Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

Separate hair from her fur? Check!

Toes when the character design standard stipulates that they have none? Check!

Voluptuous frame and overall musculature when female Sonic characters still have undefined musculature and limbs more akin to spaghettti? Check!

I like Nicole, but her design is still very distinct from the SEGA females. She also looks like a fancharacter.

Seeing as she designed herself to her own liking, she is sort of a in-universe fan character xD

As for Vanilla, that is certainly NOT a full head of human-esque hair. It's just her head marking growing tufty with a bit of fur. She has a marking identical to her daughter's on her head and clearly it sprouted a bit of fur with age.

So then why can't that happen to more of an extent with other characters? In her own design it clearly is separated from the rest of her head, so why can't that happen with others? I don't think it looks all that good on a lot of character and prefer it like I said earlier, but why can't a spot of different colored fur be allowed grow out to look like hair like it did here?

Although it was actually partly a joke when I posted it.. xD

So then why can't that happen to more of an extent with other characters? In her own design it clearly is separated from the rest of her head, so why can't that happen with others? I don't think it looks all that good on a lot of character and prefer it like I said earlier, but why can't a spot of different colored fur be allowed grow out to look like hair like it did here?

I personally thought that Vanilla's head marking spouting a bit of fur is an allusion to her maturity and age. No doubt if Cream was ever depicted in-series as being older, her cute little head marking will in all likelihood spout some fur like her mom's whilst those little tufts at the bottom of the back of her head will look 'rougher'

Pachacamac was a curious case, having a very furry muzzle. Looks like something only old Echidna's would get.

I don't have any strong feelings for or against the full-on wig look that Archie tends to use, but I'd prefer that over how the games do it. What they usually do is treat "hair" the same as Sonic's spikes...but hair isn't spikes. Spikes are stiffer, more solid, "meatier". Like, I like Blaze's design for the most part, but her "hair" is just fucking weird, since they insist on treating it like something more solid. It doesn't necessarily need to be separate in color or linework, but it should be treated as hair.

I don't have any strong feelings for or against the full-on wig look that Archie tends to use, but I'd prefer that over how the games do it. What they usually do is treat "hair" the same as Sonic's spikes...but hair isn't spikes. Spikes are stiffer, more solid, "meatier". Like, I like Blaze's design for the most part, but her "hair" is just fucking weird, since they insist on treating it like something more solid. It doesn't necessarily need to be separate in color or linework, but it should be treated as hair.

I think its meant to be a Pony tail.

One of the X Years Later. I think she made out with Lien-Da's(Hope I got the name right.) son. If I remember correctly, her name's Juanita.

Edit: It's Salma. Juanita is his other daughter:

Rutan_Salma.png

http://archiesonic.w....com/wiki/Salma

God this is awkward to watch, especially since they look similar to Knuckles & Espio.

But yeah, this is pretty much the epitome of Archie's laziness.

Need a new female character? Let's take an existing male one, slap some feminine hair on it, give her a voluptuous human shaped body. Bam, new character. Genius.

• Thumbs Up 1

God this is awkward to watch, especially since they look similar to Knuckles & Espio.

But yeah, this is pretty much the epitome of Archie's laziness.

Need a new female character? Let's take an existing male one, slap some feminine hair on it, give her a voluptuous human shaped body. Bam, new character. Genius.

You haven't seen Nic have you?

NicWeasel.png

I don't know who looks creepier. Her or Bernadette;

Bernadette_Hedgehog.jpg

Looks like Sonic with a blonde toupee, purple dress, boobies, blue contact lenses and longer lashes.

Edited by Verte

that be one of the reasons I kinda stopped reading the comics after the simple times, cause of some very repetetive character designs like with the majority of Echidna's, plus some artist who kept making characters too humanoid and.....not Sonic like at all. Didn't came back till Yardley came along.

You haven't seen Nic have you?

NicWeasel.png

I don't know who looks creepier. Her or Bernadette;

Bernadette_Hedgehog.jpg

Looks like Sonic with a blonde toupee, purple dress, boobies, blue contact lenses and longer lashes.

To be fair, the comic has gotten better ever since Yardley joined, and aside from the characters based on existing species(Hedgehogs, Foxes, Echidnas, etc.) the mostly look like the game cast....aside from the hair thing, that's still a problem.

On Amy:

Had I been asked a few years ago, I have definitely said Modern Amy was much better. But nowadays, it's definitely classic. I dunno, I just think she looks alot cuter and she doesn't have such ugly clothes. Changing them would make me like her new design a lot more, heck, I prefer her Riders design by a larger margin, but not as much as classic.

I agree...I do like her Riders alot. Even the Olympics. But here is the thing on Amy. Is it me... or are the "drawn" make her look better? I mean, the Sonic Advance design, drawn from Archie or even Sonic X....but when I see a 3D Model of her in a game... just seems so bubbly and weirder to me.

I agree...I do like her Riders alot. Even the Olympics. But here is the thing on Amy. Is it me... or are the "drawn" make her look better? I mean, the Sonic Advance design, drawn from Archie or even Sonic X....but when I see a 3D Model of her in a game... just seems so bubbly and weirder to me.

You're trying to say that you like her 2D artwork/sprites/animation more than 3D/CGI rendered artwork/animation, right?

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFan

Exactly. Her 3d CGI models from 06/Unleashed up felt odd to me. I think Heros actually made her 3D model look alittle smoother and abit more lively.

But overall ill stick with her 2D version for Modern, but Classic is probably up there for me in best for her.

Sonic- Unleashed/Colors/ Generations seems to be my fav for design. Worst for him was 06, same goes for Eggman in that section, hated his more "realistic" look in 06.

Judging from my name, and sig, I am a huge fan of Rouge. I read some comments back where someone mistaken her for bald. Just cause she doesnt show "hair" means shes bald I mean... shes an animal. Shes got to have fur. Shes a bat XD A bat with years pretty much.. but she does have that "short hair" style if shown from the back. I just love her design overall, guess it reminds me of...well me in real life XD

Cowboy Knuckles... might be the worst design of Knuckles for me. Great concept, oddly drawn and weird in that movie.

I don't really like Cream's design either, her mother erg.... -_-;

Blaze is probably one of my fav designs of the modern era (post 06 and on) I actually don't mind her "ponytail" that people are complaining about o.o; I think it would look odder if it was down.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think its meant to be a Pony tail.

I think it's some kind of crown. Those "hairs" look more like feathers. Compare them to Jet's feathers and you may see my point.

I don't really see a problem in Vanilla's tuft of hair, though it does look seperate, it also seems like it could be natural for an animal to have something like that, same goes for chip (though to a lesser extent)

As for Archie characters, they're designs mostly irk me, it's like their trying to purposefully fill their comic with furry bait, they're cartoon animals, we don't need every aspect of them emphasized to give them an odd human structure, the overall cartoonish approach that sonic team takes is leagues better than what they've been doing

I hope you guys know it usually depends on the artist when it comes to those features, people like Steven Butler tends to do that a lot, while others like Tracey and Bates don't and keep them looking in a normal state.

For instance, here is Steven Butler

SallyAcorn02.png

Everyone's problem with the characters is right here I imagine?

Now here is Tracey Yardley

200px-Sally_Acorn_Yardley.jpg

His artwork makes her look a lot like she is from a cartoon, which I like.

And now Ben Bates

Sally_Acorn1_001.jpg3

I really like this one, it makes her almost look like a character from a Sega game.

Edited by Soniman032-
  • Thumbs Up 3

Indeed, it depends really on the artist who draw them. Bates comes the closest to giving that traditional cartoony Sonic feel.

• Thumbs Up 2

You can tell which artists are used to penciling for cape comics when they give female characters super model proportions out of nowhere, when they've always looked like slightly taller slightly more humanized care bears before.

And then they do that to Sally and ugh. I hated super model Sally. I prefer the Yardley/Bates approach.

Also just like Sally, Nicole's design can easily be manipulated to work better for games. But I'm having a hard time understanding why making them look JUST LIKE Sega-verse characters is that important Since they'll never be in the games. Their frames don't differ much from Rouge's who has a thicker more human body than any of the Sega only characters. All you'd need to do is noddlize Nicole and Sally's arms and you'd be good to go.

Edited by Dejablue

You can tell which artists are used to penciling for cape comics when they give female characters super model proportions out of nowhere, when they've always looked like slightly taller slightly more humanized care bears before.

And then they do that to Sally and ugh. I hated super model Sally. I prefer the Yardley/Bates approach.

Also just like Sally, Nicole's design can easily be manipulated to work better for games. But I'm having a hard time understanding why making them look JUST LIKE Sega-verse characters is that important Since they'll never be in the games. Their frames don't differ much from Rouge's who has a thicker more human body than any of the Sega only characters. All you'd need to do is noddlize Nicole and Sally's arms and you'd be good to go.

I think its the fact that all Sonic characters (the animals anyway) must have some form of the traditional "muzzle" shape for their mouths, the Rouges may have beaks but it's still in muzzle form hell even Charmy has one of them. I imagine characters who break that mold arent considered very Sonic-like.

Oh, people are talking about Archie now? I only ever read one issue, but I have to say I think Sonic's design looks a bit wei-

*Sees pictures of Sonic in a drag, Espio with hair making love to Knuckles with metal stuck on his dreads, supermodel Sally, Fang with tits, and more*

If you need me, I'll be at Wal-Mart. I used up my last bit of brain bleach when I saw Robotnik in a bikini.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 6

*scrolls down page*

Goddammit Archie

Their comics ARE truly the equivalent of published fanfic.

Anyway, aside from those monstrosities, we can all agree, 06 Eggs is terrifying. I'm sure that's been pointed out many times, but seriously.

tumblr_ltt30nFPFI1qea6k0o1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1322445502&Signature=C7oXCivvHL0Uhfl6xJO%2B1ydecaA%3D

Jesus christ how horrifying

Edited by Jolly Jacky
  • Thumbs Up 3

bernie4.gif This is what Bernie used to look like. I'm sure a lot of you would still baww over this design. But its far better than how she looks these days.

EDIT: Oh God Creepy Pasta Eggman!

Edited by Dejablue

Their comics ARE truly the equivalent of published fanfic.

I still think it's just Archie's worst of worst, hell, most of those designs were way back in the Penders days (ie all of them except one), and really isnt all that relevant today given that they tonned down the recoloring and the overly detailed, human like designs.

And it isnt like Sega's track record is squeaky clean as well

Edited by Sonimas032

Anyway, aside from those monstrosities, we can all agree, 06 Eggs is terrifying. I'm sure that's been pointed out many times, but seriously.

tumblr_ltt30nFPFI1qea6k0o1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1322445502&Signature=C7oXCivvHL0Uhfl6xJO%2B1ydecaA%3D

Jesus christ how horrifying

Ohly crap, he does have blue eyes... and they make him look absolutely psychotic!

What also gets me about Archie is their glaring inconsistency when it comes to characters of the same species, specifically design. Compare;

Koala's Barby and Abby;

barby.pngabby.png

Armadillo's Mighty and Arlo;

mighty.pngarlo.png

Platypuses Bill and Penelope

bill.pngpenelope.png

I know there's far more than that, such as massive fundamental design differences between cats such as Hershey, Hathor, Blaze and Sasha. Rabbits like Downtown Ebony Hare, the Enchantress and Bunnie and even foxes such as...um...Foxy (Ebony Hare's squeeze) and other foxes.

• Thumbs Up 3