Awoo.

Johnny Test

Gaming Misfit

Ah, this show. I can't claim to hate it, since the few episodes I've seen weren't terrible or anything, but it holds a special place in my heart (?!) as one of the most unappealing-looking cartoons currently on air. Everything about its visual style screams cheap and derivative, and I'm hard-pressed to imagine even very young children not noticing. I vaguely recall channel surfing a few months ago, flipping back and forth between Johnny Test and Star Wars: The Clone Wars, my mind utterly boggled at the vast gulf in production values. It was like walking down the street and seeing a wooden shack next to a skyscraper.

I don't think I've seen any episodes from the early pre-Flash seasons (I'd heard about that happening to the show before coming into this thread, though I don't remember from where), so I'm kind of curious about how much better it actually looked then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5XqS-zjRo

This is also the original theme, which is much better.

Also, Clone Wars, IMO, isn't that great in the visuals department. The characters look like they're chiseled out of wood.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really see what merits the near-universal panning. I mean, I might watch it if there's nothing better on, but if being a cheap knockoff of Dexter's Lab is its worst offense, then I don't see what the big deal is. The animation's mediocre, but there are tons of shows with worse art styles. Plus, those secret agent guys are kind of funny. Besides, pointless yelling and spastic gestures goes as far back as Cow and Chicken.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't really see what merits the near-universal panning. I mean, I might watch it if there's nothing better on, but if being a cheap knockoff of Dexter's Lab is its worst offense, then I don't see what the big deal is. The animation's mediocre, but there are tons of shows with worse art styles. Plus, those secret agent guys are kind of funny. Besides, pointless yelling and spastic gestures goes as far back as Cow and Chicken.

Cow & Chicken was funny and didn't rip off jokes from other shows.
  • Thumbs Up 2

The comments for that Johnny Test video on YouTube must be noted that they are all in CAPS Lock.

This show must be stopped, the influence it has on our future generation is damaging.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, Clone Wars, IMO, isn't that great in the visuals department. The characters look like they're chiseled out of wood.

To me, Clone Wars looks like a 3D video game cinematic. What's scary is that most modern-day vidya cinematics look BETTER than Clone Wars does.

I was over my long-time friend's house a couple years ago and I noticed her kids watching this. It's not an impressive cartoon at all. I find it terrible too. I didn't find it humorous at all. Maybe the writers were high while writing episodes. Yeah, it's terrible.

I used to like the show back when it was in Kids WB every Saturday Morning. Kind of annoying, but I thought it was enjoyable.

Then a few years later its in CN and... meh.

Maybe its because I'm older that I don't really like it? It has an interesting idea, I can see why younger kids would like it, its just very... stupid. Especially if you see it often x_x

I dont like this show.

Johny Bravo is much better. Why modern cartoons cant be like 90's and early 2000 ones?

I dont like this show.

Johny Bravo is much better. Why modern cartoons cant be like 90's and early 2000 ones?

I said it once and I'll say it again. Nostalgia. You only think that because you grew up with those shows and they hold a special place in your heart. However, once the next generation is our age, they'll be saying the same thing but with this show.

Don't get me wrong, I hate this show. Its mostly because it doesn't grab my attention and is quite a bore fest.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

I find it to be pretty okay-worthy at times. It has some moments that honestly leaves me chuckling, but for the most part, the show's okay and just that.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Nostalgia. You only think that because you grew up with those shows and they hold a special place in your heart. However, once the next generation is our age, they'll be saying the same thing but with this show.

Don't get me wrong, I hate this show. Its mostly because it doesn't grab my attention and is quite a bore fest.

I don't know, I'd say that's only partially true. I mean, I love Dexter's Lab and PPG, but even I'll admit that they went to the dogs after their respective half-way points (although PPG fared much better, whereas Dexter just became outright bad). I noticed that a lot of the Cartoon Network stuff seemed to take the plunge around the same time, maybe 8-9 years ago.

I don't know, I'd say that's only partially true. I mean, I love Dexter's Lab and PPG, but even I'll admit that they went to the dogs after their respective half-way points (although PPG fared much better, whereas Dexter just became outright bad). I noticed that a lot of the Cartoon Network stuff seemed to take the plunge around the same time, maybe 8-9 years ago.

I don't remember seeing any of the newer Dexter episodes around the time, I can only remember most of them from the Late 1990's or very early 2000's.

One thing I must take note of in most modern cartoons: Why is everything so noisy and spastic?

If you recall cartoons from the 90s you weren't constantly bombarded by loud repeating noises and a soundtrack that competed for attention with the sound effects. Loud sound effects were used for emphasis to action and mainly ( I use mainly because sometimes it broke this rule) as a point to hone in a gag to the viewer. Soundtracks were more subtle for common events and god forbid that cartoons actually had a brief period of silence at one time.

And now there has been a surplus of movement or on the extreme other side, lack there of save for mouth and eyes blinking. Everything has to be fast and quick paced, with intermediate cuts from one person to another person to something random - it is almost like the show was born with ADD and it wants to spread its magic attention span shortening sugar dust to every underage viewer out there.

http://www.khou.com/...-129661343.html

Are animation and creative writing courses throwing out the book on pacing now? What happened? I know I am not the only one to notice this downward trend in comedy.

Edited by Kintobor

Most people agree that Cartoon Network's downward spiral started with the Bostom Bomb Scare which caused the then-head of CN (Jim Samples) to resign, and was replaced by Stuart Snyder, who *to simply put it* had other plans for the company.

Fun fact: Did you know that CN Real's failure was to the surprise of nobody except the network higher-ups?

Edited by Ananze
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most people agree that Cartoon Network's downward spiral started with the Bostom Bomb Scare which caused the then-head of CN (Jim Samples) to resign, and was replaced by Stuart Snyder, who *to simply put it* had other plans for the company.

Fun fact: Did you know that CN Real's failure was to the surprise of nobody except the network higher-ups?

Just watched a couple of episodes. I don't care for it, but it does have a certain (highly childish) appeal to it. In some ways, I say it's not bad, but it's not something I would want to watch for any extended length of time.

Just done a quick bit of research on it, and it says that bomb scare was in 2007? Cartoon Network went to the dogs a good few years before that, in my opinion. Dexter had already gone bad as early as 2002-2003 or so.

Nah, 2005 was a really good year for the network, some people even go as far as calling it the last "golden age" because they had so many good shows making new episodes on the channel at once, animes included.

• 2 years later...

Johnny Test got cancelled. Not showing up on Teletoon's returning 2014-2015 tv show lineup. Usually means cancellation for shows.

Well that was anti-climatic.

Watch it be picked up by Cartoon Network.

Johnny Test got cancelled. Not showing up on Teletoon's returning 2014-2015 tv show lineup. Usually means cancellation for shows.

Well that was anti-climatic.

Watch it be picked up by Cartoon Network.

I thought it was already on CN. Oh well, at least this piece of shit finally died.

Since Johnny Test has supposedly been cancelled now, can I ask why this cartoon was hated so much? I only watched one episode years ago (around 2007 I think) and it was okay, probably because I watched an early episode since I heard those were the best. But then I noticed all this hatred towards it around 2010-ish. o_o

95474-Finally-its-been-84-years-Rose-0RH

I've always wondered how this show was renewed for so many seasons. Kids must love it or something, because it wasn't replaced with any other Flash abomination for nearly ten years. Holy hell

I like this show.....

Is it really that bad to you guys?
Can I ask why?

Well to put it simply

• Thumbs Up 1