Awoo.

Skullgirls! 2ND Encore! Latest: Robo Fortune and a freaking train stage you heathens

LunarEdge

Yeah, I downloaded pdf with the moveset. I bumped the difficulty down to Easy so I at least have a chance to try to learn the moves as I play. If you don't know your character's ranged attacks and specials this game is way more frustrating than it needs to be.

Incidentally, love your sig, Carbo. Peacock's story is definitely the best so far. Funny, as expected, but also incredibly dark and quite heart-warming at the end.

You can't tech throws while crouching. Expect me and a lot of other people to mash on throws.

I don't mind that, it's just grabs in general however, crouching or not. That's a nice little tip to know though.

This game seriously has no movelist? What the eff? I can't even judge it on how it plays unless how the combos feel, which I gotta download a Pdf? the fuck?

Yeah, I'm not really liking that. I suck pretty bad at fighting games, so if it isn't even going to bother to tell me the moves my character has, I'll be waiting on buying this.

I'm gonna play the demo a bit and see how it feels, otherwise I'm gonna pass up on this and just stick with Blazblue.

if you do the tutorial it tells you how to do a select few characters moves.

also, you can just look at the SRK Skull Girls Wiki

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls

they show u ever move, special, blockbuster and etc.

it's not ALL that bad with no movelist. A lot of the moves are generic commands from most fighters. Quarter Circle back (QCB), Quart Circle forward (QCF) Punch or kick. Forward>down>forward (Dragon punch aka Shoryuken motion) Punch or kick. Parasoul charges and has some generic commands and such. It's all really easy to figure out on your own really.

Symbol Motion Qcf.png A quarter circle forward (QCF), or a smooth motion between the down and forward directions (↓↘→) Qcb.png A quarter circle back (QCB), or a smooth motion between down and back directions (↓↙←) Dp.png The dragon-punch motion (DP), or a tap forward before hitting down and down-forward (→↓↘) Rdp.png The reverse dragon-punch motion (RDP), or a tap backward before hitting down and down-back (←↓↙) 360.png The 360 motion, or a circular motion that hits all four axis directions in sequence (→↓←↑)

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know that, its just nice to know to see what moves I can use instead of having to go onto the Internet.

Well excuse me for expecting a modern video game, a downloadable one at that, to at the least teach me all the basic controls rather than try and guess everything.

The word on the street is that they were literally out of memory and the ingame movelists is one of the things they had to cut... or something. It's not too bad because of that PDF they're offering but some characters have some pretty obtuse commands (well... like Bella's DP lk+lp anti air throw. I was fishing for that move ALL DAY and didn't think the try the throw combination with it)

I agree it's dumb it's not in the game though, very dumb. But no biggie due to how simple everything is you're unlikely to forget.

I didn't know about the not being able to tech throws whilst crouching thing, that would explain a lot about some of my online matches, hahahaha. So abusing that.

After having gotten the game and had more time with it and the characters, I've come to the conclusion that the tag-team mechanic doesn't mesh with the game and it's clear that it's just "there" because it's the popular thing to do. Having a match with any side having three characters feels completely arbitrary and weirdly balanced. The meta-game feels all over the place and it doesn't feel like it's designed from a team-fighter standpoint like MvC3 or Street Fighter x Tekken.

While I was also sort of defensive of the character roster at first it's pathetic to look at it. This game seriously needs more characters. There's not much leeway here for even the most casual matches to play out where I just pick characters to fuck around with.

Also Cerebella is still fucking ridiculous. Her only weakness seems to be counterpicks. Christina Vee and Mike Z is a match made in hell.

Other than that I love playing the game but much of the content just seems phoned in. It's like MvC3. Love the mechanics and game play which is what I'll be here for, hate all the content that's built to support it.

it would also seem Peacock is one of the weaker characters in the roster, the majority of her attacks are by random objects used as projectiles, or constant spam of her special and super moves at the worst time, going against a high melee combo character such as Ms Fortune on the lowest difficulty still kicked my ass, i eventually beat her with several well placed high punch's and Cannon projectile placements.

also the final story boss Marie, i struggled so much with Cerebella, but being able to spam from a safe distance with Peacock made me feel like the game is a bit cheap on some characters.

i also hate how they haven't added the Art gallery YET it simply says "Coming Soon" unless you unlock it later, which i've only unlocked Paint Palettes for Cerebella and Peacock

overall, the game made me grin from ear to ear, its beautiful and Cerebella is my fav character so far, although i can't get over Peacock's voice and her running gags, brilliant.

i also hate Double, my main gripe with fighters is that there is always that god mod character that drives you up the wall i.e. Blazblue's Nu

and no present move list is a bit strange for a fighter, especially when you're not a frequent fighter like myself, the whole cHP + jHK combo shit in the tutorial had me flailing in complete cluelessness...

DLC is on the way soon though.

So for someone who hasn't played a beat-'em-up since Soul Calibur II and is absolutely a greenhorn, is this worth picking up? I honestly can't tell looking at what people are posting around the 'Net so far.

It's a phenomenal game for people who are trying to get into fighting games, with a superbly encompassing tutorial mode that not only helps when getting into this game, but also fighting games in general, which is something they've been desperately needing for the past ten or so years. The roster is small and varied enough for anyone to find their preferred character of use and every basic character trope is represented here. You have the All-rounder (Filia), the Grappler (Cerebella), the Mixup/Zoning (Peacock), the Charge/Traps (Parasoul), the Rushdown (Painwheel) etc., you'll definitely find which play style you prefer here.

It doesn't offer much content but it's pretty solid competitively and is a great starting point to the genre.

The word on the street is that they were literally out of memory and the ingame movelists is one of the things they had to cut... or something. .

Nope that was because of the deadline, they didn't have time to put it in and prefered to put stuff more interesting than that in game. It will be patched in the game later.

It's a phenomenal game for people who are trying to get into fighting games, with a superbly encompassing tutorial mode that not only helps when getting into this game, but also fighting games in general, which is something they've been desperately needing for the past ten or so years. The roster is small and varied enough for anyone to find their preferred character of use and every basic character trope is represented here. You have the All-rounder (Filia), the Grappler (Cerebella), the Mixup/Zoning (Peacock), the Charge/Traps (Parasoul), the Rushdown (Painwheel) etc., you'll definitely find which play style you prefer here.

It doesn't offer much content but it's pretty solid competitively and is a great starting point to the genre.

Indeed. But about the characters, it's more like: different type of rushdown(Filia being the "basic" one with a great air game like Magneto, Valentine being your all around Wesker (but not as broken as him of course) char and Fortune being the one with a great ground game with nice mixups while having her beheaded special), the Zoning chars (Peacock being THE zoning character, pretty damn good while Parasoul is more of a trap, zoning and a bit of rushdown char), the hard hitter (Painwheel, like Sentinel in mvc2), the grappler (Cerebella, a GOOD grappler like Potemkin in GG) and the I don't even know what the fuck is this char: Double. Seriously what the heck is double in term of gameplay.

it would also seem Peacock is one of the weaker characters in the roster, the majority of her attacks are by random objects used as projectiles, or constant spam of her special and super moves at the worst time, going against a high melee combo character such as Ms Fortune on the lowest difficulty still kicked my ass, i eventually beat her with several well placed high punch's and Cannon projectile placements.

also the final story boss Marie, i struggled so much with Cerebella, but being able to spam from a safe distance with Peacock made me feel like the game is a bit cheap on some characters.

i also hate how they haven't added the Art gallery YET it simply says "Coming Soon" unless you unlock it later, which i've only unlocked Paint Palettes for Cerebella and Peacock

overall, the game made me grin from ear to ear, its beautiful and Cerebella is my fav character so far, although i can't get over Peacock's voice and her running gags, brilliant.

i also hate Double, my main gripe with fighters is that there is always that god mod character that drives you up the wall i.e. Blazblue's Nu

and no present move list is a bit strange for a fighter, especially when you're not a frequent fighter like myself, the whole cHP + jHK combo shit in the tutorial had me flailing in complete cluelessness...

DLC is on the way soon though.

Final boss is cheap as fuck, gotta agree with that. Art gallery wasn't in because of the deadline, it will be patched later in (for free of course) like a crapton of other stuff.

Btw I'm on psn people, I play a Parasoul/Filia (zoning team) team here's my name: Boo-ZAWARUDO. I also have a few videos of me playing online on youtube (link in signature) if anyone want to check out how I play before trying to fight me (just in case you hate fighting with zoning characters like lambda from Blazblue, char was frustrating as ffff) and/or want to see how the game looks online.

Edited by Boodendorf

Nope that was because of the deadline, they didn't have time to put it in and prefered to put stuff more interesting than that in game. It will be patched in the game later.

Yeah, they said if they get enough support, they will definitely patch it in as well as offer DLC down the road. I know they said quite a bit that DLC characters are going to happen, but I guess they want to see how well the game does before taking the next step. Honestly though, having no movelist isn't the worst thing that could have happened due to rushed deadline.

Indeed. But about the characters, it's more like: different type of rushdown(Filia being the "basic" one with a great air game like Magneto, Valentine being your all around Wesker (but not as broken as him of course) char and Fortune being the one with a great ground game with nice mixups while having her beheaded special), the Zoning chars (Peacock being THE zoning character, pretty damn good while Parasoul is more of a trap, zoning and a bit of rushdown char), the hard hitter (Painwheel, like Sentinel in mvc2), the grappler (Cerebella, a GOOD grappler like Potemkin in GG) and the I don't even know what the fuck is this char: Double. Seriously what the heck is double in term of gameplay.

I don't know how I feel about the characters in SG being compared to those of the MvC series XD

So for someone who hasn't played a beat-'em-up since Soul Calibur II and is absolutely a greenhorn, is this worth picking up? I honestly can't tell looking at what people are posting around the 'Net so far.

You can download the demo and try it. There's a part of the tutorial mode, the training mode and versus mode i think. You can mess around with 3 characters (Filia, Cerebella and Parasoul in tutorial mode).

^I love how you can fully access training mode. More game demos should do that, especially fighters (if a fighter gets a demo that is).

No way is she one of the worst! I was playing a friend using her the other night and she is easily one of the hardest characters to fight against, the random "spam" of projectiles and lasers and whatever else (a steamroller? DIO? A fridge!?) makes it super duper hard to get close to her. It's almost overwhelming how much stuff she can put on the screen.

if I let the guy's Peacock get out of control she killed my whole team D;

^I love how you can fully access training mode. More game demos should do that, especially fighters (if a fighter gets a demo that is).

Pretty sure no capcom fighting game will ever see a demo because "MONEEEEEY IT COSTS TOO MUCH".

No way is she one of the worst! I was playing a friend using her the other night and she is easily one of the hardest characters to fight against, the random "spam" of projectiles and lasers and whatever else (a steamroller? DIO? A fridge!?) makes it super duper hard to get close to her. It's almost overwhelming how much stuff she can put on the screen.

if I let the guy's Peacock get out of control she killed my whole team D;

but her main form of attack IS projectiles, which means Spamming will ensue no matter how you look at it, the majority of her melee attacks are short ranged and you need to get in super close to connect any of them anyway, i always have trouble facing Ms.Fortune as Peacock, since she's horrible for rush down and stagger combos which leaves Peacock useless.

fighting against Peacock on a higher level, the CPU just spams the shit out of her overhead random item drop, air projectiles and floor runners, as well as her cannon, which is almost as cheap as the final Skullgirl boss, i love the varied character tropes and differences between them, but for some the gap is much too large, don't get me started on Double though...

she is powerful in the right hands i admit, but to me she's a spammy character which gets annoying in heated battles, "I'm not winning in close combat, lets run away and spam my item throw and cannon projectile until it chips away at the opponents life gauge"

i just came back from fighting Marie again as Peacock and Filia, her stupid floating skulls and black silhouette fighters can go to hell ¬____¬

:Edit: i'm pretty sure one of the Achievements for Skullgirls is throw every one of Peacock's random items at your opponent, including the kitchen sink haha

Edited by Samus Aran

but her main form of attack IS projectiles, which means Spamming will ensue no matter how you look at it, the majority of her melee attacks are short ranged and you need to get in super close to connect any of them anyway, i always have trouble facing Ms.Fortune as Peacock, since she's horrible for rush down and stagger combos which leaves Peacock useless.

fighting against Peacock on a higher level, the CPU just spams the shit out of her overhead random item drop, air projectiles and floor runners, as well as her cannon, which is almost as cheap as the final Skullgirl boss, i love the varied character tropes and differences between them, but for some the gap is much too large, don't get me started on Double though...

she is powerful in the right hands i admit, but to me she's a spammy character which gets annoying in heated battles, "I'm not winning in close combat, lets run away and spam my item throw and cannon projectile until it chips away at the opponents life gauge"

You know, that's the whole point of a zoning character.

You know, that's the whole point of a zoning character.

well i don't know all this fighter jargon, i barely play them :P

well i don't know all this fighter jargon, i barely play them :P

A zoning character is a mid-ranged character that focuses on shutting down and out-prioritizing your opponent, and are usually the hardest kind of character to approach. They're the kind of characters that do battle by controlling the battlefield and projectiles are one of the many ways they go around by doing so. It's the one kind of style where mastering move properties is a must if you want to play effectively. Peacock is pretty much the key definition of such, with a plethora of multi-directional projectiles and a full-screen blockbuster.

well i don't know all this fighter jargon, i barely play them tongue.png

Basically what Carbo said. Zoning characters are there to annoy you, they need that long/mid range game to be worth crap and actually win. I myself have a lot of fun zoning with Parasoul and baiting people.

Oh hey guise! I've been living under a rock (well, actually been kinda casually glancing at this game from behind one), so may I ask if there's been any word on the PC release of this game yet? Wikipedia doesn't have a specific date for that listed yet. I love me some fightan' games (and I would say girls too, but since this is an American game they all have huge tits so sadface) so I'd totally be game for this!

Edited by HunterTSF

Oh hey guise! I've been living under a rock (well, actually been kinda casually glancing at this game from behind one), so may I ask if there's been any word on the PC release of this game yet? Wikipedia doesn't have a specific date for that listed yet. I love me some fightan' games (and I would say girls too, but since this is an American game they all have huge tits so sadface) so I'd totally be game for this!

No word on a PC release at all yet. They're gauging the PSN and XBLA release before they even consider patching in the command list and DLC characters. I'm pretty sure it may be awhile before any sort of PC release or announcement.