Awoo.

Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations

Patticus

*cough* oops.

Anyway, that's enough to suggest there may be more to this. Hence why I asked people to calm down.

Edited by Gerkuman

ME? I'M JUST THE MESSENGER

GO SUPER MECHA DEATH CHRIST 2000 BETA ON CAPCOM'S ASSES, NOT MEEEEEEEEE ;____;

(Besides, if it actually turns out to actually not be getting a localization, your frothing rage will be an ant's fart compared to my vast store of nuclear weapons.)

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 1

2znwunt.jpg

No... No Investigations 2?

shes-a-witch.jpg

BURN EM' BURN THE WITCHES!

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 4

...Uh-oh.

I'll be a little more clear.

The costs of localization are higher than the forecasted return. And no, it wouldn't sell more than Okamiden (which has already sold more than the first Investigations).

Could this content show up on some other platform somewhere down the line? Possibly, but there's nothing on that front for me to talk about. I realize there are fans who would like to have this and I'll be sure to explore ways that could happen viably in the future with our strategy and R&D teams but no promises.

I'll be a little more clear.

The costs of localization are higher than the forecasted return. And no, it wouldn't sell more than Okamiden (which has already sold more than the first Investigations).

Could this content show up on some other platform somewhere down the line? Possibly, but there's nothing on that front for me to talk about. I realize there are fans who would like to have this and I'll be sure to explore ways that could happen viably in the future with our strategy and R&D teams but no promises.

No, seriously, I totally get where they're coming from here. Yes, I'm a bit disappointed, and I can see why others are moreso, but from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense. If they brought it out in English, they'd lose money. Simple as. Regardless of whether they perhaps rip people off elsewhere.

It's not a case of 'can they afford to bring it out over here'. Of course they can. Sega could afford to make Shenmue 3, if it were that simple. What they're saying is that they'll lose money, and that's a pretty stupid business move to willingly and knowingly make. Whether they can afford to lose money or not, businesses have stakeholders and various other investors who they need to look good for. If they go around doing what is essentially throwing money away, it's not going to make them look good to the higher-ups.

It's the age-old and ultimately unsolvable matter of commercial feasibility versus the fan's best interests. Hell, ViZ media are cancelling the English version of GinTama, one of my favourite series of all time. Yes, I'm massively sad to see it cut short prematurely, but I do understand. I wish it could be different, but I can see why they've done it. It's the same thing here; no matter how loyal and die-hard a fanbase, if something is just outright commercially unsuccessful to the point of financial loss, it's not the sensible thing to do.

Rather than blame Capcom, blame all the people who don't buy the Ace Attorney games. Yes, fair enough, maybe they could market them better, but it's still a fairly niche series that's hardly going to penetrate the masses.

Edited by -Mark-

Again;

It's not 'It costs too much', it's 'It costs more than we will make from fans buying the game and we will lose money'.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just being more logical than usual because I wasn't all that desparate for AAI2 personally. I'm sure I'd be right at the heart of the angry mobs if it were Okamiden that wasn't getting localised.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 1

As long as Wright vs Layton still comes out in the US and PAL regions, I will forgive this.

I've been busy.

Disturbing information has come to light: in the same three week period since launch, AAI sales are worse than Okamiden.

Okamiden never reached high street stores in Europe.

I'm beginning to see the problem.

I'm not banking on any community having the motivation to release a fan translation within even six years, providing they just don't give up halfway through or let it stagnate.

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as Wright vs Layton still comes out in the US and PAL regions, I will forgive this.

See this is where I have some issues with the argument that AAI2 wouldn't fare well. I understand that they're iffy on working with it but since it's pretty much a guarantee that PLvsAA will be localized, simply on the account that Layton sells like hotcakes, localizing AAI2 is a perfect way to coincide that release, much like I'll assume the Layton 3DS game in Japan probably can. Sharing the label with Layton would definitely boost interest.

Come to think of maybe that's why they have no plans for it yet. Releasing AAI2 and Layton 3DS in a somewhat tandem-ish nature leading up to the crossover would more than likely boost both sales and interest, but we're so far off from that crossover yet and the interest in Ace Attorney isn't nearly as prevalent as it once used to be. At best I'd assume that AAI2 could be ported to the 3DS, much similar to the GS > AA transition from GBA to DS, and possibly an extra feature or two.

I've gone into this elsewhere *ahem*clicklinkreadthread*ahem* but essentially the development costs for doing a 3DS port are even higher than a straight DS localisation, so unless a 3DS port is riding on the back of a major marketing gimmick, it's even less realistic than a DS release.

The original Gyakuten Saiban games were ported to the DS with the specific intent of releasing them internationally. Recent AA releases have made it obvious that they're becoming increasingly less interested in doing so (Ace Attorney Investigations was only released in English and Japanese, for example).

I've been searching for places to order GK2 online, but the game is annoyingly scarce and frighteningly expensive for my standards.

Unfortunately it's no good for me if I can't understand what the characters are saying. :(

I've been searching for places to order GK2 online, but the game is annoyingly scarce and frighteningly expensive for my standards.

Does the Japanese version of investigations 2 have english subs?

No. I've been looking for it because I am (or was) intent on owning every AA game to date. Whether I actually am going to buy it is probably out of the question, though.

Considering all of this, it's probably a good thing that localization of the crossover is up to Level 5. The Layton games are really popular in Europe from what I understand, and I'm sure they wouldn't say no to more sales from another set of fans.

Though I wonder what was the cause of the poor sales of AAI. Lack of advertising, less interest or time, or due to the relatively lukewarm reaction to AJ?

Edited by Ekaje

I wonder if they could do a cheap port on WiiWare or 3DSWare?

Depends entirely on the ROM size limit. The first three games actually did go under the limit for WiiWare but I'm not convinced that a DS-built title will be that small. The size limit on WiiWare is less than 50MB IIRC.

I've been busy.

Disturbing information has come to light: in the same three week period since launch, AAI sales are worse than Okamiden.

Okamiden never reached high street stores in Europe.

I'm beginning to see the problem.

So basically, a game that's been out for three weeks and was barely sold in store (Okamiden) has sold more than a game that's been out for over a year (AAI). Bloody hell, it really must have tanked big time.

Depends entirely on the ROM size limit. The first three games actually did go under the limit for WiiWare but I'm not convinced that a DS-built title will be that small. The size limit on WiiWare is less than 50MB IIRC.

Last I heard, the WiiWare limit was 40MB.

Yesasia and Play-asia both have it in stock for around $60/ £37, which isn't too horrifically above the normal DS game RRP.

Edited by -Mark-