Awoo.

The SSMB PC Troubleshooting and Discussion Thread

Velotix von Skruviktorrius

Okay, so my speakers tend to have this problem in that sometimes the little sound icon at the bottom right gets a red X slapped over it, and no sound comes out until I turn it back on. The thing is, this tends to happen at random, or is already off when I turn on my computer even though this kind of thing never happened before.

I've checked the drivers and they are all up to date, and I don't think it has anything to do with the cable since I have checked each port with the audio cables, and each of them suffer the same problem regardless. Any idea what is going on?

BTW, here are my specs computerwise:

Dell

Studio XPS 8100

Intel® Core i5 CPU 650 @3.20 GHz 3.20 GHz

64-bit Operating System.

Graphic card is Nvidia GeForce GT 630.

Are the speakers connected with regular audio jacks or USB plugs?

The first thing I would do, if possible, is to test the speakers on a different stationary/laptop computer, alternatively try a different pair of speakers or headphones with the same kind of plug on the current computer to see if problems still occur. That way, you can more easily tie the problem to a specific device.

One thing you could do on the current computer is to further investigate the device manager, which it sounds like you have been using. Expand the list for sound controllers and take note of the amount and names of sound device/codec entries. When the red cross appears and the sound stops working, verify if any sound device entries are added, lost or renamed.

It might be that either the computer's audio card or the speakers in general are failing, or in the event of USB, then the computer's motherboard or speakers' universal audio card. I think the best way to know where to start is trying the audio device on a different computer, and a different audio device on the current computer.

Are the speakers connected with regular audio jacks or USB plugs?

The first thing I would do, if possible, is to test the speakers on a different stationary/laptop computer, alternatively try a different pair of speakers or headphones with the same kind of plug on the current computer to see if problems still occur. That way, you can more easily tie the problem to a specific device.

One thing you could do on the current computer is to further investigate the device manager, which it sounds like you have been using. Expand the list for sound controllers and take note of the amount and names of sound device/codec entries. When the red cross appears and the sound stops working, verify if any sound device entries are added, lost or renamed.

It might be that either the computer's audio card or the speakers in general are failing, or in the event of USB, then the computer's motherboard or speakers' universal audio card. I think the best way to know where to start is trying the audio device on a different computer, and a different audio device on the current computer.

1) From what I can tell, both audio jack and USB port.

2) Don't have any other computers.

3)Alright, I'll test that out and see what happens next time it happens.

4)I hope not! I got my computer back only a few weeks ago, I don't wanna lose my speakers D:!

The speakers have both USB and audio jack connections? Is this to get the power from the USB, or do the speakers have a separate power source? If the speakers have a separate power source, I advise trying to use only audio jack or USB. Not sure why there are two in this case, perhaps the USB is for a fancy light or feature, but if the speakers have an integrated USB sound controller and you are using both connections, it might make a conflict. If the speakers do not have a separate power source and seem to be powered on from the USB connection, disregard this paragraph.

If the speakers seem to drain power from the computer through an USB connection, there might be a BIOS or Windows setting which regulates/unexpectedly cuts the power.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where I can find something legit to update my drivers, because apparently a LARGE number of them are severely outdated (like 7 years old outdated)? Assuming that stuff like DriverTuner is even legit...

Not sure if you have checked this out yet, but you should always go to your PC's support site first. While they may not always contain the newest drivers for your model, they often provide the most necessary updates, especially if the driver in question is hard to locate on the Web. Afterwards, for things like graphics cards, it will be of benefit to visit the device manufacturer's website directly and look up (each of) your device(s) there, as most manufacturers offer support online in form of driver downloads, but some drivers are specifically modified to fit your computer model and computer manufacturer, which is why your computer model's support site is commonly the best place for drivers. Depending on your computer, drivers are okay even if they are a couple of years old. Seven years old does not sound extremely critical for an old computer running Windows XP due to lack of support for older models, but newer models should probably have newer drivers somehow.

I would stay away from any software that claims to find drivers for your system (except those which are officially available/installed by your computer manufacturer). Even if they are legit, they can sometimes do more harm than good, and they can potentially bring in malware without you knowing it. Another problem that can arise is, since the driver seems hard or impossible to find, it may be for a reason, so a third-party driver search utility might find a driver which it finds suitable for your system, yet is more or less unpredictable and can cause varying results, thus you being better off with an outdated driver that you know at least works.

• Thumbs Up 1

OKAY, this is starting to get extremely annoying. Everytime my sound randomly cuts off, I check the playback devices and it acts like I have nothing installed DESPITE THE FACT that my playback devices ARE installed! I just can't figure out what the hell is causing this. I'm considering getting some tech support from Geeksquad.

So I'm having a lot of problems with my Windows 7 PC.

-Sometimes it turns on and doesn't even load whatsoever, sometimes it freezes on the "Windows did not shut down successfully" screen, and sometimes it doesn't load at all and makes this really loud continuous beep, and sometimes it turns on, but freezes or bluescreens after a while and has to be powered down. Point is, it's incredibly unstable and I have no idea how to fix it. I also can't play any games without it bluescreening within 5 to 10 minutes. I've tried system restore, and it says that there is no restore points. I have no idea how to solve this, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix my stability?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Sounds like a failed Harddrive.

I do remember hearing something about the C drive being corrupted when trying to system restore...............

Is there any way to save my data before it's too late?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Do you have an external drive? Just rip the files to that.

If not, use a file storage site and write down the urls of the download pages.

Edited by Goomy

Do you have an external drive? Just rip the files to that.

If not, use a file storage site and write down the urls of the download pages.

I'll try that if I can get the thing to turn on again. 

Would a file storage site cost money if I wanted to save like 600 gigs worth of Data? I would assume that it would cost a lot...............

Would a file storage site cost money if I wanted to save like 600 gigs worth of Data? I would assume that it would cost a lot...............

I think your problem wouldn't be the cost nearly as much as it would be the impracticality of uploading 600GB through the Internet. I recommend you purchase an external hard drive. Also, the more storage you need, the more it will cost whether you use an online service or an external hard drive; if you can cut 100GB out of that 600, you'll be able to get a smaller and less expensive drive smile.png

OKAY, this is starting to get extremely annoying. Everytime my sound randomly cuts off, I check the playback devices and it acts like I have nothing installed DESPITE THE FACT that my playback devices ARE installed! I just can't figure out what the hell is causing this. I'm considering getting some tech support from Geeksquad.

I've read your posts and this sounds like a problem similar to one I've had on a previous laptop. Go to start->run or press WindowsKey+R, and type "services.msc". A window will pop up with a list of services; in this list, find "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder", and restart it (there should be a blue link in the left sidebar for this). Accept any prompt that may appear. Repeat this whenever your audio stops working. This may fix your audio issue as it did mine. Good luck smile.png

Edited by Frogging101

I think your problem wouldn't be the cost nearly as much as it would be the impracticality of uploading 600GB through the Internet. I recommend you purchase an external hard drive. Also, the more storage you need, the more it will cost whether you use an online service or an external hard drive; if you can cut 100GB out of that 600, you'll be able to get a smaller and less expensive drive smile.png

Alright, I'll see if there's anything I don't care to part with.

Say my computer won't start up again, is there any way at all to get that data onto the external? I do have access to a second computer, could I USB hookup the HDD to that (and the External Drive) and transfer using that computer? Would that have the potential to fuck over that computer too?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Alright, I'll see if there's anything I don't care to part with.

Say my computer won't start up again, is there any way at all to get that data onto the external? I do have access to a second computer, could I USB hookup the HDD to that (and the External Drive) and transfer using that computer? Would that have the potential to fuck over that computer too?

You can't connect an internal HDD to a computer via USB without an enclosure (which is like the shell of an external hard drive that opens up USB and other interfaces). You can, however, remove the hard drive from the computer and install it inside another computer. If there's no space for a second hard drive, you can download and burn a Linux Live DVD (Any of these editions will do), hook up the external through USB and transfer files using the OS run from the DVD.

I've done this before with desktops, I don't know how it works with laptops though; they might use different connectors or something. If the computer works, you can skip removing the hard drive and simply boot a live DVD on that computer, and try copying whatever files you can. From what I've read, it sounds like the computer is fine but the hard drive has some issues that prevent an OS from reliably running from it, but it could be healthy enough to attempt a rescue of some files.

This is kind of a gloss-over of the process and concept, if there's stuff you don't understand then I can clarify on request smile.png

Edited by Frogging101

You can't connect an internal HDD to a computer via USB without an enclosure (which is like the shell of an external hard drive that opens up USB and other interfaces). You can, however, remove the hard drive from the computer and install it inside another computer. If there's no space for a second hard drive, you can download and burn a Linux Live CD (Any of these editions will do), hook up the external through USB and transfer files using the OS run from the CD.

I've done this before with desktops, I don't know how it works with laptops though; they might use different connectors or something. If the computer works, you can skip removing the hard drive and simply boot a live CD on that computer, and try copying whatever files you can. From what I've read, it sounds like the computer is fine but the hard drive has some issues that prevent an OS from reliably running from it, but it could be healthy enough to attempt a rescue of some files.

This is kind of a gloss-over of the process and concept, if there's stuff you don't understand then I can clarify on request smile.png

Okay. Would putting my HDD, which may be corrupted and on the verge of death, in my other computer for the sake of file transfer, fuck over the other computer?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Okay. Would putting my HDD, which may be corrupted and on the verge of death, in my other computer for the sake of file transfer, fuck over the other computer?

No. Hardware issues don't generally spread. I mean, a broken cooling system/CPU can melt a motherboard/socket, and a dying PSU could potentially damage things connected to it, but other than stuff like that I've never heard of a failed hard drive causing a problem in other parts of the computer.

Edited by Frogging101

Holy shit, what do you have that takes 600GB o.o?

Yeah, get an external drive then.

Holy shit, what do you have that takes 600GB o.o?

Yeah, get an external drive then.

I make videos, I have a bunch of archived footage on my computer.

Also games. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

So I'm having a lot of problems with my Windows 7 PC.

-Sometimes it turns on and doesn't even load whatsoever, sometimes it freezes on the "Windows did not shut down successfully" screen, and sometimes it doesn't load at all and makes this really loud continuous beep, and sometimes it turns on, but freezes or bluescreens after a while and has to be powered down. Point is, it's incredibly unstable and I have no idea how to fix it. I also can't play any games without it bluescreening within 5 to 10 minutes. I've tried system restore, and it says that there is no restore points. I have no idea how to solve this, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix my stability?

As mentioned, this is likely either HDD bad sectors, file system corruption or disk failure in general. Additionally, this could all be a problem with your RAM. The next time you see a bluescreen, note down the error message it gives. Sometimes it also gives you a paragraph of text to give you advice what to try. Use another computer to search up the Internet about your error code and you may be able to find out whether it is your HDD or RAM failing. The rest of this post will assume your HDD is damaged.

After you are content with a backup, you should execute a file system check with bad sector verification from the command prompt of the recovery console (preferably from bootable Windows 7 installation media), run an HDD analysis/sector reallocator from bootable media (for instance HDAT2, downloadable, use another computer to burn the disc) or both. This can sometimes slightly (or a lot) extend the lifetime of a harddrive by compensating for damage made so far, sometimes allowing you to use your computer a bit longer before having to replace the drive. If you are able to insert the failing HDD into another computer and boot the computer without problems, download the free edition of HD Tune to select and identify a failing HDD with the error scan feature. If your HDD is fine, your file system is likely corrupted, but that is commonly repaired with success with the use of in-built Windows tools.

500 - 2000 GB external HDDs are cheaper than ever, so you should check your local electronic store for offers. External HDDs are a great and important investment (especially the smaller ones without external power supplies, most commonly shipped with USB3). As already mentioned, storing 600 GB online might be impractical in many ways. Always ensure to have at least two separate copies of important data, as disks are full of mechanics, and failure will occur sooner or later.

If the HDD is the only damaged component of your laptop, while the HDD hosts your copy of Windows and easy means of accessing your precious files, your computer will still be able to boot from another lightweight operating system from other media (bootable DVDs like Windows 7 installation discs and bootable USB devices created with certain tools), but depending on your computer's configuration, you will have to enter the boot selection menu from a hotkey during start-up or enter BIOS in order to alter the boot device priority order if the HDD is set to boot before the DVD-/CD-rom drive.

The (bootable) Windows 7 installation discs, sometimes shipped with new PCs, feature a lightweight Windows operating system designed not only to install Windows 7, but also to troubleshoot an already-installed Windows 7, or perform basic tasks, like backing up files. By inserting an external HDD with the capacity of your needs, you can use the Windows 7 installation disc to open a command prompt and use a text command to copy your valuable folders, if not your entire user profile, over to the external HDD. You can also use this command prompt to do a file system repair, something which can sometimes slightly extend the lifetime of the HDD.

Be aware that while in most cases no physical damage should occur, a faulty HDD plugged into a different computer, either internally or by USB, has the potential to slow down or completely freeze the computer for the duration of being plugged in, so you should be prepared to be patient whenever recovering data from a failing HDD.

Unless there is a shortage problem with the HDD, the hardware of the other computer should be okay. Once again, what may happen is that the computer you are plugging it into may slow down a lot for the duration of the project, and it may even freeze or refuse to boot due to not being able to communicate with all its plugged in pheripherals (cough, failing HDD!) The computer might sometimes even try to boot from the failing HDD instead of its designated boot drive, so sometimes it might be necessary to bring up the boot selection menu to choose the right HDD during booting up.

I make videos, I have a bunch of archived footage on my computer.

Also games. 

Keep in mind that most games need to be re-installed to run on another computer or HDD either way, so unless you have important save files (you could try copying just the saves), games can be re-downloaded, whereas personal documents and files cannot. smile.png

This may be fairly obvious, but from here on, keep your laptop still on a table whenever you try to power it on. HDDs are fragile, and laptop HDD mechanics perform at the very least 5400 rotations per minute with a sharp needle right above the data, so always be careful with laptops, even moreso with laptops containing failing HDDs. Best of luck, and we are here for you if you need us!

• Thumbs Up 1

If I wanted to get an USB sound card, do I have to take the Computer specs into account? If so, how much? I mentioned before that I think my current audio card is busted, or at least on its last legs, but I don't know if I have the know-how to get a new one to put INSIDE my computer tower. Also, I've been waiting a response from here: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1113090-windows-audio-service-not-running-3.html for a bit now, so I need all the help I can get.

EDIT: Changed my mind, I think I would be better off getting a sound card that I put into the computer, since I just realized that my speakers and webcam both use USBs, so they wouldn't be compatible with a USB sound card. I'll show a link to my computer specs in a second.

http://forums.techguy.org/8810227-post19.html
http://forums.techguy.org/8814110-post36.html

Edited by Wonder ED

Okay, this is plain bizarre. I finally got the USB sound adapter in the mail, plugged it in... And not only does the problem persist, but now sound only seems to go through one speaker! The audio control for the speaker with all of the usb plugs still works, but no sound comes out of it. The hell is going on here?

• 2 months later...

Any reason why this thread has been unpinned?

Anyways, I have a problem.

I just got done installing a new Heatsink that didn't do a goddamn thing to lower temperatures

However that's not the problem, rather I'm wondering if it's related

My inteernet on that computer is being slloooooooooow

It's so slow that Speedtest.com won't load so I can't actually tell you how slow it is

It's so slow that when I tried redownloading Arkham Asylum to my new HDD, it only downloaded at a 107KB (or maybe it was bytes, I'm not sure) a second.

I'm using the Xigmatec Gaia, it's backplate has this foam pad that smacks right up against the motherboard and all the resistors in the vicinity.

I really don't want to take that fucking heatsink off, it was agonizing to install, it actually gave me a blister.

MY laptop's wirless is working the same as usual, so it's not the router.

Advice?

EDIT: FTR, it's only the internet that's the problem. Everything else is running normally.