Awoo.

The SSMB PC Troubleshooting and Discussion Thread

Velotix von Skruviktorrius

Guys I almost have my parts picked out. Im still deciding on the graphics card though, I was told by HP to look through this list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=agp+8x+graphics

What do you guys reccommend? Remember here is a full specs workup:

http://pastebin.com/yc4VrXg9

Urg, ever since I did an optional nVidia update through windows update (figured I should since I was getting a new graphical intensive game), all widescreen resolutions smaller than maximum (my monitor is 1680x1050 but I prefer to play games at 1200x800 for perfomance) are displaying squished with black bars at the top and bottom.  The only way to get it to display at correct resolution is to fiddle with my external monitor settings to add black bars to the left and right too, meaning I get a non-squashed image but the whole thing is surrounded by a black boarder, not filling the screen.

The only posts I can find of similar issues are from 2011.  8C  Tried System Restore but I apparently only have 2 restore points and both are from the last 2 days (I installed the update 4 days ago).  Also manually downloaded the latest drivers from nVidia's site for my specific graphics card and no change.

It’s not life ruining, I quickly get used to the slightly smaller display once in-game, but still, would rather not have it.

Regarding System Restore, did you check this one checkbox somewhere in the window? It allows you to choose even older restore Points, if they are available. However, if you have not yet attempted doing this, you might want to merely try returning to your old graphics driver.

To return back to your previous driver, right-click Computer and hit manage. In the left row, go to Device Manager, then, in the big main window, expand display adapters. Right-click the Nvidia entry, click on properties, and then go to the Driver tab. From there, you should be able to press the Roll Back Driver button. This should return your display configuration back to the previously installed Nvidia driver, which should resolve the issue.

If the problem still occurs, the update may have affected your Nvidia software and Nvidia control panel, me thinks.

I hope it gets fixed soon. Best of luck!

Guys really need some help picking out a decent video/graphics card I need to order my parts by either today or tommorow:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=agp+8x+graphics

What do you guys reccommend? Remember here is a full specs workup:

http://pastebin.com/yc4VrXg9

Regarding System Restore, did you check this one checkbox somewhere in the window? It allows you to choose even older restore Points, if they are available. However, if you have not yet attempted doing this, you might want to merely try returning to your old graphics driver.

To return back to your previous driver, right-click Computer and hit manage. In the left row, go to Device Manager, then, in the big main window, expand display adapters. Right-click the Nvidia entry, click on properties, and then go to the Driver tab. From there, you should be able to press the Roll Back Driver button. This should return your display configuration back to the previously installed Nvidia driver, which should resolve the issue.

If the problem still occurs, the update may have affected your Nvidia software and Nvidia control panel, me thinks.

I hope it gets fixed soon. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tip Diz but alas it didn't work.  The timeline of events went like this:

1. Downloaded optional update for nVidia through Windows Update

2. Noticed screen problem but assumed it was just BioShock Infinite doing it

3. (3 days pass)

4. Discovered other games were doing it too

5. Attempted to use System Restore but Windows Security Essentials had made several restore checkpoints automatically over the last 2 days that had bumped anything earlier off my choices (I saw no tickbox that you mentioned on System Restore).

6. Downloaded latest nVidia drivers to see if that would fix it

7. Posted here with problem

8. Driver rollback presumebly therefore only rolled back to before number 6 on this list, so the problem remained.

Ah well.  8C  I'm getting a new comp soon anyway so I might just say "fuck it whatever" lol.

In that case, you may have better success downloading an old driver and having it at the ready, then uninstall the current Nvidia software and driver (first from Control Panel's remove programs function, restart and then right-click and uninstall the Nvidia driver from device manager if it still shows up in there and restart once more), and then install the old software and driver.

You should go to your PC's manufacturer website's support section and download the Nvidia driver designated to your PC model from there. For instance, HP's support site, reachable directly from their home page, is http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

The computer manufacturer's driver and support pages usually contain slightly outdated drivers specifically intended for your PC. Usually, the support sites list the driver's version and date, and you can compare this with the driver through Device Manager for verification.

Best of luck!

EDIT: sorry the post is so cluttered im doing this on my phone and something weird is going on.

Hi, need some major help.

So yesterday I was on my Windows 7 laptop moving stuff from the desktop onto my External HDD, when my computer froze. So I naturally turned it off and tried to restart. Only when I tried to restart it froze before I got to the password screen.

I rebooted it one more time, and now I get this message whenever I try to boot it.

Windows 7 deploy error 0xc000000e - boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

What does this mean? How can I fix it? Not a tech person so excuse my noob knowledge. I'm trying to boot up the laptop in safe mode, but it seems to be taking a long time. It's currently on a screen saying "Loading Windows Files"

Edited by Nintendoga

I had the exact same problem with my PC late last year. Turns out my Solid State Drive had completely died so I had to re-install Windows onto my Hard Disk Drive instead. 

I'm guessing you only have the one HDD in your laptop?

Hm, that initial system freeze must have borked up some major system files while you were doing the transfer. Unfortunately, unless I'm mistaken, you'll have to perform a clean installation on that computer.

Did you by any chance bump into your computer during the process?

It might be that your system harddrive is dying or is as good as dead. It has happened twice to me that the computer just froze up, and that was the last I saw of harddrive life. If it is a computer you received from school or so, you might want to take it up with them in case they added any encryption mechanism. To me it sounds like an HDD encryption or health problem.

If by any luck this is only about corrupted system files, you should use Last Known Good Configuration, seeing as you are able to reach the diagnostics screen and have not been able to log on since the incident. If that fails, you should boot up on your Windows 7 installation DVD, if you have one. It has offline system diagnostics and repair tools, lets you attempt to restore your computer's system files to several earlier points in time, lets you continue copying files to your external HDD using command prompt (assuming the system drive is not dead) as well as reinstalling Windows 7.

Really wasn't sure where else to post this, but this seems like the most fitting thread on offer! (if you think a new thread needs to be made for this particular subject, let me know!) Anyway, cutting to the chase...

I need some a music set-up! For the past few years I've been using my University's studio for sound production to go with my game creation and animation, but since I finish soon I need something I can use when the studio's not available to me anymore! Since I'm a Windows user, I can't use Logic Pro (and its huge sound library) like I have been, so I've heard FLStudio is the best way to go. But how easy is it to pick up? Are there many tutorials around or is it a case of trial and error for the most part? Also, would this version suffice? I'm aware big sample libraries are a lot of money, but if this has some basic loops and instruments to work with that'd be groovy!

Secondly, a MIDI keyboard! Any particularly well-known/reliable ones out there for a decent price?

Third and finally, a microphone! I've seen a few bundles with pop filters and the like included, but not sure how reliable they are. Same deal with the keyboard really. :P

Cheers to anyone who can help a music n00b out, hopefully if I can get this all up and running soon I can work on something for the TSS album next year. ;)

I'd say Mixcraft is actually good for a beginner. FL could be a bit disorientating and take time to get used to. They can both share the all the VSTs/soundfonts you need them to, and Mixcraft gets everything you need done simpler and faster. 

FL is a bit more professional though! Mastering is a bit more easier and better over there.

Well, yeah, that's my two cents.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say Mixcraft is actually good for a beginner. FL could be a bit disorientating and take time to get used to. They can both share the all the VSTs/soundfonts you need them to, and Mixcraft gets everything you need done simpler and faster. 

FL is a bit more professional though! Mastering is a bit more easier and better over there.

Well, yeah, that's my two cents.

While we're on the subject of composition software, have you tried LMMS? If so, what's your opinion on it? I've tried it and found it pretty unintuitive, but maybe that's just me not knowing what I'm doing.

3) Purchasing advice for new PC parts

I have some recommendations to make (for gamers mostly), here:

CPU: Let's start with the processor, if you're planning to get a new computer, never get any processor earlier than Intel Core i3, I suggest Core i5 for most users, since Core i7 is rather pricey and not really needed even for the most graphically intense video games.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 series and later (GTX 500, GTX 600), with at 'least' 1024 megabytes of DDR3 video memory.

RAM: 2 gigabytes of DDR3 memory is enough to run Windows Seven, but never enough for massive games, 3 gigabytes is optimal, I myself recommend to go with 4 gigabytes, since there's not many existing games that use more, so it should be more than enough.

HDD: Seriously, in times like these, anything smaller than 1 terabyte is never enough!

Main Board (Motherboard): I have Gigabyte and I'm happy with it, choose the size enough for your needs and all.

Others: Make sure to get a very good Power Supply, that can take the hard disk drives, disk drives (CD, DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray), cooling fans, and everything else.

And make sure you have a fine cooling system, no one ever likes an overheat or a fan malfunction.

That's pretty much it, did I forget something?

5) Bragging about your current PCs

No thanks. rolleyes.gif

While we're on the subject of composition software, have you tried LMMS? If so, what's your opinion on it? I've tried it and found it pretty unintuitive, but maybe that's just me not knowing what I'm doing.

I haven't. The opinions of it seem to be mixed. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be all that good. 

I suggest trying out the Acoustica Mixcraft 6 15 Day demo to both Swiss and you, Frogging. Or REAPER's unlimited demo or FL Studio's demo. Music is a lot more about opinion so yeaaah.

Delete · Lock 16 Apr 743-E.D. Missile iTunes problem: "We could not complete your iTunes store request. An unknown error occurred (-50)." and "We could not complete your request. The network connection timed out." For one, I am trying to sign into the itunes store, and I can't because of the above problems. My network is fine, and the firewall was turned on and off and vice versa. I can still access the store from my iPhone, but not from the actual iTunes store on this computer. any idea? Also I have been doing this for the past hour, and it was working fine yesterday.

Is the store slightly different on the PC version? Sounds like the PC iTunes store thingy is down for the moment. Perhaps it will work again soon.

Eh no point right now, my computer suffered a reboot loop, so I'm waiting for the backup to finish before I restore the computer. iTunes is the least of my concerns right now.

Responding to my problem from last page

Yep, you guys were right, the Internal HDD was dead. After going through 2-3 weeks of trying to fix my computer's HDD, replace it, etc, I finally just went to a professional and let them handle it.

I bought a new Internal HDD and gave it to them to replace it with the old one. I tried to see if they could back up all my data from the dead one but unfortunately, they couldn't. At least I got my computer up and working again, though I am a bit sad from losing over 3-4 years worth of data. Most of it can be replaced, but still.

Either way, just wanted let ya'll know my problems over and done with, and wanted to say thanks to those who responded to my problem.

@Goku I'm not good with computers and stuff, but I'd probably call up/go see a professional about it first rather then doing what some random guy on the internet told me to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Annoying minor thing, but all of my video thumbnails have completely vanished, so I only see the icons rather than a little picture. I've tried reg and log out; that doesn't work. I've tried checking advanced settings; no dice. I'm getting really annoyed by it all and I need help.

EDIT: RESOLVED, SORTA. Downloaded this to fix it: http://www.blogsdna.com/18828/fix-missing-video-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-explorer-with-media-preview.htm

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

Okay, I have no idea what is going on.

This laptop is less than a year old. But for some reason, every applicaton (Chrome, WMM, Pinnacle studio, Livestream, etc.) either takes forever to function, or will randomly drag serious ass. Sometimes even my cursor lags.

Is my HDD about to break? Do I have a virus that's shitting all over my processor? What the hell is going on?

It's an ACER Aspire btw.

Sounds like spyware of some sort; or possibly conflicting antivirus software.

Alright.

Chrome might be the problem. My computer runs ok when I exit out of Chrome.

I'm going to run a scan anyways.

Actually, I have another problem now, although not really too much of a problem

I have a USB to SATA cable that I used to transfer data off my Dad's old laptop HDD to his new laptop.

I want to use this cable to format my old PS3 HDD to use as an external drive.

For some reason, it'll install the drivers, but it won't read the drive.

Edited by Solkia

Do you have both cables plugged in? The SATA connection doesn't provide power.