Awoo.

The Little Moves

Soniman

People seemed to forget that Sonic Unleashed brought a lot more to Sonic gameplay than just the Boost, it also brought a bevy of unique little abilites that seem to fall to the way side.

They are as follows

-Slide

-Stomp

-Wall Jump

-Spin Kick

-Box Kick

I would like the level designs of future Sonic games to make use of these moves interesting ways, beacuse as of now they only seem to have one particular use (Slidding under crevaces, stomping through glass/ice/etc, Box kicking enemies that are right in front of you).

In my opinon these moves can do so much more than there initial parameters, and it really has the oppurtunity to make the gameplay more varied and interesting.

My absolute favorite out of all of those introduced is the stomp for the fact that it kills needless airtime, works as an attack, and is a neat way to prevent overshooting something. It's just so much fun to use in different ways.

Also, I wouldn't really consider the wall jump new; we had something similar in Heroes.

Also, I wouldn't really consider the wall jump new; we had something similar in Heroes.

Well that was vertical, the wall jump here is horizontal.

Speaking of Heroes, I would also like to see the blue tornado make a return in some form

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that was vertical, the wall jump here is horizontal.

Speaking of Heroes, I would also like to see the blue tornado make a return in some form

I think you mean Heroes was horizontal and Unleashed is vertical.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, SaTH had the triangle jump as well (though I don't remember Unleashed having a wall jump.) I agree that stomp is very useful, as is drift (especially when paired with boost.)

Yeah, SaTH had the triangle jump as well (though I don't remember Unleashed having a wall jump.) I agree that stomp is very useful, as is drift (especially when paired with boost.)

Edited by Blue Blood

I actually found the Stomp incredibly useful, as I have a tendency to overshoot things. Although, it could be improved, as I have accidentally used it during combo attacks before. Which is embarrasing and kills your time to boot.

I was incredibly pleased to see both the Stomp and Slide introduced in the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colours, personally. I've long since wondered whether 2D Sonic would work beyond "run, jump, Spin Dash and that's about it" and so was super-excited to see the Stomp in particular. It was definitely useful and a hugely welcome addition. Regarding the Slide, however, I found it didn't really work too well, given the 2D environments. A prompt flashed up too late to react, and so it often required perfect level recollection... although, that said, so do the Day Stages from Sonic Unleashed, so I guess I can let that slide (pun semi-intended).

Stomping is something that just makes sense, and I can't wait to see it used to smash through vertical sections of levels in the future. Moments like the ice walls in Cool Edge - Day shattering to pieces as Sonic leads with a sneaker (or indeed, the huge stacks of crates in Arid Sands - Day) were, and still are, fantastic for making an impact. Great sound, great feel and great visuals all combine to take Sonic's unstoppable speed beyond the "running forward a lot" variety.

I don't really like the quick step and drift anymore. I didn't have so much of a problem with them before, but then I realized that they basically eliminated standard stick movement.

I don't really like the quick step and drift anymore. I didn't have so much of a problem with them before, but then I realized that they basically eliminated standard stick movement.

Not really. The quickstep, is just a rapid way of moving yourself out of the way of an obstacle. It would be faster than turning with the analogue stick. Granted, its only really useful in Unleashed styled level design.

The drift would suck, if it stayed like Colours or Unleashed. The Spindash-drift on the otherhand, is awesome. It actually does enable you to go through sharp corners without losing speed (something you shouldn't be able to do at speed with regular controls, if the physics work properly). It could do with being a bit sharper though; like allowing you to be able to do an effective u-turn, without stopping dead in your tracks.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 3

The quickstep, is just a rapid way of moving yourself out of the way of an obstacle. It would be faster than turning with the analogue stick.

[The spindash drift] actually does enable you to go through sharp corners without losing speed (something you shouldn't be able to do at speed with regular controls, if the physics work properly).

This is kind of what I mean. Why weave back and forth with the control stick when you can snap sideways with quick step? Why turn manually when the drift can make tighter turns at higher speeds?

My absolute favorite out of all of those introduced is the stomp for the fact that it kills needless airtime, works as an attack, and is a neat way to prevent overshooting something. It's just so much fun to use in different ways. Also, I wouldn't really consider the wall jump new; we had something similar in Heroes.

This. I found it especially useful for getting to the bottom of the aquarium park water sections without wasting time.

This is kind of what I mean. Why weave back and forth with the control stick when you can snap sideways with quick step? Why turn manually when the drift can make tighter turns at higher speeds?

To retain momentum and steer yourself simultaneously..?

I think that's one of the reasons I like those moves so much (or moreso the drift, really), because they support gaining momentum and methods of keeping that speed without sacrificing control, or vice versa. Actually, I welcome any move as long as it supports the focus on momentum and carrying along speed. Because of that, I'd be perfectly a-ok with an Sadv2 style boost.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 3

Why is this a bad thing, if you consider it to be bad?

Its not taking control away from the player. The side-step, maybe, but the spindash drift still requires you to turn. If you don't, you just continue forwards in ball-form. The SDD is useful when you've gotten going and you are trying to maintain your speed. You don't need it at low speeds.

It makes sense, and is an excellent move to have. Like I said, it isn't taking control away from you.

• Thumbs Up 1

My absolute favorite out of all of those introduced is the stomp for the fact that it kills needless airtime, works as an attack, and is a neat way to prevent overshooting something. It's just so much fun to use in different ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind the Quick-Step and Drift being included...what else would you use the Shoulder buttons for.

Camera control.