!!!!"

She laughed so hard.

The only thing I dislike are the voices. Well, particularly Sonic and Tails' voices. I think they sound painful.

I love this movie. Simple as that.

I recently added it to my list of content on my live stream channel because I adore it so much. I honestly believe that it is by far the best Sonic related medium outside of the games themselves.

HOLAS:

Sonic the Movie was the only cartoon I ever liked :__)

It's so awesome:

- It was full of japanese humour (i love japan, where sex isn't taboo).

- Sonic was just as I always pictured him.

- Tails was awesome in this film, his relation with Sonic was just too awesome, i would love to see that kind of relationship in current plots :( , i would like to notice it's also awesome watching tails doing things like surfing, moving almost as fast as sonic and having his own share of "personality" xD (as you can see, i'm a tails fan :P )

- Knuckles was full of Win with his hat, I miss that hat, I'm sure that hat was magic and gave knuckles the gift of flying xD.

- Metal Sonic as the main antagonist!!! ToT (though i hated it's voice).

- Eggman was pure genius, I loved the mix of madness, evilness, and wackyness. :)

- Sera was just there to be annoying, it was almost intentional, so i didn't mind... it also seems like a prototype of the current amy.

- The old/olw man was just too funny. :lol:

- and i'm indifferent about the rest. =/

I love this movie, it's a shame I couldn't find it in a legal way... i would love to have that DVD.

also:

redmenace's post...

this. xD

EDIT: i don't know how to quote properly :(

Edited by imarafan

I liked the movie. The English cast were good, I loved Sonic's voice and the relationship between him and Tails. He was very tolerant of him half the time, not hiding his anger when Tails got on his nerves. Knuckles had the best prop in the whole movie and I would like to see him wear that hat in future games.

Eggman got a lot of screentime and was made to be human not just some mad scientist. He had feelings and fell in love with Sera, who played off his emotions.

Metal Sonic's fate was also very touching, it's like he realized that Sonic should go on living which is why he allows himself to be destroyed.

I think it was very funny, it never took itself seriously and each character to seemed to play their part without seeming out of place.

I think this movie is a bit underated. I mean Sara is obviously one of the best Female Sonic characters out there and pretty much beats that one girl from Naruto by 3 years for being a human version of Amy.

Also this was the first time the President was shown and interestingly he was voiced by Edwin Neal, who also voiced Eggman.

I seriously think that there could be a better fandub than that of Psy-guy's "Sonic Bastardized".

I think this movie is a bit underated. I mean Sara is obviously one of the best Female Sonic characters out there...

If by best, you mean most annoying, then yes. Edited by SuperStingray