Awoo.

Sally Acorn a official Sega character?

Unknown User

I CALL HAX on canon storyline. Its like finding out SA2 had graphics and sounds for a RPG...if it never happened in the actual release, then it actually didn't really happen canon-wise

No.

Ricky is a different character altogether. Basically another small animal like Flicky and Pocky. Ricky's just a species. Sally was based on Ricky, but isn't Ricky. She was designed by the people behind the cartoons. She's not an official SEGA character any more than anyone else in the comics and TV shows. And while SEGA owns the rights to all these characters, they're aren't official or 'SEGA canon' so to say.The westernisation of Sonic in the early 90's was not something many of the people at SEGA Japan knew about or liked, and that's why it was all abolished come Adventure. Sally is a left over only because the comics are a separate entity.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 8

I can't believe she is stating this as if it was fact, the worst part is some people are taking this at face value? It grinds my gears when something like that happens.

• Thumbs Up 4

I can't believe she is stating this as if it was fact, the worst part is some people are taking this at face value? It grinds my gears when something like that happens.

Nope, the only canon is the Iizuka canon, I doubt that he even counts any of the changes made in the Western sector as canon

I doubt that he even counts any of the changes made in the Western sector as canon

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 2

You guys seem to have a vendetta against the western canon don't ya?

• Thumbs Up 9

I do, cause it's a God awful canon did everything it possibly could to obliterate the charming, unique universe that was portrayed in the Japanese classics. Everything from art style, to character design to story was utterly ruined.

Mechano on the other hand just has a damn clue what he's talking about.

• Thumbs Up 1

They're written by Iizuka himself, so yes they are in the canon.

Anything that's not in SATAM/Archie is the Japanese canon.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Anything that's not in SATAM/Archie is the Japanese canon.

Wait, no they're not.

AoStH, Fleetway, Underground, OVA, Sonic X, and the various Sonic manga titles are obviously not part of the game canon either.

For that matter, SatAM/Archie were never part of the American game canon either.

Remember, the American game canon was butchered and heavily deviated from the Japanese games (Much like SatAM and Archie) but was still a unique entity from the cartoons and comics. The American game canon still had Robotnik as a mad scientist trying to rule the world, while SatAM portrayed him as someone who had already achieved that end. SoA Robotnik was still an ugly caricature of SoJ Eggman (Missing eyes and perma-scowl), but was a bit more on-model than Julian was.

SatAM =/= Sega of America. SatAM was based on the SoA story, but the two aren't exactly the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, no they're not.

AoStH, Fleetway, Underground, OVA, Sonic X, and the various Sonic manga titles are obviously not part of the game canon either.

For that matter, SatAM/Archie were never part of the American game canon either.

Remember, the American game canon was butchered and heavily deviated from the Japanese games (Much like SatAM and Archie) but was still a unique entity from the cartoons and comics. The American game canon still had Robotnik as a mad scientist trying to rule the world, while SatAM portrayed him as someone who had already achieved that end. SoA Robotnik was still an ugly caricature of SoJ Eggman (Missing eyes and perma-scowl), but was a bit more on-model than Julian was.

SatAM =/= Sega of America. SatAM was based on the SoA story, but the two aren't exactly the same thing.

Well. My bad.

God people multiverse remember? Game canon may be the official SEGA canon but it doesn't mean all other universes don't exist.

• Thumbs Up 1

God people multiverse remember? Game canon may be the official SEGA canon but it doesn't mean all other universes don't exist.

What most of us are trying to say is the person who is trying to conclude that Sally is in the game canon is pretty much incorrect.

When did anyone claim they didn't?

Sally's free to exist in SatAM and Archie, because that's where she is. But when people start claiming she has any place in the games, that's where I have to set things straight.

I've never claimed the other continuities don't exist; What I am claiming (rightfully so) is that they are separate from the original game canon, and should not be viewed as casually merged together with it. The Sonic X comic series (Where Eggman becomes a wrestling superhero and pretty much steals the series) is my favorite Sonic canon, but I'm not about to claim it has any barring on the game series.

That's what I'm talking about. It's fine to like Sally, it's fine to prefer SatAM/Archie over the games if that's your thing, but it's completely inaccurate to try to claim Sally is part of the game continuity, because she just isn't.

To put things in perspective, this would be exactly like me claiming Sera from the OVA is canon to the Japanese game series, because- hey- I like Sera a lot and the OVA was loosely based on the Japanese game storyline. It's exactly as inane an argument, and even though Sera is one of my favorite Sonic characters (Only a bit behind Eggman), I accept and understand that she is not a "Sega canon" character, whether Sega owns the rights to her or not. Given the similar role she plays in her story to Sally, I actually think this is a pretty good analogy.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 5

Didn't amy come from the sonic japanese manga?

How did she become canon?

Apparently Sega of Japan liked the character, so they put her in the 1993 video game Sonic the Hedgehog CD, as well as a few other minor spin-off titles, such as the Sonic Drift series. Third party developers also appeared to have latched onto the character, featuring her as a regular in many of the titles released between 1993 to 1998. Sonic Team decided to make her a canonical series staple beginning with the 1998 release of Sonic Adventure, and she's been here ever since!

Edited by HunterTSF