Awoo.

[FICTION] SHADOWS OF THE HEDGEHOG

Doctor MK

SHADOWS OF THE HEDGEHOG is a fan-novel based on the Fleetway origin stories, though written in a way so that it fits in with the modern canon. It is very much an in-the-works project, but all I have managed to do so far is the Prologue and the first half of Chapter One. I hope you enjoy, feedback will be taken into account.

So, without further ado...

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG:

SHADOWS OF THE HEDGEHOG

~ PROLOGUE ~

If you were to travel 11,763,222 light years from our world you would discover a small galaxy. Well, actually you wouldn’t because it exists in a parallel dimension, as well as being in a different time zone and the simple fact that the whole region is made up of dark matter. But if you were able to get there, you would see a beautiful, unspoilt world that is not too dissimilar to our own. No one truly knows what this world is called so, for the sake of ease, let us refer to it as “Earth”.

Before we look at the present day, let us take a look at one of the key moments in this world’s history.

Fifty years ago, a world renowned scientist named Professor Gerald Robotnik was commissioned by the government to discover the secrets to eternal life, which he undertook to try and cure his granddaughter’s illness. Aboard the military research space station, the Space Colony ARK, Gerald began work on ‘Project Shadow’. After years of work, G.U.N. (the Guardian Unit of Nations) decided the experiment was too dangerous to humanity and boarded the space station to shut it down. This ended in a massacre in which Gerald’s granddaughter, Maria, was killed. Soon after, Gerald himself was captured by the government and consequently executed, his projects never to see the light of day again.

However, that is neither here nor there. Let us continue.

Earth was once a place of peace, but has long since become a place of fear. The reason? An evil dictator bent on world domination, known as Doctor Eggman. Mysteriously appearing, seemingly out of nowhere, Eggman plots to claim this world as his own. With a deadly army of robotic creatures (commonly referred to as “badniks”) under his command, Eggman captures the innocent animal inhabitants of the planet’s various “zones” (or the different regions within continents, if you will) and uses them as living batteries to power his machines, be they more badniks or doomsday devices. Eggman’s ambition is to enslave everyone on the planet and make them tremble in fear, so he can transform the world into his own evil empire. With an IQ of 300 and the industrial capital city of Metropolis currently at his disposal, it seems his plans could soon become a reality.

Fortunately, a group of freedom fighters stand in Eggman’s way and vow to sop him at all costs. Led by the heroic teenage hedgehog Sonic, named so because of his ability to run faster than the speed of sound, they fight for a better future and risk their lives battling Eggman’s forces. Sonic has thwarted Eggman’s schemes time and time again, to the point where the two now consider themselves bitter enemies.

However, unknown to both Sonic and Eggman, they share a long forgotten past.

One that is soon to be revealed.

~ CHAPTER ONE: HIS WORLD ~

The lush open plains of the Green Hill Zone glistened as the shining sun slowly rose into the sky. The birds began to sing and the flowers began to dance to their cheery tune. It was indeed a beautiful day.

Two woodland creatures, a pig and a rabbit, were taking a stroll under the brilliant blue sky, with joyous smiles on their faces. “Lovely day for the annual Green Hill market, wouldn’t you say Johnny?” asked the pig to the rabbit. “I couldn’t agree more Porker,” replied the rabbit. “It’s simply wonderful. I don’t think anything could spoil this day!”

Suddenly, a huge gust of wind blew past Porker and Johnny. “Oh my, what was that?” cried Porker. “I don’t know… it appears to have gotten windy all of a sudden” answered Johnny, “but whatever it was has died down now!”.

There was another unexpected gust of wind.

“You were saying, Johnny?” exclaimed a now fretful Porker. “Wait a minute!” puzzled Johnny. “That’s no wind!”. Porker’s fearful frown became a grin of delight. “You don’t mean…?” he said excitedly. “Yeah! It’s not wind at all!”

“It’s Sonic the Hedgehog!”

For a third time, the blue streak sped by the two wanderers, this time proceeding to race around the hills and dash around a few of the zone’s signature loop-de-loop structures before landing on top of an object not unlike a totem pole, waggling his finger in a rather showy fashion. With his radical red and white sneakers, his emerald green eyes, and his spiky blue body, Sonic was the ultimate vision of all that was cool and just – with an attitude to boot.

Johnny and Porker stood in awe. “WOW…!”

“Hey guys!” grinned Sonic. “How’s it hanging?”

Porker was frozen to the spot with amazement, his eyes gleaming in Sonic’s presence. Noticing this, Johnny quickly moved in to answer the question. “We’re cool, Sonic! We’re just heading to the Green Hill market! Are you going this year?” he asked. “Of course! I wouldn’t miss it for the world!” replied Sonic, now rubbing his nose with his finger. “Well, do you want to come with us then?” queried Johnny. Hands now on his hips, Sonic answered “I’d love to, but I’m afraid I’ve gotta meet up with someone first! But I’ll be sure to check you guys out later! See ya!”

And with that, Sonic zoomed off into the horizon.

After such a long silence, Porker finally spoke out. “Oh my god… we just met Sonic!”

With a shrug of his shoulders, Johnny headed off in the direction of the market, dragging Porker – who was still frozen with joy – along with him.

Sonic’s feet raced along the ground, his arms held out behind him and the wind rushing through his hair. He chuckled as he ran across the long stretch of nature, passing by trees and flowers in the blink of an eye. As a small building appeared in the distance, Sonic leapt forwards and began to put on the brakes, screeching to a halt just outside a large hangar door. He had arrived.

“Hey! Anybody home?” shouted Sonic. A few seconds passed. Sonic sighed. Folding his arms and tapping his left foot on the floor repeatedly, he commented “I’m waiting!”.

A small young fox walked around from one side of the building. However, this was a fox unlike any other due to one distinctive feature – he had two tails. This was, without a doubt, Miles Prower (or as he is better known to his friends, “Tails”). For an eight year old, Tails was extremely clever with a very technical mind, and by spinning his two tails together in unison he had the ability to fly for short periods of time. He was also a loyal and long-time friend of Sonic.

“Hey Sonic!” Tails began. “Sorry to keep you waiting, I was busy fixing something up in the workshop”. Sonic gave a quiet laugh. “I was only messing with you Tails, I know you’re a busy little guy! Are you ready to head off to the market yet?” he asked. “Sure thing Sonic, but I’ve got something to show you first. Come on, it’s round back!” revealed Tails, gesturing for Sonic to follow. “Okay! This is gonna be awesome!” remarked Sonic, giving Tails a thumbs up before following round to the back of the workshop.

As he turned the corner, Sonic’s wondering expression became an astounded smirk. “Way cool, Tails!”

There, standing before him, was a shiny new red bi-plane. The paintwork was well done and the engineering was genius… and to think, all of this had been made by one eight year old fox. “I call it the Tornado!” explained Tails. “It’s a little something I thought we could use for reaching new places, confronting airborne enemies, or simply just appreciating the landscape!”. Sonic gave another thumbs up, this time of approval. “I think it’s great! I’m sure it’ll come in handy in the future!”. A smile appeared on Tails’ face. “Thanks, Sonic!”

“Now, let’s get moving! The market’s already underway and you know me, I don’t like to stay still for too long!” interrupted Sonic. Tails nodded in agreement. “Let’s go!”

With that, Sonic sped away and Tails began to fly and follow behind, leaving a huge cloud of dust in their wake.

“I’m up, over and gone!”

Edited by MK Skillz

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doctor MK

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic