Awoo.

Knuckles' Chaotix Discussion

Segakid

Not one of my favorites, though I don't hate it either. Never liked the rubber band mechanics, and end game was terrible, especially given the "good ending" is nonexistent. Still though it deserves a rerelease since it's like the only classic Sonic game that has not seen a any kind of rerelease since it first came out.

I recently played Chaotix for the first time and I must say I was pleasantly surprised after hearing so much about it's purported "Badness".

It has an extremely Sonic CD-esque vibe to it. The locations are fantastical and the level design is more complex than the Mega Drive Classics, much like CD. What increases this perception is the various times of day which is quite reminiscent of Sonic CD's different time frames for each zone. And this adds onto the atmospheres of each zone. Even the bosses seem to revolve around waiting for an opening than hitting Eggman willy-nilly, much like CD's bosses.

I mean, play Marina Madness during the morning. It's the ultimate in relaxation-inducing Sonic gameplay. Or Botanic Base at night. One of it's acts at night has a tall fountain that gushes water in different colors. The soundtrack is also classic. "Surging Power" has got to be amongst the best of Sonic's invincibility themes.

The level layouts could've done with being more inspired than repeatedly recycling the vertical half-pipes (As I like to call 'em) and Metal Sonic Kai was...anticlimatic to say the least but Chaotix was still highly entertaining. Couldn't quite believe just how hard Heavy and Bomb sucked until I played as them first-hand.

Heh, thanks Sean. My bad. happy.gif;

Could anyone please help me out by telling me the best way to emulate this game? I've failed at every attempt so far due to the bios installation issue. I could never get it to work. It would be great if I could satisfy this nostalgic craving as I'm forced to...

*sigh*

Evacuate this stupid hurricane. sleep.gif

Edited by crush40rocks

You even struggled with the guide at Knuckleschaotix.info?

I really appreciate the lead, but I'm having trouble finding a guide on this site. ^^; I've gone to every place on the site that seems like it may have one.

EDIT: Ah! Nevermind. I found a guide related to that site through a google search. Thanks!

Edited by crush40rocks

Ah, the memories are flooding back to me now.

Once I knew what I was doing with setting up the bios files, I felt pretty dumb. For the first time ever, I gave this game a whirl on multiplayer. I went in expecting a somewhat frustrating co-op experience like that of 'Splosion Man, but I was wrong. This game actually works quite well in multiplayer, with little to no verbal communication necessary to play effectively together. It all just kind of comes together by intuition of both players and it honestly felt like a faster, more steady pace of gameplay than the single player mode did, where you had to very often stop and charge your ring tension before you take off. In multiplayer, each player just kind of plays off each other's physics, and as I said before, this is much easier than I expected.

I love this game! :D

I played it years ago. I didn't hate it but I didn't think it was anywhere close to the classic Sonic games either. It's too bad it never made it into a collection. I would have picked it up if only for the really cool final boss.

Not exactly. To quote;

That- sounds more like a spiritual successor sharing some gameplay aspects, not Knuckles Chaotix 2 (as T-Bird put in the article title...).

This game was...ok i guess...The ring bond thing is kinda creative i guess...It was ok...Oh and it has Metal Sonic.That elevates it for me tongue.png

*sigh* My most favorite Classic Era game. The game mechanics, the atmosphere, everything. I absolutely loved playing it as a kid, but my 32X is packed on a shelf, and I haven't played it since I was a kid. I really miss playing it. :(

*sigh* My most favorite Classic Era game. The game mechanics, the atmosphere, everything. I absolutely loved playing it as a kid, but my 32X is packed on a shelf, and I haven't played it since I was a kid. I really miss playing it. sad.png

Mine won't play Knuckles Chaotix anymore... I even bought another cartridge, and yet still it won't play that specific game. It will play the other two 32X games I have though. >=|

• 1 year later...

I apologise for bumping this thread. It's been like nearly 18 months since the last comment.

Now, I have played pretty much every 1990's 2d Sonic game under the sun with the exception of Knuckles Chaotix. I live in hope that this game which is even more obscure than Sonic CD was (until recently), will be ported to PSN and Xbla at some point in the near future. Okay there might be a very slim chance of that ever happening, but we will see.

Anyway, I decided to try emulating Knuckles Chaotix using (Kega) Fusion on my laptop. I tried it about two hours ago and it worked. I'm finally playing Knuckles Chaotix for the first time. Yayyyyy!

About fucking time you played me Nightwing!

250px-Knuckles_the_Echidna_picture.gif 

Well, I've played through the first act of Botanic Base, Amazing Arena and Techno Tower. Gotta say the graphics look pretty nice, and the music whilst not in Sonic CD's class is nice to listen to. 

Botanic_base.pngAmazing_arena.png

I am still getting use to the 'rubber band' controls-using the AI second player to propel you all over the place. It will take some perfecting. So far it seems quite an interesting game. I even managed to get the first and easiest chaos ring.........at my second attempt (I know I suck).    

So I will post my thoughts on this game once I have played it more.

Has anyone else played Knuckles Chaotix recently? What do you think of it?

Edited by Nightwing

Honestly, after seeing Clement's LP, it looks boring to me. Not sure why people are begging for a rerelease.

Honestly, after seeing Clement's LP, it looks boring to me. Not sure why people are begging for a rerelease.

Yeah I've been watching quite a few playthroughs. Each zone has five acts, and a lot of the acts seem to re-use the same gimmicks and levels design over and over again. So I can appreciate that the game might get boring after a while.

Currently playing as Sonic Mighty the Armadillo with Knuckles as my sidekick. The dream team. You know it would be cool playing as these two as co-op partners in Sonic 4 Ep3....

Edited by Nightwing

Well, this game is my third-favourite Sonic game. I just like the way it mixes up the classic formula and provides something that feels really different despite having similar mechanics.

My usual combo for playing is Charmy as lead and Mighty as partner.

...Not sure if anyone will believe me when I say that though.

• Thumbs Up 2

I should make an LP of this game, I feel like I'm the only one who plays it as much as I do.

One more time for any new players - the spin dash is not as important as the rubber band, or throwing! Learn to throw well, the game will reward you. Learn to use the reverse rubber band snap.

After these things it's fun, provided you can handle five acts per level. Game feels unfinished but as with many of Sonic's games and as a classic game I'm willing to accept it is an unpolished gem.

Knuckles Chaotix is a pretty good game in my opinion, but definitely a bit below the rest of the classic Sonic games.  Really though, a bit more polish and the game could have been pretty golden.  I really dig the special stages in it, and some of the worlds and bosses are pretty cool.  Also, the game has a few excellent music tracks.

I would gladly download it if SEGA ever decides to re-release it, which the way they are going, it seems inevitable.  Maybe it'll even get the Sonic CD treatment and Taxman can tweak the shit out of it, make it the gem it should have always been.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles Chaotix it a bit of a bore to me.

I do like the rubber band controls though. If you get used to it it is fun to mess around with it.

But the level design is really terrible. There is nearly no sense of direction.

In levels like Botanic Base and Amazing Arena you're just searching in which direction you need to walk.

And in Techno Tower you only have to throw your partner upward and you win.

and if you pick Charmy as you're main character and heavy as your partner, you don't have to worry about anything.

The levels also tend to drag on and on.

Even then there are 5 acts for each zone witch is IMO way to much

And the bosses are really easy, just throw your partner into the weak spot and that's it.

Edited by Animatedmusic

Well I have completed Knuckles Chaotix. Got the bad ending. I managed to get 3 chaos rings on my first playthrough.

I like the game. Once you get used to the rubber band physics, the game is much more fun. The bosses are pretty easy for the most part. The final boss fight against Metal Sonic Kay is the easiest final boss fight ever! 

180px-MSKaiFight.png

The only thing that I am finding frustrating is those fucking special stages. They can kiss my shiny metal ass! Seriously, death pits in a special stage. God I hate them! These are the hardest special stages I have ever played. I love the design and the 3d graphics, but the difficulty is through the roof and I'm only talking about special stages 3&4. I haven't even managed to collect the 4th chaos ring yet.

I am now on my second playthrough. I got the first two chaos rings at my first attempt, and it took me SEVEN attempts to get the third chaos ring. Then I just missed out on getting the fourth chaos ring due to a death pit.

Clements video shows the third special stage at 4.30. It is so much harder than it looks.

Oh and the bad ending in this game is really badass. You beat the game and the Metal Sonic Kai is re-built, and you see a picture of a city flooded with lava/on fire!

Edited by Nightwing

Oddly enough they're my favourite special stages out of the entire series. They're definitely hard, though, but to their credit as long as you keep an eye on what's coming all the pits do get telegraphed. It's when they expect you to use the wall rebound to catch blue sphere and do precision platforming on floating blocks that it really gets ridiculous, but even those parts are fun for me today. Haven't forgotten how much I struggled to beat them all the first time, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seconded on having my favorite special stage in the series.

Also bonus wireframe stages? Who likes that wireframe special stage! I love it.

I've never been able to beat the second wireframe special stage. If you beat all six wireframe stages do special rings stop appearing at the end of levels or do they just loop?