Awoo.

Let's beat this off the high-horse- we're not the worst fandom

Mauro Fonseca

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but coming from a fan who enjoys every version of Sonic, I just get sad when I see fighting amoungst the fanbase. We may disagree on things, but at the end of the day, we're all fans of a speedy blue do gooder hedgehog, and that has to count for something doesn't it?

If I could point out anything, it's that I do wish fans would stop focusing so much on what they dislike, and focus more on what they enjoy, then maybe they'd be happier peoples. I want to see Sonic fans smile again, and I've seen small glances in recent days. So my advice? Instead of laughing at that Archie Sonic fan for liking a comic exclusive character, or ripping into a fan of Sonic X for it's Japanese roots, step back and think about how diversity makes this fandom stronger, not weaker. To end this note, everyone just have fun and be happy. It works for Sonic :3

You want to know why the Sonic fandom is considered the worst?

It's because our nutjobs scream the loudest. Add that with a penchant with them bitching over the most minute detail, shitting their pants over fan pairings/recolors, the high level of immaturity they show (e.g. I want to kill a real comic book writer over what happened to a fictional character) and the level of hypocrisy ( I totally hate pedophilia, but let me draw this picture of Tails bonking Cream) and your fanbase is rife with the ingredients to be infamous to the whole internet.

Because of this, I can name many, many infamous people associated who has drug this fanbase down in the dirt with them because of their actions have been relegated to one or many of the above.

I volunteered at a convention last month, and mentioned the two cursed little words "Sonic Fanbase" to many people including Hetalia cosplayers and the reaction is always a distressed groan. The Hetalia cosplayers knew exactly what I was talking about since they mentioned that being longtime fans of the Hetalia series, acknowledged the demented direction that their own fanbase has headed over the last two years.

Yes there are fanbases out there that are just as bad, but when you compare them to the amount of famous internet fools associated with the Sonic fanbase like Gonterman, they still have a looooooong way until they reach our status.

• Thumbs Up 8

The problem is, the Sonic fan base is certainly one of the most prominent online. The bigger a fan base, the higher the number of idiots, trolls and other such twisted ideals you get. I am sure that this has happened to a certain degree in the Mario community; but then I'd argue that the Mario community isn't anywhere near as large or prominent as the Sonic community. Yeah, the scene there seems to be a lot more sane, but I can't remember the last time I paid attention to the Mario fan base for anything in particular. I certainly don't think a Summer of Mario could happen in their community.

So it's swings and roundabouts really. The more prominent and successful a community worldwide, the higher your chances of finding ideas, concepts and other things that you really don't want to bother with.

• Thumbs Up 9

One of the reasons people say this is the worst fanbase is because they have never explored any other

fanbase; others may say it just to sound smart.

The truth is EVERY fanbase has its problems.

One of the problems of this fanbase is that there are a certain group of "fans" that seek to destroy Modern Sonic

and everything related to him.

They are a cancer in the fanbase and ruining it for everyone.

One of the reasons people say this is the worst fanbase is because they have never explored any other

fanbase; others may say it just to sound smart.

The truth is EVERY fanbase has its problems.

One of the problems of this fanbase is that there are a certain group of "fans" that seek to destroy Modern Sonic

and everything related to him.

They are a cancer in the fanbase and ruining it for everyone.

I find the Adventure fanboys to be far worse than the classic ones, to be honest.

The problem is, the Sonic fan base is certainly one of the most prominent online. The bigger a fan base, the higher the number of idiots, trolls and other such twisted ideals you get. I am sure that this has happened to a certain degree in the Mario community; but then I'd argue that the Mario community isn't anywhere near as large or prominent as the Sonic community. Yeah, the scene there seems to be a lot more sane, but I can't remember the last time I paid attention to the Mario fan base for anything in particular. I certainly don't think a Summer of Mario could happen in their community.

So it's swings and roundabouts really. The more prominent and successful a community worldwide, the higher your chances of finding ideas, concepts and other things that you really don't want to bother with.

This was the point I was trying to make earlier, but this is how I feel about it pretty much. Also, despite how fucked up the Sonic fanbase is, we are certainly one of the most dedicated ones out there (SoS and Sonic Boom are prime examples), and no one can deny that.

Edited by edge.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can see why people hate this fanbase though. Sonic fans have done some dumbass stuff over the years. I'm going to quote what I said from the sega forum:

Why is the sonic fanbase hated? Lets see.... Complaining about everything, Retro fanboys (people like nichoci), retro***S (aknotholeresident), Arguably liking bad games, Fan characters, Fan fiction, recolors, Wanting only THIS franchise in particular to be 100 percent perfect or 100 percent the way they want for some reason, The fact that some fans are also fans of thomas the tank engine and even barney...BARNEY!, Also their's THIS...click if you dare..., The fandom, Stuped idiotic boycots, Couples no one outside the fanbase likes like "sonadow" or "shadamy" I could go OOOOON and OOOOOON. The question is would you like me to? For every good fan, Theres 2 bad fans to replace him/her.

Also don't forget the sonic fanbase slogan! "I'm Wright, your wrong. Get off the internet" At least thats for 32% of the fans...

I stick with this fanbase just because of how...unique...it is. I wonder what their going to do next...

Of course theirs plenty of good fans though they always get overwritten by the bad fans.

And then theirs sonic passion...

ALIX HENRIOOOOOOOOOL *lol she actually got over her sonic addiction I think*

Also more reasons:

Some kid researched for 3 years just to get a pet hedgehog in his town where hedgehog's were not allowed as pets...I'm DEAD serious...,

Their was this "fan" on sonic passion was showing off her genitalia on the internet And selling her pantie hoes for money And she eventually moved to Mexico with his boyfriend and became his ***** for a living. Eventually she got a child and called the baby "yuji naka amber". True story. Sad ain't it? SOME sonic fans have these extremely weird...fetishes....,A good portion of sonic fans are also furries. IDC about furries but their usually hated across the internet so....ya.

stay tuned for more after these comercial breaks.

Edited by Mephiles550

I would argue that Fan Characters can be good. But they are heavily overshadowed by the bad ones, making them look bad as well.

Ironically, that's like our fanbase.

Also, I have a fan character...sue me.

I can see why people hate this fanbase though. Sonic fans have done some dumbass stuff over the years. I'm going to quote what I said from the sega forum:

Why is the sonic fanbase hated? Lets see.... Complaining about everything, Retro fanboys (people like nichoci), retro***S (aknotholeresident), Arguably liking bad games, Fan characters, Fan fiction, recolors, Wanting only THIS franchise in particular to be 100 percent perfect or 100 percent the way they want for some reason, The fact that some fans are also fans of thomas the tank engine and even barney...BARNEY!, Also their's THIS...click if you dare..., The fandom, Stuped idiotic boycots, Couples no one outside the fanbase likes like "sonadow" or "shadamy" I could go OOOOON and OOOOOON. The question is would you like me to? For every good fan, Theres 2 bad fans to replace him/her.

Also don't forget the sonic fanbase slogan! "I'm Wright, your wrong. Get off the internet" At least thats for 32% of the fans...

I stick with this fanbase just because of how...unique...it is. I wonder what their going to do next...

Of course theirs plenty of good fans though they always get overwritten by the bad fans.

And then theirs sonic passion...

ALIX HENRIOOOOOOOOOL *lol she actually got over her sonic addiction I think*

Also more reasons:

Some kid researched for 3 years just to get a pet hedgehog in his town where hedgehog's were not allowed as pets...I'm DEAD serious...,

Their was this "fan" on sonic passion was showing off her genitalia on the internet And selling her pantie hoes for money And she eventually moved to Mexico with his boyfriend and became his ***** for a living. Eventually she got a child and called the baby "yuji naka amber". True story. Sad ain't it? SOME sonic fans have these extremely weird...fetishes....,A good portion of sonic fans are also furries. IDC about furries but their usually hated across the internet so....ya.

stay tuned for more after these comercial breaks.

HEY THAT WAS ME! STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS I'M A HUMAN TO!angry.gif

Joking aside(that really isn't me) I always wonder if games like SHTH or S06 never existed(for real not just in peoples minds) How would the fans be looked upon? The same, better, worse I don't know.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Even if it was inspired by a love of Sonic, what in the world is wrong for successfully lobbying against a law that forbids a harmless pet in the home? Seriously, what's your contribution in this world?

Even if it was inspired by a love of Sonic, what in the world is wrong for successfully lobbying against a law that forbids a harmless pet in the home? Seriously, what's your contribution in this world?

HE.STUDIED.FOR.3.YEARS.TO.MAKE.THEM.LEGAL.IN.HIS.TOWN. I have nothing wrong with getting a pet hedgehog. I love those things but is 3 years really worth it when you could just get a hamster or a cat or dog or something ELSE?

He might as well have made having french fries legal with barbaque sauce. If you spent 3 years of your life to do something as small as having hedgehog legal as pets because of a video game Then I really Think He needs something better to do with his time. Just because he makes one thing legal doesn't mean that It was worth it.

I remember I wanted to change my Last name to yu-go-oh when I was a kid. I heard I Couldn't. I was dissapointed but I let it pass. Should I research for 3 years to find out how to legalize it? No I let it fly. Would I have done a good thing Because most people most people my age couldn't have done that?

Edited by Mephiles550

HE.STUDIED.FOR.3.YEARS.TO.MAKE.THEM.LEGAL.IN.HIS.TOWN. I have nothing wrong with getting a pet hedgehog. I love those things but is 3 years really worth it when you could just get a hamster or a cat or dog or something ELSE?

He might as well have made having french fries legal with barbaque sauce. If you spent 3 years of your life to do something as small as having hedgehog legal as pets because of a video game Then I really Think He needs something better to do with his time. Just because he makes one thing legal doesn't mean that It was worth it.

I remember I wanted to change my Last name to yu-go-oh when I was a kid. I heard I Couldn't. I was dissapointed but I let it pass. Should I research for 3 years to find out how to legalize it? No I let it fly. Would I have done a good thing Because most people most people my age couldn't have done that?

There is so much wrong with this chain of logic that I wouldn't be surprised if it was made out of bits of string and gum, but instead of detailing it all out when you would probably just ignore it, I'll instead point out the amusingly unfortunate implications that these three posts are giving off:

"Principles are pretty cool to have, but only if they aren't hard to stick to."

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Good for the kid. He wanted a pet hedgehog. I believe in campaigning and fighting for what you believe in, no matter how insignificant your cause may seem to other people.

And for the record, in total seriousness, I am absolutely changing my last name legally to 'Prower' as soon as I'm settled somewhere and can afford it. =D

• Thumbs Up 4

There is so much wrong with this chain of logic that I wouldn't be surprised if it was made out of bits of string and gum, but instead of detailing it all out when you would probably just ignore it, I'll instead point out the amusingly unfortunate implications that these three posts are giving off:

Hey this is the finest gum money could buy I'll have you know DX

As for "Principles are pretty cool to have, but only if they aren't hard to stick to." I already said this before. Principles are cool to have. But are some really WORTH having? He could have just said Ok when he heard he couldn't get the hedgehog and get a different pet instead? 3 years. Was it worth it? Was It really THAT Necessary for him to get one? Oh but he did something most people his age couldn't do right So it's automatically good? There's a difference between good and unnecessary. He also reported that his pet hedgehog keeps him up at night almost all the time to. Also since you quoted the entire first part of what I said are you also referring to that sonic passion fan who moved to mexico?

I wonder what other people outside the sonic fanbase thinks of that kid. Probably not to positive but IDK

But ya we're getting off topic here. Sonic fans arn't the worst fanbase I'll say. Definitely not i've seen even more worse fans in the mario fanbase...

@flyboy LOL I can't tell if your joking or not. XD

Something tells me most of you Don't like the Blackbustercritic XD

Edited by Mephiles550

I have to imagine that any local ordinance that banned having hedgehogs as pets was pretty fucking stupid anyways, so even without a personal reason for doing so (in this case, a Sonic connection) a kid working so hard to get it repealed should be commended.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to imagine that any local ordinance that banned having hedgehogs as pets was pretty fucking stupid anyways, so even without a personal reason for doing so (in this case, a Sonic connection) a kid working so hard to get it repealed should be commended.

But it took him three years to do it, when obviously the cutoff time between 'commendable' and 'waste of time' is two weeks! He went way over the line there!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why hedgehog were banned in the first place either...their just hedgehogs. But couldn't the kid just accept it and move on? If he saw that hedgehog's were illegal and just decided to get involved in the situation just because it's a stupid ass law, then their wouldn't be a problem. He got it because he was a DIE HARD sonic fan and for no other reason. If he wasn't a sonic fan he would probably care less about having hedgehogs legal as pets or not. Sonic barely even resembles a real hedgehog.

Edited by Mephiles550

Who cares about his justification for doing it? What is wrong with your fandom driving something that ends up in a positive change for the whole town? Are diehard Sonuc fans supposed to do nothing but argue about insignificant details on forums all day and waste money on new games and merchandise instead of getting out there to do worthwhile things that make our fanbase commendable? Well-p, time to pack up Sonic Relief and SoS I suppose.

I don't see why hedgehog were banned in the first place either...their just hedgehogs.

I take it you've never heard of Invasive Species? Hedgehog's are already an Invasive Species in New Zealand.

But couldn't the kid just accept it and move on? If he saw that hedgehog's were illegal and just decided to get involved in the situation just because it's a stupid ass law, then their wouldn't be a problem. He got it because he was a DIE HARD sonic fan and for no other reason. If he wasn't a sonic fan he would probably care less about having hedgehogs legal as pets or not. Sonic barely even resembles a real hedgehog.

Well clearly the law was stupid because it was eventually rendered obsolete, by a child no less. That only came about because he fought for it. And who are you to say that he was fighting it for the sole interest of himself owning a Hedgehog? He could have done in the interests of allowing anyone who wanted to own a Hedgehog in that state. Except that unlike Harry Potter fans who are in over the heads owning a pet owl, you don't hear stories of Sonic fans abandoning their Hedgehogs in Hedgehog sanctuaries like you hear of pet owls being abandoned in aviaries.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who cares about his justification for doing it? What is wrong with your fandom driving something that ends up in a positive change for the whole town? Are diehard Sonuc fans supposed to do nothing but argue about insignificant details on forums all day and waste money on new games and merchandise instead of getting out there to do worthwhile things that make our fanbase commendable? Well-p, time to pack up Sonic Relief and SoS I suppose.

Yes indeed. A positive change no one could give a damn about. Like I said before he might as well have researched for 3 years for something as small as having french fries legal with barbaque sauce. Sonic hardly resembles any real life hedgehog. If he really loved sonic so much he could have just had some posters on his room or something like that. He said he PLAYS with hedgehog pictures all the time....I think that's just turning into an addiction for hedgehogs that he couldn't get over anymore. Not doing it because it's right. I wouldn't be surprised if he painted the hedgehog blue and fed him only onion rings and chili dogs.

If someone had a bomb strapped on their crotch and it wouldn't come off unless the person bought someone else an xbox or something. If the person get's his xbox and the bomb falls off Is it all good anyway because The person got an xbox and it's all over?....yaaaaaaa no.

How did we end up having an entire page arguing about this again?

Edited by Mephiles550

I don't see why hedgehog were banned in the first place either...their just hedgehogs. But couldn't the kid just accept it and move on? If he saw that hedgehog's were illegal and just decided to get involved in the situation just because it's a stupid ass law, then their wouldn't be a problem. He got it because he was a DIE HARD sonic fan and for no other reason. If he wasn't a sonic fan he would probably care less about having hedgehogs legal as pets or not. Sonic barely even resembles a real hedgehog.

I must have forgotten about the rule that in order for you to take a stand on something you aren't allowed to have a personal reason for doing so.

Edited by Tornado

Why do you keep bringing up fries with barbecue sauce? I don't get it.

Because It might as well be an equal example of what the guy did. Legalizing hedgehogs as pets in a small little town. Having french fries legal with barbaque sauce. It might as well be an equal analogy.

Look I'm done with this. How did an ENTIRE page come from this?