Awoo.

The Kingdom Hearts Series: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 ANNOUNCED! STAR WARS POTENTIALLY TEASED (page 175)

KHCast

That's my bad. I hadn't looked into it when I saw it earlier.

If nothing else - all these Switch Cloud Demo's are excellent demonstrations for gamers not familiar with the series to push them towards buying the MUCH cheaper physical copies on PS4/Xbox/PC. 

I have played multiple cloud game demos now - all terrible because of course they are (the service I should stress, not the games) we just ain't there yet where it can offer the same experience as a digital download or physical disk. That being said, the titles I played all convinced me the games were great... and that I should purchase them elsewhere. 

But I agree with the overall sentiment shared here. There is no excuse for this series not to be physical or at least Digital Download on Switch (bar some significant downgrades on Fragmentary Passage and III). If the FFX HD Remaster compilation exists, the FFXII HD Zodiac is on Switch - Then KHI and II can run on switch. Hell, KH DDD is on 3DS, so the upgrade can certainly run on switch. 

It's ultimately just unfortunate (I wouldn't say it's lazy - just poor upper management decisions) that they won't commit any staff or work with outside studios to port these across properly. The portability aspect to owning these games is such a massive draw for seasoned players, but mainly for Nintendo only players that already have limited access to this series overall. 

4 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

If nothing else - all these Switch Cloud Demo's are excellent demonstrations for gamers not familiar with the series to push them towards buying the MUCH cheaper physical copies on PS4/Xbox/PC. 

To be blunt - they aren't. The demos are extremely low on playable time (15 minutes a pop, which if you aren't skipping every cutscene out of the gate means that you're going to get to only the boring tutorial stuff and nothing else) and for those 15 minutes, it's such a genuinely awful experience between the video quality dropping and the immense levels of lag due to the poor cloud implementation on display here. I could genuinely see some people just flat out being put off the series if these cloud demos are their first attempt at playing them.

They would've been better off making proper demos, even if they're demos on the cloud, like bringing over the Toy Box demo of KH3, or making a demo of KH1/KH2 with a pre-selected world that has Sora at a half-way decent level with some keyblades and tools to experiment with. At least then, people would've gotten to try out the fun parts of the game, even if there is lag, instead of just playing five minutes of screwing around Twilight Town or Destiny Islands, if even getting that far.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

To be blunt - they aren't. The demos are extremely low on playable time (15 minutes a pop, which if you aren't skipping every cutscene out of the gate means that you're going to get to only the boring tutorial stuff and nothing else) and for those 15 minutes, it's such a genuinely awful experience between the video quality dropping and the immense levels of lag due to the poor cloud implementation on display here. I could genuinely see some people just flat out being put off the series if these cloud demos are their first attempt at playing them.

They would've been better off making proper demos, even if they're demos on the cloud, like bringing over the Toy Box demo of KH3, or making a demo of KH1/KH2 with a pre-selected world that has Sora at a half-way decent level with some keyblades and tools to experiment with. At least then, people would've gotten to try out the fun parts of the game, even if there is lag, instead of just playing five minutes of screwing around Twilight Town or Destiny Islands, if even getting that far.

I suppose what I mean is - it's great showcase for why not to buy these specific versions and why to shop elsewhere. I guess in some way it depends on the individuals mindset of the cloud as well - my example purely came from my own perspective and impressions of playing Control and Guardians Of The Galaxy for the first time on Switch - both 'Demo's' convinced me these are games I would enjoy... only to stay the hell away from the Cloud Versions.

But you do raise a valid point that a total newcomer or someone not well versed with how the cloud operates could just see these as legitimately unfun game demos and be put off. I also forgot about the short demo timer that just picks up from the games start which is not ideal whatsoever - but then I suppose the reality of these "demos" are for the user to test their cloud experience and home stream capabilities before making an informed purchase. 

In short - you're right, and also Blarg! to Square. 

HMK had me…until he started simping for Square Enix and saying “it’s not their fault, don’t get mad at them” despite squire repeatedly doing bad ports. Guess that’ll happen, when you’re an influencer clearly trying to keep squares PR department happy so can keep getting access to their games 

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally watched this full thing that had the KH community all divided and loud on Twitter: 

Not sure what has so many people annoyed with this? The guys right for most of this. (Tho even as someone that finds myself greatly disappointed in 3, I find myself disagreeing with some of his takes here, like Yozora, and most of the data battles, being well made. They throw so much annoying bullshit at you. ) I rarely ever watch these full multi-hour long analysis vids, but not even kidding, he was hitting the nail on so many good argument points as to why KH3 felt so lackluster, from how it’s Disney worlds were handled, to the core mechanics of the gameplay.

The only glaring thing I just can’t agree with is again the dlc super bosses, but then again, it took him only a couple minutes to learn and beat them, vs me who took hours to do that. So obviously different experiences will come from that. But nah, I couldn’t just “laugh” and “not be annoyed” at the Kupo coin shit with Yozora for example after hours of attempts, just to beat him and have to deal with him again with half health. That kind of “challenge” isn’t fun to me, and certainly not what I want to see more of going forward 

Still, that all being said, I wholeheartedly recommend the video.  

I am annoyed that it is five hours long and decided I don't need to watch the full thing. The fact that he felt the need to spend 5 minutes explaining what the attractions were when it's evident to anyone who's seen footage of the game was enough for me. It's padded to shit.

The basic gist of the video: KH3 while it has some good ideas, is bogged down by how mindless the combat is due to everything the game throws at you, basically making you feel like a overpowered god by the first world. Critical and pro codes only serve to make the game more annoying and “feel” artificially difficult due to bullshit things enemy design. The Limit Cut/secret boss stuff is basically his only real high point, as to him, the way you fight them is similar to the secret bosses of KH2FM, maybe even better. But it doesn’t change his overall feelings on KH3 base version of otherwise 

He goes into each individual world, and explains the story, the level design, their gimmicks, etc and gives his overall thoughts on how they handled them. 

But yeah, I don’t think this needed to be 5 hours long, but I say that about any of these in depth analysis videos. You could probably condense most of this into an hour and a half at the very least. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 9:05 PM, Perkilator said:

Do you guys think we'll at least get a teaser for the next game at or by the April 10th event?

I would hope so. It'd royally suck if they didn't. What I want to know is, will it only be one game they tease? Or two?

And while I doubt this will happen, I still hope that rumored disney+ series is real & gets showed off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ITS FUCKING HAPPENING OH SHIT

I’m trying to not get super excited but…fuck KH knows how to get you on the edge of your seat 

(for those wondering, nomuras recent letter to the fanbase ends with a x. The scala x to be specific. It’s been translated, and the X means 4)

edit: so the actual stage event part is happening now, and they can’t even tweet out anything about it FUUUUCK. Why square gotta be this way almost always just with KH? 😕

Kingdom Hearts 4 has just been announced.

New artstyle, not sure if the Quadratam look is just for one world or for the whole game but either way not a fan.

The keyblade whip looks kinda cool I guess.

Yeah, i'm hoping Quadratum is more than just "lmao it's the real world so everything's more photorealistic"; it worked for Drakengard thanks to the art style being similar across the board, not really seeing it here so far.
Also, Sora's feet reveal i guess.

Also also, what are Donald and Goofy doing in what i guess is the Underworld since Hades shows up (not too surprising, Nomura said he's his favourite villain after all)? They believe Sora's soul went there or something?

In a series renowned for exciting and different worlds, I'm not gonna lie, Quadratam looks dreadfully boring.

If it's just one of many worlds,  including Disney ones, then fine. Otherwise, not really feeling it so far.

I mean we all figured Quadratum was gonna be more FF inspired oriented, so I’m not really upset or surprised, and honestly I like how it literally is a reverse from typical whimsical Disney. I’m certainly loving Sora’s design here, but I hope the whole game isn’t based in just one city. I’m hopeful that if square is embracing this as a more “square Enix property” based KH, vs the more Disney focus KH games, we get a variety of different square properties, but we’ll see. But atm I’m really interested in what we see here. Gameplay looks already more interesting than 3, and if this builds off Re:mind mechanics further, I’m definitely gonna say this shits on 3 lol

The hope is this is less proof of concept like the 3 release, and more grounded in what they actual have worked on. Especially with the fact they actually have voice acting, and the gameplay seems to be noticeably built off 3, I think this is more something to expect is gonna be accurate to final product compared to before 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Also also, what are Donald and Goofy doing in what i guess is the Underworld since Hades shows up (not too surprising, Nomura said he's his favourite villain after all)? They believe Sora's soul went there or something?

Quadratum is implied to be the afterlife. Donald and Goofy are seeking out Hades to see if he knows how to access it.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is probably gonna be a hot take but…I like Sora’s look here more than 3’s design. 

Spoiler

Also Disney and square really showed off his feet quite a lot knowing about the internet. Lmao

Also, I’m REALLY wanting to see Riku’s design now. 

And also, wonder if Mickey will have a playable role in this given what we know at the end of MoM…Mickey, Donald and goofy sections where they go through Disney words maybe? (Which means olympus is back again. Lol)

• The title was changed to The Kingdom Hearts Series: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 ANNOUNCED! WHY SORA LOOKIN SO FLY???
  • The title was changed to The Kingdom Hearts Series: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 ANNOUNCED! STAR WARS POTENTIALLY TEASED (page 175)

So that woodland teaser is supposed to be Endor? Just jumping in episode VI is peak behavior for this series, lmao.
I just know i'm gonna have several migraines for this in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m REALLY hoping it’s an original plot, and not a shitty abridged retelling, mid film franchise. Last thing we want is another At Words End situation where all the context is gutted and we actually only get like 10 minutes of the actual movie retold badly. 

Really not a big fan of the new FF realistic design, tbh. It looks a little uncanny on Sora, and removes what the flair of the series that made it stand out amongst the rest. Sora is literally supposed to be a mesh of Disney and FF attributes to signify the crossover aspect of the series, so removing one portion of that to go for super realism just isn’t it for me at all. Really hope this is only for this one world and nothing else. 

I am seeing some speculation around that maybe we’ll have two portions, with Sora and Riku in the afterlife and Kairi, Donald and Goofy handling the Disney stuff, but I’m not sure how much that would be true. Depends how long it takes for Donald and Goofy to find and reunite with Sora, but Kairi does make the most sense as a playable character in the Realm of Light with it confirmed Riku has already left. It’d just be nice in general to have Kairi be allowed to do something. Mickey’d be possible too, I guess - but depends if they wanna kill two birds with one stone and use Kairi as an excuse to show her training.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean,  and this is under the assumption his appearance is world specific here, if Sora can travel to Disney worlds and have his appearance altered to fit in with the denizens of those worlds, I don’t see the issue with applying to same to a non-Disney world, even if it might look a bit off/jarring at first.

Now it’s another story if this is just his look for the whole saga (tho I think they can stylistically make it work if they try, since he looks great in the 2D art), but even in that situation, idk, I still like enough about it that I guess it’s not bothering me as much. It’s very different and weird, but interesting to me lol