Awoo.

Let's beat this off the high-horse- we're not the worst fandom

Mauro Fonseca

Oh yeah. I had completely forgotten about the Lost Levels/Doki Doki Panic debates. There have been arguments that have broken out here over those two.

Weren't there arguments over Waluigi back when he was first introduced? It seems that everyone loves him now.

I never noticed any kind of united Mario Fandom, but the discussion they would have on Forums and stuff must be boring as hell.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, what I'm getting from this conversation is:

The Sonic Fanbase is essentially the "Jack of All Trades, Master Of None" when it comes to being a horrible fanbase, while every other horrible fanbase tend to be very horrible in one specific part ... or something like that?

Edited by Enigma2

As much as I love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic I cannot stand the fanbase that show has created with its reaction images.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic I cannot stand the fanbase that show has created with its reaction images.

the reaction images are probably the only good thing out of the fanbase itself.

considering how the worst parts of the fanbase can be.

Edited by Dr Jackstraw

So, what I'm getting from this conversation is:

The Sonic Fanbase is essentially the "Jack of All Trades, Master Of None" when it comes to being a horrible fanbase, while every other horrible fanbase tend to be very horrible in one specific part ... or something like that?

No. As an example, close examination would make it hard to tell the difference between the Transformers fanbase and the Sonic fanbase.

Oh my god why would I link to this.

My god, and I thought sonic passion was horrifying.

The Mario fans!? Different!? Please, I need proof of an insane, broken Mario fanbase that scoffs at anything remotely different while another part of it praises it.

Well, if anything, everyone seemed to hate Sunshine.

Can't really tell you much. Mario's history is almost flawless, there can't really be so many complaints.

The most I could tell you is yeah, the controversy with Sunshine, (which personally, I like more than 64, but meh) and if people like Mario 3 or Mario World more.

Yes, you are right; I don't recall seeing anything like that from Mario fans. But fanbases are fanbases. Had the same thing that happened to Sonic befall on Mario, some fans would be clinging on the nostalgia clouds, begging Nintendo to bring Mario back to the glory days. It's... Not very different, at all.

And Pokémon is sorta complicated. There's a lot of fans that love all Pokémon Regions, but some just cling on to Kanto and Johto and simply dislike or hate the later ones.

Yeah, since when is the Mario fanbase crazy and broken? Mario games are always so universally amazing that there's almost nothing for them to complain about.

I remember hanging out at the NSMBW boards on GameFAQS a few years ago and a lot of Mario fans was bitching about how "mediocre" the game is compare to Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World. Even Super Paper Mario (I love it btw), it seems like the Mario fans don't like it that much either.

We aren't the worst fanbase I know of. There are others (I won't say names for obvious reasons) that are far worse that us. We just have big chunks of our fanbase that are fools, sadly. But hey, every fanbase has those guys.

Short, sweet, simple, and to the point.

I remember hanging out at the NSMBW boards on GameFAQS a few years ago and a lot of Mario fans was bitching about how "mediocre" the game is compare to Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World. Even Super Paper Mario (I love it btw), it seems like the Mario fans don't like it that much either.

I'm guessing Mario fans have abnormally high standards and expectations. Makes sense.

No. As an example, close examination would make it hard to tell the difference between the Transformers fanbase and the Sonic fanbase.

Oh my god why would I link to this.

So MANY PONIES!wacko.gif

On the topic: I really don't care what people say I love this fanbase. There are so many people with different interests in this base that makes me think how sonic is special to attract to so many different people and that I am proud to by one of them.

Besides with it sonic most probably wouldn't be alive, because together we are strong WE ARE THE SONIC FANBASE FOR SONIC FOREVER!

• Thumbs Up 1

That Pony fanbase video makes me want to hang my head in shame, though it's not like other fanbases don't have complete retards like them

The way I see it, the Sonic fanbase is like the world of Fallout 3, SSMB is the Vault, every other Sonic forum (that i've seen) is the world outside the vault. Simple as that. I've honestly yet to see a fanbase that is worse, although Zelda might get there soon and Metroid's fanbase seemed to crumble after Other M.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I like the Pony fanbase. The most you can accuse them of is being overenthusiastic which is hardly a bad thing. I don't see or hear about them tearing each other up over trivial matters; rather, it's usually the non-Pony fans doing the brunt if not all of the vicious attacking. Seems all rainbows and sunshine over there, and I'd wager some Sonic fans could learn a thing or two from them. 8(

• Thumbs Up 1

the reaction images are probably the only good thing out of the fanbase itself.

Hey look! It's My Little Pony Passion!

Edited by Ananze
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yeah I used to think only the Sonic fanbase argued over trivial things but then I heard about the Diablo fanbase photoshopping screenshots of Diablo 3 in order to make them darker. Or for another example, my sister is a Harry Potter fan who raged that Hermione's dress in the film was pink, while in the book is was blue. We may be petty but we're not alone in this.

The sonic fanbase has improved a lot. Sure, we still have a lot of trolls, but with the sonic games overall improving, people don't bitch about the game that much. All they do is attack Sonic Heroes or Sonic Advanced 3.

I'd say that the worst fanbase is Mario, as they bitch about even the most finest details.

The Zelda fanbase is starting to become like the Sonic fanbase.

Wind Waker comes out. People complain that it's graphics suck.

Twilight Princess comes out. People say that it's too much like Ocarina of Time, and they say that Wind Waker is better.

And then there are some Zelda fans who think that Ocarina of Time is the last good Zelda game.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think the Sonic fandom is just the fandom that is pretty much infamously known arguing about the flaws in the franchise, that compared to all the crap involving the critical reception of the games and Sonic X over the past several years among the inner fandom controversy made the fandom not the worst, but the most known. I guess that's been said already but yeah.

I've never seen anyone call out the Smash Bros fandom's fixation with tiers, hatred of casual players and vehement dislike of nerfing to the point that they took it upon themselves to hack wavedashing into Brawl.

You're complaining about the Smash fanbase? Are you kidding? Smash fan wars may get insane sometimes, and the pettiness is stupid, but the Smash fandom is one of the most amazing fandoms I've ever seen. After they finished complaining about everything the was wrong with Brawl (less skill needed, unbalanced, removed characters, etc.) they went ahead and somehow managed to do something about it: fixing the physics, adding back all the characters...and pretty much revolutionizing Wii game hacking in the process.

If we were the Smash fandom, instead of complaining about the terrible physics of Sonic 4, we would've just gone in and rewrote the coding and fixed the level design of the game ourselves, then send the "fixed" game to Sega and tell them "This is how we want Episode 2 to be like. Do it."

I'm being defensive because, if it wasn't for finding out that the Smash community went ahead and "fixed" Brawl, I would've stopped playing the game years ago. But their version I actually find a lot funner, and I still play it to this day. Sorry for the off-topic-ness. unsure.gif

Anyway, the Sonic fanbase: We're not nearly as bad as everyone seems to think. We have to stop fooling ourselves. laugh.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

The main reason the Sonic fandom gets it so bad is because of its direct association with the furry community and all of their personalized demons, so to many people it's the equivalent of two bad communities (if not more) for the price of one. Our fandom is just like anyone else's otherwise - chalk it up to bad luck on our part.

The Zelda fanbase is starting to become like the Sonic fanbase.

Wind Waker comes out. People complain that it's graphics suck.

Twilight Princess comes out. People say that it's too much like Ocarina of Time, and they say that Wind Waker is better.

And then there are some Zelda fans who think that Ocarina of Time is the last good Zelda game.

A fandom isn't some kind of fucking hive mind like some people like to believe - every one of note has sects, each of which has different tastes and different perceptions of what the dream game of their franchise should be like. Taking alternating words out of people's mouths and trying to accuse a fanbase of hypocrisy is just silly, because it's almost universally never the same person making any two opposite complaints in the first place.

EDIT:

If we were the Smash fandom, instead of complaining about the terrible physics of Sonic 4, we would've just gone in and rewrote the coding and fixed the level design of the game ourselves, then send the "fixed" game to Sega and tell them "This is how we want Episode 2 to be like. Do it."

Ahem.

Edited by Blacklightning
  • Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of fandoms, I wonder which fandoms are more pissed off right now- the Megaman fanbase (MML3, Universe cancelled; Megaman not appearing in MVC3) or Spyro's fanbase (Skylanders).

Edited by Ananze
  • Thumbs Up 1