Awoo.

The Kingdom Hearts Series: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 ANNOUNCED! STAR WARS POTENTIALLY TEASED (page 175)

KHCast

HMK(and a lot of other KH fans) has been acting like an immature ass and dragging things out this entire time so I don't really care about what Joe did at that point. The entire response from the fanbase was immature and unreasonable IMO. The way Kingdom Heart's story has developed has been agreed to be clunky and poor even within the fanbase and that's not even getting into the quality of the games themselves. Like, have some self awareness of what you're asking people to deal with. 

Square isn't really obligated to extend a branch to newcomers, but I don't really see a good reason why they wouldn't. This is the first time the series has been in the public eye in 2006. This game features a lot of characters from new IPs that are popular with children. You'd think they'd want to focus on creating new fans and not just getting an emotional reaction out of the older ones. Their approach to this whole thing is weird imo. KH3 would have been better off toning it down on the extended plot elements and making something as easily digestible and timeless as the Disney movies it's based in, but they've..kinda forgotten how to write "simple" and just go for complexity and shock value now, so idk.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Nix said:

And while it may be the end of a saga, Angry Joe also gave an excellent comparison point with Witcher 3 and how many of that series' fans jumped in on the end of that particular saga.  Witcher I and II set up a lot of the plot points and characters that III uses, but III still worked incredibly well as its own stand alone story for many.

I’m not too familiar with Witcher as a franchise, but from what I saw, it looked as if it the way it tells it’s story differs structurally from Kingdom Hearts and thus has more ways to introduce newcomers and be friendly to them. KH3 more than likely will not have a self contained story, but will be a continuous extension of 3D and BBS with some 2.

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So then that’s being stubborn if you won’t take either way and just expect 3 to just hand you all the information so you aren’t lost. It’s a continuous narrative franchise continuing on from the previous games story. There’s not much room to suddenly stop and recap what’s happened so far.

I'd argue there's more stupid action on Square's part for expecting the console base not familiar with the series to just jump on without 3 when they didn't even bother to throw them a bone with a port of the collection.

And having to to study Kingdom Hearts' plot up to that point is kind of a nightmare. I mean, you can tell that when even Nomura himself has admitted to losing track of the plot.

Can't really altogether blame consumers and potential newcomers for being rebuffed and discouraged by the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

KH3 would have been better off toning it down on the extended plot elements and making something as easily digestible and timeless as the Disney movies it's based in, but they've..kinda forgotten how to write "simple" and just go for complexity and shock value now, so idk.

I can’t see them suddenly dropping the entire saga they built the games around for something different. That would just come off a bit dickish.

also, from what I’ve seen hmk’s been fine about this whole situation, even going as far to say how he respects joe

Now, if say Kingdom Hearts' plots were simple and sweet like they (sort of) used to be, then maybe it could be seen plunging in better. But when you've got a plate that looks nice, but has so much of a tangling plot that even fans are beginning to grow tired with. Short of a reboot, you've got a newcomer problem.

Y'see, this is where I would've just preferred to have KH3 as a PS4 exclusive...because Square don't seem to be particularly interested in actually granting all platforms one of the best options to catch up, Hell, 0.2 ties directly into 3 and yet that's on a PS4 exclusive collection. Either go all in on allowing accessability with other consoles, or keep it a Sony exclusive as you've done in the past instead of making a half-hearted attempt to waste resources in porting it when the 10 years worth of material hasn't even been moved over and therefore no one has a interest in getting it on Xbox apart from a few people who might've had some of the PS2 titles and later moved to Xbox.

It's just..why bother going to the effort of porting KH3 to Xbox but literally port none of the extra stuff that gives context to the game and lets people experience the original games for themselves, it's absolutely idiotic to me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

MGS4 had to shittly sum up the entire series as many newcomers joined there as it was the first MGS game on PS3

I was talking about Metal Gear Solid 1.  Not the series in general. If anything, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good example of the potential mess in store for newcomers with Kingdom Hearts 3.

Worth noting that I don't think it's a huge huge deal either way since most people will just enjoy the game for the action gameplay and the disney characters and will just stop caring when the anime characters start talking. This isn't a situation that requires a continuity reboot or anything, and the game will probably be successful regardless of where the story goes.

I just don't look forward to Kingdom Hearts fans freaking out when the reviews mention the story being laughable again. Like...that shit is wack, yall

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Y'see, this is where I would've just preferred to have KH3 as a PS4 exclusive...because Square don't seem to be particularly interested in actually granting all platforms one of the best options to catch up, Hell, 0.2 ties directly into 3 and yet that's on a PS4 exclusive collection. Either go all in on allowing accessability with other consoles, or keep it a Sony exclusive as you've done in the past instead of making a half-hearted attempt to waste resources in porting it when the 10 years worth of material hasn't even been moved over and therefore no one has a interest in getting it on Xbox apart from a few people who might've had some of the PS2 titles and later moved to Xbox.

It's just..why bother going to the effort of porting KH3 to Xbox but literally port none of the extra stuff that gives context to the game and lets people experience the original games for themselves, it's absolutely idiotic to me. 

I’ve said if since the beginning, KH3 only got on Microsoft’s system more than likely at Microsoft’s request/checkbook. It’s extremely evident with squares seemingly lack of shit giving to that platform in general regarding the series.

Just now, KHCast said:

I’ve said if since the beginning, KH3 only got on Microsoft’s system more than likely at Microsoft’s request/checkbook. It’s extremely evident with squares seemingly lack of shit giving to that platform in general regarding the series.

I think it's more likely because it's a Disney game, and Disney appeals to pretty much everyone.

10 minutes ago, Nix said:

I think it's more likely because it's a Disney game, and Disney appeals to pretty much everyone.

If that were the case they’d be getting more than just 3. And squares history with Xbox has been pretty spotty regardless so that doesn’t help

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

I just don't look forward to Kingdom Hearts fans freaking out when the reviews mention the story being laughable again. Like...that shit is wack, yall

For what it’s worth that’s not what HMK and kh fans were annoyed at. AJ specifically was going off about how if the story isn’t accessible and doesn’t give him all the information from past games needed to understand what’s going on, he’d trash its story and say it’s not accessible.  And that just to a degree seems unreasonable when there are methods in which to catch up on. Hmk even goes on in his own response vid that he only wants joe to play the other games to better appreciate 3. (And I doubt he doesn’t have the time to watch gametrailers timeline video which is only like an hour long )

edit: HMK’s video in response to joe btw

idk he seems pretty chill and not “freak outish”. Even if I don’t totally agree with his entire disagreement towards joe, he doesn’t look angry or white knightish

Square possibly may be interested in discussing with Disney a KH theme park area for Disneyland

Also Elsa deconfirmed as a party member. Plus side, big hero 6 possibly next!

Oh man, didn't think Joe saying "the dialogue sounds cheesy/dumb" and people suggesting for him to play the other games would evolve into some "big" drama. To be fair, I can kind of understand him - he has concerns about the accessibility of the game to the newcomers (aka Xbox owners and those who never followed the series before). And I can also understand why he didn't know about the fact that the game is going to have the recap thingy, cuz that info came from Japanese interviews (please correct me if I'm wrong on that). 

What annoyed me a little bit is the fact that he's generalizing the community as "elitist", which, while not uncommon, still sucks. Sure, the "elitists" are always dumb, but this generalization is also wrong I think. But eh, I didn't really care too much if he played other KH games or not. In fact, I actually want to see his review to understand how a newcomer might feel about KH3. Will it be short-sighted? Probably. Do I care? No, not really, I just want to see other perspectives.

I just hope he doesn't laugh the game off as "holy hell why does anyone like this crap" because of the story

• Thumbs Up 1

My only concern is that it’s angry joe. He has a voice, and a large following. And while I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and think most can think for themselves, idk, YouTube influencers are called “influencers” for a reason. I’m hoping he’ll be reasonable to the game whether his overall thoughts are positive or negative.

on another note, I just realized that tweet I just shared also brings up Nomura apparently wanting to add an online mode. Umm...after looking at FFXV’s online, I’d rather they not if they use that as their base. Now if they do it ala mirage arena or days, possibly.

All fanbases have their 'elitist' members though. No doubt there's some Angry Joe elitist fans. And when those elitist fans clash, that's where the problems lie.

But yeah, AJ is a Youtuber who's also considered an influencer, and if people take only his word for it if he bashes it, it could end up causing more friction than what's already been had.

Also, 3D's summary of the previous games got to the main points easily enough, so I have no doubt the flashback system will be used here to give context to elements fom previous games where needed. Thus everything will be at least understandable for newcomers.

So Elsa is not gonna be a party member after all. Damn. Well can she at least be a summon after you complete Arrendelle (like Genie did after you completed Agrabah in KH1)? Hopefully she can.

• Thumbs Up 3

I found out about that party news a couple of weeks back, did nobody bring it up ‘til now?

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The orchestra trailer got leaked! And well...someone definitely is confirmed

Reveal hidden contents

@Ryannumber1gamer @Josh @MegasonicZX @Johnny Boy @Ernest-Panda @Nix @Bobnik @Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley

Spoiler

Nice, so that means door travel seems confirmed and Randal's back!

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I’m flipping out man oh my god haha. I mean I heard rumors this was shown, and I guess it was bound to happen, but still! Hype! My boys here!!!

5 hours ago, KHCast said:

Hide contents

@Ryannumber1gamer @Josh @MegasonicZX @Johnny Boy @Ernest-Panda @Nix @Bobnik @Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley

Well now,  I saw that character coming but still, 

Spoiler

The door travel was quite a bit unexpected. Hoping they'll work that in,  something interesting with getting the worlds connected. 

Quite hyping nonetheless.

13 hours ago, KHCast said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sweet! Too bad it’s likely Steve Buscemi isn’t coming back to voice him since John Goodman and Billy Crystal didn’t reprise their roles.

Spoiler

So I’m seeing in the comments that Randal apparently says “who cares?” in that scene. So clearly not the full scene if that’s the case, or perhaps in game dialogue during a boss fight with him where you’re going through different areas of the world using the doors?