Awoo.

The SSMB PC Troubleshooting and Discussion Thread

Velotix von Skruviktorrius

Can you throw it in your computer directly instead to see if that works?

Regarding your computer slowing down excessively, have you tried to uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome? If so, and if you are not running more than a single antivirus, you should run a HDD health check. HDDs are extremely fragile and may easily become damaged or fail completely, no matter how little the computer has been used. Click the following link to download the free edition of HD Tune and use the Error Scan tab to check for bad sectors. You may also want to check the Health tab (instantly generated report) to verify that no health issues exist on the drive. Disregard this part if you are running on an SSD.

http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

If there is as much as a single red spot, you should backup all accessible files to another location (not the same HDD) as soon as possible. If all is green, you might want to do a file system check. Open up an elevated command prompt by right-clicking it and specifically choosing run as administrator, and then type CHKDSK C: /F and then press Y, followed by enter, when prompted to do so. Restart your computer and let the scheduled file system check proceed.

When the computer is back on the desktop, if you are running Windows Vista, 7 or 8, open an elevated command prompt once again and type SFC /SCANNOW to verify/repair system files. If violations are detected, this command may have to be run several times, following a computer reboot each time.

For the Playstation HDD, have you tried looking for it in Disk Management? If Playstation is running a file system that Windows cannot read, you may not be able to detect it normally, however Disk Management should detect any physical drives that are healthy and connected to your computer, allowing you to go from there (initialize, clean, new volume, new partition, format etc). You can go there by right-clicking Computer, choosing Manage, having a link to Disk Management show up in the bottom left part of the window. If the HDD still does not show up, have you browsed the official Playstation sites for proper drivers?

Best of luck.

I learned from browsing a PS forums thread that PS3 drives are formatted so they can't be read on a PC. I may have to install linux to a flash drive and use that.

As for slowdown, Malwarebytes found no problems, and that HDD program Diz linked just gave me this:

tumblr_mmwwnsp9Oo1r990y8o1_500.png

So apparently my HDD is omnipotent.

But the slowdown stopped after I installed malware bytes and ran a scan, so I dunno.

Did the Playstation HDD not turn up in HD Tune (dropdown menu) or Disk Management at all? The two programs should normally be able to treat raw HDDs for what they are and give the opportunity to reformat them to Windows standards regardless of current format and file system, unless there are health or driver issues.

Linux might be the way to go, then. I was surprised at how smoothly the process went. I just used this tiny free program which downloaded the kind of Linux I chose (Ubuntu/Mint) and stored it on an empty USB drive. Then I restarted the computer and it started right up. Just be sure to use non-capital letters for your username, or you will crash the setup over and over again. I spent an entire day trying to figure that out. You may not be prompted for an username if you run it live though, as in, directly from the USB drive and not installing it. XD

The Health tab of HD Tune is sometimes blank, however for the free edition of HD Tune, the internal drive almost always states a report while externally connected drives always have a clear tab. Verify that the drop-down menu has the HDD selected that your system runs on and not an externally connected drive instead (I did this mistake a few times earlier and only found out afterwards, so I had to run the check twice). What really matters is the Error Scan tab, though. After clicking Start, it will start verifying your HDD capacity inside out. It will take some time (perhaps even 1-2 hours), but it is definitely worth it and important whenever you suspect that your HDD is the reason for slowing down your system. HDDs more often than not already give too little signs prior to death, crashing far beyond non-laboratory recovery, so it is better to be safe than sorry.

I am glad your system started running smoother somehow, hopefully it stays that way. Best of luck with your Playstation HDD.

So someone managed to convince me that it wouldn't be too difficult to build my own PC by following video walkthroughs and using sites to  put the parts together. The only problem is, I have no idea on how to begin this process. I am only at about a third of the way to my potential goal of buying the parts individually, but I'd like to learn some before I even attempt to start.

Would anyone have any pointers, "how-to's", or even recommended sites where you can pick out parts to build a hypothetical PC?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I reset my Windows 7 laptop earlier today. Everything is working great except that I have a bit of a screen crunch that needs fixing. I went to the "Screen Resolution" menu window to fix this and adjusted the resolution to 1024 x 768, even after that there still seems to be a bit of a screen crunch that I can't get over. I know this may sound like a stupid question that no doubt make me look like an absolute moron but Is there anyway I can make the screen bigger? Like maybe a new driver or something? Any help at all would be very much appreciated :)

Try resetting again and playing with the resolution more? I doubt the problem is with the driver. If worse comes to work I'm pretty sure you can return things to a factory reset.

Try resetting again and playing with the resolution more? I doubt the problem is with the driver. If worse comes to work I'm pretty sure you can return things to a factory reset.

I could try that. Oh no I doubt anything's wrong with the driver I have, I was just asking if I could download a new one to make the screen bigger. I did that the first time ><

By reset, do you mean default to factory settings?

If your screen is funny as a result of this reset, and no resolution feels like it used to be, you should try to download the chipset driver from your manufacturer's website. Install it, and after rebooting your computer, download and install the video driver and software. Go to their support section and look up your laptop model. You should also have to specify Windows 7 and the corresponding architecture (32/<x86>/64/<x64>).

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is good at printers, I need your help

I'm printing off a diagram for an arcade stick, but can't get it to print in the correct size, this is the diagram:

hybrid36_s.png

It's the one that says "This layout is somewhat of a mix between the standard player 1 and player 2 layouts. The curvature is not as defined."

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

Every time I've printed it out, it comes out too big and runs off the page. IT's supposed to fit on standard office paper.

Help?

EDIT: I'd also prefer to use GIMPshop

Edited by Solkia

Well, It was only a matter of time before I came back asking for help like the complete unaware loser I am. Anyway, I want to upgrade to a 3 monitor setup. 2 just isn't cutting it anymore! From what I know you need....SLI to do that? And that's only possible with some graphics cards, correct? I'm running on a GTX 650 TI, and I can get my hands on a GTX 260. I don't assume just putting the 260 into the other PCI Express socket will allow me to run the three monitors, will it? I'm very blurry on this whole thing, so any form of help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

SLI isn't needed, but it helps get rid of stress and lag.

I think all that's needed is the correct drivers

Alrighty thanks. So now after reading more and thanks to you I've come down to this.

Without SLI the secondary graphics card won't be doing a whole lot other than acting as a port for more monitors and perhaps even adding more stress to the PC. However, how do I know which is set as my primary graphics card? I'm currently running on a Asus P5B motherboard, with my 650 TI (Which I want as my primary) in the slot farthest to the right as seen in the diagram. I would hate to be putting that to waste and be using my crappy 260!

P.S. - Again, thanks for all the help! You really do simplify these things for me! I wasn't sure to put this in the new topic or not, but since I already started the conversation in this one I thought just to finish it here! Sorry if it's in the wrong topic.

They have to be the exact same card for SLI to work. I don't think it'll really matter which ports of which cards you use though.

Plus, SLI's cons outweigh the pros. It's mostly for PC enthusiasts with water cooling and money falling out of their ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZphJB5cUNKE

Paul explains it better.

Edited by Solkia

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've got all my parts picked out for a PC build except the case.

I can't find any case that has everything I want:

-Hotswap bay for 2.5" drives

-Carrying handle for good mobility

-Great airflow

-Removable motherboard tray

-doesn't look like shit

I was going to go with HAF XB until I learned the Hotswap bays were shit and can fry HDDs

I was also going to go with a Storm Stryker, but the Airflow looks practically non-existant

Everything else either looked like shit or was needlessly large and heavy.

Suggestions? I'm tired of looking.

Chrome won't let sound play through my USB headset, but does let sound play through speakers or headphones via a 3.5mm jack. How to solve this?

Is any other sound coming from your computer directed through your USB headset?

Assuming you are running Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, each audio device connected to (and activated) on your computer has a list of programs and features, and when a program belongs to an audio device, it usually only plays its audio output through there. It might sometimes happen that a program decides to start using speakers instead of USB audio output devices, having different programs play to various assigned audio devices.

You most likely tried this, but if not, you should unplug the USB device from the computer, hit restart, and once you are back on your desktop, plug the USB back in.

The next step, if restarting does not help, I think could be to temporarily disable your other audio devices. Go to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound (for category view), and then open the Sound menu. Make sure you are in the Playback tab. Right-click on an empty field below by the audio devices' background and make sure that "Show Disabled Devices" is checked. Then, right-click any enabled listed device which is not your USB audio output and click disable. The devices will be greyed out to show that they are not currently active. When you have done so, you should restart your computer once more, but leave the USB connected this time. Once back to the desktop, check if Chrome works through your USB device. If it does, activate the devices you disabled and verify once more.

There might also be third-party software installed on your computer which forces it to be this way. If no sound at all is coming through your USB device, be it from Chrome or elsewhere, let us know.

I hope this helps any!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the help, I'll try and see if that works.

Also a point of information, its just Chrome that's causing problems. Firefox and other browsers, play sound fine. Skype has no trouble using my headset's speakers and mic.

So I was browsing on my Windows 7 computer and then a power outage happened, cutting all power to it and turning off the system abruptly. Once the power came back on it looked like it was booting up, but in fact no matter how many times I try to start it, after I input my password, it never moves past the "Welcome" loading icon thing. I've literally left it there for more then half an hour and it has not moved. I tried booting up the computer in one of the safe modes (Safe Mode with networking) but that didn't work either. I really hope my PC didn't get permanently fucked by the power outage, can any help be offered?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Have you tried using system restore? My laptop got stuck in the Welcome screen too and a system restore fixed it.

Have you tried using system restore? My laptop got stuck in the Welcome screen too and a system restore fixed it.

Question: How do I get to System Restore if I can't even get it to log on? 

Edited by Chaos Warp

Got confused, I meant Last Known Good Configuration. Boot your PC and tap F8 until you get the Advanced Boot options, then choose Last Known Good Configuration and press Enter.

Got confused, I meant Last Known Good Configuration. Boot your PC and tap F8 until you get the Advanced Boot options, then choose Last Known Good Configuration and press Enter.

Alright, I'm going to try that now, I'm going to give it a good amount of time to boot just to give it the max benefit of the doubt, I'll report back in a bit.