Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

I always liked the design of Bark the Polar Bear, with his cap, mitts and such.

However, Ray the Squirriel looks like a pretty cruddy Tails knockoff

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Tails' design. It's pretty simple, and he looks really cute too ^-^

Never liked Sally's design though. As I said in another topic,

She needs shirt and pants, or something besides that vest. It's really weird seeing all the other female characters, and they're wearing some sort of clothing. Then you see Sally, who's female, but she's not wearing clothes (vest doesn't count!)
  • Thumbs Up 1

Worst designed character: Chip. Do I NEED to say why? Grotesquely huge mouth, freakish eyelids, garish coloring, confounding wings, fucking faux-hawk, and little bunny rabbit tail... just... just FUCK HIM! FUCK HIM TO HELL AND DAMNATION!

Runner up: Cream. Her coloration makes her look like a damn clown, and her outfit is beyond lazy.

• Thumbs Up 3

The best designs:

Sonic- I especially love how he looks in his 2D art

Blaze

Knuckles- from the dreadlocks to the lego looking shoes of his I always enjoyed the design of Knuckles

Fang- I like fangs design because it looks the most original especially when some of the modern cast is just

recolors of existing chars.

The worst designs:

Shade- because she just looks weird

Eggman nega- just a eggman ripoff design wise

Rouge- too slutty

Edited by CapBusta

Best? Honestly... Sonic and Eggman. They both hit a perfect balance between goofy, cute and cool, never leaning far enough in any one direction that they feel like they're trying too hard. They're simple but effective, both in classic and modern (but not '06, god help us all) forms.

As far as the supporting cast goes, I'm a big fan of Vector. He's different enough from the rest of the animal characters that he feels fresh, but he's similar enough that he never looks out of place next to the more traditional characters. Honestly, I kind of wish that Charmy could've followed Vector's (and to a lesser extent, Espio's) lead in looking a little more like his source animal. I also really love Marine's design. No huge reason; she's just very cute, her outfit is simple without getting into Amy's dress (REDEVERYWHERE) territory and her colour scheme works well. Also pigtails.

As for the worst, I'm going to agree with the OP that Ray is pretty forgettable, but he's such a minor player in the grand scheme of things that I can't really hold his design against him (same deal with Mighty, actually). Nor do I really feel comfortable complaining about the obviously not-Sonic-style animal characters that Archie seems to love so much, since I only occasionally bother with the comics these days. I guess I have to say Silver, then: he's not really all that terrible out of the context of the series, but the recolour card was lame the first time they played it, and at least Shadow didn't have such goofy hair. I do like Silver's gloves and boots, though, so it isn't all bad.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 2

Shadow.

They took Super Sonic's design, colored it black and red, and gave him hoverskates. I find it apporiate because Shadow is the Ultimate Life-Form and he just so happened to be evil an anti-hero. :P

It's hard to pick the best because I feel most of them have good designs. I'm a big fan of Vector, I think he got the most out of the Chaotix redesigns. Really gives him a lot of personality in looks alone.

As for the worst designs. I really don't like Jet or Storm. Jet because he's a green bird when we already had another perfectly awesome green bird that could be used. Storm is just boring. Boring color. Boring design. Plus we had other fat characters that could have been used in that his place as well but that's a different reason.

Eggman Nega is the worst video game character ever, so, obviously he goes here as well.

And even though he grew on me, I did think Shadow's design was very lazy and very Sonic fancharacter.

Edited by Teeks
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tails is the cutest character, hands down. I just had to break to onE of my friends the other day that Tails is not a girl. She was traumatized.

Edited by Chaos Walker

Best design goes to espio. Espio because for one he's one of the only two reptiles in the entire franchise (the other being Vector). Not to mention he's the only speed character who's shoes don't involve the color red. Oh and he's a ninja, everyone loves ninjas :P

Worst Design goes to Metal Sonc 3.0: Basically a crappy recolor that made it into an official game

Espio is my absolute favorite Sonic character and a lot of it has to do with his design. He's very cool. I'm not a big fan of the color purple, but it really helps him to stand out from the rest of the cast. Also his gloves and shoes are badass.

• Thumbs Up 1

Worst designed character: Chip. Do I NEED to say why? Grotesquely huge mouth, freakish eyelids, garish coloring, confounding wings, fucking faux-hawk, and little bunny rabbit tail... just... just FUCK HIM! FUCK HIM TO HELL AND DAMNATION!

Runner up: Cream. Her coloration makes her look like a damn clown, and her outfit is beyond lazy.

The worst easily goes to American Classic Sonic.

2h8df0k.png

kill_it_with_fire_RE_Some_funnies-s670x394-151259.jpg

I think the best are probably the SA2 designs of Sonic and Shadow.

582gc_sonicadventure2_copy.jpgShadow_4.png

So awesome! biggrin.png

Why? Silver probably went through the most rigorous design processes in the whole series. Over 50 changes. I think he looks great.

Agree. American Sonic design should burn in fire.

Best design is series? I love those arts from SA2.

Best designed characters? I have some.

Blaze: Orginal. Nice of Eastern (arabic) culture to create charcter.

Shadow: People can say what they want to say. Shadow design maybe wasnt THAT orginal but was/is great. It represents how Shadow is different from Sonic but at once they share some things (abilities).

Silver: Orginal designed Hedgehog. He is alot different from Shadow and Sonic. I think he looks great.

Amy: Well she is orginal. Nothing more to say here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver.png

Silver, hands down.

He looks like a Cockatoo with a marijuana leaf on its forehead, crossed with Sonic, Trunks from Dragon Ball Z and Sephiroth from FFVII.

Also, why all the hate for American classic Sonic? I reckon he looks okay. Are you all a bunch of weeaboos or something?

Edited by SHAX Hedgefox
  • Thumbs Up 7

Silver.png

Silver, hands down.

He looks like a Cockatoo with a marijuana leaf on its forehead, crossed with Sonic, Trunks from Dragon Ball Z and Sephiroth from FFVII.

Also, why all the hate for American classic Sonic? I reckon he looks okay. Are you all a bunch of weeaboos or something?

Aren't "weeaboos" those people who obsess over anime and japanese culture?

Hahaha, no.

American Sonic is just ugly, to us anyways. And to me for some reason I think he looks perverted, especially in SatAM. *shot*

Best: Definitely Blaze, I completely adore her unique design

Runner-up: Eggman, he's just all around eggcellent

Worst: Eggman Nega for basically being a recolor of Eggman with different goggles and glasses

Runner-up: Shadow, for being a Super Sonic recolor with more chest fur and rocket skates

• Thumbs Up 1

For god sake's people, Shadow was supposed to be similar to Sonic's design!

Thats what I mean. It was the very purpose of character people!

At least 2 other hedgehogs are different and unique (Amy and Silver).

Oh and I forgot to mention Tails. His design rocks.

Silver.png

Silver, hands down.

You mean he is worst? I hate when people compare Sonic characters to DBZ. I hate even more when they compare Shadow and Silver to Sonic.

Yes they are all hedgehogs but they are different (especialy Silver). Now lets look at Mighty... People say that his design is unique. For what? Because he is Aramdillo? He is basically recolor of Sonic people.

Following that thinking I can say that Knuckles is red Sonic with dreads and bigger fists. Stop comparing characters to Sonic.

Mighty's a bad example. Most people around here do criticize him for being a Sonic recolor.

Have you been reading my mind? Im not sure im cool with that. angry.png

Lol, but seriously, i feel exactly like you do, both about Chip and about Cream. Especially Chip. Man, for a character that is obviously supposed to be "cute", Sega did so many wrongs with him that it's not even funny. I mean, appart from his terrible design and his grating personality, they actually had an adult male do his voice in the english version!

I liked that. Much better than an extremely high non-male sounding voice. I thought his voice fit to him.

For god sake's people, Shadow was supposed to be similar to Sonic's design!

Fully acknowledged. That doesn't mean that we should like it, though.

As for me, the best character design-wise is Sonic from Secret Rings onwards..I love that it's something of a mix between his Classic and Adventure-Era designs. As I said before in some other topic thread, Sonic hasn't looked so consistently awesome in a long while.

The worst character designs, on the other hand, belongs to Silver and Mighty. Yes, I'm aware that Silver's design went through over fifty revisions; I still don't like his design, especially the quill design. As for Mighty, well, he's pretty much Sonic the Armadillo.

BEST

Bark - I think he's really under-rated, his design is quite different to most other characters in the series. I'd love to see him return.

Classic Robotnik - Obvious

Big - Another character with an original design that still fits the series look overall.

WORST

Silver - Not a fan of his tentacle head but more so it's the two quills at the back, I just think he's horribly designed.

Espio - I like Espio's design but turning him into a ninja was clearly pandering to current trends. Ninjas are far far too overused.

Giant Monsters - Dark Gaia/ Iblis - I've never felt giant monsters ever reallly fit into the series and the designs are too bland.