Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

I'll agree that "European Classic Sonic" isn't exactly a superb design. He probably looks his "Best" on the Sonic 3 box art, though it looks almost like it was drawn by one of the artists for Sonic the Comic (A style that I'm not too keen on, as everyone in the comic seems to look almost permanently angry). It seemed that whenever Europe got a Sonic box art of their own (as opposed to using the Japanese or American box arts) Sonic has been given a rather angry look to match, like Sonic 3 and Sonic 3D. I think the one exception is Labyrinth, which looks more like it was drawn by Takashi Yuda (or someone copying his style) as opposed to the NTSC box, which looks to be Uekawa drawn.

2ugz6ex.jpg

2ch6hyo.jpg

These pieces of artwork I like. If there were a series of Sonic games on the Saturn, this would be Saturn Sonic, ad for that reason, I see this version of Sonic as separate from Classic Sonic.

Best: Most of the classics like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy (I think her Classic design is cuter :3). I also think Shadow, Blaze and even Marine have great designs that don't look out of place in the Sonic universe.

As for the worst, well...most of the Archie characters, like Lara-Su and fecking manchidna up there. XP As for official ones...

Silver: I MUCH preferred his early designs with the short quills. The massive cannabis leaf shaped thing and huge furry chest just look silly to me.

Princess Elise: She counts, right? A so-called "realistic human" look, lacking personality...there's nothing I like about this character, nothing. =/

I love Espio's design, his shoes, horn,and just him!

I don't like Sally's design either, your right. She needs more than that vest!

Here's a design thing guys; am I going crazy, or have Vector's eye changed colour since his debut? I know his eyes used to be something of a vermillion, but I think nowadays they're more golden and hardly red at all.

This is what they were in Heroes;

Vector_2.png

And here he is since 2010;

Sonic-Free-Riders-Vector-artwork.png

tumblr_m1fkgm44KY1rrovc0o1_1280.png

Vector_Bios.png

qoU4Q.jpg

I like the golden tone better, but when did that happen?

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny_Lightfoot_nb.png

Um.... Johnny Lightfoot. lol wut? Bugs bunny plus sonic?

Cream is adorable though. I think she has an interesting design despite her ears being backwards.

Worst?

1gamespot.jpg

"By itself," he said, "pain is not always enough. There are occasions when a human being will stand out against pain, even to the point of death. But for everyone there is something unendurable — something that cannot be contemplated." - O'Brien, Nineteen Eighty-Four

• Thumbs Up 1

Worst?

1gamespot.jpg

sonic12uy1.jpg

Seriously, am I the only one who sees the resemblance?

sonic12uy1.jpg

Seriously, am I the only one who sees the resemblance?

Nope, I see it quite clear as well.

The worst would obviously go to Honey The Cat, They just copy and pasted her design from another game and turned her into a cat that's it.

The worst would obviously go to Honey The Cat, They just copy and pasted her design from another game and turned her into a cat that's it.

I don't know, I kind of like the design

Honey-true-model-super-honey-the-cat-26624473-447-382.png

I find the designs of Sonic's Wisp forms to be pretty cool;

wispforms.png

It's Morphic Resonance done very well, combining aspects of Sonic's design with the nature of the Colour Power. The eyes, ear-like and quill-like protrusions make them identifiably Sonic. Blue Cube form doesn't have 'quills' but does have yellow triangles in each upper corner which are clearly supposed to represent Sonic's inner ears (The tan part) whilst Violet Void form is just a creepy morphed version of Sonic's eyes and mouth. The forms are intended to be a fusion of Sonic and the Wisp and the designs get this across very well.

SatAM Robotnik epitomizes generic evil and yet he looks as if his designers were trying too hard to make him look evil at the same time;

CI_58744_1330515669.jpg

Red and black eyes? Check! Pointed shoulder pads? Check! Cape? Check! Cybernetic/Robotisized arm? Check! It just comes of as cheesy and this really dominates, diluting the evilness.

Believe it or not, that was sort of the idea behind her. She was only meant as a cameo, and got the axe before the game released.

My favorite character designs in the Sonic franchise were absolutely Mephiles and Sonic. My least favorite... Probably E-102 Gamma. I like Omega but... Gamma has appeared too early, him and Omega should have appeared at the same time. Oh, and just to let you know, Knuckles is my all-time favorite Sonic character.

Edited by Mephiles БЕИ

Dammit, I'm starting to like Pothead the Porcupine Silver's design. I find myself drawing him and his insane hairdo when I'm bored...

I remember when I first saw a piccie of Silver yonks ago, I thought it was the worst piece of design work I had ever seen. I assumed it was a bad fan character or hoax that had somehow become a rumour for Sonic '06... ugh..

I think it's Archie's fault. Bloody traitor and Secret Freedom Fighter stuff... get out of my head! biggrin.png

Edited by MamboCat

I love Shadow, ever since Sonic Adventure 2. But who I don't like is Cream... SO ANNOYING!

Edited by Black Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

The redesign hit Eggman like a tonne of bricks. He went from balloon like to oh god how do you stand. What happened?

A lot of the time Amy's quill hair looks like some kind of scalp that she's wearing over her own. This was really bad in 06.

Chipp looks the result of a character designer being asked to design "a little annoying thing".

Sally has a bad case of flounder face. By that I mean the perspective on her doesn't work. Also, uniboob, or worse.

For god sake's people, Shadow was supposed to be similar to Sonic's design!

Why does Shadow look like Sonic? No reason observed, unless you want to count GUN's apparent colorblindedness.

A lot of the time Amy's quill hair looks like some kind of scalp that she's wearing over her own. This was really bad in 06.

I get that it's meant to be a bob cut, but still.. yeah. Sometimes she looks dreadful.... also in Sonic X I thought her spikes looked more similar to Knuckles' than Sonic's... biggrin.png I preferred her Classic design.

Blaze's character design also confused me since she was revealed after Big. At the time I just assumed that was what cats look like in the Sonic universe... seeing as Knuckles and Tikal look similar, all the hedgehogs look similar... *shrug*

Have to say I kinda like Blaze's design, though.

Edited by MamboCat
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ifrit from Sonic Rivals 2 has this weird smile that makes him creepier than usual.

Eggman has the best design to me. The dictator jacket, odd black leggings, badass glasses and the 'STACHE OF LEGEND all make him look like a true villain and one of the few humans who truly looks Sonic. I also like it when he's drawn with the AoStH/SatAM black and red eyes. Speaking of which, AoStH Rrrrrrrrobotnik has a fantastic design. He looks threatening and pathetic at the same time.

I've always hated Rouge for not having the female Sonic character proportions. She's pretty much midget human from the neck down...

Sonic, Knuckles and Eggman's '06 designs depress me. But Omega looks perfect in that game...

• 3 weeks later...

Best character design IMO

Super Sonic Modern

170px-Super_Sonic.png

WORST character design IMO

(Pothead the Porcupine)

Silver_hedgehog.png

"It's no use!"

My best design vote goes to Shadow.

My worst design vote goes to Cream the Rabbit.

My absolute abomination vote goes to Silver.

I don't know how to post pictures yet and I could care less, but if I did I would post the worst Silver picture I could find and remind anyone who happens to like him (which is hopefully no one here) of '06 and the worst character design in Sonic history.

Edited by UltDevilDoom

Rouge has the best design, because boobs always win.

Everyone else has the worst design, because no one else has EPIC TITS like Rouge.

So, in summary, all characters should be junked except Rouge.

• Thumbs Up 1