Awoo.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Nepenthe

rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-banner-01-600x249.jpg

Official Site - Wikipedia - YouTube Channel - Rotten Tomatoes (81%) - Box Office Mojo

Director: Rupert Wyatt

Writer: Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver

Studio: 20th Century Fox

Cast: James Franco, Freido Pinto, John Lithgow, Brian Cox, Tom Felton, Andy Serkis

Release Date: August 5, 2011

An origin story in the true sense of the word' date= Rise of the Apes is set in present day San Francisco. The film is a reality-based cautionary tale -- a science fiction/science-fact blend where mankind's hubris leads to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy. Oscar ®-winning visual effects house WETA Digital - employing certain of the groundbreaking technologies developed for "Avatar" - will render, for the first time ever in the film series, photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.

Media:

79113_gal.jpg

79108_gal.jpg

79107_gal.jpg

Five Reasons Why You Should See This In Theaters:

• The film primarily chronicles Caesar's struggle for reconciliation with society and achieving justice for his fallen ape bretheren. It's emotional and engaging from start to finish thanks in big part to Serkis' amazing motion capture performance.
    • The conflict between humans and apes avoids the pratfall of "humanity sucks" seen both in Caesar's leadership and the troupe's overall goal, and our eventual downfall from this midtown revolution remains a nice twist that's foreshadowed well. The film also avoids a completely negative stance upon the scientific morality of the entire fiasco.
      • Rise serves as a complete thematic and narrative reboot, meaning entry level viewers can follow along easily. Homages to earlier films are there but handled with extreme subtlety, sans the most famous line which is a set-up to one of the most powerful and startling moments in the film.

While Trans 3 surpasses a billion in B.O returns, the first Planet of the Apes film I thought actually had some potential has been rather cruelly dismissed by the online community. Despite my annoyance with these facts, I too lowered my expectations some after watching some online clips, afraid that Caesar's character arc would be handled haphazardly.

I'm glad to find out that I was completely wrong: That was one of if not the most engaging and thoughtful films I've seen this year, better than Super 8; hell, I almost cried at certain moments, over mo-capped apes no less. Better yet, it's made over a fifth of its budget back in two days without the help of more profitable overseas markets. Sequel is a go-go.

Doubtful questions, but has anyone else seen this yet? If not, has any of this convinced you to at least give it a try later when you're over your Marvel phase? 8(

PS: Anyone know how to add a subtitle? I have a hilariously-stupid one in mind and I really want to use it and make people groan.

[*]While the relatively-modest budget prohibits the film from looking like Avatar, Weta has nonetheless used their funds well, implementing great detail and convincing acting without falling into the Uncanny Valley.

[*]Apes proceed to destroy police cars, tangle with officers mounted on horseback, and crash a helicopter while running all over San Fran and the Golden Gate. If nothing else, pay for that.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Forgive me, but I think the title of this film sounds stupid. The Planet of the Apes: Uprising? *shrugs*

Working at a movie theater has it's perks. tongue.gif

I have yet to see the full movie, but I can see all of it on my free time. From what I've seen, it does have elements of "Humans are bastards" in regards to another organism simply being around them or acting the way it's suppose to act natural.

A bit of a hint: taking away a baby from it's mother does not make an animal crazy in a bad way. A human mother would flip their shit to protect their children too, so would you expect anything less from a non-human mother?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I liked orginal Planet if the Apes so I will give it a shot. Always wanted to see prequel (or its interquel? Or Midquel? Its difficult to figure out)

Working at a movie theater has it's perks. tongue.gif

I have yet to see the full movie, but I can see all of it on my free time. From what I've seen, it does have elements of "Humans are bastards" in regards to another organism simply being around them or acting the way it's suppose to act natural.

A bit of a hint: taking away a baby from it's mother does not make an animal crazy in a bad way. A human mother would flip their shit to protect their children too, so would you expect anything less from a non-human mother?

I just saw it today and needless to say, it was just freaking incredible. Possibly the best film I've seen all year.

Remember, they were giving those chimps an experimental drug that affects neurological function, so the fact that her sudden escape was misconstrued as an adverse reaction or even aggression is more tragic than evil. Also, they didn't know she had been carrying a baby in the first place. She'd just given birth, remember?

Regardless, there were only two bad guys in the entire film; everyone else is either a bystander, part of a random crowd, or good guys trying to mitigate all the damage. And when the apes start rampaging, Caesar makes it clear to the others to not to kill any innocents. In fact, the so called societal 'revolution' being advertised all over the place wasn't even their goal.

This film is a total reboot and an origin story. It doesn't really serve comfortably as a prequel to the original because it completely retcons major aspects of its story.

Redoing and rebooting old material is about as old as Hollywood itself, and some of the best films in American history come about because of the practice.

And yes, X-Men First Class is a reboot yet better than the two films that preceded it.

You know, I thought this film was gonna be mediocore, but it was suprisingly good. It focuses more on Drama and Story, where as the trailers make it seem like it's going to be a full on action movie. All in all, Worth the money, and can't wait for the sequel (Oh come on, you could tell from the title that they're gonna make a sequel.)