Awoo.

How do you feel about [[SPOILER LEVEL]]'s inclusion?

Cortez

EDIT: Sorry about revealing that spoiler, didn't think it was a problem since Seaside Hill is a topic title and that hasn't been revealed yet either >_>

Anyway, yeah I'm still here, just been busy as hell lol.

Anyway, the question I'm asking here is how do you feel about the inclusion of Crisis City's, arguably the least Sonic-esque stage from the least Sonic-esque game, inclusion in a game celebrating 20 years of Sonic?

Personally I think it's genius, a chance to change a dark inferno of fire minions of death and TORNADOS into something that blends perfectly into the Sonic world.

I understand alot of you are upset about Kingdom Valley's overlooking but surely it's a greater deal for them to take one of the biggest mistakes in Sonic history and try and turn it around and show it off as one of Sonic's defining moments, that takes balls right there.

I'm interested to see what route they take with this stage, I'd *like* to see them redesign the Iblis creatures to be abit more cartoony but other than that I'm not sure what they'll do.

How do you guys feel about Crisis City's inclusion?

Edited by Professor J
SWEET JESUS

Holy cow, Professor J! ohmy.gif Long time no see, as Sonic would constantly say :P

Anyway, I'll read your post once you fix it, but I can already give my opinion.

I'm not really sure. I wanted other levels like Kingdom Valley or Tropical Jungle more, but Crisis City does give us a fire level at least. On the downside it's another city.

Edited by MarcelloF

God fucking dammit J

Don't post spoilers as topic titles

Shouldn't

Seaside Hill's

topic be renamed then, too? It hasn't been officialy revealed yet, either.

HOLY SHIT PROFESSOR J (屮ʘДʘ)屮

Eh, if this topic was changed name. Then why is the other one with ~~~~~~~ Hill still on?

EDIT: I actually would love to see a Classic representation of Crisis City.

inb4 that tornado is carrying a car.

inb4 the whole city is on fire.

Edited by Blue Wisp

Shouldn't

Seaside Hill's

topic be renamed then, too? It hasn't been officialy revealed yet, either.

It should actually. It came to our notice a bit too late before we figured anything could be done about it.

I'll rename that topic too though, just in case.

But it's alright J, I figured it was a preemptive thing.

For me, Crisis City DEFINES 06, and I think they'll make a really good job of it - I didn't play most of the game, but Crisis City as Sonic actually proved kind of fun. It does take some serious balls to not ignore perhaps the worst major game in the series.

Besides, Crisis City is fairly Sonicy to me despite the realism - it has lots of highways and buildings to jump on and stuff, kind of like Speed Highway and City Escape.

Although it's another city level it does go a long way to represent '06, given its place in the story. As MarcelloF said it gives us a fire level too. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've done with it considering how amazing Chemical Plant looks. I love post-apocalyptic scenes; especially when they involve the elements. Hopefully we'll have a bit of Flame Core in there so we can get some Lava Reef-inspired moments with Classic Sonic. I just hope the music for the level is close to the original in style, but I can see this stage getting the hard rock treatment.

For me the defining stage for '06 was Kingdom Valley, as it's on the Game's boxart, same goes for Tropical resort on Color's box.

Still, I'm alright with both Crisis city and Planet wisp. Crisis city was shown off alot during '06's hype run and Planet Wisp was the first Colors stage/ environment shown from Colors. I guess I'm actually ok with alot of things we've learned from the leaks seeing as I'm being kinda laidback this go-around. Do your thing Sega, just make sure the stages are good and varied in the final product.

Edited by Inferno

I didn't really like Crisis City in Sonic '06, but it will be interesting to see how they handle it in Generations.

I'd like for them to include elements from Lava Reef.

For me the defining stage for '06 was Kingdom Valley, as it's on the Game's boxart, same goes for Tropical resort on Color's box.

Kingdom Valley was also the first level revealed, and was the level used in the demo. Tropical Resort, though... Planet Wisp is being represented, and it was used in the opening CG animation.

I didn't really like Crisis City in Sonic '06, but it will be interesting to see how they handle it in Generations.

I'd like for them to include elements from Lava Reef.

Like what, though? It's hard to add stuff from a volcano to a burning city; Just because they're both fire levels doesn't really mean anything. laugh.gif

Speaking of volcanoes, Flame Core would've been nice, too, seeing as it has such awesome music. And that could have added elements from Lava Reef a lot easier, I think, if you care.

However, there is something going for a post-apocalyptic city. A scene where the tornado is trying to suck you in while you have boost out of it would be pretty cool looking.

Edited by MarcelloF

Like what, though? It's hard to add stuff from a volcano to a burning city; Just because they're both fire levels doesn't really mean anything. laugh.gif

Speaking of volcanoes, Flame Core would've been nice, too seeing as it has such awesome music. And that could have added elements from Lava Reef a lot easier, I think.

However there is something going for a post-apocalyptic city. A scene where the tornado is trying to suck you in while you have boost out of it would be pretty cool looking.

Eh, only really for nostalgia, Flame Core probably would've been better. I want to see Classic Sonic avoiding lava falls, using the spindash to activate those mechanics and to do something like this

only flying past a tornado instead of a lava fall.

And yeah, seeing Sonic running from the tornado Unleashed style would be awesome

Edited by Mark1

I actually think it was a good level choice. People harp on the fact that there's too many city levels, but it's esscentially a fire level. Sonic '06 was a horrible game with terrible level design and generic level themes, but Crisis City was among the few that was actually cool, even if the level itself was pretty much broken. I'm excited to see what Sonic Team do to the stage to not only make it look better, but play 100x better as well. If they manage to do this stage justice and provide a genuinely fun and cool interpretation of a stage from one of the worst games I've ever played, I will be happy.

I'm perfectly happy that we're getting Crisis City. Aside from maybe Aquatic Base, it's really the only level from '06 that I'd call interesting enough to justify inclusion. I've never really understood what people's fascination with Kingdom Valley is... I never found it to be much more than just another ruins level. I mean, it was generic European ruins instead of South American or Egyptian or whatever Marble Garden counts as, but otherwise I never found it remarkable.

Crisis City, on the other hand, is probably the most unique of the city levels Generations is getting. The whole thing's destroyed and on fire, there are Iblis enemies and car-carrying tornadoes... say what you will about how well a post-apocalyptic hell city fits in with the Sonic franchise, but at least it's different. Actually, the fact that it doesn't really fit in is one of the things I like about it the most: it almost works as a tribute to '06's black-sheep nature (without actually needing to be terrible), and seeing Classic Sonic bopping around and destroying Iblis spawn is going to be completely hilarious. That kind of weird juxtaposition is what Generations is all about.

I really would've preferred Lava Reef as the token fire zone, but Crisis City is the level from '06 I wanted to see the most, so that's an okay comprimise. I'm satisfied.

EDIT: Now with marginally less REALLY spam.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've never really understood what people's fascination with Kingdom Valley is... I never found it to be much more than just another ruins level. I mean, it was generic European ruins instead of South American or Egyptian or whatever Marble Garden counts as, but otherwise I never found it remarkable.

Agreed. Although one bit that does stand out in my memory is the water section. Other than that I really only enjoy the music. I'm not big on the aesthetic.

Edited by Lungo

Crisis City is one of the more tolerable stages for me in that game, so I'm exciting for it to be included.

So now I guess we'll have a Mach Speed section in Sonic Generations? Not excited about that. XD

People harp on the fact that there's too many city levels, but it's esscentially a fire level.
It's both. Levels can represent more than one trope.

As far as being another city level goes...not to get too far into the argument, but I think it's best if each trope is represented no more than 1.5 times. That is, you can have one straight example (like City Escape being just an ordinary city-type level), and one where it's combined (in roughly equal parts) with another trope, or otherwise given a major twist. So if City Escape and Crisis City were the only two city levels, I'd be okay with it, in that sense.

As for being the level choice from '06...personally I had my money on Kingdom Valley, but this is an acceptable choice. I kind of hope they brighten it up a bit so it's not quite so dreary...but then, there's only so much you can do with a post-apocalyptic city.

As for having a level from '06 in the first place...while I generally prefer the game stay buried and forgotten, I really can't think of anything to replace it with in the format they chose. And it is the last anniversary game.

Eh, can't say I'm upset it at least has more than one trope so I guess I can let slide, I would've preferred Kingdom Valley to be honest.

I'm actually hoping it's as realistic as it was in the original. Classic Sonic fighting flaming demon spawn? Wantplz

Stylizing it was a possibility that hadn't occured to me; I'd rather they don't, as it could set itself apart from the other levels with it's realismism. Crisis City done right.

Edited by Mordecai

I am really happy they included Crisis City. It was the best designed level in 06 (along with Kingdom Valley). I cant wait to run trough it as Modern Sonic chased by Tornado (Or Iblis himself! Make it happen SEGA!).

Maybe Classic Sonic will have his level in lower part of the city and once go to something that will look like Cavern. This would be nice reference to Lava Reef.

Anyway, the question I'm asking here is how do you feel about the inclusion of Crisis City's, arguably the least Sonic-esque stage from the least Sonic-esque game, inclusion in a game celebrating 20 years of Sonic?

Arguably? Don't mind if I do!

Personally Unleashed is the least Sonic-esque game for me, and having no problem at all with '06 I don't mind Crisis City's inclusion.

Personally I think it's genius, a chance to change a dark inferno of fire minions of death and TORNADOS into something that blends perfectly into the Sonic world.

Your implication being..... it needed changing? Can't see why. Who's to say what isn't Sonic and what is. Persoanlly I don't feel shoving the real world down our throats ala Unleashed is Sonic at all yet it is.

Some Sonic games have drama and fiery creatures and are a little darker, doesn't make them less of a Sonic game.

I understand alot of you are upset about Kingdom Valley's overlooking but surely it's a greater deal for them to take one of the biggest mistakes in Sonic history and try and turn it around and show it off as one of Sonic's defining moments, that takes balls right there.

I would much rather have had Kingdom Valley as it had nicer visuals and might've added a sort of water level trope to the undesirable list of levels we've got, plus it was damn cool. I would also have preferred Radical Train as that stage was kinda cool and even though they're ommiting Game Gear games from Sonic Generations like it's some kind of leperous family member, the inclusion of Radical Train would've been a good way to implement Nack/Fang as a cameo appearance/mini boss fight adding a litte Sonic Triple Trouble easter egg by evoking SunSet Park (possibly the most famous level from the game) and it's own Train themes.

I'm interested to see what route they take with this stage, I'd *like* to see them redesign the Iblis creatures to be abit more cartoony but other than that I'm not sure what they'll do.

And while were at it the whole theme of an evil genius with an IQ of 300 seems a tad dark, how bout we dial that down and make him just wanna give the world a hug?

Things are (were) what they are, lets keep it that way. Cuddly little cute flame creatures in a city that's just warm and toasty is not fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, Crisis City is the one stage in generations I'm looking forward to th most in generations. Even though it is another city stage it's also a fire stage.

I'm thinking that the sky in the level will be completely pitch black like in silvers intro movie. The buildings can be completely engulfed in flames and have volcanoes growing out of them. Also since a lot of people really wanted lava reef in the game, I'm thinking Crisis City will incorporate aspects from Lava Reef and possibly Flame core.

If this happens I think a stage from a terrible game could end up being my favorite in Generations.

Crisis City was one of the few well designed levels in Sonic 2006, along with Kingdom Valley. I was very happy they went with Crisis though, as there really is no other Sonic stage like it, aside from the Rivals 2 stage that attempted to imitate it later.

I hope the flame demons aren't replaced either. It just wouldn't be an accurate depiction of the game if they weren't in it, regardless of how well it would fit in with the other Generations stages. And if there are no tornadoes picking up cars, I will be very disappointed.

Edited by Legendary Emerald