Awoo.

Sonic is a boring character

Chaos Nightmare Moon

He's just to optimistic, lighthearted and ignorant for me, it's sad that Sega won't give him more than 2 emotions every game(Happy and Action). Sonic can never be anything but a silly, empty, children's character. Yes I aware he's shown rare instances of sadness and rage, but it's as subtle as a white hair on a grey hound. Meaning that his character is stuck in status quo mode, and can't behave out of his normal childish teenage persona. I honestly don't know why main protagonists like that exist, especially japanese shonen heroes. Are the authors afraid to touch on the reality of life through the characters they created as the main role, I guess it's a idealistic moral thing. But I like my heroes with flaws and real life scenarios that mimic ours like Spider-Man or Batman or Naruto.

But on the topic, Sonic is kinda bland and Sega won't expand on his character to a more relateable level. He's the colorful mascot who bounces around without meaning or purpose; just pretty lights and loud noises.

• Thumbs Up 1

You derided Sonic for being an unrealistic shonen hero then listed Naruto as an example he should live up to? =/

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

;-;

But yeah, Sega really doesn't care much about that character and story stuff as they used too when they were pushing consoles, nowadays they're trying to make fun games that appeal to the masses to make money, which they need to stay alive.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

You derided Sonic for being an unrealistic shonen hero then listed Naruto as an example he should live up to? =/

If you read the manga, Naruto has more depth than current shonen heroes, he actually ponders his path towards the future, struggles with real life, goes through tough times with his friends and usually needs encouragement from everyone instead of being a default anti depressent like most character his genre is.

He's just to optimistic, lighthearted and ignorant for me, it's sad that Sega won't give him more than 2 emotions every game(Happy and Action). Sonic can never be anything but a silly, empty, children's character. Yes I aware he's shown rare instances of sadness and rage, but it's as subtle as a white hair on a grey hound. Meaning that his character is stuck in status quo mode, and can't behave out of his normal childish teenage persona. I honestly don't know why main protagonists like that exist, especially japanese shonen heroes. Are the authors afraid to touch on the reality of life through the characters they created as the main role, I guess it's a idealistic moral thing. But I like my heroes with flaws and real life scenarios that mimic ours like Spider-Man or Batman or Naruto.

But on the topic, Sonic is kinda bland and Sega won't expand on his character to a more relateable level. He's the colorful mascot who bounces around without meaning or purpose; just pretty lights and loud noises.

Yes, because the last character with character development went so well didn't it, I mean let's do it with the Main Character and have people hate the franchise even more.

If you read the manga, Naruto has more depth than current shonen heroes, he actually ponders his path towards the future, struggles with real life, goes through tough times with his friends and usually needs encouragement from everyone instead of being a default anti depressent like most character his genre is.

His best friend is trying to kill everyone, and everyone else is trying to convince him to kill the bastard for very justified reasons, but he's still convinced that he can save him, but Sonic is the overly optimistic one? :/

Edited by Shadic93

I'm just saying, Sonic could be well written by the right people. I just need more convincing of his emotional range instead of being mister I'm mr cool good guy.

I'd rather have a "default anti depressant" that inspires me to stop being a sad sack and get up and do things with my life than a protagonist that goes "lemme wallow in your sorrows with you- also, lemme remind you of my terrible past for the umpteenth time." And keeps me feeling the same way. I read fiction to escape this world, and if I wanted the real world I'd look out the window and grab some popcorn.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm just saying, Sonic could be well written by the right people. I just need more convincing of his emotional range instead of being mister I'm mr cool good guy.

That's kind of the idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

You do realize that he's a cartoon character and not a real person right? Expecting a realistic interpretation from a cartoon hedgehog is so completely backwards its not even funny, and I can't believe that you're considering this.

Like Inferno said, you want real emotions go into the real world, this is fiction.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never watched Naruto Shippuden, but I did play Ultimate Ninja Storm 2.

This is how it went down.

I killed everyone in your village!

You should feel bad!

I do! I'm sorry! I'll bring everyone I killed back to life!

*Head explodes*

• Thumbs Up 4

I never watched Naruto Shippuden, but I did play Ultimate Ninja Storm 2.

This is how it went down.

*Head explodes*

Oh, its so much more than that, so much more its not even funny.

• Thumbs Up 3

I thought characters were shown as emotional wrecks to seem deep and cool to certain audiences. But if Sonic is already the coolest thing since sliced bread, why would he need to cry every time Amy gets kidnapped or curse into the sunset every time Eggman gets away?

Didn't Sonic X attemtp to give Sonic some emotional range at some point? And we all know that show was a masterpiece in terms of the writing.

Shitty game aside...Black Knight portrayed Sonic very well actually. I actually prefer if Sonic was written a lot like he was in that game honestly.

He was kinda of a dick in that game if you ask me...from certain aspects.

Real people run a whole gamut of personalities. Not everyone is a clinically depressed piece of work that needs someone to get them out of bed every week. Some people are actually happy with their lives and inspire the people around them as a result. Some people are that person you go to to have a good shoulder to cry on. Some people are emotionally balanced. That's what Sonic is. I admit it's romantic, if you don't think that happy personalities are in some way reasonable or realistic, then I wonder who in the world you're hanging out with on a daily basis.

Besides, why would Sonic have any reason to be like Naruto- constantly pondering and worrying and complaining- without completely twisting either the world he lives in or his own personality? Sonic is a responsibility-free teenager who has all the freedom to literally run to different countries and engage in culture, vacation his head off, and kick bad guy's and monsters asses often. That's a fantastic life. Why would he be angry?

• Thumbs Up 8

He's just to optimistic, lighthearted and ignorant for me, it's sad that Sega won't give him more than 2 emotions every game(Happy and Action). Sonic can never be anything but a silly, empty, children's character.

I know, why can't he be as cool as that Mario guy? I mean, it's not like Mario's franchise is successful or anything because of his awesome character development.

Seriously, I think humans have some sick fascination with dark characters... it'd be awfully cliche for Sonic to turn out like Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Squall, Dante, etc. Besides we have Shadow for that- Sega can just experiment with his character development (and we all know how that went) before they mess around with the mascot and hero of little kids.

In this world, good news is boring news. Only bad news is interesting news. The same goes for characters.

It's a little funny.

Worst_Elise2--article_image.jpg

....Well damn, point taken, its hilarious, but still wrong.

In this world, good news is boring news. Only bad news is interesting news. The same goes for characters.

I'm not following.

Anyway, I don't know why and how people associate "Angst and sadness" as interesting character traits, I mean does a character have to be mopey and all serious to be interesting? Is that what the media is teaching us nowadays?

Edited by Shadic93

Sonic 06 was a great example of Sega's attempt at Sonic's character development... a little too creepy for my tastes though.

(I'll stick to my ongoing mantra of "it never happened" in my head, thank you very much).

Edited by Nazo

I know, why can't he be as cool as that Mario guy? I mean, it's not like Mario's franchise is successful or anything because of his awesome character development.

Seriously, I think humans have some sick fascination with dark characters... it'd be awfully cliche for Sonic to turn out like Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Squall, Dante, etc. Besides we have Shadow for that- Sega can just experiment with his character development (and we all know how that went) before they mess around with the mascot and hero of little kids.

Cloud was a badass before Advent Children.

"Sonic is a boring character"

which is why Metal Sonic is much cooler, at least from my own personal recollection yeah.

Cloud was a badass before Advent Children.

I take it that's when the whole "Cloud is an emo pussy" fad started huh? I'm not that into Final Fantasy, but I'm aware of that much.

You do realize that he's a cartoon character and not a real person right? Expecting a realistic interpretation from a cartoon hedgehog is so completely backwards its not even funny, and I can't believe that you're considering this.

Like Inferno said, you want real emotions go into the real world, this is fiction.

For the record, I'm not advocating Sonic turn into someone like Shinji Ikari, an over emotional teenager, I just wanted to explain how I don't buy Sonic one shoe size fits all personality and should be more convincing as a protagonist, convincing me why I should cheer for him while saves the day and why his character is endearing.

Otherwise, he's no better than Mario. Simple and Empty.