Awoo.

The SSMB PC Troubleshooting and Discussion Thread

Velotix von Skruviktorrius

What happened: My screen randomly went black and went into powersave mode. Had to turn off and restart computer to undo it.

Question:

This doesn't seem to happen whenever i'm just browsing around on the net, but seems to happen whenever i start playing games. any ideas?

I have had the same symptoms before. Web browsing and desktop experience were fine, but after a few hours of graphic-intensive gameplay, my game and monitor would either freeze up for a bit while my sound looped (sometimes even recovered), merely enter power saving mode or a mix between all of the above. It turned out to be an issue with the graphics component inside the PC, I believe it was overheat. When playing games, especially those of modern and graphics intensive nature, the graphics component has to do a whole lot more and very easily heatens up. In combination with this, I may have had a lot of dust inside the PC cabinet, which can further increase temperatures, some say static, I have no idea. Later, this happened much more frequently, even on the desktop.

When I did an internal investigation (see what I did there?) I realized that the cooling fan physically placed on the graphics card was more or less entirely jammed at this point. Someone oiled it a little up for me somehow so that the fan would work, and it fixed my issue ... all the way until a sudden lightning made my PC blow up on the inside. XD

If it is not overheat, perhaps your graphics component is slowly failing?

Anyone know of a better card than NVIDIA Geforce GT 220?

Desktop computer? Wish I knew more about hardware, ahah. Velotix should be more than able to help you there!

Anyone know of a better card than NVIDIA Geforce GT 220?

If you are on budget, get a from $50 to $200 dollar video card like a GTX Nivdia series or an AMD radeon 6xxx or more (5xxx are good too)

but if you want to go beyond that, you can look up for really good ones like 7xxx Video cards :) or any powerful Nvidia cards

Based on my own limited knowledge of computers; this looks like a really good deal to me. I did a bit of research, and the processor and graphics card seem good, and 8GB of DDR3 RAM was pretty fantastic last I checked.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227392

Think I should go for it? I want a decent gaming rig, but I really don't have much cash.

New RAM will not require you to re-install programs, if that is what you were wondering about. If you buy more RAM than what you already had, your programs would probably be affected for better performance if anything. ^.^

This might not be the case with your laptop, but my laptop runs Optimus technology, which means it has a poor performance Intel HD graphics card for the desktop and mobility as well as a GeForce card for gaming purposes. I run many modern games perfectly, like Left 4 Dead, World of Warcraft and Diablo III. Sonic Generations still does not work for me as it refuses to support Optimus technology. It can only recognize my Intel card and thus only runs at a framerate of 5, with lagged controls and all that. I did once manage to trick the game so that it ran on my GeForce card, and it ran perfectly smooth. I had to connect to a secondary VGA monitor and extend the desktop or something. Again, that might not be the solution to the problem you are having, but just throwing it out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmspDlN3LI&feature=plcp here is a video of how it handels, however I think it got screwed up a bit

When starting Sonic Generations, you likely will have the choice to enter the Sonic Generations Configuration application. If so, head in there and check what is selected for the video card option. If AMD M880G is available, but not selected, do select it and save the configuration and try again.

If it does not say AMD M880G, then you may be having the same problem as my Optimus-based laptop.

When starting Sonic Generations, you likely will have the choice to enter the Sonic Generations Configuration application. If so, head in there and check what is selected for the video card option. If AMD M880G is available, but not selected, do select it and save the configuration and try again.

If it does not say AMD M880G, then you may be having the same problem as my Optimus-based laptop.

Ok it is indeed the optimus technology, but I am thinking about getting a new laptop eventually.

I'm having a similar issue with my AMD Crossfire-based laptop. While it can easily handle other 3D games just fine, with Sonic Generations, it occasionally gets rather sluggish, especially in levels like Chemical Plant Act 2.

I managed to trick the game into using the more powerful graphics card by setting up a virtual VGA monitor in Windows 7's desktop resolution options and finished the game, and it ran very smooth and fantastic, but now I don't seem to get it to work anymore. Some also say connecting the laptop to an external monitor or TV through HDMI might work.

Why on earth Steam, NVIDIA, SEGA or whoever responsible haven't fixed it yet is simply amazing and quite frustrating. You may be able to find some hints and tips for temporary work-arounds in this topic:

thanks that would help me save money biggrin.png Edited by Chaos the destroyer

I also forgot to mention, for the VGA trick to work, when I did it, I had to select expand desktop. However, if you try this, be sure to disconnect the virtual VGA function when not playing Sonic Generations, or else you might end up with a strange feature, like you can move your mouse far, far to the right out of the desktop, which can be annoying. ^^

I also forgot to mention, for the VGA trick to work, when I did it, I had to select expand desktop. However, if you try this, be sure to disconnect the virtual VGA function when not playing Sonic Generations, or else you might end up with a strange feature, like you can move your mouse far, far to the right out of the desktop, which can be annoying. ^^

OK looking through that topic (the previous one), I realized I do not think this game will run"

Why..ummm I took a picture and it's in jpeg format, but I cannot put it in this post, because it will not let me.

Oh yeah I only have 1 graphics card and to tell the truth my laptop is old anyways (I got it in like 2009 maybe 2008 (2007 could be possible)) oh and only 1 core.

this is the site I used: http://www.systemreq...cyri/intro.aspx

I decided to try again and got this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq3q8eC24iQ&feature=youtu.be

I've updated my drivers and will try overclocking the gpu. Also reread a post and I misread it, it is not the optimus technology it seriously could be that my laptop s too old, however the above video begs to differ. Updating my drivers gave me the optimus technology problem. ohmy.png

Edited by Chaos the destroyer

Ok I'm now on the search for a new laptop

things I need: 1. it needs to at least be able to run sonic generations at at least 30 fps

2. it needs to be able to hold up to 10,000 songs, hold emulators (fusion and snes 9x)

3. $300 limit (if possible)

Any ideas?

Also I will probably sell my HP G61 (the laptop I have now), apparently I can't change the graphics card, so I'm pretty much going to have to buy a new laptop.

Edited by Chaos the destroyer

http://www.pcworld.c...555540-pdt.html

BEEzg.png

Thinking off getting this laptop on the weekend and I'm hoping to do PC gaming on it BUT I just need to know if it's decent enough to run Generations (and other games) so any opinions on the card and what not ?

I am on a STRICT amount of money I can spend on a laptop I can't go any higher than £600.

l_13555540.jpg

An image of the Laptop I hope I can get (if it can run Generations that is)

*EDIT*

http://www.pcworld.c...119705-pdt.html

Okay so I just saw this on the telly being advertised and it seems slightly better ? I dunno but the graphic card seems higher up but I dunno can someone help ?

CvAJN.png

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

http://www.pcworld.c...555540-pdt.html

BEEzg.png

Thinking off getting this laptop on the weekend and I'm hoping to do PC gaming on it BUT I just need to know if it's decent enough to run Generations (and other games) so any opinions on the card and what not ?

I am on a STRICT amount of money I can spend on a laptop I can't go any higher than £600.

l_13555540.jpg

An image of the Laptop I hope I can get (if it can run Generations that is)

*EDIT*

http://www.pcworld.c...119705-pdt.html

Okay so I just saw this on the telly being advertised and it seems slightly better ? I dunno but the graphic card seems higher up but I dunno can someone help ?

CvAJN.png

An online review I found of the first computer you mentioned reported that it can run Generations "at 1024x768 to 1366x768 with medium graphics quality and look gorgeous, with no drops in frame rates." Looks like you'll be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

An online review I found of the first computer you mentioned reported that it can run Generations "at 1024x768 to 1366x768 with medium graphics quality and look gorgeous, with no drops in frame rates." Looks like you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I need a bit of help when it comes to buying a new video card. I'm not familiar with what is compatible with my system and want to upgrade to a video card for gaming. I was thinking of paying about $100 - $200, but if I need to pay more I will.

First off, here are my parts, if needed.

ANTEC 300 GAMING CASE WITH MULTIPLE COOLING FANS, FRONT USB AND A/V OUTPUTS

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6550 2.33GHZ BOTH CORES CLOCKED AT 2.72GHZ (STABLE)

4 GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR2 800MHZ CLOCKED AT 1558MHZ (STABLE)

MEMORY IS UPGRADEABLE TO 8 GB

ASUS P5B MOTHERBOARD

ASUS DRW-24B3LT DVD READ/WRITE WITH LIGHTSCRIBE

WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB 7200 RPM HARD DRIVE

550WATT CONTINUOUS PSU

INFINIEON FAST ETHERNET CARD

ASUS GEFORCE 1GB DDR3 HI-DEF GRAPHICS

HDMI CAPABLE W/VGA/DVI/HDMI INPUTS

So, what good performance video cards would anyone recommend for my budget and system?

Edited by KoalaPoop

Ok, I'm now starting to get annoyed. My computer no longer resets on me like crazy, but now I have a visual problem. I've been around Deviantart lately, and the site keeps breaking on me. I can't see avatars, or thumbnails in general. Sometimes I can't see the pieces and they turn into broken links. Sometimes the site will crash on me as well, and all I can see is a white background with random words plastered everywhere.

I say this because I haven't heard anything about anyone else having problems there.

Not only that, I can't watch certain video players now on certain sites.

I haven't googled this problem yet, because I'm not sure how to word it since it's not very general.

Ok, I'm now starting to get annoyed. My computer no longer resets on me like crazy, but now I have a visual problem. I've been around Deviantart lately, and the site keeps breaking on me. I can't see avatars, or thumbnails in general. Sometimes I can't see the pieces and they turn into broken links. Sometimes the site will crash on me as well, and all I can see is a white background with random words plastered everywhere.

I say this because I haven't heard anything about anyone else having problems there.

Not only that, I can't watch certain video players now on certain sites.

I haven't googled this problem yet, because I'm not sure how to word it since it's not very general.

Sounds like your internet is slow/cutting out, rather than a hardware problem

Sounds like your internet is slow/cutting out, rather than a hardware problem

So then what do I do? Do I just replace my modem?

Replace your modem, replace your router, call your ISP and enquire why your net is slow as shi, tell your brother to stop torrenting episodes of Breaking Bad all day, it could be any number of reasons from any number of sources.

This things can be kind of vague or complicated.

After my first PC which hit 6 years old last year, thanks to my new job I bought a new one and I'm extremely happy about it and would love to brag at least in this sphere biggrin.png

It cost around 640 Euro and included

Motherboard: Gigabyte (forgot model xD)

CPU: Intel i5 3,2 Ghz (4 cores)

VGA: GeForce GTX 560 PCIE 1024MB 256 bit

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333MHZ in dual channel mode

HDD DISKAS: 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA3

ODD: DVD-RW 22X Dual Layer

Case: Thelrmaltake

Well, at least for me it perfectly runs all the games I tested of 2011. smile.png

It's mid class gaming PC.

skytech_251843_277747.jpg

The only let down is that there is very noisy Palit VGA card. I suggest to buy one of Gigabyte as they are a lot quieter

Edited by Danielius

Okay guys, I need a favour. As to quote the wise Vizard, "Buy a Mac they said. That's all you need." I did just that and guess what? I hate myself for doing that. So now, I plan to sell/give to my Dad my Mac and buy myself a PC/Laptop and one that is amazing. As technology-wise, I am more of a software as compared to hardware guy, I need some help.

Around my place, the best is the Alienware Aurora gaming desktop and that costs about 1 296 GBP. Although it comes with a monitor, that is very expensive don't you think?

Then, I am thinking of another PC, the Alienware X51. It is 508 GBP and I think that is alright-ish. (I'd love to get something cheaper of course) I'd like to know if this can run Generations at 60fps 720p while not recording as that is the most demanding task I'll ever have to do on my computer. I'm also planning on getting a monitor under 150 GBP for this so do take that into consideration.

As I am a student, I think that laptops are a better choice for me anyway but yeah... I still want one that can run Gens at 60fps 720p when not recording. The best around my area is the Alienware M17x and it costs 1954 GBP. The Alienware M14x laptop is another one that I am considering and it costs 965 GBP. I again want to know if this one can do what I want it to.

So yeah, hope to get a reply soon and yeah, I don't mind getting a non-Alienware computer/laptop, don't want something too expensive ,want a Windows and I want it to run Gens in at least 60fps 720p when not recording (yeah, when recording that should mean 45fps 720p right?) and prefer a laptop. I'd love it if you can answer my questions or better yet recommend me a cheaper better laptop or PC (please make sure it exists in Singapore and such... Thanks a lot. :D

Edited by Faseeh