Awoo.

I seriously think it's time for a *true* reboot.

Dummy Bear

Sonic has become the butt of every gaming related joke nowadays and it seems like no matter what Sega does, that stench just won't go away. When people think of Sonic the Hedgehog these days they think of "shitty friends" and "shitty gimmicks". I think after Sonic Generations is released, Sega should shelve Sonic for a few years and bring him back in a full on reboot set in a brand new universe with a brand new artstyle(something cartoony instead of "extreme" like the modernverse), brand new personalities, and brand new worlds. Just give Sonic a clean slate to work with and then work from there.

As much as people here are against the idea, the current universe just isn't working anymore. It's just one big mess and I'm not talking just about continuity either. A reboot did wonders for Mortal Kombat and the Batman movies.

A reboot did wonders for Mortal Kombat and the Batman movies.
Didn't do too well for Crash or Spyro, as I remember.

They leave Sonic alone for a few years, people are just going to stop caring.

• Thumbs Up 6

Didn't do too well for Crash or Spyro, as I remember.

They leave Sonic alone for a few years, people are just going to stop caring.

Crash of the Titans wasn't exactly a real reboot persay. It was something more akin to the Sonic Adventure redesign.

As for Spyro, I heard the Legends games did *okay*.

It has in a subtle way with Unleashed and Colors. Anyway, just give the general public time. They'll come around once Sonic games receive consistent 9's and 10's again. You can't just pull the plug for every fault the series has. The memories of the series are still there, so there's no point.

Besides, reboots are too trendy. -_-

Sonic has become the butt of every gaming related joke nowadays and it seems like no matter what Sega does, that stench just won't go away. When people think of Sonic the Hedgehog these days they think of "shitty friends" and "shitty gimmicks". I think after Sonic Generations is released, Sega should shelve Sonic for a few years and bring him back in a full on reboot set in a brand new universe with a brand new artstyle(something cartoony instead of "extreme" like the modernverse), brand new personalities, and brand new worlds. Just give Sonic a clean slate to work with and then work from there.

As much as people here are against the idea, the current universe just isn't working anymore. It's just one big mess and I'm not talking just about continuity either. A reboot did wonders for Mortal Kombat and the Batman movies.

They do that, and the whole company goes under. Just puttin' that out there.

And also, no. rebooting is a bad idea. On one hand, that would be letting the naysayers "win," and on the other, the same people who complained about the old Sonic universe would complain about the new one as well, begging for the old one back.

Can't win either way.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 8

Not gonna happen.

You think it's bad now, a reboot isn't going to do jackshit but send the hate in reverse from the fans and non-fans or, at it's worst, make the franchise look terrible to fans and the gaming community alike.

A reboot isn't a magical fix everything button, and you'd be a fool to look at it like that in any way. You want a better idea how to solve the problem regarding "shitty friends" and "shitty gimmicks"? How about they FIX THIS SHIT by doing things better next time?

They did that already with Sonic Colors, but people are still complaining.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last I checked, the series was actually getting some ground back thanks to the likes of Colours and Generations. I don't know who you think you're speaking for, but it doesn't ring true as much as you would probably like it to.

Besides, even IF the OP was somehow right, they could always improve the franchise's rep by... oh I dunno, making good games? Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

When even /v/ can almost unanimously agree that Colors was something between decent and good and that Generations looks fantastic, no, it's not time for a reboot.

A few shitty games does not mean a series needs a reboot, it means it needs less shitty games. Sonic's heading in that direction now.

• Thumbs Up 1

They did that already with Sonic Colors, but people are still complaining.

Because one decent game doesn't fix 2-3 bad ones that preceded it.

They still have a long way to go, and this stuff doesn't get better over one game.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't want a reboot... I'd rather not lose all the plot we have so far. I like what happened with the Death egg, and Chaos, and the ark, and Metal Sonic's history.... yeah... I do NOT want another universe to clash with this one. Ugh, I allready am sick of the comic universe.

At most I would accept a very different spinoff game like.... Paper Sonic? Any takers?

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh for the love of--

No!

Rebooting Sonic will NOT give him a clean slate. I'm sorry, but you can't just cause Chaos Control, go back in time, and fix everything. A reboot will not make it so that Sonic 2006 and whatever other bad games didn't happen. A reboot will not suddenly make SEGA a massively better company. And I think a part of me died a little inside when you said they should give the characters new personalities.

If you're going to do that - and change everything else, like environments, style, everything - then why still call it Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of Sega trying to cater to cynical assholes who will never be satisfied anyway. An entire continuity reboot done only in response to the NeoGAF types who tote around Sonic cycles like they're hot shit? Absolutely not.

NeoGAF needs a reboot.

Just saiyan.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh for the love of--

No!

Rebooting Sonic will NOT give him a clean slate. I'm sorry, but you can't just cause Chaos Control, go back in time, and fix everything. A reboot will not make it so that Sonic 2006 and whatever other bad games didn't happen. A reboot will not suddenly make SEGA a massively better company. And I think a part of me died a little inside when you said they should give the characters new personalities.

If you're going to do that - and change everything else, like environments, style, everything - then why still call it Sonic?

No, I do not expect a reboot to magically make Sonic 06 or Black Knight or Shadow the Hedgehog go away, but I just think a reboot would spark new interest and hype to the series. Something that'll take the series into a newer, possibly brighter future. I just want something that'll make people think "this isn't THAT Sonic the Hedgehog" and I'm gonna be honest, I'm actually getting a little tired of the current continuity a little.

And what exactly makes you think that's not what some people will still think even after a 5-odd year break and an overhaul that only superficially resembles what the franchise was originally about? If anything that's just taking the pussy way out and proving a case in point for them. I really, really fail to see why Sonic should be expected to cater to a small group of people that by every reasonable indication will find something to bitch about no matter which direction the franchise takes anyway, so the next best thing is really just let them whine in their little hole and just keep making games that are in some form objectively good games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm how about NO.

A reboot is a horrible idea and would acheive nothing positive. Reboot =/= making a series better.

The only thing it would serve to do is to piss off and alienate the fans of the series into leaving the fandom. I know I for one would say fuck off and quit being a fan if they decided to give us the big middle finger and change Sonic so dramatically.

seriously have no idea why some people are always calling for hairbrained reboot ideas. Just cuz it's popular in Hollywood at the moment does not make it good for a game series that's all about the history. Look at Sonic Generations, a prime example of how much Sonic history and backstory means to people. This game is making everyone wet their pants in anticipation and the reason is because it's filled to the brim with cool Sonic history.

What purpose would a reboot honestly fill?

@Slash. And do you really care what other people think of Sonic? Sure in recent years the series has become the butt of some joke.....who the fuck cares?! Are you really that insecure that you care about what some whinny critics and gamers that think anything other than a FPS is utter shit think?

If you like the Sonic series then like the Soinic series. Just cuz others don't doesn't cheapen it in any way. Although I'm doubting you even like the series as why would you want to change characters personalities and the style of the series? If you want something so completely different to Sonic why not go be a part of some other series instead?

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 9

I think what you want is something complete detached from everything Sonic has ever been, with a fresh coat of Sonic-colored paint splashed over it, because that is what you're describing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think what you want is something complete detached from everything Sonic has ever been, with a fresh coat of Sonic-colored paint splashed over it, because that is what you're describing.

He/she should just buy the Sonic skin pack for LBP and play that then.

In all honesty, I actually have no idea what I want. I might be suffering from the "try to please everyone" disease.

I guess I just want the franchise to be respectable again so I can stop being embarassed of being a Sonic fan on other forums. sad.png

sigh, bottom line: A reboot won't fix 3D gameplay. It's going through some weird stuff right now, and putting a different face on it won't help anyone.

The gameplay's not the problem.
Not according to the very same haters that you constantly refer to. Unless they're the kind of people still stuck using dated 5-year-old fandom cliches and haven't actually played a Sonic game since '06, but y'know, what credibility do they have?

And honestly? If you're actually trying to imply that Sonic's image can be improved without some gameplay alterations, you're only fooling yourself. A "clean slate" will amount to precicely dick if people aren't enjoying it as a game in the process.

• Thumbs Up 1