Awoo.

The Kingdom Hearts Series: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 ANNOUNCED! STAR WARS POTENTIALLY TEASED (page 175)

KHCast

Might be worth bringing up, "fragmentary passage" from the end of BBS Final Mix was said to be leading into a new storyline at the time before Nomura then said he's now not sure if they'll ever tackle that story a short time after. So regardless of how long the game is on the collection I'm just glad to see that plot point not be dropped and that they're actually going to tackle it now, since a world lost to the realm of darnkess and never having returned when the rest did is a pretty big thing.

I wouldn't mind actually if a fragmtary passage kinda started a new chapter in the series. Like how in movies, there's some undertoned event that happens, but people aren't really all that focused on it due to the issue at hand, and that event becomes the main threat for the next movie. Kinda like how Marvel has underplayed Thanos up until lately.

so FP may focus on events that tie into 3, but maybe Aqua sees or does something that doesn't seem problematic at first, but will become the next big threat.

Edited by Michael Munroe

Which one? Cause the only kinda decent one I see that doesn't seem like a mess of a title is DDD. Everything else just seems like square yanked it out of their asses. I mean Back Cover? 0.2 a fragmentary passage? 2.8 final chapter prologue???

Edited by Michael Munroe

Am I the only one who likes the title?

You're referring to 2.8? Well, the full name just comes off as needlessly purple-prosy to me. Like, they want to make it sound as flowery and fancy as possible without having to make any sense.

Which one? Cause the only kinda decent one I see that doesn't seem like a mess of a title is DDD. Everything else just seems like square yanked it out of their asses. I mean Back Cover? 0.2 a fragmentary passage? 2.8 final chapter prologue???

0.2 and 2.8 actually do make sense if you think about it.

BBS is also sometimes known as Kingdom Hearts 0. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Volume 2 is then Kingdom Hearts 0 Volume 2, or 0.2.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 is just Kingdom Hearts 3 minus Kingdom Hearts 0.2.

Yeah, its confusing how they come up with the name. 358/2 days is a good example; its Roxas's 358 days with Organization 13, which was divided between his two closest companions, hence 358/2 Days. The logic they use to come up with the names does tend to be a bit confusing, though.

Kingdom Hearts 3D, honestly, I think is the most confusing title, because there's very little logic that leads to the title. They literally just wanted to use 3D, so they came up with giving three word's associated with the game that start with D to name the title.

I still think I shouldn't have to think about it to understand the names. Especially if I'm not a dedicated fan to the series. :/ 

to me the full title for 2.8 is almost as bad as the FF13 chrystallis nova whatever thing.

I understand the 2.8 is 3 minus 0.2. Still stupid, and boo math. To a regular customer we go from 1.5 to 2.5 to 2.8, and that's just stupid looking.

Edited by Michael Munroe
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really like DDD as a title, except I always want to pronounce it as Dream Drop Dristance...

Personally, I'm all for a cryptic title, and Kingdom Hearts's aren't even the most ludicrous I've heard of lately from Japan.  But I do think they set themselves up for parody.

• Thumbs Up 2

You either call it Dream Drop Distance, DDD, 3D, D3, Triple D, whatever.

Not looking forward to fighting those 3 Ryu Dragons again in that one challenge in Symphony of Sorcery, my goodness, that was such a pain., also the material needed to make Ryu Dragon's hopefully will be easier to obtain.

I really like DDD as a title, except I always want to pronounce it as Dream Drop Dristance...

Personally, I'm all for a cryptic title, and Kingdom Hearts's aren't even the most ludicrous I've heard of lately from Japan.  But I do think they set themselves up for parody.

I love all the titles and the meaning behind them. My favorite is probably Days and BBS. It has the deepest meaning imo and I also love DDD. It just sounds cool to say Dream Drop Distance. But as for 2.8 it isn't really a big deal to me. A Fragmetary Passage might just be the most 'meh' to me. Back Cover is alright.

there's cryptic, and the there's outright dumb. Final Chapter Prologue and Back Cover fall under the latter. How can people defend those names?

Edited by Michael Munroe

there's cryptic, and the there's outright dumb. Final Chapter Prologue and Back Cover fall under the latter. How can people defend those names?

Well, as far as I can tell, no one's defending those names. :D

To be honest, the name for the collection really isn't all that cryptic. Its called final chapter prologue since these are pretty much all the games that lead up to the final chapter (which would be KH3) and I don't think many people would have to look far in order to figure out why its named that way. Out of all the names, back cover is about the only one that doesn't make much sense.

To be honest, the name for the collection really isn't all that cryptic. Its called final chapter prologue since these are pretty much all the games that lead up to the final chapter (which would be KH3) and I don't think many people would have to look far in order to figure out why its named that way. Out of all the names, back cover is about the only one that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe it's called Back Cover because it's going to reveal a sort of 'background' plot or hidden plot, like revealing the traitor to the Fortellers? Instead of revealing what we see, or the 'cover' it will reveal what we cannot see or what's hidden which is the 'back cover.'

Maybe it's called Back Cover because it's going to reveal a sort of 'background' plot or hidden plot, like revealing the traitor to the Fortellers? Instead of revealing what we see, or the 'cover' it will reveal what we cannot see or what's hidden which is the 'back cover.'

It's a movie mode of Unchained from what I understand, so that means the movies included are already in the mobile game that everyone outside of Japan is waiting for.

They seem to really love the phrase "now in development"

I think the other times we saw gameplay, plus the first announce we got back in 2013 may have been a hint that it's in development guys.

So... I guess whatever happens in Kingdom Hearts Unchained IS canon, after all?

It's weird how the Master Foreteller gave only five of his six apprentices access to the Book of Prophecies. It's like they WANT to make a traitor out of the lonely only...

It's weird how the Master Foreteller gave only five of his six apprentices access to the Book of Prophecies. It's like they WANT to make a traitor out of the lonely only...

The Master probably didn't trust the 6th apprentice.

No, just there's backstory revealed in it that is. Long before it even looked like it was coming out in English KH news sites translated the section that was known to be canon, even though the rest of the game isn't. So this is just that one section of the game that is that'll be in 2.8.

I'm with you on Back Cover; no matter how they explain it, it'll never sound like anything other than a game about flipping over a game box in a store and reading the blurb on the back.  Final Chapter Prologue seems pretty literal, though.

The only real problem I have is the numerical awkwardness of the inevitable collected edition containing Kingdom Hearts 1.5, 2.5, 2.8, and 3.  (Maybe 3.5 if they do that updated international edition business again.  Maybe they could fold 2.8 into that.)

Are we still hating on the names? Who cares? As far as I'm concerned they could call this Purple Monkey Dishwasher and I wouldn't really care as long as the games are good.

Names give impressions. Any business should know that. The names I find dumb, even if I enjoy the actual games. The reasons/justification they give really won't change my(and a lot of casual fans/non-fans probably) overall opinion on them looking and sounding dumb. (Like how justifying Quiets design in MGSV doesn't change my opinion that it's dumb as hell.) Can I express distaste in something as simple as a name without apparently getting the almost obligatory "who cares" response? Kingdom hearts is known for having dumb names, so it's not really anything new. I still enjoy the games, their music, the characters, etc. 

Edited by Michael Munroe
  • Thumbs Up 2