Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

It's just that I don't have any coloring stuff in home right now...

EDIT: I hope this is enough for you guys to get the idea...

eggmannega1.jpg

Edited by Christmas-Hedgehog

In an attempt to get back on topic, I'll just leave this nightmarish design for Lara-Su here.

Lara-Su_Promo.jpg

Ghastly, isn't it?

In all honesty, I'm not a big fan of ArchieVerse characters, so I don't really know what to say of that pic... wacko.png

I had an idea, months ago, of trying to import characters from there to the jap continuity, like it happened with Sonic Chronicles (which story at the least liked a bit, too bad it wasn't SOJ doing the job...) but now I'm no longer sure if that would be the best idea... Not bad, a bit good but not the best.

Edited by XRick

In an attempt to get back on topic, I'll just leave this nightmarish design for Lara-Su here.

Lara-Su_Promo.jpg

Ghastly, isn't it?

DEAR GOD.

It makes her look like some...I don't even know.

Edited by Christmas-Hedgehog

Lara-Su_Promo.jpg

Ghastly, isn't it?

I usually never liked the Archie characters and/or fancharacters habit of combining real hair with fur hair anyway, but this... this is one of those things were, when someone goes like "The comics get more things right than the games", I'm basically like "...No."

This ain't no comic adaptation, it's a live action thrill ride!

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Exactly. Her 3d CGI models from 06/Unleashed up felt odd to me. I think Heros actually made her 3D model look alittle smoother and abit more lively.

But overall ill stick with her 2D version for Modern, but Classic is probably up there for me in best for her.

Kinda unrelated, but I really, really despise her SASASR artwork. It's not the design so much, it's the expression of her face....ugh >_< She looks like she's stoned or something. Doesn't help that it's a "looking at the camera" view.

• 2 months later...

Lara-Su_Promo.jpg

Ghastly, isn't it?

If you guys think that was bad.....GET A LOAD OF THIS!

DimitriFR1.jpg

Can someone seriously tell me what the hell I'm looking at? From what I can gather it's Knuckles if he was 250 years old and had his body mutated into a some sort of Tron/RoboCop suit knockoff.

Edited by Zinos
  • Thumbs Up 5

At this point I think that we can all agree that Penders designs take the cake when it comes to "Worst Character" designs.

• Thumbs Up 5

DimitriFR1.jpg

Can someone seriously tell me what the hell I'm looking at? From what I can gather it's Knuckles if he was 250 years old and had his body mutated into a some sort of Tron/RoboCop suit knockoff.

No, you're wrong. It's God.

DimitriFR1.jpg

Wow. This thing is so bad I don't even know how to make fun of it.

Edit: Wait, that's an Echidna?!

Edited by Balding Spider

My favorite character designs have to be Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and knuckles.

Sonic: Not only does he looks sleek, but his looks match his personality. He looks cool, hip, and somewhat cocky.

Tails: Tails looks friendly, and kind. His look also somewhat fits his age, (of which he has many). Last but not least he is super cute.

Knuckles: Knuckles looks like a pal who you know has your back in a fit. He also looks like the kind of guy who is hot headed. (which he is)

Eggman: Eggman's design is great. He has that hint of evil genius mixed with an over-sized body which makes him look funny.

Worst character designs.

Silver: Okay... so we have sonic, Amy, shadow. Who do we make now. I KNOW! Another hedgehog.

Eggman nega: lets take eggman and recolor him.

Chip: I don't know whether he was suppose to be cute or not. But if he was, he totally fails. His color scheme and facial features don't work. If they wanted a cute flying sidekick why not just use a chao. (And i'm not talking omochao here)

That Lara-Su takes the cake. Too bad because I kind of liked her original design. :(

Looking at the games I never cared for Storm. design wise it comes down to the eyes, they give him this robotic look a'la Metal Sonic. Actually on closer inspection they seem to be black streaks that incase his actual eyes which are just really, really, beady. Still the effect is this perpetually menacing expression that can't be easy to break away from.

Worth noting I find his general character boring. He's has all the personality of Big the cat, and at least Big's got a catchy theme song that redeems his character a little to me.

Design I really like? Classic Tails hands down, and looking at the classic Tails in Generations I can offically say I perfer the deep orange he had in offical art to the modern's yellow. Kind of a nitpicky detail but, that yellow's just a dull color to me. Might be the lighting because I don't mind how Tails is colored in that shot from Sonic X in Two Tailed Fox's sig but, really dislike the brighter yellow in Generations

DimitriFR1.jpg

... I don't read much Archie comics... But...... Is that seriously a Sonic character, or an awkwardly human-like redesign as fan art? O_O

It's nowhere near the actual the comics, it just crappy fanfart hat some asshat is trying to pass off as original.

• Thumbs Up 2

Obviously Tails is the best designed character out of the lot. There's nothing more cute than...

105283862-260x260-0-0_Sonic+5+Sonic+X+Tails+Action+Figure+with+Accessori.jpgTailsEyesMB.jpg

AAAAH! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!!!

I have no idea why Tails action figures always end up looking so creepy. Maybe it's the Tails Doll...

Seriously though, I think Sonic is still the best designed character. He just looks like he's built for speed and he is generally cool looking. I also like how dynamic he looks, especially in the SA/SA2 illustrations.

The worst designed character in my opinion is Blaze. There's just something about her I can't stand. She just looks nowhere near as dynamic as Sonic does and I always hated playing as her in Sonic Rush just for that reason. She just seemed kind of stiff. :/

• 4 months later...

Maria1.png

I never liked how Maria and Gerald was designed in SA2 along with the other humans. They were hit quite hard with the uncanny valley stick (not as hard as the girl in the moon cutscene though). It's kinda wierd when mostly every other human in the game has some sort of generic western design and these two have an anime(ish) design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best is Sonic (both C. and M.), Knuckles (both C. and M.), Tails (both C. and M.), Marine, Shadow, Amy (only C.).

Worst: Archie, recolors and the rest, especialy everything 06 related.

Edited by Jango

When it comes to worst designs it would have to be the second outfit they gave Rouge the Bat in Sonic Heroes.

I'm sorry, but that outfit just looked so...TACKY. I'm definitely glad they decided to go back to the original outfit.

As for the best, I definitely would have to say Blaze the Cat.

I never thought they could make a Sonic Character (let alone a female one) look so badass.

They gave her a nice oufit with fur cuffs and ankles. She wears high heel shoes and is a fast runner (if that's not a feat in itself, I don't know what is). Her hair being pulled up was a smart thing to do. I believe if her hair was down, she would look too feminine.

And just everything about her brings elegance.

So there you go. My thoughts. Enjoy!