Awoo.

Anonymous Strikes Again! Operation Facebook Nov. 5, 2011

LunarEdge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWQTS8zqYXU&feature=player_embedded

November 5th marks the day Facebook will be attacked and possibly rendered useless for a few days, if not weeks or months. Why are they attacking Facebook? If you watch the video, it's "apparent" that Facebook higher-ups are selling our (facebook users) information to government agencies and even to those overseas who may want them. If anyone was stupid enough to put personal information up, such as address, phone number and etc. this could be a potential problem...

SO! What do you guys/gals think? Discuss!

Pointless, all this is going to do is piss off people who use facebook. People should be smart enough not to put any vital information on the web and if they do, then they obviously shouldn't be allowed on the internet. And for the record, shutting down facebook is kind of bad for me because I sometimes use it to contact people in my classes about work and events that might be going on, saying use the school website is pointless because no one is on it. But bah whatever... Stick it to the man I suppose but really, if all I put on facebook is a profile pic every now and then, and some one line of text, and maybe a what's up on someone's wall, then I honestly don't care.

Edited by Silencer226

I use facebook to connect with friends and family I couldn't have reached otherwise. I got to see a bunch of old friends thanks to contacting them via facebook, and while I'm for a reformation in how much control the site can exert over retaining your private info, trying to shut down the site is just an attempt to deprive people of a means of communication. But hey, if it leads to comprehensive reform, it might not be so bad to have facebook go down for a week or 2.

But just remember, without facebook, we won't get funny lulz like this:

epic_facebook_fail-3-600x400.jpg

Don't deprive us of the lulz, Anonymous.

• Thumbs Up 9

Honestly I don't think anything is going to happen. I mean first of all, why would you warn someone of an attack, that's like if Obama called up Osama and said "Hey we know you're in Pakistan and we're gonna come kill you in 10 minutes, okay bye!"

All this is going to do get people paranoid, have Facebook spike up security, and have those fat kids that are causing all this to go on 4chan and laugh at the people who believe all this crap.

Seriously, I could make a video tomorrow saying that I'm gonna hack YouTube in 1 week, and everyone on the internet will overreact.....hmm that gives me an idea!cool.gif

Edited by Nintendoga

I could really care less if FB goes down for awhile. Given, I do use it to keep up with friends. organize hangouts and etc. but I survived before it and I will after. IMO, they should attack those whom are responsible of their "claims" not the whole community itself. I mean... I'm not supposedly selling personal information, so why should I suffer? I say leave those alone who access the service, but aren't the "guilty" ones.

Uh.

Facebook is insecure and constantly being datamined, whether it's by governments or not, and most people who use Facebook are stupid enough with computers to fall victim to this.

So for once, I'm with Anon on this principle-wise. I'd then say "oh but of course no-one will realise why they're hacking it blah blah blah", which is true, but: why November 5th? Why announce an attack three months in advance? This is what I'm more interested in.

(inb4 someone suggests that Anon are giving themselves time to transfer to Google+ first)

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I talked with one of them. (Don't know his name though.)

They say that Facebook is teaming up with Government officials to spy on people.

Even if you remain "anonymous" (see what I did there?) They will track you down no matter what.

They want to make sure you're not doing anything that may "hurt" our society or Americas appearance.

(Peaceful protests.. Yeah, you can't even plan out protests anymore.) Which may lead to arrest.

It's like "1984." Read the book, and you'd understand. (Even if you're not suspicious about the Government, it doesn't hurt to be on your toes.)

Edited by Cynical
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think people have no lives so they go around causing crap for lack of interesting things in their own little world. And the government already knows our crap whether you put it on a dumb social networking site or not. (Fusion Centers already have all your information)

Edited by Lady Lily

I think people have no lives so they go around causing crap for lack of interesting things in their own little world. And the government already knows our crap whether you put it on a dumb social networking site or not. (Fusion Centers already have all your information)

Do I even wanna know what a Fusion Center is? o-o

Anyways.. Even if it does seem stupid, these guys are trying to prove these guys: all_seeing_eye.png Exist.

This has been on EVERYTHING.

But, back to Facebook.

Cool, I would love to see the people around me go insane from not being able to use bookface, seeing as they really don't use much other than for crap games and making pointless wall posts (very true, I haven't seen them do much else, and it's not very effective when trying to look for someone over facebook when you urgently need them for something specific, WHEN YOU KNOW THEY PROBABLY WON'T GET THE MESSAGE FOR A FEW HOURS). Part of my sisters life would fall into shambles since she finds bookface so entertaining that it's a little better then youtube and other much better services. Personally, I kinda want it to happen, it's not like this subpar social service is a vital part of "social" life, I'll just talk to people over the phone or through different services that work much more better thank you.

Announcing the date of attack months in advance?

Way to be strategic, Anonymous. What utter rubbish, and they don't expect measures to be taken against them beforehand?

Watch the History Channel for a bit, guys, then try again,

why November 5th?

Anonymous have long associated themselves with Guy Fawkes, specifically his depiction in V for Vendetta.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeeeah, this is not happening. Don't need to explain why. I mean really.

How boring. Usually their videos announcing these things are more exciting and have more production values in them.

Announcing the date of attack months in advance?

Way to be strategic, Anonymous. What utter rubbish, and they don't expect measures to be taken against them beforehand?

Watch the History Channel for a bit, guys, then try again,

Anonymous have always been doing this. Why this is news now surprises me. They operate in numbers and without an announcement, there is no raid. They're not an organized hivemind, it's just whoever happens to be there at the time. You can't exactly say that measures will be taken against them when right now there's no one to take measures against, and this is assuming they actually get something out of this.

This is stupid, pointless and if Facebook goes down it won't be until more than a day, that's for sure.

But, hey, I hate Facebook, so I'll just see what happens.

If you put personal information that you don't want to be seen on the internet, you're a moron. And I doubt that many other social sites wouldn't give information to the government if requested, and with laws like the Patriot Act in place, this sort of thing really shouldn't be a surprise.

WE DO NOT FORGIVE, WE DO NOT FORGET. EXPECT US.

What is on taking Scientology starting to get boring? Anyway I honestly couldn't care less about them taking down Facebook, so whatever.

Edit: So when facebook finally goes down do you guys think the reaction will be similar to the big internet freak out scene from the IT Crowd?

Edited by Balding Spider

mite be cool

why not take down some even more deserving websites why they're at it.

Like those dead-meme forcing faggots at reddit.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's weird... I had a slight gut feeling that having my real location in my profile was a bad idea... so it now it says I live in New York City.

Anonymous are quite an offbeat group. I have mixed feelings about them. In the beginning, I opposed this group. They're just some hackers with really nothing better to do with their time. I liked them when they went after Scientology. Scientology is full of nutjobs, but same with Anonymous. However I like Anonymous over Scienetology and whatever Christian whacko groups you got out there.

I actually support their attack, but at the same time I don't. I'll get into why I don't support it... it's a pretty big site and that's going to really cripple it. It's really a big time site.

I do, because so many people use FB... it's absurd. Don't get me wrong, it's a great site and it's a great way to keep in touch with friends. In my opinion, people just need to lay off FB. I wouldn't mind FB not being operational for some time. Originally I joined way back in 2007, because my friend Brian said it was like the coolest site. I joined it, but then I got way bored of it. I opposed FB in 2008, but then I went back to it a couple years ago because I found some of my friends can only be reached through that site.

Oh while they're at it, maybe they should attack TV Tropes too. Ugh, another one of those sites people are addicted and obsessed with. So yeah, I say they should go on with Operation Facebook. It's really not a bad idea at all, even though what they're doing is wrong and illegal.