Awoo.

Thank You, SEGA...

Doctor MK

sonic-unleashed-box.jpg

This is a bit of an obscure topic but one I feel I wanted to make. I'm sure it's probably something that was discussed to kingdom come at the time of announcement, but I wasn't here then and it's still a valid point. :P

When Sonic Unleashed's debut trailer was first leaked with its jaw-dropping graphics, I'll admit I was a little worried. Not for the game itself, but for the fact that it seemed it would be a 360/PS3 only release. Being a lifelong Sonic fan and the owner of a Wii only, it disheartened me that I potentially would not be able to play the most promising 3D Sonic game yet.

When rumours of the game getting a Wii release started appearing, I was naturally excited. And when SEGA confirmed it would be coming to the Wii, albeit in a different form, I was so pleased. It seemed at the time that Sonic's "main" series was going to be 360/PS3 exclusive (after Sonic Next Gen) and that the Wii would only be for the Storybook games, but fortunately that was false.

The game was released in November 2008. I bought it. I loved it.

Sure, it isn't as robust as it's next-gen counterpart and there's tons of other things people complained about (i.e. unbalanced Sonic/Werehog ratio, "empty" level design), but I - and I'm sure many others, including quite a few critics so it seems - enjoyed it.

This topic isn't for discussing Sonic Unwiished and its pros and cons - it's a way of me saying "thank you" to SEGA for risking a Wii release and, in my opinion, pulling it off pretty well. I don't know how miffed I would've been if Sonic Unleashed turned out to be an amazing game (again, that's not for debate here!) and I never got the chance to play it.

As far as I'm aware, Sonic Unwiished sold pretty well... I don't know the exact figures but I think they were acceptable.

So, to ensure this topic DOES have some sort of a discussion point, do you think SEGA will continue to release the "main" series of games on multiple platforms, i.e. 360/PS3/Wii? Assuming that the next "main" Sonic game is released in this generation of consoles, of course?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ovarloard

• JezMM

• Doctor MK

• Sean

Top Posters In This Topic

For one, I sure hope they continue to release the main games on the Wii (When it released, I only had a Wii, though I now have a 360) It's a profitable market, so why wouldn't they?

It wasn't a risk, they made the Wii version to make up for the inevitable losses of the HD version, or so the rumor goes.

Edited by Chaotic Blu

I don't believe that rumor at all. Why make the 360/PS3 version at all if you know it's going to fail and that you would need a Wii version to pick up the slack? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway yeah, I was glad to see SU come to Wii. I still think the PS360 version is better but SU Wii still beats SATSR or the horrid SBK hands down in my book.

I wish Sega would focus on selling for Nintendo platforms because

1) I've been a nintendo man ever since the game boy, and I ain't getting out of my fanbase.

2) SA2B only came out on the gamecube and I want another one of those.

3) Pads the chances of having more Mario/Sonic crossevers, which are awesome.

The thing about the Wii version that bugs me is how stripped-down it is. Not just the graphics, not just the amount of junk in the levels, but they removed two whole continents. Mazuri was nothing more than a boss and Empire City doesn't exist at all. I understand that the Wii is weaker than the other two, that it can't handle as much, but if this is the kind of strategy they've got for multiplatform Sonic games, we of the Wii are going to get screwed over, and hard.

I don't think there's a need to thank SEGA- they didn't do it to make you happy. They did it to make money, which makes sense because Sonic's bigger fanbase(children) own a Wii.

From the perspective of a business, where the goal is to make money, putting it on the Wii was a smart move, but as it stands the Wii version is just the cash-in game to ride the hype of the original. And I hate things like that, so I would have rather seen them put the Wii version's budget towards making the 360/PS3 version even better.

I don't believe that rumor at all. Why make the 360/PS3 version at all if you know it's going to fail and that you would need a Wii version to pick up the slack? It doesn't make any sense to me.

You'd make it for the fans, knowing that since most of Sonic's core audience is on the Wii, a version on the 360/PS3 would not sell that well, but they want to please the fans with the "real" game. The Wii version was practically guaranteed to sell well, so they can raise the original budget of the HD game higher, giving the game more resources, making it "better" (knowing that the Wii version will make up for all losses and then some), so that the "hardcore" (by which i mean the non-little kids) fans can get the best game they can make. In the end, it would be to please their fans, makes sense to me.

So, Venom, they (if it's true) did just that, but used the profits (which are much greater than the game's budget) instead of the budget.

Edited by Chaotic Blu

Well, Heroes and Shadow got cross-platform releases, so why not?
Back then, all the current-gen systems actually had comparable processor speeds, though. I'd imagine that being a tad of a problem nowadays, now that so many people play either a new console with almost last-gen graphical capability (that's a technicality, mind you - clever art direction can still trump it), or a console that IS in fact a last-gen system.

That said, the only thing I didn't really like about the cross-platforming (pun not intended) is that it conflicted me over which version I should get. Ordinarily this wouldn't be too much of an issue if it was, say, between just the 360 and PS3, but right from the start it was obvious they'd have to make two completely different games entirely (well, either that or a stripped-down port, but I trusted Sonic Team better than that, oddly enough) to release multiplatform on systems with different graphical capabilities and even control schemes to an extent. Given that all the attention was on the HD version too, it became kinda difficult to find any real coverage of the low-def versions, which was kinda confusing.

Other than that, 'twas still a good idea. I know people who were actually disappointed that Sonic '06 never got any actual Ninty exposure (even though they were getting a completely new game in close proximity to its release), so if it helps Sonic keep fans, hey, go for it. No real harm done, right?

Sure, it isn't as robust as it's next-gen counterpart and there's tons of other things people complained about (i.e. unbalanced Sonic/Werehog ratio, "empty" level design), but I - and I'm sure many others, including quite a few critics so it seems - enjoyed it.

The critics definitely seemed to enjoy it more than its HD counterpart(s).

While it is true that the Wii version is lacking in terms of content, it is still fun, and that's what counts. Some more content would have been nice, but it's great all the same.

If I didn't like the game, then I could use the "stripped-down" argument to help my case, but I'm fine with the way it is.

I got the Wii version first because I heard it was better...and I didn't like it that much. Then I got the 360 version, and it was worlds better.

I know people who were actually disappointed that Sonic '06 never got any actual Ninty exposure...

I'm one of those people - and I'm not just disappointed because they didn't release it, period, but there's also that rumor that the plot was going to connect to Sonic Rush, and when the Wii version was cancelled, they removed those elements from the prototype story - causing the biggest plothole in Sonic history. Yeah, it's just a rumor, and I don't know if it actually holds any credibility, but I'm upset regardless.

I think Sonic Team should continue to release their games on all three consoles, and with as few modifications as possible. It might not be possible to replicate the graphics exactly on the Wii, but the actual gameplay and the like could probably be replicated fairly easily. I'd rather play a game with sub-par graphics than a game with sub-par graphics and horrendously simplified features. Of course, now that I have a 360, that isn't an issue, but I know not everyone out there does.

Now that I think about it, wasn't there another rumor about Nintendo's next system? Perhaps they could release two models, one for more "casual" gamers looking for convenience, and a more powerful one that games like Sonic Unleashed "Full" could be ported to. Not really sure how it would come off, but this idea just came to me.

The two console idea would give Nintendo a bunch of work to do, what with maintaining two systems and having to put out quality games for each. It'd be nice if they could do it, but it's not plausible.

If it were, I'm sure all the console manufacturers would do the same, not just Nintendo.

Edited by OvErLoRd

Yeah, perhaps. I did say I wasn't sure how it would come off. :P

Although perhaps they could split their team in two or something...well, I don't know. Whatever happens with Sonic and the Wii, we'll see.

Now that I think about it, wasn't there another rumor about Nintendo's next system? Perhaps they could release two models, one for more "casual" gamers looking for convenience, and a more powerful one that games like Sonic Unleashed "Full" could be ported to. Not really sure how it would come off, but this idea just came to me.
...ooooooor they could just start implementing adjustable difficulty levels into their games again. <_<

I'm all for making games for multiple systems as long, as they don't have to resort to over simplifying one version. Or if they have a console and handheld version of the same game. Those games could walk through an airport with a ticking time bomb and no one would notice.

It's clear the Wii version was an afterthought. In future I'd hope that they make both at the same time, so it won't be as much of a hassle to simply copy and paste level designs between two graphics engines (I know it's more complicated than that, but you know what I mean).

Because while Unleashed Wii was good, it was a joke of a Sonic game in comparison to the 360 version. =\

For one, I sure hope they continue to release the main games on the Wii (When it released, I only had a Wii, though I now have a 360) It's a profitable market, so why wouldn't they?

It wasn't a risk, they made the Wii version to make up for the inevitable losses of the HD version, or so the rumor goes.

That was made up by that /v/ tard "Wentos". I can tell you for certain that he made it all up.

I don't mind the existence of the Wii version, but it certainly brings my blood to a boil to see it overshadow the HD version in reviews. I'd call it a nice gesture from Sega to release a Wii version but it just infuriates me at the same time.

the Wii version is junk made to make money off mindless Sonic/Nintendo fans who buy anything with Sonic or Nintendo on it. It's missing more then 3 freaking levels.

I'm thankful the Wii version was made, really, don't really mind the less levels, considering I had more fun with the Wii version than the 360 version.

If anyone is curious about the level differences in the two versions, I counted them up for an article I wrote for a site recently:

360:

21 Day stages, of which 9 are mandatory, and 2 have a particular mission applied to them whether you like it or not.

12 Night stages, of which 8 are mandatory, and 0 have a particular mission applied to them.

1 Final stage, which is of course, mandatory.

Wii:

11* Day stages, of which 8 are mandatory, and the rest have a particular mission applied to them.

25 Night stages, of which all are mandatory.

That's a pretty depressing comparison of content. =( I'd say the only bonuses of the Wii version is that the medal collecting is optional (I didn't mind it on 360, but I know I'm an exception) and a lot of unique missions. The puzzle rooms of the Gaia Gates are nice, and an okay trade-off for explorable hub worlds on 360.

However, 360 gets plenty of bonus town missions, the exorcism side-quest, other hub-based side-quests, hot dog challenges, and of course, downloadable extra levels (which thus far has brought the stage total up to (not including hard/minorly rearranged versions of existing levels), 29 Day stages and 17 Night stages.

*Here I'm of course including levels such as the sandy canyon in Shamar, mountain path in Chun-Nan, and the underground ruins in Adabat, which are used for a single mission but cannot be found anywhere in the Reach The Goal Ring stage. Thus, I think they count as extra stages. However I haven't finished the Wii version 100% so there might be more on other countries, I dunno.

Edited by JezMM

The Wii version of Unleashed, was always going to be a dubbed down version compared to the 360/PS3 versions, that should have been obvious from the start. I do give 'credit' to Sega for at least trying to make a more ''unique'' Unleashed variant from the ground up then a (what most people feared at the time) a shoddy port.

It also didn't include a lot of the junk present in the 360/PS3 version of the game.

Edited by BlackHeroX

It also didn't include a lot of the junk present in the 360/PS3 version of the game.

One man's junk is another man's treasure... *cuddles his hub worlds and difficult platforming*

For people who don´t have PS3 or XBOX 360 and have a Wii or PS2..of course we have to thank Sega. I don´t mind not having the xbox/360 version because i think this game isn´t so great , but for some people the ps2/wii version will be great for them, despite being a "beta" version...but oh well, it has more werehog levels >3. I also hate that obligatory medal collection to get into some places like xbox 360/ps3.

Edited by Blue Kirby

It's easier to just say that the two games aren't alike whatsoever except for the storyline and level themes.

Oh and the Wii version doesn't have anything going for it. Nothing at all.

Edited by Sailor Jakey