Awoo.

What if all Sonic characters had black eyes/eye color never changed in redesign?

Milo

Well, I don't think there would be any "BAAAAAWWWW GREEN EYES." Not to mention that it would kinda look like a more natural progression of character design. I do think complaining would still be there, though.

Edited by Ananze

Well, hm, yeah, I guess there would be less complaining about eyes. But then the fans would find something else to complain about. (After awhile, they would start probably complaining "Sonic looks soulless because his eyes don't have color!")

Edited by TwoTailedFox

The people who are that goddamn fussy would still be that goddamn fussy as people so in terms of the world as a whole not much would change.

Also generally people just point to the green eyes because they're the easiest difference to describe. If it wasn't people would just be calling him skinny Sonic or tall Sonic instead.

Well, I don't think there would be any "BAAAAAWWWW GREEN EYES." Not to mention that it would kinda look like a more natural progression of character design. I don't think Complaining would still be there, though.

People would complain about sonic legs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I don't think there would be any "BAAAAAWWWW GREEN EYES." Not to mention that it would kinda look like a more natural progression of character design. I don't think Complaining would still be there, though.

Even if sonic still had black eyes to this very day, people would still be bitching about "BAWWWW HIS LEGS ARE TO LONG!" or "BAWWW HE'S NOT CHUBBY!" or "BAWWW HIS QUILLS ARE TO STRETCHED OUT!!! BAWWW BAWWW BAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!".

• Thumbs Up 2

SEGA would still be making consoles and Sonic would be still loved, because his games would've never went down the crapper. Sony wouldn't be making consoles, because SEGA and Sonic would have destroyed them. Microsoft would've been too scared to have even started making consoles. There'd be no Mario & Sonic games..

SEGA would still be making consoles and Sonic would be still loved, because his games would've never went down the crapper. Sony wouldn't be making consoles, because SEGA and Sonic would have destroyed them. Microsoft would've been too scared to have even started making consoles. There'd be no Mario & Sonic games..

And the world would have been a better place, THE END.

• Thumbs Up 1

Um, they would have black eyes, and it would be even harder to tell the difference between M. Sonic and C. Sonic in Generations, leading to confusion that would require a section of walkthroughs to determine which Sonic is which and pissing off a lot of people who just bought the game. :P

We'd be complaining that the texturing on the 3D models was drawing attention away from the beautiful simplicity of the designs, thus raging constantly on message boards in hopes Sega would hear our pleas and make the change needed for the greater good of the franchise. Cloth texture on my classic Sonic's gloves? Bitch please.

• Thumbs Up 1

The designs were tweaked to fit the context of their respective games.

The chubby, unlikely protagonist rebelling against the iron regime design probably wouldn’t fit in with the EXXTRREEEEEAAAAAAAAAMMMM Adventure series and vice versa.

Both designs did their job- you can recognize them from a distance, you know their relationship to the environment, and you have a general understanding who they are. It really comes down to stylistic preference.

Even past the initial view of the character, it doesn’t leave a heavy impact on the game

The Sonic 06 design on the other hand was a bad gift that kept on giving for me, because I was constantly distracted comparing the size of his eye socket to the proportions of the realistic Elise. Designers usually have to consider this when they know they are going to pair a character with another character.

We might actually focus on the actual problem of forced missions and gameplay?

Eh, doubt it... There'd be something equally stupid to draw attention away from the meaningful discussion... like always.

• Thumbs Up 1

People would've still found something to bitch about. Note that the green eyes complain only became widespread once Sonic 4 was announced, where as it wasn't as vocal as it was before yet there were still folks raging over other things in the franchise.

People love to complain, some more ridiculously than others.

• Thumbs Up 4

If Sonic and co. never got a redesign..

..the quality of the games wouldn't have changed at all.

I wasn't asking if they character design stayed the same....I was asking if they all had black eyes/never had their eye color changed.

On a side note, I meant to say that I think that complaining would STILL remain....I guess that's what happens when you're typing in a rush. :\

Edited by Ananze

If the Sonic characters never got a redesign, we'd find something else to whine and bitch about. Even if it's incredibly pointless. We're amazing like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I like both modern and classic, changing them wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Is... is he wearing eyeliner? How long have you been hiding in that closet, Knuckles?

Sorry, I laughed at this. We love you either way, Knuckles :)