Steve

Sonic CD for XBLA/PSN/Steam/mobile phones

Major Nelson, majordomo of all things Xbox, took to his blog this afternoon and posted a detailed list of all the games and events that will be spread out across Microsoft's five booths at this week's Penny Arcade Expo. It's about what you'd expect; Gears of War 3 Horde mode, Forza 4, Mass Effect 3, etc, until you get to the list of Booth 432's XBLA titles. Right near the end, snuggled squarely between Retro City Rampage and War of the Worlds, is an unannounced XBLA port of Sonic CD.

We've reached out to Major Nelson and Sega for comment, but as of yet no additional confirmation has been provided by either party. We suspect they're too enthralled by

to even move, let alone respond to our e mails.

Update: A communique has hit our inbox from Sega PR: "We don't have any details at this time, but we'll be sharing some more information soon."

Source: http://www.joystiq.c...layable-at-pax/

Edited by Jake Frost

I thought everyone already owned this game already.

This isn't Sonic 1 :P

I suppose, lots of people don't have a SEGA CD (not to mention it's very old now), didn't buy Gems Collections and the PC version is incompatible with Windows XP and beyond.

I thought everyone already owned this game already.

The game was only ported twice to PC(which as Blue Blood said, doesn't workl with XP and higher; even the Sonic CD PC Fix doesn't fix all of it's problems) and Sonic Gems Collection. Maybe you're thinking about the other classics.

I hope this comes to PSN too, as well as S3&K (too bad it wasn't on SUGC :/ )

Edited by Ananze

Is it going to be upscaled into HD?

Anyway, if they somehow add an addition to choose between the American or Europe/Japan soundtracks, I'll be a happy bunny.

That would be pretty cool too, if it got an HD update and let the player choose soundtracks.

Other than some minor glitches, the PC port is basically identical, except the PC version has the full quality/length intro and credits and a better save system.

So it's a good thing. The only thing they messed up with in the Gems Collection port was the water colour.

After years I can finally own it again. They better include the EU/JP soundtrack as DLC for it

No. They better have both soundtracks included out of the box, preferably with a toggle so you can choose the music for individual zones.

No. They better have both soundtracks included out of the box, preferably with a toggle so you can choose the music for individual zones.

Sort of like in Mvc3 where you can decide what characters can speak japanese and which ones can speak english.

Oh my god, thank you SEGA! Hopefully it is released this year. It would make Sonic's 20th Anniversary an awesome one. I wonder if after this they will port Sonic Adventure 2? Also, I agree with the rest on a toggle option to decide between the different sound tracks.

You guys know me. Just "AWWWW YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHH"ing in the background.

I really, truly hope this is done by Taxman and/or Sega with the Retro Engine, but even if it's not, I'm still buying this. Sonic CD is Sonic CD is Sonic CD, and I love both soundtracks equally, as well as both Sega/MegaCD & PC version. Definitely a purchase from me.

This isn't Sonic 1 tongue.gif

I suppose, lots of people don't have a SEGA CD (not to mention it's very old now), didn't buy Gems Collections and the PC version is incompatible with Windows XP and beyond.

Dude. Don't assume. I don't HAVE Sonic 1.

This is nice news, I guess. Sonic CD was never my favourite, but so long as it has the JP/ EU soundtrack, I'll certainly grab it.

Sorry SEGA, no sale if it only has the US soundtrack though. =< As others have said, switchable would be ideal, although it worries me that they will just stick with the US. I mean, the SA1 XBLA version is just a port of the PC version, after all.