Awoo.

Johnny Test

Gaming Misfit

Holy shit that's annoying! Was it like that in every single episode? D: Surely there must be more reasons why it sucks though. I heard the titular character isn't particularly likeable, but what about Bloo from Foster's Home or Jake Long from American Dragon? Those guys are assholes and try hard cool guys yet everyone loves them!

95474-Finally-its-been-84-years-Rose-0RH

I've always wondered how this show was renewed for so many seasons. Kids must love it or something, because it wasn't replaced with any other Flash abomination for nearly ten years. Holy hell

Well to put it simply

I was laughing the whole Time XD

Because I know heard this so many times but it never bothered me. So its bad because of many whip sound effect? Okay.

Holy shit that's annoying! Was it like that in every single episode? D: Surely there must be more reasons why it sucks though. I heard the titular character isn't particularly likeable, but what about Bloo from Foster's Home or Jake Long from American Dragon? Those guys are assholes and try hard cool guys yet everyone loves them!

Actually, I've heard that people started disliking them too in the later seasons of their respective shows.

Yes. In every single episode is an average of 100+ whiplashes. I think an easier question would be what is redeemable about Johnny Test. The animation is painfully cheap, the writing is phoned in with plot points repeated every 10 episodes, and characters that make you want to rip your ears and eyes out. Yes, Bloo and Jake Long are assholes, now imagine the WHOLE cast being Bloo with all positive and tolerable traits sucked out of him along with his soul. That's Johnny Test.

I only know so much about it because my brother is always watching Johnny Test. Hopefully it'll stop being syndicated soon, one can only take so many "happy guitar riff" and "whiplash crack"

FYI, season 1 of Johnny Test was animated using traditional cel animation much as alot of Cartoon Network shows. It was season 2 on when they decided "fuck it" and started shitting out episodes at mach speed.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dunno about the latter show, but Bloo was liked early on because even though he had those traits, they were at least balanced out by his good traits...at least until he got flanderized and turned into a big blue dick.

• Thumbs Up 1

The first two (or three, depending on what I've heard) seasons when they were with KidsWB  were actually decently written, had traditional animation (first two seasons anyway), and had a opening theme that was miles better than the one they replaced it with. Then Cookie Jar/TeleToon took over, changed it Flash animation, and then everything went to hell. Calling it animated junk food would be an insult to animated junk food.

Count me as one who sure as hell won't be missing it.

Thanks, Hyrule Waffle. Now I understand why this show was hated by so many!

Actually, I've heard that people started disliking them too in the later seasons of their respective shows.

Really? Huh, that's new to me. O.O Mostly I heard complaints about the later seasons of Foster's featuring too many unnecessary characters like Cheese and Eurotrish, not much was said about Bloo who I absolutely despised at the time. As for Jake Long: American Dragon, I remember complaints about the ugly change in animation style (which I 100% agree with, eugh) but not so much the characters.

Guess I didn't linger the fanbases enough for both shows!

The thing about Bloo and Jake is that, generally speaking, they mean well. Especially Jake, later on anyway. (Also, as far as I know, most fans liked him more in Season 2, which was also the last season, so.) Johnny...not so much, sure he saves the day but most of the time you get the feeling it's just because he's "supposed" to. That is, the writers make him play hero, but it doesn't come across as genuine most of the time.

The main issue many people have with this show is there's rarely time to breath, if that makes sense. It's just constant dialogue and sound effects and jokes and frankly, it's kind of exhausting to watch. Of course, some might not mind that, but for me, Johnny Test is just kind of unbearable.

For what it's worth, I've caught a few of the Season 1 episodes recently and they actually seem alright, and it certainly had potential, but then they dropped the ball. Eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since Johnny Test has supposedly been cancelled now, can I ask why this cartoon was hated so much?

Johnny Test began life as a dopey knock-off of Dexter's Lab. The genders were flipped or whatever, and Dee Dee was the star, but that much was obvious to begin with. That was kind of annoying, but not really anything hate-worthy. And then the series's budget plunged straight off a cliff.

I'm not even sure to begin with explaining just how awful Johnny Test was. The whip-crack thing was irritating, sure, but it's really only the tip of the ice-burg. Let's begin, I suppose, with discussing the medium of choice: animation. The animation quality is so awful that it defies common sense and decency. People sometimes joke around about how poorly the old Hanna-Barbera stuff was animated, but for heaven's sake, those guys are Disney compared to Test. Movement was as cheap and minimal as a bad anime Newgrounds piece. The whole show, in fact, was animated with Flash, and the character designs suffered immensely in the transition. What you ended up with was a show that looked horrible in motion and looked horrible when it wasn't.

The writing is just as bad, if not worse. Everyone is a raving idiot or jerkwad in Test, because that's what good comedies do, right? Episode plots and lines sound copy-pasted from a TV Trope description, characters do nothing of consequence outside of being idiots or jerks, and the one likable character is given so much crap that you feel more angry or depressed than joyous at the show's attempt at humor. Basically, imagine Family Guy or Ultimate Spider-Man with the one or two good traits those shows had ripped from them. And then imagine it on an endless loop. That's Johnny Test.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't recall the jake hate but the bloo hate I remember how he became the mascot for CN is a mystery

Let me answer this for you simply: Everyone, screams for no good reason.

EVERY EPISODE OF THIS SHOW DISSOLVES INTO A BUNCH OF SCREAMING AND PANICKING ABOUT PETTY CRAP, AND THE FORMULA JUST REPEATS, AND REPEATS!

There is no substance, or humor behind it. The humor is that the characters are screaming, and that is supposed to be funny, but the animation doesn't support it seeing as the show was animated with the budget for a packet of gum! And then there are these moments when the characters think that they are so witty and talk deadpan, and they come from a mile away. It's the repetition of this formula over, and over, and over. 

The main character looks like he would be fun, but he's so 90s bad boy (i.e I'm gonna litter, and not pick it up.) that he just comes off as a little douchebag. His dog is the source of most of the screaming in this show, and the only joke he has is that he is both the straight man, and a paranoid lunatic, but he delivers it all so halfassed that, he may as well not have a character.

I could go on and on, but I'd break my keyboard.

I don't even understand how this show lasted as long as it did. I'd only seen bits and pieces of it when it was on CN, and had thought that that was only syndication. Nope. Though, this is CN we're talking about, and given the unceremonious cancellations of good shows in their line-up over the years and a lot of the shit they greenlit, they were never pillars of good taste to begin with. While I don't have an opinion on specific aspects of the show, cripes, I do remember it was obnoxious and ridiculously cheap looking. I remember my parents saw it on the schedule once thinking it was "Johnny Quest." Boy, were they wrong.

I also seem to remember there was some fallout between the co-creators, as one wasn't credited or some such. Supposedly he had the idea back in the 90's and the other guy stole it or something like that. Though, why you'd want credit for this shit is beyond me. EDIT: Oh, here's that. Man, Scott Fellows sounds like a real dick if he went and sold it behind Straiton's back as he did.

Well, if CN's policy of not re-running anything they've thrown into the dumpster holds true even for awful shows (and I haven't seen the fruits of their shitty "CN Real" initiative air anywhere on the network at all lately), it won't be on the airwaves much longer. Guess Adventure Time gets another timeslot it doesn't need, but I'm not even going to go into my whole rant about how Cartoon Network's scheduling and treatment of certain shows pisses me off.

Edited by Zaysho

Since Johnny Test has supposedly been cancelled now, can I ask why this cartoon was hated so much? I only watched one episode years ago (around 2007 I think) and it was okay, probably because I watched an early episode since I heard those were the best. But then I noticed all this hatred towards it around 2010-ish. o_o

There is a few reason in specific from which I can gather from my own experience from watching the show.

The animation is terrible.

It's very evident that this show doesn't have much of a budget and nothing shows it better than the animation itself.

Most, if not all of the show's characters more very stiffly and unconvincingly,  it's hard to pay attention to the episode because it happens so often. 

It really can give flash animation a reputation it doesn't deserve, it's possible to make good looking animation out of flash and it's quite a shame to see it being used here so lazily.

Johnny is an unlikeable jerk.

The main character is incredibly hard to root for, he constantly causes the plots out of his own selfishness, constantly blackmails anyone he can to get what he wants and forgets any lesson he learns at the end of episode by the start of the next one, he's not enduring in the  slightest.

The other characters aren't much better, the only one I can think of that I kinda like is Dukey, otherwise I think they are as annoying as Johnny or forgettable.

Overexposure.

Johnny Test didn't start out all too bad, it could have been an average but forgotten cartoon but the networks airing it did not let that happen.

It was given most of the timeslots there was opposed to using the variety of other shows the network had to even it out, seriously, Adult Swim aside, near every time I tuned in to Cartoon Network 2 years ago it was either on or was coming up next.

A thing to note is that Johnny Test  was actually originally intended to end in 2008, but then it got renewed and then it got renewed again and then again and then again, all this while other shows that would love the support it was getting got canceled partly through getting next to no support at all, it was noticeable when something like this was given all of this while a good deal of shows the networks aired that many considered far superior were treated terribly.

So, that's why I don't like it.

I am not sad at all to see it gone.

You know I always imagine the whip cracking was unintentionally recorded from a studio where animators and writers were whipped and tortured by their supervisors into producing this garbage. Kinda like this around the one-minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM

You know it's bad when this 2-minute clip is more entertaining and better written than the entire Johnny Test series IMO.  I agree with the reasons about how horrid this show is. And I'm too glad that this is cancelled and that it'll fade from CN/TV altogether much sooner than later. 

I haven't seen Johnny Test since 2009, but I soon stopped watching it after seeing about season 1 and 2 (I really don't know why I did). However, after reading your posts about why it's really bad made me remember why I stopped watching it.

Guys, Test has been on long before CN. it started airing September 17, 2005 thats 8 years 9 months 14 days ago.

Basically, if you remember this TV Block:

kids__wb_logo_by_jared33-d7d9xwa.png

Thats how long it has been, it should've died ages ago.

Let us give an honorable salute to this marvel of modern animation.

Nah, but seriously, I'm quite glad to see it gone.  Though, at the same time, now Total Drama Island is back and I just... I don't like it. 8c

EDIT - Probably should have read before I posted that.  Sorry to whomever posted it before me lol.   Didn't mean to be redundant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why's Jhonny Test bad?  Take a drink every time someone says a sentence slowly and then yells the last word while ISO standard cartoon posing to pretend like something is actually happening.  Finish whatever's in your hand (WHATEVER is in your hand) when you realize they've ripped off a plot wholesale from Dexter's Lab. I'd say drink when you spot flash chin, but that means "Drink when anyone talks", so just do that.  It's simpler.  

Dunno about the latter show, but Bloo was liked early on because even though he had those traits, they were at least balanced out by his good traits...at least until he got flanderized and turned into a big blue dick.

Images.  I'd actually say it's more like Blue didn't have a character until they made him insufferable.  Yeah, I don't like "Foster's".  

I don't mind Johnny Test and I still Watch this shpw. That's my kind of wacky cartoons I have been grown up with beside Megan Mccarthy's Pony episodes.

Well firstly for Bloo, while he can be a asshole sometimes, It's more pranking and not knowing what's best and even at that sometimes what's he did is justified like in the episode where Mr.Herriman starting throwing crazy rule after crazy rule at Bloo until the point where Bloo was too terrifed to even walk in fear that he'd get more punishments thrown at him for no reason. Even then, when Bloo goes too far, there's always something bad that happens to Bloo like a punishment. Even then, Bloo has had plenty of times where the things he does is because A.he didn't know any better, B.He did it because someone else convinced him to do it, or C.he was driven to do it.

For a example of each, take the episode Bloooooo... where Bloo unknowingly makes everyone think he is a ghost because he is sick from the cold and barely had the energy to do anything, leading to Wilt and the others attacking him. For B.There's Duchess of Wails where Duchness moves into the family next door to Mac leading to Mac's family being unable to get anything done so he's threatened with Mac being forced to move although Terrence did this to be able to turn Foster's against Mac and Bloo because he lied telling the two that Mac's mother would be moving to a different country when really she would be moving to a different house while he told everyone at Foster's that they were bringing Duchess back more or less just to annoy everyone.

For C.Again is the episodes where Mr.Herriman goes too far with rules and those kinds of things leading to Bloo wanting payback or just wanting to fix a mistake before being caught all because he was far too pressured by Herriman. That's not to say that Bloo does go too far at times and does deserve to be punished.

As for Jake Long, exactly how is he a asshole? Sure maybe at the start of the series he was a bit but after the show got into swing, he learned to stop that. Even by the start of Season 2, the only real moments this even happens is that episode where he and Spud doubt Trixie can stop the cheerleaders because she's a tomboy and even then at the end of the episode, they both learn their lesson when Trixie ends up brainwashed like the other cheerleaders and Jake is turned to stone. Even at that point, Jake did learn to mature because of all he had been through like Rose being forced to leave him multiple times, and even having to give Rose up just so Rose can be saved. 

As for Johnny, anytime he gets in trouble or something screws up, It's all most always his fault and he still acts like a asshole about, even being lazy, just to do simple tasks resulting in him screwing something up by getting his sisters' help and I can give loads of examples. There's the episode where Johnny wants his dad replaced with a robot just because he can't go to a hockey game, there's another where he had the best day with Sissy and changes time all because of the simple fact his father made the relationship sound like Johnny would be obsessed with Sissy when really that's unlikely to have happened, there was the other episode where he cloned himself just to get out of chores and so many other episodes where constantly screws up all because he couldn't be bothered to do something and he never learns and so just keeps on being a asshole.