SEGA West CEO Sees Chances Ahead For Sonic to "arc out to do different things"

Detective Shadzter

I've said it once.

I've said it twice.

Heck, lemme say it a third time.

Sonic & Sega Allstars Fighting.

Make it happen Sega.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well you guys might call me insane for even thinking about this, but here it goes.

I want something useful to be done with the Mario and Sonic "franchise". I want a Mario and Sonic RPG developed by MistWalker Studios for the 3DS with Nobuo Uematsu doing the music. It's perfect because it's not a platformer where Sonic's fast styled platforming would mesh horribly with Mario's old school platforming style, it's an RPG where you can borrow different elements from both franchise to use for the battle system and the over world. Have puzzles and levels based on both Mario and Sonic and how they react and affect things from both worlds. For example when Sonic jumps on a koopa, instead of the koopa going into it's shell, the shell is destroyed leaving the Koopa itself unharmed as if it's supposed to be a Badnik, and maybe Mario needs to use shells in order to break open monitors.

I know it will never happen, but hey, can't a man dream?

@Blue Blood

Paper Mario's combat is platform based? It's attacks involve timed button presses but I think Mario & Luigi would be a better example of a platform based RPG. [/completelypointlessnitpick]

The difference between the RPGs and the rest of those compared to platformers is that kart racers and sports games feature the characters playing sports and riding in vehicles... while RPGs feature you doing the exact same things you'd do in a platformer (ie: movement, attacks, dodging and defense), but in a much more complicated manner.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The thing is, I'm not even sure on how you'd define an RPG, really.
Same could be said for most genres, I'd say, though RPGs are particularly muddled. I think when most people hear "RPG" they're thinking JRPGs like Final Fantasy and the like; turn-based fights, stats, equipment, random encounters, etc etc, although I'm sure all of that has been defied by one JRPG or another...

I've said it once.

I've said it twice.

Heck, lemme say it a third time.

Sega Allstars Fighting.

Make it happen Sega.

I'd rather have it like that, and not have total Sonic Overdose of Characters, or even Sonic Team Franchises in Tracks. You guys think Sega would be ready to put recently new IP's that they have, and some that aren't developed in-House? Have Bayonetta, Ryo from Yakuza, Alicia from VC etc.

But who would develop a fighting game anyway? Sumo's priorty is Racing games and I don't think they have a really good fighter in them.

But who would develop a fighting game anyway? Sumo's priorty is Racing games and I don't think they have a really good fighter in them.
Given that Dimps helped make Street Fighter IV, among other fighters, it's a wonder nobody's suggested giving it to them instead. Lord knows they could probably handle that much better than a platforming game these days.

Given that Dimps helped make Street Fighter IV, among other fighters, it's a wonder nobody's suggested giving it to them instead. Lord knows they could probably handle that much better than a platforming game these days.

This news gives me hope, but sadly nothing will probably come of this.

I'd like to see Sonic Chronicles 2, and I'd like to see Shade become a part of the mainstream Sega Sonic canon, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Sonic Golf and Sonic Tennis are now in development. Also Sonic Strikers, Sonic Baseball and Sonic Shuffle 2. And Sonic & Mario at the Oly- owait

I liked Sonic Chronicles for being a Sonic game that was different from usual. It was executed very badly though.

I'd like to see more Sonic RPGs, indeed (but well done this time).

A Sonic RPG made by AlphaDreams would make me shit bricks though. Hey, I like dreaming.

Sadly, that's never going to happen. AlphaDream is owned by Nintendo, and SEGA seems adamant on maintaining control of the character.

Hopefully they do a Fighting game at some point. Sega Allstars Fighting, SEGA vs. Capcom. Whatever. It's the only thing I really want from them now. And a Mario & Sonic plattformer, next gen maybe.

I don't. No Megaman would just make me feel even more hateful.sad.gif

Sadly, that's never going to happen. AlphaDream is owned by Nintendo, and SEGA seems adamant on maintaining control of the character.

I know. This is why it's only a dream.

This news gives me hope, but sadly nothing will probably come of this.

I'd like to see Sonic Chronicles 2, and I'd like to see Shade become a part of the mainstream Sega Sonic canon, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

I'm hoping for a sequel to chronicles myself. But it is going to have to be a massive improvement over the first one. I just recently replayed the first chronicles and it really wasn't as good as I thought it was before.

They definitely should finish Chronicles (maybe on 3DS).

I think that'd be great if they actually made something different than a usual Sonic game. RPG, Racing, or any other genre, anything would do, but not something lazy like a new Tennis game. Something that has a decent story, replayability and some actual value as a Sonic game.

I'd love to see a new riders game with cutscenes and solid story like in SRZG btw.

Speaking of a possible (?) Chronicles sequel, something like the Golden Sun series but with Sonic characters would be amazing. Golden Sun is such a masterpiece!

Edited by ArtFenix