Awoo.

Eggman's OTHER Game

Dr. Mechano

In 1993, a game starring Dr. Robotnik was announced. This game, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, highlighted the mad doctor's attempts to conquer a town and make a small step for his expanding empire. There was just one little problem with this foray into stardom... Robotnik, despite being the main character by default, was not playable. In Sonic's absence, the player would challenge the doctor and his robots in a battle of wits, maneuvering their Mean Beans about in a fun, addicting puzzler. Still, for Robotnik fans who wanted a real starring role, this proved to be a letdown.

Years later, though, another game came onto the scene. A game that, to this day, many people aren't aware of its existence. I refer of course to the 2004 mobile game, Sonic Panel Puzzle.

sonic_panel_puzzle.gif

This is the game.

An obvious tie-in to Sonic Battle, the puzzles use character art from the game, and your player is Eggman in his red Eggmobile. Perhaps this is a halfhearted apology for excluding Eggman from (normal) playability in Battle. Either way, the doctor's not out to conquer the world or build a new doomsday device- He's here to show off his smarts in another game of the mind by unscrambling the titular panel puzzle by moving his Eggmobile along the various boards.

spz.gif

The game is fun enough, albeit incredibly simplistic. Ordinarily, it'd simply be a run-of-the-mill tile puzzle, but Eggman's starring role gives it- if nothing else- a strange sort of novelty value. The title doesn't even hint at his involvement in the game- Though this isn't too surprising, as the far more expected Eggman game, "Dr. Eggman's Number Guess Panic", actually stars Tails.

It's not the sort of explosive action you'd expect from Eggman, but if you enjoy a good puzzle with a mad scientist twist, I'd recommend looking into it. Perhaps someday we'll get a better Eggman game, but for now, this is pretty cool in its own right, I suppose.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Mechano

• Eileanach

• Solid SOAP

• JezMM

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see an Eggman/Robotnik game along the vein of Nuts & Bolts, where you solve puzzles and stuff with vehicles you've created. That's right up Robotnik's ally.

Well it is an interesting idea for a game but poor Eggman he only ever gets really guff remakes of games for his own, Mean Bean Machine... whilst exceptionally hard was just sort of like Tetris and other rip offs (there was a Japanese one more closely related like IDENTICALLY related but I forget it's name). Why can't he get an actual game?! I mean Shadow got a game, it sucked, I know, but he got a game. Why can't the Eggmiester get one?

I do like the idea Solid SOAP has suggested, a Dr. Robotnik: Nuts and Bolts sounds like a PERFECT game, almost suspiciously perfect, like he knows something we don't! But I do love that idea.

Well it is an interesting idea for a game but poor Eggman he only ever gets really guff remakes of games for his own, Mean Bean Machine... whilst exceptionally hard was just sort of like Tetris and other rip offs (there was a Japanese one more closely related like IDENTICALLY related but I forget it's name).

Mean Bean Machine was basically a game called Puyo Pop if I recall. In fact, I'm not sure, but Mean Bean Machine might have been a remarketing of the game in the same way the SNES got the Yoshi themed Tetris Attack instead of the Japanese fairy-filled Panel De Pon. Same game, redone graphics.

^ Puyo Pop that's the one! Thanks JezMM I knew I wasn't crazy! Yeah I don't see a fairy filled game selling over here the same as it would in Japan.

Mean Bean Machine was basically a game called Puyo Pop if I recall. In fact, I'm not sure, but Mean Bean Machine might have been a remarketing of the game in the same way the SNES got the Yoshi themed Tetris Attack instead of the Japanese fairy-filled Panel De Pon. Same game, redone graphics.

Don't forget Kirby's avalanche. It was a ripoff of Mean Bean Machine as well.

Argh! So many obscure mobile titles! I can't keep up!

Lemme guess, there was a game starring Chaos as well?

On topic though, the game looks kind of fun, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to find it.

Lemme guess, there was a game starring Chaos as well?

Well, no. But Amy got some card game for mobile phones too, or something like that. So she can be technically said to have gotten a starring role as well.

But either way, here you get to actually play as Eggman in the Eggmobile as he moves around... flipping panels. I know the premise could've been better, but I still think this is pretty cool, especially compared to Mean Bean Machine, which lacked this playability.

I didn't know there were that many mobile Sonic games around. The only one I could ever find for AT&T was a port of Sonic 1 for the Genesis.