Awoo.

What if all Sonic characters had black eyes/eye color never changed in redesign?

Milo

Admittedly, I wasn't part of the Sonic fandom when the cast received their redesigns, but I've always found the reaction among some subsets of the fanbase to be a bit... odd. It's a fairly mild redesign, all things considered - I know the proportions and a few other things changed but it's still recognisably the same character, I've seen worse redesigns in other cult franchises. Not to mention, even if you prefer the classic design, I think most logical fans would be hard-pressed to call the new designs "ugly" - they're different but to me, the Uekawa artwork is iconic in its own way.

If there's one thing that any fan, in any fandom, must know for sure, it's that some fan, somewhere, will complain about something. If Sonic and his co-stars had not been redesigned then I'm sure people would still be complaining about the transition to 3D - just look at the complaints the the classic Sonic model in Generations received, for looking too chubby and cute, etc. Not to mention, while some fans are still a bit butthurt over the green eyes I don't think it's been a serious issue with the fandom for years now - it's not as if there haven't been bigger things to complain about!

I'm sure people would still be complaining about the transition to 3D - just look at the complaints the the classic Sonic model in Generations received, for looking too chubby and cute, etc.

The fans complain about modern Sonic for being too skinny and now they're complaining about Classic Sonic for being chubby...? *sighs* Classic Sonic always been that chubby and the Japanese version of classic Sonic always looks cute especially when he's in 3D. Just show them the Sonic 1, 2, and 3 boxart. Look at how freakin round he is.

Thankfully I haven't came across anybody who is complaining about C.Sonic chubbyness. I think it adds to his charm.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

The fans complain about modern Sonic for being too skinny and now they're complaining about Classic Sonic for being chubby...? *sighs* Classic Sonic always been that chubby and the Japanese version of classic Sonic always looks cute especially when he's in 3D. Just show them the Sonic 1, 2, and 3 boxart. Look at how freakin round he is.

Thankfully I haven't came across anybody who is complaining about C.Sonic chubbyness. I think it adds to his charm.

You're exactly right - I love the classic design for those reasons, and I also like the modern design on its own merits (particularly in the original Sonic Adventure artwork, partly for nostalgia's sake, I'll admit...). As per usual a lot of complaints (not all, but a lot) are born out of ignorance - people have an idealised version of how classic Sonic "should" look, probably not helped by the fact that he was portrayed pretty differently across various mediums.

The one thing that's for certain is that some fans will complain regardless - besides, Sonic had already undergone a slight art evolution even during the classic years - most notably his proportions changed slightly, if you compare his official Japanese art from across the period you can see how his head got slightly smaller and the design gradually became more refined. Maybe that also contributed to those saying that classic Sonic is too chubby in Generations - that the Generations model is clearly based on the Japanese Sonic 1 art, not the ever-so-slightly-slimmer Sonic that became more prominent later on.

The Sonic fanbase will always be able to find an alternative to bitch about.

Edited by --Chris--
  • Thumbs Up 1

We might actually focus on the actual problem of forced missions and gameplay?

Eh, doubt it... There'd be something equally stupid to draw attention away from the meaningful discussion... like always.

In all honesty I think had there been no redesign the characters would look much more endearing. The style of the designs would be charmingly retro and I'd love it. Basically the case with classic Sonic in Generations. He's so cute!

Still, the current designs are good in their own right and I'm perfectly happy with them.

If Sonic characters still had black eyes ?

My favorite line ever wouldn't have been "BAAWWW GREEN EYES" but "BAAWWWW LONG HAIR".

And thus the world would be 7% less funny.

What if all Sonic characters had black eyes/eye color never changed in redesign?

Then the post-Adventure designs would look decidedly soulless and awkward - eye colour was a massive part of the natural progression of the series' overall character design into the more mature and well-developed form that the games that it first featured in took on, and shouldn't be treated as anything but positive improvement.

Eye colour isn't really the problem as far as forum arguments go, anyway; the problem is that the bitchy retrofags can't get nostalgically blue-balled over anything that isn't pinpoint-perfectly accurate to what it was in their childhood, and act in an accordingly abrasive manner.

• Thumbs Up 1

People would've still found something to bitch about. Note that the green eyes complain only became widespread once Sonic 4 was announced, where as it wasn't as vocal as it was before yet there were still folks raging over other things in the franchise.

People love to complain, some more ridiculously than others.

Hmm, thought it had to do with bringing in modern elements in a supposedly "classic" game. Like how barely anyone would care if it didn't have the "4" in the title.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

he draws fangs on sonic like i do =3

Of course, Naoto wanted Sonic to have teeth like that from the very start, whether Sonic did so back in the classic days was actually hard to tell, his teeth were never shown (I don't think), though people do assume it was kicked out of his design quite early.

Edited by Mysterics