Sign in to follow this  
Badnik Mechanic

Fifa 12 is awarded "best console game" by gamescom

Gamescom is drawing to a close, but it had one more suprise in store for the world.

That was the winners list for the various awards it gives out. There were a few expectations, Battlefield 3 was awarded best in show. Playstation Vita won best hardware and/or accessory.

However... there is one award that has more that in my opinion has more or less cemented the belief that 'industry experts' are useless twats who are only called upon when various videogame websites need a blog filler for the day.

The best console game is awarded too! Fifa 12!

What?

Here is the list in full.

Battlefield 3, Best of gamescom, Electronic Arts

PlayStation Vita, Best Hardware or Hardware Accessories, Sony Computer Entertainment

FIFA 12, Best Console Game, Electronic Arts

Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Best Mobile Game, Sony Computer Entertainment

Star Wars: The Old Republic, Best Online Game, Electronic Arts

Diablo III, Best PC Game, Blizzard Entertainment

The Sims Social, Best Browser Game, Electronic Arts

Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster, Best Family Game, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

I kinda expected Battlefield 3... I also expected the sims social to win something... But... I dunno.

FIFA 12 best console game? Looking at was at Gamescom this year...

I would like to offer my own suggestions as to what other console games would be better and more deserving choice.

PS3/Xbox 360

Oh yeah and one more ANY GAME THAT ISN'T FIFA 12!?

How on earth... out of every game that was there! Did Fifa 12 get the best console game award!?

I think that this video more or less sums up my reaction.

Is there a comedy gif from Gamescom this year which could sum up this winning list for us?

Source

Are they commending it for the simple case of not fixing what isn't broken? Not sure its a "Game Of The Year" reason. As far as I know, its the same football game with their football strips changing every year.

Also, Robbie Williams "Angels" is a great song. The public don't have it as their number one choice of song to play at their funeral for nothing.

I've seen FIFA 12 getting so much attention ever since it was announced, even more so within the past couple of weeks. I don't get it. I'm not into Football or Football games, but I've watched presentations at E3 and Gamescom, and it looks just the same as every other year's FIFA. I even saw some hyped up guy pre-ordering that special edition thingy of the game EA's been hyping in one of my local GAME stores yesterday and was baffled as to why he was so excited. I guess there must be some real changes to the game this year that only regular players understand.

Every time I saw the word football, I thought of the USA version. You know the one that really has nothing to do with kicking the ball but instead tackling the crap out of players. I'm so use to people (here) calling football soccer that it threw me off for a second.

Anyways on topic, I did not expect that at all. I was really expecting Battlefield or MW3 to take the title. But a soccer (football) game? Yeah someone is trolling.

Edited by Eternal X

Well, I don't know about the rest of Europe, but the UK LOVES and ADORES Football (Soccer); it's serious business. You should hear the way the public and officials talk about it on the radio and TV. People seem to forget that it's just a game.

If by just a game you mean the EA one then yes, but the real one stopped being just a game when it became hyper-proffesional

Looks like the people giving out the awards are not the only ones coming under fire for bad decision making.

The people who were in charge of crowd control and entry are also getting a beating for allowing this to happen!

The venue could hold 62,000 people.... and it wasn't anywhere near enough. At one point all lines into the venue were shut due to the mass of people in the venue.

And you though SOS was packed!