Awoo.

Let's beat this off the high-horse- we're not the worst fandom

Mauro Fonseca

I could go on and on about the dumbassery that goes on in other fanbases but I'm going to cut things short by saying this. The sonic fanbase is one of the worst fanbases ever, but we're certainly not THE worst.

Edited by Johnny Boy
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sonic fandom is bad yes. But it's been singled out unfairly without question. I've never seen people call out the Harry Potter fandom's obsession with writing/drawing pedophilic human art/fiction except for Rowling herself. I've never seen anyone call out the Smash Bros fandom's fixation with tiers, hatred of casual players and vehement dislike of nerfing to the point that they took it upon themselves to hack wavedashing into Brawl. And although I have seen vicious coupling wars in Sonic fandom, none I've seen can hold a candle to that seen in Final Fantasy fandom.

The Sonic fandom is rounded in it's badness over many aspects. But is each aspect that contributes to the badness as batshit insane as it's equivalents in many other fandoms? Certainly not.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 5

You know what makes this fandom different from any other fandom I've been/still am apart of?

This is the only fandom that needs to keep telling itself that it's not the worst... or has to deal with someone going off the rails who declares 'This is the worst fandom.'

I don't know why we still have these discussions or the issue still keeps being brought up because it's really not even an issue anymore. For lack of a better example, SOS is one hell of a big 'we're fucking great' counter argument to that if you need it. Not yet has the thing turned into a big punch-up, nor has any of the mini-meets people have had.

Theres idiots and special cases in every fandom... They're easilly ignored.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is no such thing as a good fanbase, every fanbase is equally shit.

Good night, sleep tight, end of story.

• Thumbs Up 9

I agree; no fandom is the worst, however.

All fanbases can be retarded, elitist or insane. Maybe all of the above. The Zelda fans, the Metroid fans, the Mario fans, the Star Wars, Star Trek fans, are no different.

Batshit, retarded mofos. tongue.gif

Edited by Tatsumaki
  • Thumbs Up 1

I could go on and on about the dumbassery that goes on in other fanbases but I'm going to cut things short by saying this. The sonic fanbase is one of the worst fanbases ever, but we're certainly not THE worst.

No, it really isn't. The Sonic fanbase is "bad" because of three reasons: The massive splits in continuity and gameplay styles (Classic vs. Modern, SEGA vs. Archie, Adventure vs. The World, etc.), the number of people who think "I like Sonic and SEGA so I should like everything they do and you should too", and the vehement obsession with being the worst fanbase to plague the Earth. Let me make this clear, this very website rarely made us look bad as fans until moron after moron decided to make snarky comments about how we're the scum of the Earth or some shit every single time someone got in a discussion. All I need to do is point at " I'm sorry, but this shit makes us look like complete morons to anyone looking from the outside. It's bad enough people are making others look like idiots and evil villains for disliking something in a Sonic game, but the number of comments saying nothing more than "Wow we suck lol" does nothing good for our reputation. Just saiyan.

But when you think about it, two of those three things are things every fanbase has to deal with. Food for thought.

And in case anyone still doesn't get it: the only reason we're any worse than every other fanbase is because nobody wants to admit that we're, contrary to popular belief, intelligent, reasonable people.

• Thumbs Up 3

Every fanbase is shit, it's just that we as Sonic fans keep getting singled out for no reason.

Back when Megaman Legends 3 got cancelled, one of the comments on the Dev Room site compared the terrible, awful Sonic fanbase, who complain and bitch no matter what SEGA does, to the wonderful, saintly Megaman fanbase. It's ridiculous. Whats worse is people who make comments like that seem to have this stigma that Sonic 06 was the only Sonic game ever released.

Harry Potter fans, Kingdom Hearts fans, Transformers fans, and ESPECALLY Twlight fans (who have literally physically attacked each other and others over conflicting opinions about the series.) are MUCH worse than Sonic fans, yet we're the ones getting kicked into the dirt.

Edited by LimeTH
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every fanbase is shit, it's just that we as Sonic fans keep getting singled out for no reason.

Back when Megaman Legends 3 got cancelled, one of the comments on the Dev Room site compared the terrible, awful Sonic fanbase, who complain and bitch no matter what SEGA does, to the wonderful, saintly Megaman fanbase. It's ridiculous. Whats worse is people who make comments like that seem to have this stigma that Sonic 06 was the only Sonic game ever released.

Harry Potter fans, Kingdom Hearts fans, Transformers fans, and ESPECALLY Twlight fans (who have literally physically attacked each other and others over conflicting opinions about the series.) are MUCH worse than Sonic fans, yet we're the ones getting kicked into the dirt.

I never got how KH fans are bad(although every fanbase has it's issues.) aside from the creepy fan fic and pictures what is so bad about them? They agree that the games are becoming milked. there not sucking squares dicks so I don't get it.mellow.gif I mean I would kinda consider myself a KH fan but I'm not horrible or bad.

But back on topic the sonic fans are so not the worst. People just seem to put us all into one group after seeing the BIG CRAZY fans. They assume were all like that. there are lots of people that have different tastes in the fanbase that doesn't make us bad. It makes us individuals. Although we're FAR from perfect.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

I think it's because we seem so different because Sonic fanbase is a collective term. Building off of what Dissent said, we have too many rifts in what Sonic is in the first place, so we're not a divided fanbase, but rather several fanbases trying to get along together under one name. It's like including the Star Wars fans in the Star Trek fandom or the casual Brawlers in the competitive Smash scene. They just, convinently, have different names, so they have their distance, whereas we're all Sonic fans.

• Thumbs Up 3

I never got how KH fans are bad(although every fanbase has it's issues.) aside from the creepy fan fic and pictures what is so bad about them? They agree that the games are becoming milked. there not sucking squares dicks so I don't get it.mellow.gif

I haven't really followed Kingdom Hearts for a long time. I just recall a lot of shitty fans and jokes about said shitty fans. For all I know this could have changed.

Every fanbase has its share of stupid, but it seems to me that the Sonic fanbase is the one that makes me facepalm the most. That doesn't necessarily make it the worst, but as a whole I can't really call it good, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, it really isn't. The Sonic fanbase is "bad" because of three reasons: The massive splits in continuity and gameplay styles (Classic vs. Modern, SEGA vs. Archie, Adventure vs. The World, etc.), the number of people who think "I like Sonic and SEGA so I should like everything they do and you should too", and the vehement obsession with being the worst fanbase to plague the Earth. Let me make this clear, this very website rarely made us look bad as fans until moron after moron decided to make snarky comments about how we're the scum of the Earth or some shit every single time someone got in a discussion. All I need to do is point at " I'm sorry, but this shit makes us look like complete morons to anyone looking from the outside. It's bad enough people are making others look like idiots and evil villains for disliking something in a Sonic game, but the number of comments saying nothing more than "Wow we suck lol" does nothing good for our reputation. Just saiyan.

But when you think about it, two of those three things are things every fanbase has to deal with. Food for thought.

And in case anyone still doesn't get it: the only reason we're any worse than every other fanbase is because nobody wants to admit that we're, contrary to popular belief, intelligent, reasonable people.

there's also group number 4, you know, the high level of fanshit that the fanbase is plagued with.

Shitty recolor FCs, horrible fanfics, the high amount of furry rule34 art, etc.

and before you say, "every fandom has this!!!!1111" WE'RE practically the only fanbase that pretty much gets singled out for this shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen extremist groups in nearly every fanbase. Nothing in the Sonic fanbase even really stands out in that regard (which actually makes me wonder how it became such a punching bag in the first place. I have a pretty good idea, but I don't want to piss anyone off saying it).

Modern/Classic split? Go to a Star Wars forum and say you like Episode I. Go to a Star Trek forum and say you liked Enterprise (or the most recent movie). Go to a Friendship is Magic forum and say you liked G1.

BAAAW GREEN EYES!? Go to a Pokemon forum and say that you think the most recent Pokemon designs are better than the original 251.

Constant bitching about how Thing X makes Sonic RUINED FOREVER? The Transformers fandom literally invented that phrase, and have been expressing it (albeit occasionally in a mocking tone) since before the Sonic franchise even existed.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

I think it's because we seem so different because Sonic fanbase is a collective term. Building off of what Dissent said, we have too many rifts in what Sonic is in the first place, so we're not a divided fanbase, but rather several fanbases trying to get along together under one name. It's like including the Star Wars fans in the Star Trek fandom or the casual Brawlers in the competitive Smash scene. They just, convinently, have different names, so they have their distance, whereas we're all Sonic fans.

But again, believe it or not, this is not something new or exclusive. See the debates of Classic Doctor Who vs New Doctor Who vs Moffatt Doctor Who vs Audioplay Doctor Who, or the debate of G1 Transformers vs Film Transformers vs Marvel US Transformers vs Marvel UK Transformers etc.

EDIT: Oh God Tornado I had completely forgotten about that.

GENERATION 3 POKÉMON SUCK!!!!

NO THEY DON'T THEY'RE THE BEST THEY'RE ORIGINAL DESIGNS!!!!

Edited by The KKM

Whether or not we're one of the worst communities is not my concern so much as the moniker being thrown around by actual Sonic fans indiscriminately. Any complaint someone makes becomes undeniable proof that we're the worst people on the Internet, and some of the smug fans who say as such just like rubbing people's nose in it and high-fiving others who share the same thought, which is tactless and completely counter-intuitive to the so-called message they're trying to send.

• Thumbs Up 6

I almost included Pokemon in my list of terrible fanbases. You think Sonic has too many characters? Pokemon has nearly over six hundred, not counting all the humans.

Now what I don't understand is why some people WANT this to be the worst fandom ever. It doesn't add up. We're getting upturned noses by some of the most idiotic fanbases in history, why is this something to be proud of?

• Thumbs Up 3

I almost included Pokemon in my list of terrible fanbases. You think Sonic has too many characters? Pokemon has nearly over six hundred, not counting all the humans.

Now what I don't understand is why some people WANT this to be the worst fandom ever. It doesn't add up. We're getting upturned noses by some of the most idiotic fanbases in history, why is this something to be proud of?

Because it makes great fuel for debates.

The Zelda fans, the Metroid fans, the Mario fans, the Star Wars, Star Trek fans, are no different.

The Mario fans!? Different!? Please, I need proof of an insane, broken Mario fanbase that scoffs at anything remotely different while another part of it praises it.

Well, if anything, everyone seemed to hate Sunshine.

Yeah, since when is the Mario fanbase crazy and broken? Mario games are always so universally amazing that there's almost nothing for them to complain about.

I recall quite a lot of internal squabbling when NSMBW was in development. Squabbling that only intensified when the game actually came out.

I would also wager there's a bit of tension in the linearity vs. open world debate between the Galaxies and 64 which may have been intensified when Miyamoto made an interesting statement about the former, but I'm getting this vibe from GAF debates. I could be totally off.

Yeah, since when is the Mario fanbase crazy and broken? Mario games are always so universally amazing that there's almost nothing for them to complain about.

The only time I see arguments in the Mario fanbase is over whether Mario bros 2 and Sunshine are actually good or not. But other than that, Mario's fanbase is sane.

Well I highly doubt that the mario fans are picture perfect fancy polite fans. If anything people call mario fans crazy because they think they buy EVERY mario game released. Oh yeah and the galaxy games seem to be a big debate in their fanbase.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost