Awoo.

...Do you think Sonic's an 'Aussie'?

midori

I know this topic is not very deep, thought-provoking or anything, but I'd really like to see what other people think about this.

I mean, Sonic birthplace is Christmas Island, which belongs to Australia on our Earth, and considering that many countries from our Earth seem to have their counterparts on Sonic's Earth, it's quite possible that that Christmas Island belongs to a counterpart of Australia.

I know some people believe the island Sonic was born on was actually Kiritimati, but the nearby islands (like South Island) fit more to C.I.

Also, Sonic's colour scheme is commonly believed to represent the flag of USA, yet the Australian flag seems even more similar. It has more blue.

And this theory of mine would explain his fear of water, with all those sharks, irukandji and whatnot all around Australia.

I'm thinking too much.

The "blue" in the flag I'm pretty sure is actually purple/indigo, I'm sure of it.

But Sonic being Austrailian?.....that would be a pretty cool plot twist. mellow.gif

It seems blue on my screen blink.gif I guess the colors are a bit off. This monitor is not in the best state.

I don't know if it would be a plot twist, but certainly a nice change from most of fictional characters being American.

The "blue" in the flag I'm pretty sure is actually purple/indigo, I'm sure of it.

If this is what you're saying when you're sure, I'd hate to see what you're unsure of. :P

It's definitely blue.

Major plot twist: Sonic is French.

His fear of water ? Well, he's French after all.

His accent ? Destroyed by chilli dogs.

And he's constantly running away.

• Thumbs Up 2

He can't be French. Even he has a better sense of humor. blink.gif

Anyway, it just dawned upon me that it's better if SEGA doesn't acknowledge the possibility of his being Australian. Just look at how subtly it was hinted that Marine is a sheila from the land down under, mate! laugh.gif Perhaps one of those septics from SoA took a squiz at how a skippy bludger, clad only in shonky thongs and budgie-smugglers, tripped and fell arse-over-ti*s and spilled a whole stubby on a bogan's (who just came out of an ute) trackie dacks, and that inspired him. huh.gif

?? Your earlier post seemed unfunny to me because I had no idea you joked about some stereotypes. I didn't know French were afraid of water. and such.

nevermind.

What's interesting, most people on Christmas Island are actually Chinese (have Chinese ancestors), but that's due to political migration.

If this is what you're saying when you're sure, I'd hate to see what you're unsure of. tongue.gif

It's definitely blue.

Silly peoples. Sonic's Mobian.

Alternatively, according to Eggman he come's from Sonic's World, so he'd be a Sonic Worldian.

?? Your earlier post seemed unfunny to me because I had no idea you joked about some stereotypes. I didn't know French were afraid of water. and such.

nevermind.

What's interesting, most people on Christmas Island are actually Chinese (have Chinese ancestors), but that's due to political migration.

Nope. I meant that French people are afraid of everything, always give up and run away from troubles. According to the stereotype at least.

Nevermind that, really. >_< Let's run away from the topic of stereotypes about the frog-eaters.

Cam, she'll be apples, galah. laugh.gif oh, how I love Australian slang!

In the Sonic Comics there's actually an Australian Freedom Fighters. I know the comics aren't canon, but I honestly think that's the closest you're going to get to Australia in a Sonic game. That and Sonic Rush Adventure and Marine.

2534219928_a5ba910bcf.jpg

Sonic's voiced by an Aussie in the OVA. Martin Burke is Irish, never mind.

And Green Hill Zone is based off of New Zealand.

There's also a lodge in New Zealand called the Greenhill Lodge.

South Island is also close to New Zealand.

Guess where those are located?

Australia.

map.jpg

When I typed in "Australian Hedgehog" in Google search to see if they had any hedgehogs native there, well...

9sv0rd.jpg

...I really don't blame Sonic for disassociating himself from "Down Unda."

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 9

According to comic canon, Vector's also a Downunda bloke.

...I'll stick with Marine, thanks.

On a different random note, isn't it ironic that the project known as "Sonic's Ass" in its early days went on to be Crash bandicoot, a series set prominently in a fictional Archipelago off the mainland of Australia?

Sonic's Australian?

*Cancels Sonic Generations pre-order*

What do you have against Austrailians?

No, Martin Burke isn't Australian. He's Irish.

And Aussies eat kangaroos. I've heard kangaroo meat is cheaper than beef down there. And it's tasty. No wonder they'd eat hedgehogs. tongue.gif

Either way Christmas Island is very different from Australia. It has those crazy crab migrations. When literally millions of crabs travel around the island. Just see some videos of it.

Edited by midori

No, Sonic can't be Australlian. As far as I'm concerned, he's a Biluingal Asian, or American.

I know I spelled bilingle wrong because I can't spell it but, whatevs.

No, Sonic can't be Australlian. As far as I'm concerned, he's a Biluingal Asian, or American.

I know I spelled bilingle wrong because I can't spell it but, whatevs.

Bi lingu al. Learn to spell.

Also, since you gave no arguments to support your opinion, your opinion is invalid. tongue.gif But if I had to choose, I'd rather like him as a bilingual Japanese. Junichi Kanemaru can speak English very well for a Japanese. He could voice Sonic in English versions of the games. And sing the theme songs. And I wouldn't dare to complain about anything in a game that featured so much of his voice. laugh.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Curious question.

Australia has never been referenced and acknowledged from an in-universe viewpoint, so I question if Sonic could be outright labelled as an Aussie in-universe. I don't think it can be even said that the Christmas Island in-universe is one and the same as the Christmas Island in the real world. I don't see why it shouldn't be because why was Christmas Island specifically referenced if it didn't exist in the game universe?

However, if you look at the planet in Unleashed, it's not like there's a landmass that even vaguely resembles Australia or Christmas Island unless I'm missing something.

I personally think Christmas Island as Sonic's birthplace is fascinating. Christmas Island is like a natural wonderland where species have existed in isolation. Could his birthplace be a direct reference to Sonic symbolizing nature? It's something I've wondered...

Regarding the accent: according to Generations he had no voice before he left his island home, so no Australian accents would be necessary. If anything, Sonic should have one of those strange pan-world accents (a mix of many), given that he never stays in one place for very long. What about Tails though? Apparently he could speak back then. Is West Side Island or whatever supposed to be near South Island?

Regarding the accent: according to Generations he had no voice before he left his island home, so no Australian accents would be necessary. If anything, Sonic should have one of those strange pan-world accents (a mix of many), given that he never stays in one place for very long. What about Tails though? Apparently he could speak back then. Is West Side Island or whatever supposed to be near South Island?

There is a real-life West Side Island very close to Australia. You can find it on Google Maps.

Bi lingu al. Learn to spell.

Also, since you gave no arguments to support your opinion, your opinion is invalid. tongue.gif But if I had to choose, I'd rather like him as a bilingual Japanese. Junichi Kanemaru can speak English very well for a Japanese. He could voice Sonic in English versions of the games. And sing the theme songs. And I wouldn't dare to complain about anything in a game that featured so much of his voice. laugh.gif

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Everything I have seen of him (NOT pertaining to when the US got hold of him) was in regards to Japan, Japanese culture and being Japanese. I always liked that idea some how even if it's over used. Being that he was created in Japan by Japanese artists I just always went with that happy.gif

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Everything I have seen of him (NOT pertaining to when the US got hold of him) was in regards to Japan, Japanese culture and being Japanese. I always liked that idea some how even if it's over used. Being that he was created in Japan by Japanese artists I just always went with that happy.gif

I'm not so sure about this. I had the impression that originally Sonic was meant to appeal to both Japan and US (let's ignore the rest of the world for now) and switched to target USA later on when it turned out he didn't sell well in Japan anyway. If he was meant to appeal to Japanese more, he'd be much cuter, have much less attitude (unless he was a tsundere or a generic anti-hero) and everything would be more crazy-colorful with tons of cute high school girls with short skirts (he could be turned into one himself).

I think Sonic's being a hedgehog greatly decreases his appeal. If the whole cast was turned into a bunch of lolis with generic anime personalities, I'm sure he'd be more popular in Japan.

I really have to make a webcomic like this.

• Thumbs Up 1