Awoo.

Riots Spread Across the United Kingdom

Glenn

I don't live near the current effected areas but my Dad is a policeman and I fear that the riots might come near Salford and Bolton, I don't live near there but my Dad is based in the outskirts of Bolton.unsure.gif

Please think of the brave officers out and of their familes trying their best to keep under control. Please beware the Police have been stretched thin due to these budget cuts and they unable to cover all araes. The riots on Saturday in Tottenham they needed police based in Surrey to help them they were that sretched thin.

I hope this will end soon, its luckly no one has been killed so far.

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 7

I swear some people are so retarded. I live in Tottenham, the place where it all started...and now Peckham, Hackney and even Birmingham is getting involved!! Why the hell is Birmingham getting involved...THEY ARE NOT EVEN IN LONDON!!!!

*sigh*...Thank God that there are currently no fatalities and I pray that it stays that way. sleep.gif

I was even planning to go to the Cinema to watch Super 8 at Wood Green...now I can't dry.gif

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 3

I heard on Facebook that there's looters in Northfield. That's where I live. I presume it's in our town center, which I occasionally visit as it's about 2 miles from where I live. Googling Birmingham regarding rioting/looting lately, apparently the Bull Ring was closed off earlier today. I was planning to go into town today as well blink.gif

I'm very cautious, so I don't think I'll be going into my town's center and B'hams city center anytime soon...

• Thumbs Up 2

This has got way out of hand. I hope this stops. Now. I hope we find out who the assholes were who started these dangerous riots as part of the protest.

Luckily i'm up near Manchester. I hope everyone near the riots is safe and stays clear away from them.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wise moves, guys. The advice of staying in, staying put and staying away from any town centres, near the flashpoints but in general too, is common sense but important to stick to.

Thanks for replying. SSMB has a large number of UK-based users and, at the rate this is spreading, we're all going to be in the vicinity of unrest sooner or later. At the very least, posting here and confirming your safety will help the rest of us sleep a little better!

Best wishes to all law enforcement officers, as well. My father is on duty this week, and I'm just waiting for his phone to start ringing, really. You know 'tis bad when London calls on Kent.

Just stay safe, everybody.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, yes, they are DEFINATELY doing it to Birmingham. Just saw the carnage on Sky News. This makes my blood boil angry.gif Our wonderful, classy Bull Ring and other city center shops are being ransacked and smashed, our shopkeepers ousted and the innocent citizens intimidated. It's saddening and enraging because the Bull Ring and the rest of the city center is a wonderful place that I personally have a great attachment to and have done for so many years. To see it being a victim to this senseless anarchy is absolute rage-inducing.

I feel like punching something...

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm actually so glad right now that I live in Scotland, but I'm really glad to hear there's no Deaths, and I hope everyone in the South is okay smile.gif Keep your chins up and be strong <3

This whole thing reminds me of the Fallout end quote for some reason... "The Player may change, but war? War never changes"

Edit: Might sound like an asshole saying this, but these riots give me an idea for a plot point in my Graphic Novel story...if only the events today were really fiction.

Edited by Scott
  • Thumbs Up 3

Riot in London started for a reason.

Don't ask me, do some research yourself, and you'd probably understand.

Best wishes to all law enforcement officers, as well. My father is on duty this week, and I'm just waiting for his phone to start ringing, really. You know 'tis bad when London calls on Kent.

Good luck to your Dad! I hope that he can help keep these IDIOTS in line happy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

The riots were peaceful at first but then a handful of people started making a mess of things.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reminded me of this song:

In other words, I hope all of you remain safe as well as any others in the area. I don't live anywhere near there...(obviously, just look at my location) however I consider all of you good people and even if you weren't I would never want any of you to get hurt. I'll pray for you guys.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it started more down to an excuse as apposed to a reason or a cause.

If you do some research into these things you'd probably understand. Specifically, the riots which occured in tottenham a few years back following the police raid and the lady who had a stroke.

Awesome, Anarchy in the UK

Oh buggery the neg button has gone.

• Thumbs Up 9

The riots were peaceful at first but then a handful of people started making a mess of things.

Awesome, Anarchy in the UK. (sarcasm.. Sort of)

• Thumbs Up 1

The riots were peaceful but a handful of people started making a mess of things.

It wasn't a riot, even, but a peaceful protest.

Details are unconfirmed, but the strongest indication is that an armed policeman attempted to make an arrest of a suspect in Operation: Trident, a police crack-down on illegal firearms in London. The suspect turned out to be armed and fired at the policeman, hitting (mercifully) the policeman's radio. The policeman returned fire, as you would, and his shot killed the suspect.

Now, depending on where you stand regarding the police being armed, that's either reason to protest (and fair enough, but keep it civil, as the initial peaceful protest did) or perfectly acceptable.

Under no circumstance is it reason to set fire to innocent people's homes and steal goods from burning shops.

Just as with the student fees protest, criminals have hijacked the "excuse" to spark their own unique brand of so-called "justice", but nobody can argue that looting is fair justice for the police shooting a suspect. Nobody can argue that setting fire to innocent people's homes is any kind of appropriate social response.

This is just one huge mess, which is teaching us some important lessons about today's urban youth.

Shame we couldn't have learned them without a fight.

• Thumbs Up 2

I live in East London, and I thought it was fine here. Until I needed to find a replacement charger for my laptop, so I headed down to my local PC World & Currys. They were closed, with a bunch of the staff outside at the entrance, turned out they were one of the victims of the rampant thugs, poor guys. Guess the charger should be the least of my worries, wonder how many other stores have been hit around my area.

• Thumbs Up 2

I live in East London, and I thought it was fine here. Until I needed to find a replacement charger for my laptop, so I headed down to my local PC World & Currys. They were closed, with a bunch of the staff outside at the entrance, turned out they were one of the victims of the rampant thugs, poor guys. Guess the charger should be the least of my worries, wonder how many other stores have been hit around my area.

Thanks for checking in, Cobalt, and I'm glad you got back safely. Sorry to hear your area has been dragged into this, and I hope those members of staff were alright.

Don't blame the youth, blame the old.

I was just watching a leaked video of a polic brutality before the riot. Anonymous claims that this started the riot.

I feel bad from empolyees you met Cobalt, let's hope this end's soon. smile.png

Prime Minister is cutting his holiday short though I don't know if this would change things, maybe some more organization perhaps.

• Thumbs Up 1