Awoo.

The Kingdom Hearts Series: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 ANNOUNCED! STAR WARS POTENTIALLY TEASED (page 175)

KHCast

I had fun with DS version of 358 but I never completed it after getting around to like Day 250 or so. Not only was the game's difficulty spikes absolutely infuriating but the atrocious system for magic, levelling up and skill equips made it feel like a chore to actually improve Roxas. Not to mention the natural control issues of the DS.

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ghost Trick said:

This. They should've done that from the get-go hands down. Precisely my point!

The best thing about Re:Coded was its gameplay. Take that away and we're left with a painfully repetitive and even more boring story.

Re:Coded HD actually had some personality and character interactions that has ranged emotions throughout. Also actual action scenes that didn’t need to be patched in. So I prefer it actually to Days movie 

As opposed to sitting on a clock tower contemplating friendship constantly? Also Re:Coded has a better sense of character growth. Data Sora actually felt like a growing character that accepts his role. On top of that we have Disney properties actually being used, the bond/friendship  between Riku and Sora actually being delved into in a believable way with them bantering off eachother and talking about their lives towards the end, etc. it’s to me objectively the better handled film of the two even if it’s general plot is forgettable and pointless. It does more right than days.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Re:Coded HD actually had some personality and character interactions that has ranged emotions throughout. Also actual action scenes that didn’t need to be patched in. So I prefer it actually to Days movie 

Thankfully I'm not comparing it to the Days movie.

The point is that both movie renditions sucked and are less fun then their movie counterparts. And that Square should've just remade the games with better systems if they didn't want to simply do an HD re-scaling.

Most people played Days for the cutscenes. It’s almost a universal agreement that says overall was crap from a gameplay perspective. So the film delivered what it needed to. The general important story bits of the game. Remaking a mission based system would have taken much longer and possibly even prolonged KH3.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

It’s almost a universal agreement that says overall was crap from a gameplay perspective. So the film delivered what it needed to. The general important story bits of the game.

And yet the general consesus on the execution of 358/2 Days as a movie is still quite mixed for a good reason.

There was really nothing stopping or hindering Square that much from tinkering with the gameplay system. Or if they really wanted to make a movie out of it, they should've committed. The movie itself has a bad habit of not accommodating well, for all the scenes that are conveyed via gameplay segments, so at times it literally comes off as one of those "Movie of Cutscenes" you'd see a youtuber upload on youtube of game cutscenes.

Those are at least two major ways Square could've satisfied consumers, but they couldn't do either. There honestly was really no point in removing the gameplay. At worst, they could've just implemented an option to play it as it was before just in HD, or as its "movie" version.

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Remaking a mission based system would have taken much longer and possibly even prolonged KH3.

I'm assuming you're referring to the game's overly long development time, and not the game itself. Honestly, either way, that's not a good reason for them to have skimped out on a proper HD version of the 358/2 Days and Re:Coded respectively.

Especially considering how they'd wasted time on things even less deserving already.

Remaking days to me probably  wouldn’t have been met with tons of praise if you ask me. The game would still overstay it’s welcome with the mission based system, and from a gameplay perspective, unless they made severe changes that also differentiated it from 1/2, it would just come off like more of the same. And that’s before we get to programming multiple playable characters. It’s a lot of work and money for a title that didn’t really do much for the series or get much praise that would have prolonged the release of 1.5, taken resources from games more worth development, and would have no guarantee of being critically met positively. Even if the execution was done mediocrely, a HD movie I feel was the best choice for this and re:Coded. They’re side titles that are for the most part ignorable, that really only needed to be played if you wanted a full picture of the plot, again, something most nowadays don’t give a big shit about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

They’re side titles that are for the most part ignorable, that really only needed to be played if you wanted a full picture of the plot, again, something most nowadays don’t give a big shit about. 

Bif of a tough call there,  as a notable amount of fans,  especially those who started off on the series with them. 

And with that mentality,  you really shouldn't be surprised by the numbers who don't even really care about the story due to its poor handling at times,  and as a result,  some being lost to the point where they feel the series take itself too seriously. 

Long running series that span across several different consoles over their course,  need to at least be better at narratives this overarching and connected as Kingdom Hearts if it wants fans coming back for much more than the gameplay and Disney characters (of which quite a few are disappointed in as well) at this point with how many have been burned out waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Remaking days to me probably  wouldn’t have been met with tons of praise if you ask me.

And yet,  even a simple remaster likely would've been received better,  given the reception. Square were just lazy on this one. 

Heck,  they bothered with DDD, it wouldn't really have been much trouble with the other two. 

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty high. It’s Square Enix, I wouldn’t put it past them. Honestly if they do like an expansion kinda thing and create post game content after the game, like a scrapped world or further gameplay maybe for Riku, should he be the second playable character, I wouldn’t mind. I mean FFXV’s expansion dlc has content that went on during the main campaign, so wouldn’t be too out there. But I don’t want them to go crazy or anything and do like multiple worlds, online multiplayer, summons,etc. locked behind a paywall. A couple keyblades and maybe one expansion pack that adds in a world or two at max. Ultimately, as long as the game feels like a complete full package that hasn’t cut anything out, I don’t mind dlc in KH.

.....what

• 4 weeks later...

I kinda figured that he’d continue the role. Which sucks, but guess Square either don’t see James shit as a big deal, or legally Woods is the only one that can play Hades perhaps. Seriously though, Woods can fuck off. The only saving grace is at least he’s playing a character we’ll likely beat the shit out of

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

https://www.khwiki.com/Midgar

HAHAHA clearly an April fools joke, but man doesn’t that probably rub salt in people’s wounds that want more FF representation 

Well, at least it wasn't the officials that did it this time. XD

Though yeah, post KH3, that's hopefully one of the main problems that the series will fix.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jovahexeon Omega-Sapphire said:

Well, at least it wasn't the officials that did it this time. XD

Though yeah, post KH3, that's hopefully one of the main problems that the series will fix.

Was that Square that did the whole Lightning in 3D thing? The only April fools thing I recall them doing with KH, was Mushroom Kingdom Hearts lol

• 2 weeks later...

So, along with a couple of the x-keepers, and some other folks I believe, a couple of KH13 staff members will be among the first to play KHIII! I’m super happy for them :D

Da3XFbkU0AEybMj.jpg

A new Game and Watch based mini game has been shown off!

Heh, there were actually a couple of Mickey Game and Watch games, that's a cute throwback.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Uh, more importantly.

Did they just confirm the Twilight Town crew with redesigns?

Because...that's interesting, usually redesigns is reserved for main character story like Sora and co.

Yeah I’m liking that everyone seems to be getting updates. Wonder what that means for the destiny islands crew. Hell, possibly even TAV. Plus tbf, the old outfits were their summer vacation clothes

Also the world itself looks amazing!! And npc’s!

I’m kind of surprised they’re allowed to use the Game & Watch concept considering it’s a Nintendo thing.

Well they’re not straight up doing game and watch. They’re doing their own version of it, but Nintendo don’t own the idea or concept of 8-bit gaming system. Otherwise by that logic, a lot of parodies, knockoffs, etc. would be straight up illegal