Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

That's just getting into nitpick territory. Characters so far off in the background nobody should sanely care if Platypus B has more fur on it than Platypus A.

What also gets me about Archie is their glaring inconsistency when it comes to characters of the same species, specifically design. Compare;

Koala's Barby and Abby;

barby.pngabby.png

Armadillo's Mighty and Arlo;

mighty.pngarlo.png

Platypuses Bill and Penelope

bill.pngpenelope.png

I know there's far more than that, such as massive fundamental design differences between cats such as Hershey, Hathor, Blaze and Sasha. Rabbits like Downtown Ebony Hare, the Enchantress and Bunnie and even foxes such as...um...Foxy (Ebony Hare's squeeze) and other foxes.

Barby I cant defend since that was a genuine fuck up.

Im pretty sure Arlo was in the comics before Mighty, and AFTER Mighty appeared Arlo never made another appearance.

And both Bill and Penelope had redesigns that made them more similar in appearance.

But yeah, like Dejablue said, it is kinda just nitpicking at this point.

Hell, Blaze and Big are both cats, yet they look nothing alike.

Edited by Sonimas032

Hell, Blaze and Big are both cats, yet they look nothing alike.
This is more a matter of having wildly different body types than translating the same species in two very different ways. Big is...well, big; he looks the way he does because he's a huge stocky/fat guy. But aside from that he follows similar design conventions as the rest of the cast; big Mickey Mouse hands, toeless feet, a defined muzzle, etc.

When you compare the two armadillos above, Mighty is clearly working off the same elements as Sonic (since he's basically a recolor...) but the other guy...you'd have no way of knowing he was in any way related to Sonic if no one told you.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is more a matter of having wildly different body types than translating the same species in two very different ways. Big is...well, big; he looks the way he does because he's a huge stocky/fat guy. But aside from that he follows similar design conventions as the rest of the cast; big Mickey Mouse hands, toeless feet, a defined muzzle, etc.

When you compare the two armadillos above, Mighty is clearly working off the same elements as Sonic (since he's basically a recolor...) but the other guy...you'd have no way of knowing he was in any way related to Sonic if no one told you.

I think most Sonic characters look nothing like, but I agree with you, Big well...goes by his name. Sonic looks nothing like a real hedgehog besides the spines. His eyes? Look so alien if your gonna compare anything XD

Best:

Vector

OxsgK.png

I really like how this guy actually has different proportions and body shape

compared to the other characters. Most Sonic characters have the same

basic body type with small alterations. This guy actually looks more like his

species, but still fits in. More characters should be like Vector. Besides,

it's a crocodile wearing headphones. How cool is that? I also like his

current voice actor, really fits the design. Vector is awesome.

I was pleasantly suprised to see other people in this thread like him.

Sonic

Yeah, not much to say here. He hasn't always been great, but I really

like his current Unleashed/Colours/Generations model. Sonic has a simple

design that doesn't resemble his species too much, but for some reason

I really like it. Doesn't need too many accessories, but I appreciate the

variety in Sonic Riders. The SA2 stuff is just silly though. And clothes

on Sonic look silly.

Tails

Like Vector, Tails actually has a different body shape compared to

other characters. Of course, the difference isn't that big, but it is

very welcome. His colours are cool, and stand out from Sonic.

He has a cool muzzle and... yeah. He's pretty neat.

Honourable mention to Blaze the Cat. She's cool. Also Big, for

basically the same reason as Vector.

Undecided:

Sally

Yeah, I don't know what to say about Sally. I haven't watched the cartoons

or read the comics, so I think I've got a fairly unbiased viewpoint. The original

design has a freakishly large head, and later designs look better but she's

too humanlike.

I suppose the newer version is better, but it definitely needs

a lot of tweaking. The lack of clothes doesn't bother me. In fact, I think it's

stupid that the other female characters wear clothes. Except for Blaze,

because she's from an alternate dimension.

Worst:

Espio

Don't get me wrong, I like the whole ninja thing. Chameleons are good at

camoflauge, so clearly chameleons are ninjas. cool.png

However, he looks way too much like Sonic. I know there are clear differences,

but he just isn't different enough. He's a chameleon, he should be taller and

thinner, and his face being so close to Sonic's makes no sense. What's

with the Soniclike muzzle? What?

There's a lot of potential here, but

we're just left with this mediocre purple guy. Ehhhh.

EDIT: I forgot to add Rouge under the worst designs.

Edited by LunchPolice

I hope you guys know it usually depends on the artist when it comes to those features, people like Steven Butler tends to do that a lot, while others like Tracey and Bates don't and keep them looking in a normal state.

For instance, here is Steven Butler

SallyAcorn02.png

....she looks like the result of someone who wanted to draw her with a human body. Compare it to Tails in the background and look at how out of place it looks. sleep.png

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFan

If that Sally design ever came to be, it should be in 06 along side with the princess. XD I swear, even besides Sally, everyone looked "long, tall" Sonic looked... like he did in 06. Very long droopy spines. Everyone just seemed off, glad they changed Sally to the newest artist cause I actually like that alot.

• Thumbs Up 1

*scrolls down page*

Goddammit Archie

Their comics ARE truly the equivalent of published fanfic.

Anyway, aside from those monstrosities, we can all agree, 06 Eggs is terrifying. I'm sure that's been pointed out many times, but seriously.

tumblr_ltt30nFPFI1qea6k0o1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1322445502&Signature=C7oXCivvHL0Uhfl6xJO%2B1ydecaA%3D

Jesus christ how horrifying

It's funny how a pair of glasses can change Eggman's appearance.

Emotionless without glasses = creepy

eggman2-1.jpg

Clear glasses = placid and gentle.

• Thumbs Up 2

I tried my best to fix the uncanny valley effect from 06 Eggman, I think I didn't pull it off... but at least he doesn't look as horrifying as the versions from earlier posts:

post-3295-0-73249700-1322374837_thumb.jp

Personally I'm not happy with the way that Tracy draws Sally. He tends to give Sally "manface". Her facial features don't look like a girls anymore.

Snapshot_20111126.jpg

I'd like to see her return to looking more like her Satam counterpart.

Best:

Vector

OxsgK.png

I really like how this guy actually has different proportions and body shape

compared to the other characters. Most Sonic characters have the same

basic body type with small alterations. This guy actually looks more like his

species, but still fits in. More characters should be like Vector. Besides,

it's a crocodile wearing headphones. How cool is that? I also like his

current voice actor, really fits the design. Vector is awesome.

I was pleasantly suprised to see other people in this thread like him.

Sonic

Yeah, not much to say here. He hasn't always been great, but I really

like his current Unleashed/Colours/Generations model. Sonic has a simple

design that doesn't resemble his species too much, but for some reason

I really like it. Doesn't need too many accessories, but I appreciate the

variety in Sonic Riders. The SA2 stuff is just silly though. And clothes

on Sonic look silly.

Tails

Like Vector, Tails actually has a different body shape compared to

other characters. Of course, the difference isn't that big, but it is

very welcome. His colours are cool, and stand out from Sonic.

He has a cool muzzle and... yeah. He's pretty neat.

Honourable mention to Blaze the Cat. She's cool. Also Big, for

basically the same reason as Vector.

Undecided:

Sally

Yeah, I don't know what to say about Sally. I haven't watched the cartoons

or read the comics, so I think I've got a fairly unbiased viewpoint. The original

design has a freakishly large head, and later designs look better but she's

too humanlike.

I suppose the newer version is better, but it definitely needs

a lot of tweaking. The lack of clothes doesn't bother me. In fact, I think it's

stupid that the other female characters wear clothes. Except for Blaze,

because she's from an alternate dimension.

Worst:

Espio

Don't get me wrong, I like the whole ninja thing. Chameleons are good at

camoflauge, so clearly chameleons are ninjas. cool.png

However, he looks way too much like Sonic. I know there are clear differences,

but he just isn't different enough. He's a chameleon, he should be taller and

thinner, and his face being so close to Sonic's makes no sense. What's

with the Soniclike muzzle? What?

There's a lot of potential here, but

we're just left with this mediocre purple guy. Ehhhh.

EDIT: I forgot to add Rouge under the worst designs.

Every Characters Muzzle is just like Sonics, with different details based off the species.

Personally I'm not happy with the way that Tracy draws Sally. He tends to give Sally "manface". Her facial features don't look like a girls anymore.

Snapshot_20111126.jpg

I'd like to see her return to looking more like her Satam counterpart.

Man face? She looks like a female to me. Where is the "man" in Sally's face.

Edited by Dejablue

Worst Design... Honestly, I like them all so far, I have no complaints about it, specially now in this era of the series.

WAIT!!! I have one! EGGMAN!!! I really prefer Eggman's 2006 design but they had to go and return to the actual one...

Why couldn't they bring back Eggman 2006 in the next games? And show us more human characters? And even show us Eggman Nega as he'd be in Eggman 2006's style...

I have to say that when Sonic came out, his design was so captivating. When I was a kid, and still probably now, the characters which grabbed me were characters which were quite simple. I never really got into Mario until the Gameboy Colour came along, but Sonic was one that I really enjoyed just because of how expressive and interesting he looked.

Obviously there's also the fact that everything spawned from Eggman and Sonic, so you've gotta respect the roots. But Sonic is one that I really like because of what's been achieved from that level of simplicity that the original design (And the modern design now that he's seemingly been refined in Satsr onwards).

Worst would have to go to the Battle Kuku squad from Tails' Adventure just because I think they're so forgettable, and possibly to Silver. While I don't HATE the design, it just seems a bit weird to me.

Of course this is all just my opinion, I can see the appeal of the Kuku

Worst Design... Honestly, I like them all so far, I have no complaints about it, specially now in this era of the series.

WAIT!!! I have one! EGGMAN!!! I really prefer Eggman's 2006 design but they had to go and return to the actual one...

Why couldn't they bring back Eggman 2006 in the next games? And show us more human characters? And even show us Eggman Nega as he'd be in Eggman 2006's style...

Not gonna lie, 06 Eggman gave me nightmares and seriously he doesn't fit with the normal cartoony Sonic characters from all the games, only with the giant limbs monsters style from 06.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 4

Not gonna lie, 06 Eggman gave me nightmares and seriously, he doesn't fit with the normal cartoony Sonic characters from all the games only with the giant limbs monsters style from 06.

Well, not the opposite, but when I first saw Eggman 2006 I felt it weird but by the second sight a dream of mine related to Sonic Games had been made true, Eggman was more realistic, he was like a real human to me, even in personality. I really loved SA1&2 stories and kinda Shadow The Hedgehog because they had humans and were less cartoonish. By SA2's time I started to want to see Eggman drawn as a real human, not as a cartoonish one, but that's just one opinion of one that has been following the series since a little kid.

Not just the designs, SA1&2 and kinda ShTH stories were very interesting to me, they gave depth and diversity to Sonic's World, Sonic2006 too, despite how it ended as...

I definitily want more humans and more backstory in the games, and I'd really love to see human designs and profiles on Sonic Channel, like GUN Commander, Maria & Gerald, etc... And even Eggman'06 xD

Well, not the opposite, but when I first saw Eggman 2006 I felt it weird but by the second sight a dream of mine related to Sonic Games had been made true, Eggman was more realistic, he was like a real human to me, even in personality.

On the other hand, it does make the happy wise-cracking cartoon animals a little more jarring, no?

On the other hand, it does make the happy wise-cracking cartoon animals a little more jarring, no?

Sorry, I didn't get that one... Language barrier, I guess... Could you be more specific, please?

Also, I used to love the 2006 character designs as a whole but now I'm well used to the actual design and feel they are better like that, I even try to imagine how SA1&2 and Sonic'06 would be with Generations style and gameplay, but still with their great stories xD

Maybe this is what you were refering to?

And also, I don't like the idea of making Eggman be getting more comical and insane by each new game, even Generations showed a sample of it, Classic Eggman being nicely composed. In those 3 games I've been mentioning he always looked great.

Edited by XRick

Sorry, I didn't get that one... Language barrier, I guess... Could you be more specific, please?

Also, I used to love the 2006 character designs as a whole but now I'm well used to the actual design and feel they are better like that, I even try to imagine how SA1&2 and Sonic'06 would be with Generations style and gameplay, but still with their great stories xD

Maybe this is what you were refering to?

And also, I don't like the idea of making Eggman be getting more comical and insane by each new game, even Generations showed a sample of it, Classic Eggman being nicely composed. In those 3 games I've been mentioning he always looked great.

Soma means that Eggman looking too realistic makes the cartoon animal characters look out of place or worse... very creepy.

Being insane and comical doesn't stop a character from being a threatening villain, look at the joker, his name... his looks and his wardrobe are that of a silly clown, yet he does the most outrageous things.

Edited by Jesterbumon

I know, but it's just that since I saw SA2's finale I started to wish to have Eggman sometime later, maybe during ShTH's story, change sides and have some other antagonist, namely Eggman Nega or the like, take his place...

That's why I prefer him the way I stated before, it'd make his changing sides better. How'd that happen, they just could use his grandfather's backstory as a catalist to make him have a change of heart or something...

Well, I guess it's mostly fandom or whatever from my part xD

And unfortunaltely SEGA doesn't seem to be thinking anything of the like anytime soon T-T

'06 Eggman should really only be used if there is an Eggman game that doesn't or hardly involves furry creatures, usually something preferably serious of the nature ( for example a game that is like Metroid: Other M.)

Other than that, if you surround him with creatures that look like Sonic and co. you are going to have his design come off as out-of-place.

But SA1&2, ShTH & Sonic'06 all had humans and things didn't seem out of place, at least not to me...

Man, sorry for straying from the topic's main point...

I'd hate them reusing the 06 design of Eggman for anything. It was just ugly and takes away his most notable features.

• Thumbs Up 5

'06 Eggman has probably got my least favourite character design in the series. The cartoonish elements that they kept from his normal design clashed badly with the more realistic angle they were going for, so he ended up looking just as ridiculous as before but with none of the goofy charm. He resembles an awkward Eggman cosplayer more than anything.

If they really, really wanted to go the "realistic" route, they probably should have taken more liberties with the design than they did, at least when it comes to his costume. Like, say, giving him a jacket that doesn't look totally embarrassing on a normal-looking person (although the golden nipples were a liberty they took, so I don't even know). Honestly, I'm not even sure why they went to the trouble of redesigning Eggman for '06 in the first place. He barely even did anything in that game.