Awoo.

How to implement Genesis style gameplay in 3d?

Chaos Warp

Let's clear up the misconception: What Shadic is suggesting is NOT that Sonic gets a speedbreak/chaos control power up. He is suggesting he gets a boost powerup that is more of a side ability like the speed break was. The reason he said you would have to be careful with it is that turning would be incredibly difficult at that speed, and the levles would not be made like race tracks to accomodate it.

If the power up did in fact just place you in a latter part of the level that would be terrible. But that was not his idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

It has everything to do with what we're talking about. If you don't care about control while moving fast, why bother with any gameplay? Sonic moves fast for the majority of the game.

The reason he said you would have to be careful with it is that turning would be incredibly difficult at that speed,

Difference being is that one you have to go through to beat the game, the other you don't have to use it at all.

Still shit either way. And if you choose not to use it, you go through a boring area that takes too long.

"I don't have an argument so I'm going to invoke subjectivity as a smokescreen and run away". We've spent half the topic arguing this, you can't just wave the opinion card to get out of it.

Edited by Shadic93

You're the one who started this argument to begin with, and you're criticizing my opinion?

...what's why they're called ideas? Seriously you're just rage-rambling now and it doesn't actually make any sense.

I don't care what you like or don't like about my idea, I already explained myself on the subject, if you still don't agree with me then there's nothing else to talk about, because at this point we're just rambling, we both have visions of what make a good Sonic game and both conflict with the other. Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1

As fun as your little... whatever you are doing is, I would say that the best compromise would be a combination of what we want and what we have. There would be areas that are played in regular 3D with momentum platforming, but once in a while we switch to 'high speed mode.' A good example would be the whale chase from Sonic adventure, except... you know... without the dash pads... or the not being able to do anything. Basicaly it would look like:

Sonic adventure, Sonic adventure, Sonic adventure, SONIC UNLEASHED! WOOO! Sonic adventure, Sonic aventure, OMG UNLEASHED! WOO! Fin.

Edited by Chaos Walker

Once in a while we switch to 'high speed mode.'

How about a momentum-attained "high speed mode"? When you hit a certain speed you would maintain that minimum speed (you could still go faster with added momentum) and you would only slow down when you stopped holding the stick forward.

I haven't really been reading the debacle between you and Diogenes. Regardless, I don't see why it's necessary in lieu of, well, the normal accelerative properties Sonic's always been subjected to.

I haven't really been reading the debacle between you and Diogenes. Regardless, I don't see why it's necessary in lieu of, well, the normal accelerative properties Sonic's always been subjected to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they're referring to making the way Sonic gaining speed akin to how its done in Adv. 2 & 3.

It is, frankly impossible to translate Classic 2D Sonic into 3D. Well, at least it is impossible to translate it 100%, probably even 90%.

Things will just not work in 3D, as well as they did in 2D, due to an extra dimension being added.

Bouncing for one would be completely impossible, especially at high speeds, which most will undoubtedly be trying to reach. That is why the Homing attack exists, to make attacking easier and less cumbersome. Yes you could argue all day about how its removing control from you and mapping it to a button, but I don't really give a shit. It is possible to do it, but it just too clunky for a game focused around movement, so simplifying that is only going to be a good thing. Attacking enemies was never the point of the games, and it doesn't really take away from any platforming and other movement, which is the real issue at hand.

Also, rolling will have to be fiddled with, so that it doesn't render Sonic a completely uncontrollable cannonball at the mercy of the terrain. Or for the physics purists, there should at least be a way to roll-cancel, so you can regain control, once you have taken out any enemies or gain sufficient speed from a down hill slope.

Other then that we have more or less everything we need in terms of controls and moveset. Boost can be removed and relegated to a powerup, which allows you to run fast and be invincible. It would of course be the rarest powerup; rarer than regular invincibility and rare still than regular speed shoes.

The only thing beyond that really is level design. Controls are getting really good now, they can only continue to refine and improve them. The level design is where most work is needed.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, rolling will have to be fiddled with, so that it doesn't render Sonic a completely uncontrollable cannonball at the mercy of the terrain. Or for the physics purists, there should at least be a way to roll-cancel, so you can regain control, once you have taken out any enemies or gain sufficient speed from a down hill slope.

Yes, but with your top speed increased(when you hit a certain speed assisted by momentum) to the speed you needed to activate it, dropping back down when you stop holding forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Isn't that idea just basic acceleration?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Again, I don't understand. Why not just make the ultimate top speed the ultimate top speed instead of compartmentalizing it like that?