Awoo.

Skullgirls! 2ND Encore! Latest: Robo Fortune and a freaking train stage you heathens

LunarEdge

Recently fighting games have been receiving more and more popularity. In the past 2 years we have had quite a few fighters released.

Skullgirls_logo.jpg
Skullgirls, being made by American indie developers, published by Autumn games and distributed by Konami, is a download-only titles that will be available only for the PSN and XBLA (no retail release). If I remember correctly, the game will release with an all female cast of 8 characters, with DLC characters planned for the down the road (including male characters). Being into fighter, I am very excited for this title.

Also, Skullgirls will be implementing certain systems to fix the issues with other fighting games, such as infinite detection and high/low unblockable prevention. At the same time, they will also be borrowing systems from other series such as SF and KOF, which consist of Ratio battles, assists, and etc.

Gameplay:

I'm personally looking forward to trying Peacock, seeing how she's all cartoony and has a number of cartoon/video game references (Cable from MvC2 color, Sonic run, etc.)

Well, with that said... DISCUSS! Edited by LunarEdge

I looked up the website to confirm my suspicions, and I'm not really surprised by what I found.

A girl's measurements are not "essential data". Stop being creepy, Japan America.

I'm not really into fighters so that's about all I have to say about this game.

Oh man... I was JUST about to make a topic for this game.

I've been looking at this title for months now and the more I see, the more I like.

The work these guys are putting into this game is amazing. From what I've seen, It works similar to Marvel vs. Capcom 2, but with a more eager balancing push. They're approaching this game as gamers, making the game they would want to play. And I wish them luck on the final product... whenever that will be... They're still using an unfinished menu in the demos and they're still keeping their mouths shut on a massive amount of details.

One of my favorite tidbits about this title is that the characters and environments are all hand-drawn. The smallest amount of animation for the fighter is for Cerebella, with 1300 frames. Wow... De-di-ca-tion! And I've loving the artstyle, may I say.

Also, the balancing push. Skullgirls will feature a system, if it holds up well, prevents infinites. What happens is that if the game think it's in a loop, it'll give the victim the option to break out of it. Now, it's not assertive at first, but it gradually becomes more strict the more infinites are used.

They're pushing for online AND spectator mode. Plus they're trying to add a feature that is like combining replay mode with the shadow mode from Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Nothing is confirmed, but if they can do this, you can watch a replay of your fights and jump in at anytime to right your mistakes.

There also other things like being more mindful with your assists. Their invincibility frames are very small in this game.

But anyway, here some more footage.

Being a cartoon buff, Peacock is definitely my favorite character atm. I love the 1940's cartoon/mental patient personality she has. (It's almost like she's the Deadpool of the group.) Plus, all of her moves is either a reference or a classic cartoon gag. For example, she has a move where she can randomly drop objects on you... one of them is a steamroller... (You know what to do here.) Also, her bombs companions are called "Little Boys and the Fatman". Don't know what I mean by it, look it up. You'll see that the classic cartoon gig isn't just in the design.

Here's her trailer.

I'm considering Cerebella and Parasol. Others, I'll have to wait and see.

Edited by YoshiUnity vs. Heart Man

@YoshiUnity: It's like you took everything I wanted to say and made a post about it lol. Seriously I wanted to post Peacock's trailer but there's a limit to one media video or something of the sort for the starting post of a topic.

Also, another character was revealed today via Skullgirls FB page:

298829_197905906943578_132276963506473_520561_4821897_n.jpg

Bio:

A feline feral, Nadia Fortune is the last surviving member of the Fishbone Gang, a notorious band of otherwise Dagonian thieves. Their last mission ended in tragedy: a failed attempt to steal the mysterious Life Gem from Lorenzo Medici resulted in their grisly deaths. Before meeting her own doom, Ms. Fortune swallowed the Life Gem and managed to digest it. The Gem’s power permeated her entire body, making it truly undying… even after being cut into several pieces.

Now hiding in the shadows of Little Innsmouth, Ms. Fortune plots to avenge her fallen comrades

Edited by LunarEdge

This game looks absolutely nuts. And I love games that are nuts, ergo I love this.

Edited by Axl

I heard about this game from a friend about a month ago. I really love the art direction and look forward to see upcoming characters. I'm not sure if the current selection really has a character to fit my style. ^^;

I've actually been following news on this game since it was in its planning stages. I really like the art style this game has, it's sort of a cross between a Gainax anime and cartoony style. I can see that Ms. Fortune's design has changed from a redhead with dark clothing to having a shorter hairstyle with blue clothing.

I'm gonna keep my eye on news for this game. I like fighters, so this has me a bit interested...

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

Absoloutely ADORE the art style. Wish I was into fighters. Why do fighters and RPGs get all the cool character designs. 8C

Oh, and shmups. XBLA just loves to entice me in with boxart of cute ladies just to reveal you only see them on the score screen.

Edited by JezMM

The art style is my biggest problem with the game. I don't like any of the character designs outside of Peacock because hers is the only one that actually works well with it most of the time.

As a fighting game it's great tho'. I just really need to see more characters. I know the game is supposed to have a roster on the smaller side from the get go, but holy shit, this game is set to come out at the end of this year, we know of at least 8 main characters and we haven't even seen the fifth one in-game yet three months before release.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people are actually complaining about the GGPO netcode due to experience with 3SO and are asking the development team to choose an alternative way of coding. Mike Zaimont, one of those working on Skullgirls, answers their call with this

Let’s talk about GGPO.

GGPO is a networking library written by Tony Cannon (of shoryuken.com and Evo fame), and it’s what Skullgirls uses for online play. I personally believe it is the future of playing fighting games online, but some players have been complaining about the online experience in the recently released Street Fighter 3: Third Strike Online Edition, which also uses GGPO. A few people have even been disappointed enough to ask me if we would change Skullgirlsto use something else. It seems to me that people are blaming GGPO for these problems, when in fact they have not been properly taught how to get the most out of it.

What is this “lag?” Lag is any extra delay in character response beyond what is normal for the game.

“Input lag” in game design terms refers to any amount of time that elapses between a player’s input and the corresponding character response. All games have some, and in fact the smallest achievable amount of lag is 3 frames at 60 FPS (an explanation of which is beyond the scope of this post). However, playing a game online adds extra delay because information must be exchanged across the internet, and this is what players commonly refer to as “lag.”Internet delay is never zero, even if you play someone in the next room. Let’s say Alex plays Bob in the latest version of Fightman Game: INJURY MAXIMUM, and information takes 80 milliseconds (a reasonably average amount of time) to get from Alex’s console to Bob’s. This means the game must deal with 5 frames of internet delay – if Bob presses a button on frame 10, Alex’s console won’t know about that button press until frame 15.Traditional networking code handles this situation by also delaying Alex’s input by 5 frames on his own console. So if Alex presses a button on frame 10, the game will save it and use it on frame 15, simultaneously with Bob’s arriving input from frame 10. Unfortunately for Alex, that means his own character responds sluggishly to his commands, and thus the game feels “laggy.”Any extra input lag means bad news for playing fighting games – it may mean you can’t react to visual cues, can’t tech throws properly, or can’t perform difficult combos… and in the worst case it can change gameplay properties like making some supers unblockable after the super-flash. If you practice online, you can certainly get used to playing with lag, but this isn’t ideal, either – this practice won’t apply as well to in-person matches or tournaments because the extra lag isn’t there offline. All of your combo timing will be off, reacting to things will seem harder, and certain tricks or tactics you have learned simply won’t work anymore because the other player isn’t able to properly react in time.

But if lag is always there online, how can GGPO “get rid of lag?”

It can’t actually “get rid of lag,” but it can allow the game to proceed as if there wasn’t any. With GGPO, in our example above Alex can choose how many frames the game delays his input on his own console, meaning he can choose to have the game react instantly. Thus, for his own character he experiences zero input lag. This means all his combos, links, throw techs and other timing-sensitive things will feel exactly the same as if Alex were playing offline, making his experience infinitely more useful.

But remember, the internet delay is still there. So if Alex chooses zero input lag and presses a button on frame 10, the game will react instantly… but it has to guess what Bob was doing. Alex may see his attack hit on frame 12, but the game doesn’t yet know if Bob was blocking. So when Bob’s frame 12 input arrives on frame 17, the game may possibly have to travel back in time to revise itself and instead show that Bob had blocked the attack on frame 12, thus on frame 17 he’s now in block stun rather than hitstun. This “rollback” shows up as visual choppiness, which gets worse with weaker connections since the game has to revise itself more frequently.

So it all depends on what you want out of the game – GGPO allows users to choose to experience anything between zero and eight frames of input lag. Those who want the true tournament experience can choose zero lag and get training that will apply equally well offline, but they will have to get used to dealing with rollbacks. Alternatively, players who want smoother visuals but can tolerate a bit of input lag can choose 2 to 4 frames of lag, which is generally acceptable for most people and will have fewer visual oddities on average connections. And casual players can choose 5 to 8 frames of lag, which means the game will look super smooth but gameplay will lag quite a bit.

Almost all of these complaints are likely due to a lack of proper in-game information explaining what this choice means to the player – without adequate explanation, a lot of people will choose zero just because it sounds better when it might not actually be a good fit for their priorities or connection. We’re now looking at taking steps to address this in Skullgirls by communicating how this setting actually works, as well as possibly offering additional options to help them better customize the online experience to their tastes.

To summarize - GGPO allows players to choose between lag-free gameplay with occasionally choppy visuals depending on the connection, or smoother visuals with more gameplay lag. Traditional networking code doesn’t offer any choice except smooth visuals with laggier gameplay depending on the connection, and while this looks nice, the option to have lag-free gameplay is a much more instructive online experience if players choose to use it.

What will you choose with Skullgirls?

TL;DR GGPO is fine for fighting games and is the better alternative XD

Another versus video released recently. This one featuring a ratio of 3 vs 2. Also featuring some improvements/voices:

Tonight we're debuting Parasoul's voice and background NPCs. You may also notice a number of improvements to the ASG Lab stage, too.

Edited by LunarEdge

In the latest video I posted, I just realized that in the beginning when Peacock shoots her gun she says "Garbage Day." lol, day 1 buy haha

• Thumbs Up 1

Some people are actually complaining about the GGPO netcode due to experience with 3SO and are asking the development team to choose an alternative way of coding. Mike Zaimont, one of those working on Skullgirls, answers their call with this

TL;DR GGPO is fine for fighting games and is the better alternative XD

GGPO is only the better alternative because a dev team there size doesn't have the budget and time to build a proper netcode from scratch. It's a justified use but that still doesn't mean that it's quality isn't disputable beyond being "functional". There's only been three commercial games released using that code, and the latest one, SFIII, which made a big fuss about using it, was undeniably atrocious.

I respect Mike Z but I'll believe what he says when I see it.

Frankly I'm flabbergasted that ArcSys haven't outsourced their netcode. BlazBlue and Arcana Heart 3 have the best netcodes of any fighting game out there.

It's shitty as in Sf3 but i don't really get why.

All the times I played third strike over it with the pc client it was smooth as butter. more or less. Console implementation is terrible by comparison. I think it's the matchmaking.

In the latest video I posted, I just realized that in the beginning when Peacock shoots her gun she says "Garbage Day." lol, day 1 buy haha

To Filia - "Maybe she was born that way!"

Gun 2 - "Reach for the sky!"

Cannon - "Yo ho ho!"

Cannon 2 - "Avast ye, matey!"

Ditto. Peacock alone is a reference/gag gold mine.

I love that her gun shoot out random objects instead of just bullets. Sometimes a bullet bill comes out, maybe a Blodia punch and etc. She even has the dagger eyes from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". Lovin' it.

Anyway, here's come color palette goodies! With a little "guess who" mixed in!

http://skullgirls.com/2011/09/a-rather-refined-palette/

6164893666_d5b6ca83f8.jpg

I see Kneesocks(Parasol) and Miku.(Filia) But I'm completely stumped with who Cerebellum is supposed to be. As for Peacock, I want to say Donald Duck, but there's no yellow at all.

Peacock alt is Cirno.

Cirno-9.jpg

Oh... Heh, wasn't familiar with that one at all.

Thanks, dude!

To Filia - "Maybe she was born that way!"

Gun 2 - "Reach for the sky!"

Cannon - "Yo ho ho!"

Cannon 2 - "Avast ye, matey!"

Ditto. Peacock alone is a reference/gag gold mine.

I love that her gun shoot out random objects instead of just bullets. Sometimes a bullet bill comes out, maybe a Blodia punch and etc. She even has the dagger eyes from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". Lovin' it.

Anyway, here's come color palette goodies! With a little "guess who" mixed in!

http://skullgirls.co...efined-palette/

6164893666_d5b6ca83f8.jpg

I see Kneesocks(Parasol) and Miku.(Filia) But I'm completely stumped with who Cerebellum is supposed to be. As for Peacock, I want to say Donald Duck, but there's no yellow at all.

Cerebella is Potemkin from Guilty Gear.

Filia is the Vocaloid Miku Hatsune.

Parasol is Kneesocks from Panty and Stocking.

Peacock is Cirno from Touhou.

There are a bunch of other reference colors that have been seen on various live streams of the game also like Peacock's Grinch reference color, Parasol's Luka Megurine reference color (another Vocaloid) among other things.

Edited by Chooch

This video shows of the Grinch reference color for Peacock that I was talking about and also another one of Peacock's reference colors that is inspired by Cable's appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Edited by Chooch