Awoo.

Sally Acorn a official Sega character?

Unknown User

and carries the unfortunate implications that most of them don't really prefer SoJ on its own merits and only do so because it's Japanese.

Buuut, except for the rare circumstances like yourself, that is EXACTLY the case. You only need to head over to the SEGA boards to see that.

Because, strawman or not, it wasn't that long ago that "its sucks because it isn't Japanese" was one of the main reasons the Western continuities were constantly shit on. Granted, that was back when there really wasn't much to be proud of in the SoJ continuity, but I don't see why the labeling them as Weaboos is that surprising of a reaction in response to what was going on.

Was it ever a mature response? No. But that isn't my point, and I don't *think* it was Aquaslash's either.

Also what he said here, and continued to say in his posts. I'm all for disliking the canons based on their individual merits. But the overwhelming majority of the ones who dislike the western canons DON'T. Plus they are LOUD about it

EDIT: In fact, Mechano, I'll go so far as to say that you have always had my respect simply because you are the only supporter of the SoJ canon that I've seen that actually took the time to learn about each of the canons and make judgements based on that. Granted, I think your overall argument of "original=best" is really weak (blame the Transformers fandom for that one), but you present it in a well informed manner.

It's a shame that the rest of the SoJ supporter in these parts aren't like you, else I wouldn't have had to make my statement in the first place.

Also "maturity" is soooooo overrated :V

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 2

As I said before, the American Sonic CD manual called Amy 'Sally Acorn'

This was probably going to be her American name before they changed their mind and simply translated her Japanese name, this is may be what they are on about.

"Sally was actually changed from Rosey the Rascal. Sally then changed into Amy, from what I've heard, so Sally aand Amy are one and the same."I dunno, that d

oesn't sound like the Sonic CD thing to me...

OMG I want to sig this. I'm sooo over this fanbase deriding the Western canons just because they're "not official" I don't know what to do about it.

It's one thing to be like Mechano and dislike the canons because of the stories they have. That's fine and dandy. But this hate boner that half of these lousy weeaboo fans have for things JUST because they don't come from "precious Japan land", that slag's gotta stop.

And lastly, as an avid Sonia fan, I must add my obligatory "SU canon rules" statement.

Carry on

Have you ever considered that maybe we like the japanese canon over the american deviations because, I don't know, the american just aren't as good (except AoStH)? I mean that is like calling me a weaboo just because I prefer a million times the original Macross over the bastardized american version called Robotech.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way about Archie's Sonic universe is how pretentious it is amongst the continuities as a whole by claiming it's version of Sonic to be the "Prime" version, "Destined to save all other dimensions".

Agree. But what can you expect when the book is run by fanboys who constantly ignore stuff that was already established in the general canon (such as Tails being THE best friend Sonic has) and place the derivatives over the real deal in a book that is supposed to be an amalgamation of all the spinoffs yet it's handled more like a sequel of SatAM, siregarding everything else in a blatant lack of balance.

What also gets me about these people who love to force Archie/SatAM's aspects on the rest of the series is that they tend to be Sally fangirls/boys and prove that they don't know what the hell they're talking about by claiming that Sally Acorn 'came' before Amy Rose and therefore she's better, because you know, seniority AUTOMATICALLY makes characters better doesn't it?[/sarcasm]. They're joyfully oblivious to the cold hard fact that Amy came before not only Sally but also before Tails. Not that I consider seniority to be something to worship regarding a character but I do like knocking these people who claim seniority=godliness off their high-horses tongue.gif

Agree, seniority does not equal quality (even if there is still people who believe that). Regarding the fan theories that say Sally predates Amy, again like I already said, that's just silly theories that try to use whatever they can find to hang on, like the whole deal of her being Ricky. For starters they are not the same species, they do not have the same role, let alone the name. On the other hand Amy was Amy all the way since April 1992, also when she was redesigned later in August 1992 to be "segafied" (me and my silly words XP) along with Charmy and Anton and eventually made it into the games without any changes in personality, name, species nor role.

Regarding her being in the actual games, closest thing that does not involve a cameo, but rather an actual playable role is the Sonic 1 hack made by E-122 Psi (which BTW happens to be one of my favorites, mainly due to the gameplay mechanics involved). However as for it happening in a current game, it's just not going to happen.

Edited by Skull Leader
  • Thumbs Up 1

But what can you expect when the book is run by fanboys who constantly ignore stuff that was already established in the general canon (such as Tails being THE best friend Sonic has)
Why can't Sonic have more then one best friend?

As for your fanboy comment, Ian is a Sonic fan, but he can't just write whatever he wants. All of his stories have to be approved by Sega.

Why can't Sonic have more then one best friend?.

I think its more that Tails has a lot less screentime with Sonic, at least compared to his time with Sally.

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to delve into a "My canon is better than your canon" war?

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1

Granted, I think your overall argument of "original=best" is really weak (blame the Transformers fandom for that one), but you present it in a well informed manner.

I want to clarify that my view isn't "Original equals best", but "Original equals prime." Whether I see SoJ as the best story is irrelevant, though I do see it as the primary, "most official" continuity in the grand scheme of things.

I mean, like I said, my favorite canon debuted in 2005, a whopping 15 years after the Sonic franchise came into existence. If I had to rank continuities, Sega of Japan actually takes a whopping fourth place on my list beind 1.) Sonic X (comic), 2.) Sonic X (anime), and 3.) Sonic OVA. So one can't say I'm biased in my appraisal of SoJ's primary status due to SoJ being my favorite, because... well, it isn't my favorite. As much as a small part of me wishes the games were as lighthearted and character-focused as the X comics (And as pleased as I am to see Colors emulate that basic feeling), I also feel that SoJ will always sort of be the official benchmark by how other continuities are measured. I say all this despite one of the most recent (and, I reiterate, American) continuities being number one on my list.

Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying. That's a better argument, but I gotta say, I have a bone to pick with it. Now granted, we might be delving into your personal preferences a bit here, and I apologize in advance.

In any case, what I'd like to know is why is there the overall feeling that the other canons, or better yet, adaptations HAVE to be as close to the primary source material. A really good example is Super Sentai. I think everyone around these parts is more familiar with the American version, "Power Rangers". If you ever take a trip to the SS/PR fandoms you'll see that PR and SS are accepted as two completely different beasts. Some prefer one, some the other, and some like both.

I'm going to use a very recent example to show the differences between the PR/SS camp and the Sonic one. The most recent PR adaptation, "Power Rangers Samurai" is based on "Samurai Sentai Shinkenger". However it is actually extremely unpopular amongst the fanbase. Two primary reasons are to blame. One is that the acting direction is overall pretty bad, and the other, get this, is that Samurai is almost a literal translation of Shinkenger. That's right, it's loathed among the PR/SS camps because it sticks so closely to the source material. Would it be fair to say that if such a thing were to happen in Sonic, the end product would be almost universally loved by the fandom?

See, the PR/SS camp has accepted that the two items, while using the same material, are completely different, and don't hold one to the other. It's a pretty good example that adaptations should have to be benchmarked by the source material. I'm really just curious why Sonic fans are overall the opposite. Maybe it's the age difference? I dunno :/

Why can't Sonic have more then one best friend?

I lol at the irony of you making this particular question when we all know the reason as of why Sonic does not has any real and meaningful friendships with characters who are known to have close ties with him in pretty much any other incarnation of the franchise (such as Knuckles and Amy, but no because that would mean making Sally less prominent, and we can't have that can we?).

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, the CD manual raises a good question- Where do SoA fans draw the line?

Are we to believe, based on this, that a "Princess Sally" who looks exactly like a pink hedgehog exists in the SoA game canon? How does this square with the fact that Amy later appears without the name change in other games? And if SoA fans do disregard the CD manual name changes, then why that specifically and not other localization changes? (Mobius, Robotnik's disfigured appearance, etc.)

Personally, I can never see Sally being implemented in the games. Her fans wouldn't be happy, because Sonic Team wouldn't implement the mythos that comes with her. The gamers wouldn't be happy, because many of them see Sally as a weak character solely made to be Sonic's love interest, something they are firmly against. Sally just has no place in the games canon, mutilated as it may be.

I wouldn't mind a separate game canon based on the comics. We practically have multiple game canons already what with Sonic Team's cherry picking and all.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't mind a separate game canon based on the comics. We practically have multiple game canons already what with Sonic Team's cherry picking and all.

I didn't mind the Sonic X comic at all. I even picked up the last issue. Interestingly enough, I hear the comic is actually better than the show.

I didn't mind the Sonic X comic at all. I even picked up the last issue. Interestingly enough, I hear the comic is actually better than the show.

By a large margin. There's no flanderization of any kind, the characters act how you'd expect them too, Chris has far less screentime and the focus is more on Sonic and co, I admit it takes a few issues to get going, its a major improvement over the show, plus it has:

SonicX26.jpg

You really can't go wrong with this.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 4

Honestly, the CD manual raises a good question- Where do SoA fans draw the line?

Are we to believe, based on this, that a "Princess Sally" who looks exactly like a pink hedgehog exists in the SoA game canon? How does this square with the fact that Amy later appears without the name change in other games? And if SoA fans do disregard the CD manual name changes, then why that specifically and not other localization changes? (Mobius, Robotnik's disfigured appearance, etc.)

I heard that Amy was at first referred to Princess Sally in the SoA canon.

By a large margin. There's no flanderization of any kind, the characters act how you'd expect them too, Chris has far less screentime and the focus is more on Sonic and co, I admit it takes a few issues to get going, its a major improvement over the show, plus it has:

SonicX26.jpg

You really can't go wrong with this.

Agree, the sole fact that they make Chris more tolerable says a lot about the comic, Too bad it was cancelled for silly reasons when we have a comic based on a cancelled show that has been going for more than a decade.

If even the top dogs (or ex top dog, as the case may be) at Sonic team haven't heard of the SatAM/Archie-exclusive assets, let alone care for them, I really don't see this happening, whether people want it or not.

Edited by VEDJ-F

I agree. I've also seen some cool fanmade 3-D models of the Satam/Archie Sonic characters. And seeing them makes me want the Satam/Archie characters in a game even more then I did before.

Edited by Darkfox

I agree. I've also seen some cool fanmade 3-D models of the Satam/Archie Sonic characters. And seeing them makes me want the Satam/Archie characters in a game even more then I did before.

Add me to the list of folks who'd LOVE to see a SatAM/Archie game (although not a series - just one good game would be enough for me). But it won't happen, there simply isn't enough demand and it wouldn't sit well with the vast majority of gamers who are used to the current game continuity. Best I can hope for is an excellent fangame somewhere down the line ♥

• Thumbs Up 1