Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

AoSTH had characters that simply looked like cheap rip offs. Check out the size of her feet, hands and torso, her neck and and very creepy face.

Sonic_and_breezie.jpg

.......anthro Jessica Rabbit?...........and hedgehog Conker? *awesome face*

In contrast with Sonic '06's realistic approach, I'm glad everything turned cartoony in Unleashed onwards. It makes me wonder what Elise would look like... Then again, if we do see humans in Generations, I'd love to see the design approach to humans there.

In any case.

BEST: Eggman. You know he can be threatening, but you know you can't take him seriously. As bad as '06 was, his design was creepy and the humour was gone. An okay contrast, but I love the super smart goofball instead.

RUNNER-UP: Classic Sonic for Generations. A perfect amalgamation of both Genesis Sonics from Japan and the US. Not to mention freaking adorable when shuffling. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhbRr7OTfY] Then again, it's fun comparing both Classic Sonic and Modern to see how much they changed.

WORST: Hands down? Whatever everybody turned into in Sonic '06. Realism doesn't work all that well.

Best: Sonic

I always liked Sonic design (all but 06), of course he is the base for the design of other characters and sometimes Sega relys way to much on him *coughShadowcough*.

But yeah, when I was little and where in a store choosing a game, Sonic always jumped in front of my eyes in the middle of many game covers.

He has those white gloves that all cartoony characters have (wich ive grown up with like Bugs Bunny and Mickey) and hes shoes have a very cool design and are also iconic of course (as well based on Michael Jackson album Bad).

Sonic is also a reason I buy the games and merchandise, I really like the character himself (not furry/gay/those kinds of crap!)

I really cant think about many other things right now lol.

Worst:Charmy

qaE5Z.jpg

Yeah, for me he really doesnt fit with the others, maybe its because hes a bug... I dont know.

Oh yeah, he looks more like a monkey than a bee.

• Thumbs Up 1

Worst design: I am a SegaSonic fan and to me, Sally Acorn is this. I don't hate Sally, but her design seems very bland and not sonic like, the same could be said for Bunnie, but she can easily be redrawn into Uekawa's style without a problem. But Sally, her facial markings and color scheme makes it hard to redesign her into SegaSonic character.

This a very SegaSonic revamp of Sally http://browse.devian...corn+SA#/dty7a6 except it doesn't really resemble the Sally everyone knows.

Check out this Sally redesign. It's one of my favorites.

http://browse.devian...+Acorn#/d1evcuh

Best: I like Japanese original Sonic design alot. Miles (distance, not the fox) better than the American version. I also think Metal Sonic and E-102 are fantastically designed robots.

Worst: Sonic CD Amy's clothes just make my eyes bleed. Also, Shade looks really stupid, and a lot of the new badniks and robots seem really uninspired. And does anyone else think that Sonic's smile on some of the newer games look really stupid? They should have kept using 2D art for the boxes.

Thought of another worst design; Grand Kukku XVI aka Speedy (specifically, Yardley's design).

...Actually, this one's a little more complex, as it's less to do with the design in general and more about the difference in interpretation. For the record, this is Archie!Speedy;

250px-Speedy001.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from that snippet, but he's basically Jet but altered, in both design and personality.

This is game!Speedy;

250px-Speedy01.jpg

I don't doubt that I'm in a minority, but I just don't see Jet at all in Speedy's game design. Don't get me wrong; I ADORE Yardley, he's my favourite Sonic comic artist, but I do feel he dropped the ball on making Speedy relevant and fitting for the modern Archie Sonic events. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Best: Shadow. (shut up) I like his design, and his shoes.

Worst: Silver. It's already been said, but his head looks like a damn potleaf.

I think Shade looks really cool and original when she has her mask/helmet on. Without it though, meh, she looks pretty generic.

In terms of the character concepts themselves rather than visuals...

...Shadow is a double edged sword...in a way I dislike the idea that another character has all the same abilities as Sonic yet doesn't age...making him possibly better in a way? But shadow was great in Sonic Adventure 2 and brought some unique elements to the table with regard to his abilities and the storylines. Visually he does look great.

I know so far it seems to be suggested that it wont be happening, but I hope that some of the forgotten classic characters like Mighty, Ray, Bark, Bean, and Fang/Nack will get brought back for an appearance in Sonic Generations or maybe even future games?

I was kinda hoping that we would see modernised versions of them and in a reverse sense that we would see "classic-ified" version of modern characters like Shadow and Rouge...that would have been very interesting to me.

Shade looks like she has an oversized head with the helmet on. I's most prevalent on the box art;

The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

Without it, she looks like a bad Echidna fancharacter.

Never had the fortune to play chronicles...but from what I've seen/read, Shade looks great.

Not sure if one would call it a fortune.

Never had the misfortune to play chronicles...

Fixed!

(ok, it's not that bad, but you aren't missing much).

Fixed!

(ok, it's not that bad, but you aren't missing much).

I will be honest though, it did have some kick ass music.

I'm dying a little in the inside because of that....

and in a reverse sense that we would see "classic-ified" version of modern characters like Shadow and Rouge..

I don't think it would make sense to see a classic style version of shadow since he doesn't age. It'd make sense for the other characters but not him.

• 1 month later...

I just realised there are 3 green birds related to the Sonic universe in some way. Haw. Nic the Weasel is Nack with breasts and eyelashes.

Edited by Dejablue

I just realised there are 3 green birds related to the Sonic universe in some way. Haw.

That's nothing.

I didn't realize it until I colored in Jet a few weeks ago, but all 3 Birds Jet, Jolt and Bean, all have Blue eyes.

Jet's and Jolts are probably Blue for a reason (same reason for Scourge to share the same color scheme actually) but Green w/ Blue eyes is getting a bit spammy.

I'm with everyone else who says Bernie looks like Sonic in Drag. Somehow her design morphed into that and its kind of creepy. I remember reading somewhere that Rotor's family is also pretty offensively clone like. They all look like Rotor but wear different hats so you can tell them apart.

I'm with everyone else who says Bernie looks like Sonic in Drag. Somehow her design morphed into that and its kind of creepy. I remember reading somewhere that Rotor's family is also pretty offensively clone like. They all look like Rotor but wear different hats so you can tell them apart.

That's not even starting on the Echidnas and their blatant copying of Knuckles.

Hurr Hurr Pothead the Porcupine.

No, but seriously, I don't hate Silver, but I don't know where they thought they were going with his design.

And Rouge. What the fuck.

As for best, I'd say Sonic and Tails. Nothing flashy, just a basic design characterizing the animal they're based off.

And Rouge. What the fuck.

Yes, I'd definitely like to fuck that...wait, wha?

Eh, best design...

Blaze?

Can't say I have a worst because I honestly can't look at things that way very easily. I could look at Silver and not bat an eye, although I'd still make some pothead jokes. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 2