Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

I didn't realize it until I colored in Jet a few weeks ago, but all 3 Birds Jet, Jolt and Bean, all have Blue eyes.

Mephiles, obviously. The black/crystal look did have an appeal, and if he was some sort of shapeshifter (eg: Mephiles-Shadow one part, then Mephiles-Knuckles later, etc etc), it might have not been as bad. But alas, he comes off as - yes - a Shadow recolour, and the whole "copy your shadow" part only feels more like an excuse.

Also, Scourge. And a lot of other Archie-specific characters. But mostly Scourge. He was (slightly) better when he was just Evil Sonic/Anti Sonic/Grease Sonic, because he looked exactly like Sonic... but evil (and in leather, strangely). Once he turned green however, combined with his already infamous clothing, he looks the most fancharacter-ish an official character can get. And unlike cake stealing, that really is terrible. When it gets to the point where some fancharacters actually do look better than an official character, you know times are tough.

Black Doom's half and half. He looks like a generic Halo reject, but I like the Wizeman-esque body structure.

A token mention for Silver and his unfortunate ganja-reminiscent hairstyle. He should have just said no.

I can understand the complaints about Shade and the rest of the Nocturnous echidnas, but I don't have any major problems with them for the most part.

Every other fashion nightmare I come across is thankfully only fanmade.

And Rouge. What the fuck.

Yes, I'd definitely like to fuck that...wait, wha?

Hmmm...I think I'll quote this in my sig >=D

• Thumbs Up 1

The designs of Sonic, Tails and Eggman used on the American boxart of the Mega Drive games are definately the worst in the franchise.

I do like a lot of the character designs, even if I don't like the character very much (such as Amy).

As for worst.....I dunnno this is pretty irrelevant and not at all what the topic is asking for but I think when the archie comics try to add in some of the female sonic character from the games next to their own it looks pretty bad. This is simply due to the fact that archie designed females have hair whereas game designed females don't. I think Rouge in particular suffers from this.

It's also kind of a pet peeve of mine when designs have all the girls with hair and boys without (as much as I love Lackadaisy, this is one thing about the characters I don't like)

It's also kind of a pet peeve of mine when designs have all the girls with hair and boys without (as much as I love Lackadaisy, this is one thing about the characters I don't like)

This irritates me to no end and is something I actively avoid while drawing.

I like to call that "Minnie Mouse syndrome", throwing a feminine trait on anther character and calling them new. Its such a lazy design and clashes with the rest of the art style, and its especially relevant in Archie like you said.

I kind of don't mind it on the mammals, but reptile females having hair weirds me out no end (I'm looking at you both Archie and StC).

What reptile girl has hair in the Archie comics? I can't think of anybody at the moment.. Edit: Oh yeah, Espio's daughter. Yeah, that did look weird.

But, yeah, I agree. I wish characters like Sally's hair would be more like Rouges, as in there but not separate from the fur.

Edited by MarcelloF

What reptile girl has hair in the Archie comics? I can't think of anybody at the moment..

But, yeah, I agree. I wish characters like Sally's hair would be more like Rouges, as in there but not separate from the fur.

Something more like this?

Sonic__SA_Sally_by_darkburraki.png

Only two characters in the game universe have ever had hair that's clearly separate from the rest of their fur- Chip and Vanilla, both of whom still have simple hair styles. I'll agree with the notion that it looks terrible on all those comic/TV show characters.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

What reptile girl has hair in the Archie comics? I can't think of anybody at the moment.. Edit: Oh yeah, Espio's daughter. Yeah, that did look weird.

Espio has a daughter? When was this?

Something more like this?

http://fc07.devianta...darkburraki.png

Only two characters in the game universe have ever had hair that's clearly separate from the rest of their fur- Chip and Vanilla, both of whom still have simple hair styles. I'll agree with the notion that it looks terrible on all those comic/TV show characters.

Pretty much. Though a bit smaller. That's really poofy. laugh.pngEdit: The more I look at it, the more I like it as it is >_> It does look a lot more like the games, though. I like it much more than her real design. It would be cool if once Sally get's deroboticized, they change her design a bit.

Espio has a daughter? When was this?

One of the X Years Later. I think she made out with Lien-Da's(Hope I got the name right.) son. If I remember correctly, her name's Juanita.

Edit: It's Salma. Juanita is his other daughter:

Rutan_Salma.png

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Salma

Edited by MarcelloF

I always liked the design of Bark the Polar Bear, with his cap, mitts and such.

However, Ray the Squirriel looks like a pretty cruddy Tails knockoff

Actually it would be the other way around in terms of first appearence/seniority, because Ray came first (albeit Tails looks like a not so bad knockoff of Ray) :P

I'd probably be able to stomach the reptile hair if it was at least simple, but that's got to be the most detailed, realistic hair I've ever seen on a Sonic character. Eww.

I'd probably be able to stomach the reptile hair if it was at least simple, but that's got to be the most detailed, realistic hair I've ever seen on a Sonic character. Eww.

• Thumbs Up 1

That kinda falls on the individual artist.

Now if you want to see a Mobian with detailed hair when the artists really lets loose, you need to look no farther than Mina.

Totally agree with the female hair thing. Archie-designed females look like they scalped a human woman then put her barnet atop their heads. Realistic hair on a female Sonic character is a huge design no-no. Even Marine's pigtails aren't defined as being seperate hair from her fur.

It proves that Archie have no grasp at all of Sonic character design. They also wouldn't know originality if it struck them in the head sideways with certain female characters looking extremely creepy because Archie can't give them a distinct design. For a very good example of this, look no further than Bernie (Sonic's mom) and Nic (Fang's sister)

• Thumbs Up 1

Nicole it works with, I think. Maybe it's because her fur goes to black in other places, too. But, yeah, I actually like her design.

I wonder how Mina would look in the usual SEGA style. I like the mix of purple and yellow, but I dunno how that would be done with not having hair and fur separate.

Verte:

Vanilla.png

tongue.png

Also, I just noticed she has somewhat of a neck.

:o

Edited by MarcelloF

408466-61935-nicole_large.jpg

Just saying...

Separate hair from her fur? Check!

Toes when the character design standard stipulates that they have none? Check!

Voluptuous frame and overall musculature when female Sonic characters still have undefined musculature and limbs more akin to spaghettti? Check!

I like Nicole, but her design is still very distinct from the SEGA females. She also looks like a fancharacter.

As for Vanilla, that is certainly NOT a full head of human-esque hair. It's just her head marking growing tufty with a bit of fur. She has a marking identical to her daughter's on her head and clearly it sprouted a bit of fur with age.

• Thumbs Up 1