Awoo.

Sonic Generations: GameWorld (IgroMir) and ComicCon /PAX, GamesCom, TGS, and GAMEfest/ Special Topic [ARCHIVE]

Woun

Ugh. Typical nonsensical IGN hating post with no basis whatsoever. Do I really need to bring up the countless great reviews they've given to Sonic games over the last 10 years? God, they give Unleashed a deservedly bad review and all of a sudden "IGN hates Sonic BAWWW"

As someone who hates the extremely high amount of hate that IGN gets when it comes to Sonic, I disagree.

Sonic 06 - 4.8

Unleashed HD - 4.5

Unleashed Wii - 7.2

It's crap like this which makes me unable to take IGN one bit seriously with Sonic . Sonic 06 (An Unplayable mess) scoring higher than Unleashed HD? (Objectively the most polished Sonic game in years). Yeah, no. The fact that Unleashed Wii scored nearly 3 points higher than the superior HD version is really plain silly.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 3

The overall standpoint that mainstream gamers have who don't play Sonic games often is that they're buggy, and loaded with boring filler content, which is true for every single one of them since Sonic Heroes (Besides Colors, again).

I don't see why a game with lots of content is such a bad thing. That's one of my disappointments with Colors that the game has very little replay value and after I complete the main story and collect the red rings, there's really not much else for me to do and I get bored of the game. I'm happy that this game is loaded with content and that means I'm going to be playing this for a long time unlocking everything and collecting all the achievements.

As someone who hates the extremely high amount of hate that IGN gets when it comes to Sonic, I disagree.

Sonic 06 - 4.8

Unleashed HD - 4.5

Unleashed Wii - 7.2

It's crap like this which makes me unable to take IGN one bit seriously with Sonic . Sonic 06 (An Unplayable mess) scoring higher than Unleashed HD? (Objectively the most polished Sonic game in years). Yeah, no. The fact that Unleashed Wii scored nearly 3 points higher than the superior HD version is really plain silly.

You're acting like IGN are a single entity. Ever consider the fact each of those games had different reviewers? Just because 06 got a higher score than Unleashed doesn't mean they're saying it's a better game. The reviewer that game one game a certain score might not be the same as what another person would. Not to mention a 0.3 score is hardly a huge difference.

For example if we're going to be that unfair we might as well criticise IGN for the insane difference in score between the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions of SA2. Different reviewers. IGN is not a single entity with one reviewer. Just like Unleashed Wii. You have no idea what score the guy who reviewed the Wii version would have given the HD version.

Edited by Robuttnik

I don't see why a game with lots of content is such a bad thing. That's one of my disappointments with Colors that the game has very little replay value and after I complete the main story and collect the red rings, there's really not much else for me to do and I get bored of the game. I'm happy that this game is loaded with content and that means I'm going to be playing this for a long time unlocking everything and collecting all the achievements.

Having lots of content is great when it's fun and optional. The amount of stuff to do in, say, Oblivion, is great, because it's fun, polished, and you aren't required to do what you don't want to. However, Sonic '06 forces you to sit through boring, horrible, filler such as "Find the real Captain!", which is in absolutely no way fun or immersive by any stretch of the human imagination. Even the optional stuff in that sucked, more-so than the rest of the game. Finding stray dogs and hitting generic, random, numbered boxes in Soleanna is not fun. And just because the open world jungle in the game is big, doesn't mean it's fun. It's a large stretch of green land with next to nothing to interact with.

Colors had plenty of replay value and fun to it, because it was a fun game. It didn't need bullshit co-op missions with Elise in order to be lengthy. The game itself was short, but collecting every Red Ring, getting every S-rank, and trying for the high-score in challenge mode is good old fashioned video-game fun, something that most recent Sonic games, even the highly regarded Adventure titles, don't have.

You're acting like IGN are a single entity. Ever consider the fact each of those games had different reviewers? Just because 06 got a higher score than Unleashed doesn't mean they're saying it's a better game. The reviewer that game one game a certain score might not be the same as what another person would.

For example if we're going to be that unfair we might as well criticise IGN for the insane difference in score between the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions of SA2. Different reviewers. IGN is not a single entity with one reviewer. Just like Unleashed Wii. You have no idea what score the guy who reviewed the Wii version would have given the HD version.

I expect reviews to have some form of continuity. It kind of defeats the purpose of reviews.

Having lots of content is great when it's fun and optional. The amount of stuff to do in, say, Oblivion, is great, because it's fun, polished, and you aren't required to do what you don't want to. However, Sonic '06 forces you to sit through boring, horrible, filler such as "Find the real Captain!", which is in absolutely no way fun or immersive by any stretch of the human imagination. Even the optional stuff in that sucked, more-so than the rest of the game. Finding stray dogs and hitting generic, random, numbered boxes in Soleanna is not fun. And just because the open world jungle in the game is big, doesn't mean it's fun. It's a large stretch of green land with next to nothing to interact with.

Colors had plenty of replay value and fun to it, because it was a fun game. It didn't need bullshit co-op missions with Elise in order to be lengthy. The game itself was short, but collecting every Red Ring, getting every S-rank, and trying for the high-score in challenge mode is good old fashioned video-game fun, something that most recent Sonic games, even the highly regarded Adventure titles, don't have.

Couldn't agree more. That's what I loved so much about Colours. It was consistently fun throughout. It may have been short but it was consistently great. So many Sonic games over the years have had way too much filler that just plain sucked. Colours fixed that and now Generations looks to be doing the same thing, hopefully with more good fun content in addition.

IGN FANBOYS: Sonic games SUCK. Modern Sonic games are shit, except for Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors. Generations will suck just as hard as all the others.

SONIC FANBOYS: IGN reviews SUCK. They've been completely unfair to Sonic, except with Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors. The review for Generations will suck just as hard as all the others.

• Thumbs Up 4

I expect reviews to have some form of continuity. It kind of defeats the purpose of reviews.

It's not IGNs fault different people have different opinions. IGN isn't the only site out there to lack consistency between its different reviewers. As I said, IGN are not one person. If me and you ran a gaming website and both reviewed different versions of the next GTA game for example, do you think we would have even close to the same score and opinions on it? We might. We might not.

I must concur; I never found the optional missions in SA1 all that fun at all. SA2 Sonic and Shadow missions were cool, I guess...except when I'd bounce attack into oblivion from a failed Light Dash. Still, they were the same in each world, so after the thrill of doing different things in say, City Escape (100 rings, Chao, Hard Mode, Time Attack, etc.), it kinda got old doing the same mission requirements with later missions. Still fun, but I'm pretty happy of the variety found in the leaked mission list, with races and utilizing "enemy rings" and the skateboard. They're all not the exact same in each level, and should be a blast to do.

And on top of that a Hard Mode? Time Attack? Collectibles? Red Rings? Even a possible reward for S-Ranking (and if not, still achievements?) Generations really sounds like variety in a 3D Sonic done RIGHT.

Edited by RhikoruNa

I dunno, maybe you enjoyed the game way more then I did. I've beaten the game in a few hours and collected all 180 red rings within a week time but after that I really didn't have that much desire to play it again. I wasn't feeling encourage to get all the S ranks and play the challenge mode. I just wish they've added more unlockables or missions like they did with Unleashed. I still go back to play Unleashed and still unlocking more content.

I dunno, maybe you enjoyed the game way more then I did. I've beaten the game in a few hours and collected all 180 red rings within a week time but after that I really didn't have that much desire to play it again. I wasn't feeling encourage to get all the S ranks and play the challenge mode. I just wish they've added more unlockables or missions like they did with Unleashed. I still go back to play Unleashed and still unlocking more content.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I found Unleashed too cluttered and the side missions weren't all that great in my eyes. It took me a bit to 100% Colors, but that might've been because I was also playing Donkey Kong Country: Returns and had a bit of social stuff going on at the time as well.

I fully agree with Xenos completely. Goldstein's review, whether you like it or not, Robuttnik, was very badly written. Little to no explanations in his logic, and the horrid way he played didn't help his cause, either.

I definitely agree that people review the games differently. However, the issue you're neglecting, Robuttnik, is that the review is supposed to reflect more to the community. There's a reason why people say "IGN" instead of IGN's Casamassina, IGN's Goldstein, or IGN's Dorothy Gale. Their reviews, because they're professionals (a.k.a, earning money for every one he published), are supposed to represent the voice about the game amongst the community he's writing for and decide whether the game works well or not. The journalistic review is supposed to reflect those feelings with clear facts, grounded logic, patience, and great presentation. Goldstein's review failed because he claimed Unleashed HD was bad and didn't back it up with grounded logic and facts. An opinion doesn't guarantee you free from criticism, especially if people you're trying to write for asked questions, raised eyebrows for the wrong reasons, and even questioned the validity of the review. The backlash against Goldstein's review was justified because his writing, logic and (as a result) opinion were ill-informed and lazy. You don't even see people mention second opinions some games receive because their voices are much smaller, and Unleashed 360 was one of them.

And this wasn't the first time IGN has been involved in controversy. It was new to Sonic, but not the gaming community altogether. Look up the controversy regarding the "2.5 score" a FIFA soccer/football video game got from a while ago.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 3

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I found Unleashed too cluttered and the side missions weren't all that great in my eyes. It took me a bit to 100% Colors, but that might've been because I was also playing Donkey Kong Country: Returns and had a bit of social stuff going on at the time as well.

I still like Colors and I do play a full playthrough of the game from time to time, it's just the replayability is one of my main complaints and I'm happy that Generations has lot of it judging from the leaks.

Ah, cool. It looks like Sonic Generations is going to be at the Micromania Games Tour

Generations of GT Sonic Micromania

The famous chain of stores specializing in video game, organizing a series of previews, to highlight all the year-end blockbusters. Micromania Games The Tour takes place in several cinemas in big cities. It's sort of an appetizer before the Paris Games Week.

It costs € 5 in a Micromania or on their official website to buy a ticket. The presentation will be on site by Marcus and we were promised three hours of show on a widescreen display. Among the various demos presented, there would be unveiled in the content excluded.

LYON, October 4 at CGR Brignais / 19h

MARSEILLE, October 5 at Pathé Plan de Campagne / 19h

LILLE, October 6 at Kinepolis Lomme / 19h

PARIS, October 7 at the Grand Rex / 19h

The biggest game season will be there like 3 Uncharted, Zelda Skyward Sword, Forza 4, Battlefield 3, NFS The Run, Mass Effect 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, Saints Row 3, Batman Arkham City, RAGE, Modern Warfare 3, NBA 2K12, Star Dance Party, Dance Central Generations 2 and Sonic Sega to represent.

Woah, a couple of days before BF3 comes out. To pay attention to that or do something else? Hmmmm, YES lets see what new stuff shows up there.

I've just been reading up on this Micromania Games Tour and it's a 3 hour thing held in cinemas where they showcase footage of upcoming games and have on-stage demonstrations too. Apparently, they usually have exclusive stuff that's shown to press the day before the first day of the tour and shown first to the public on the day. So, it's a bit like a long-ass E3 conference for the public.

I wonder if they'll have exclusive Sonic Generations stuff.

I wonder what Sonic sounds like in French...

Quick, is there someone in France atm?

I believe it's the same cast from the French dub of Sonic X:

He kinda sounds like a French Roger Craig Smith, in my opinion.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir