Awoo.

The Kingdom Hearts Series: KINGDOM HEARTS 4 ANNOUNCED! STAR WARS POTENTIALLY TEASED (page 175)

KHCast

So there's a video on the Kingdom Hearts story by comedy YouTuber, videogamedunkey.

Apparently, besides his usual comedic bits, I've heard that it's all valid...? He usually jokes about most things, but probably played most of this straight because of how ridiculous it sounds. In other news, it would appear that Dunkey follows the story of Kingdom Hearts.

So yeah, there's a video for you guys and gals to enjoy. Thought you'd all get a kick out of this.

• Chuckle 1

I beat Ventus' story last night. I got used to the changed systems and enjoyed them, though not as much as KH2's. But, it did get me to use magic more. Thundaga was my most used thing in the end. It was great to kill groups and it let me use Rhythm Mixer. The last boss ended up being pretty easy since I overleveled to level 42.

I've decided to go with my original plan and I started as Aqua now. I was really surprised by how different her version of Cinderella's world is compared to Ventus'. It feels weird to be so weak again and I miss my high jump and super glide.

I am annoyed that despite grinding for a while, I killed less than 3000 Unversed. I need 10,000 for the secret ending xO.

8 hours ago, Gamefreak3525 said:

It's been a while since I've played the game, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to skip it. 

Yup, I didn't have to redo it. I was asked if I wanted to skip it when I started a new game.

Entire Frozen and most of the Tangled cast confirmed to reprise for KH3 along with one reprisal from Pirates. No word on Mandy Moore or any of the Big Hero 6 cast, but James Woods isn't listed, so it's safe to say that this is only a selection.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait so that IS Elsa???

also I’d assume the BH6 cast would return, isn’t baymax’s voice actor contracted to always do official BH6 material? Not to mention the BH6 cast returned for the animated series didn’t they?

If I had to guess the Pirates reprisal, either Kevin McNally (Gibbs) or Naomie Harris (Tia Dalma). I’m personally leaning toward Harris, since I think McNally said he hadn’t been asked iirc.

Of course that’s based purely on which characters we know to be in the game at the moment.

I’m really hoping they at least get Kira or Orlando to also come for their roles as Elizabeth and Will. Jack sounds fine even if it’s not Depp.but yeah I’m hearing they’re referring to Gibbs

I can’t think of any reason why Mandy Moore wouldn’t come back as Rapunzel, considering she voices her in just about everything else, including the TV series. Still, it’s mighty strange that there seems to be no indication of her being a part of it. Hell, the last few trailers imply they haven’t even recorded her English dialogue yet.

OH WAIT, the Pirates reprisal IS McNally! I didn’t realise there were more names in the first image.

Allow me to remind everyone that Mandy Moore was Aerith in KH1:

So it's not like this series can't afford her. Considering Zach said like 2 months ago he wasn't asked to return and yet there he is, I'm guessing Mandy will be one of the last to record.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

@Wraith So that is Menzel doing Elsa after all. Guess she’s doing a shit job then by your standards lol

I mean, weird voice direction isn't a new thing for this series. 

Other thing to keep in mind is that square were up until recently saying how they didn’t even start English voice work, so a lot of those early English scenes we saw in the trailers could very well be redone. (Like the 2015 one between eraqus and Xehanort)

That makes sense, as IIRC, there wasn't word on Roxas' VA work being done yet, which makes no sense with how important he's been in the game's trailers.

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

Wait so that IS Elsa???

also I’d assume the BH6 cast would return, isn’t baymax’s voice actor contracted to always do official BH6 material? Not to mention the BH6 cast returned for the animated series didn’t they?

They all did except for Damon Waynas Jr. (Wasabis VA) and TJ Miller (Fred’s VA). The latter for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

They all did except for Damon Waynas Jr. (Wasabis VA) and TJ Miller (Fred’s VA). The latter for obvious reasons.

Hmm? Some controversy with him?

TJ has sexual harassment allegations on him iirc, and from what I heard, there’s quite a lot of evidence that leans against him, and Disney dropped him like a rock.

7 hours ago, KHCast said:

Well considering James Woods is coming back, TJ could possibly too.:/

Except unlike TJ, James Woods hasn’t done anything illegal.

39 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

Except unlike TJ, James Woods hasn’t done anything illegal.

Well they’re allegations not proven iirc, and hasn’t James Woods faced allegations of dating underage girls?

and let’s not also bring up the possibility of that being Depp as jack and the shit that would bring.

not saying I would want this pos in, just saying companies like Disney seen wishy washy regarding big names and including them or not, so I wouldn’t be surprised 

So I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we have one Disney world left. Considering how much this trailer showed off story wise, I’m almost positive of it. Though one other one wouldn’t shock me. With that said, guess wise, I’m going to say it’s either Jungle Book as a safe bet, or Princess and the frog, due to the new princess stuff and the fact the films themes work perfect with KH. I’m guessing at jump festa is where we’ll get this reveal.

Time for a post that was a long time coming. 

You see, I recently decided that I wanted to try get the platinum trophies in a number of Kingdom Hearts games before the release of 3. I had already gotten the platinum for KH1 on PS3, and KH2 on PS4, so I decided my next game should be the one with the most grinding and the most painful bosses to try get it out of the way and besides all that, it's the next ""major"" game that doesn't fall under spin-off but not really category. 

That game is of course Birth By Sleep, and if you know anything about BBS, it's that you need to do everything three entire times to 100% the game and unlock the secret episode, and that's including the super-bosses, commands, mini-games etc etc. 

I'll come back with a post on fully 100%ing it when I've finished a critical run of the game and got the platinum, since that's the final thing I need to do, but for now, I wanted to touch on something that I mentioned quite a lot in the statuses lately. 

The superbosses in this game is absolutely terrible and highlight the massive flaws in Birth by Sleep's combat system big time. 

To begin with, let's talk general design. In KH2FM - which I like to think I've got a good idea of how to work within it's combat system after having beat every superboss on Critical - the combat was simple, but smart. You had a ton of options to work with. Your magic, your combos, your drive forms. They were all viable and smart options for dealing with a boss. Why is that?

That's because the boss design in KH2 was made with simple intent - while a boss could be genuinely difficult to beat, they still followed a train of logic and a pattern that if you put the time in, you could learn. Especially with things like the revenge values, it embodied being smart while you're playing and picking the times when to fight, and when to go on the defensive. That's what I love about KH2's design. If you are a master player, you can potentially abuse the bosses' revenge value and force them into a loop to beat them easily. But if you're not as mastered, but still relatively good, you can still play it smart, charge in and out, and learn where the boss is dangerous, and when they're open to attack. To put it simply, you could hypothetically play against a boss offensively, or defensively. While a boss was difficult, you still had the full range of your abilities to give you options to work with. The bosses in KH2 are designed smartly, fairly, and more importantly - with a learning curve. This is aided by the fact once you correctly exploit a weakness, you can force any enemy into a stagger state that for a few seconds leaves you safe to attack as you please and get off a combo or two before they recover.

So, that raises the question - how did they mess it all up in Birth By Sleep? Well, first things first - physical combos are absolutely useless. Not only are you reduced to a few weak slaps like in KH1 again, but it's because of the command deck. The command deck, as we all know replaces the traditional menu of Attack - Magic - Items etc by letting you put in your own magic, items, and attack moves with their own cooldown timers. Except the problem is a massive amount of them becomes irrelevant and practically useless as you progress through the game, leaving you too open to be usable but on top of that - with such a system that grants you so many options, you'd think at least you could have a variety of different ways to fight the enemies/bosses. Nope. Because superbosses completely lock out and invalidate your commands. But better yet, none of them stagger, which means any time you try to exploit a weakness, they'll immediately punish you with a one-hit combo that leaves you at 1hp. 

Furthermore, the boss design is pretty awful in general because of the fact there's three different characters and they practically designed the superbosses around an exploit that only two out of the three have. This being Aqua, Ventus and....Terra. For those who haven't played BBS, it's pretty simple. Aqua is weak physically and begins the game the weakest of the three, but with a high magic stat, a cartwheel that if spammed makes her completely invincible, and the fact that by the end of the game, the strongest commands tend to be magic based, Aqua becomes a complete beast and is decently manoeuvrable.

Ventus is your Sora/Roxas type character. He's the most well-rounded and agile of the three, even carrying Sora's dodge roll which like Aqua can be spammed to make himself invincible. Keep this in mind, it becomes important. 

Terra is...downright complete trash. He's meant to be the raw power type, and to be fair, he is. He hits hard with physical attacks, which is perfectly fine for the story. But for the end-game/post-game? As we already established, physical attacks becomes more and more irrelevant as time goes on so they're out the window. Terra's biggest drawback however is how heavy he is. He's slow, he's clunky, and in a action RPG like Kingdom Hearts, that really is not good. Nearly every attack of Terra's has a cooldown time that leaves him open for attack, which is especially bad for superbosses. But even better, unlike Ventus and Aqua - he gets a crappy dash that does not make him invincible through spamming, and even worse - has a cooldown time after it ends, leaving you open to attack. 

Now then, with that covered, let's go into the bosses themselves. 

Vanitas Remnant:

I don't want to heavily go into detail regarding Vanitas Remnant because unlike all of the other bosses, he has a cheese method if you really just do not want to put up with the godawful design of BBS. Usually, I hate to suggest such a thing, but the bosses in BBS are so downright cheap, unfair and painful to play through that if you can get an easier time with any of them, I would absolutely take it. 

Anyways, Vanitas. This is like all of the previous Vanitas fights rolled up and upgraded into one even bigger, and even more annoying fight. He constantly teleports onto of you to attack you, which isn't too bad for the likes of Aqua and Ven, but this is absolutely devastating for Terra because it means he'll likely just be combo'd into 1hp and possibly killed before getting the chance to pull off a cure spell. He has attacks that can inflict Blackout on you, and that means you can't lock onto him while he goes to town on you. If you attack and land one hit on him, he immediately recovers and teleports into a confirmed hit against you because you'll still be in your cooldown recovery from the hit, and the most frustrating - he can lock out your heal commands. The only saving grace against Vanitas is due to BBS's less than great balancing of commands, mine commands more or less just completely rip him apart, but even that's just hoping he sets them off.

As mentioned, the only other saving grace is he has a cheese method. Run in with about 7 Strike Raids and one cure in case of an emergency, get behind a rock, lock onto Vanitas and use the strike raids. Vanitas can't teleport behind the rock, instead constantly teleporting into it and as long as you keep locking on, you can spam Strike Raids and make them go through the rock. 

Mysterious Figure: 

This is the one fight I had been dreading all along. I'd never fought against Mysterious Figure before but I kept watching a ton of "worst bosses" and top of the list was always Mysterious Figure. For those who don't know, Mysterious Figure is Young Xehanort welding two swords and the videos were absolutely true, this is the worst boss in the series, bar none. No question. Every single part of his boss fight is cheap, and totally unfair. 

First off, before we go into individual characters, let's just discuss the issues with MF himself. Firstly, he is weak to only one command, and that is thunder surge. That's right, out of EVERYTHING in the game, he is only weak to one thing, and that's solely because Thunder Surge abuses his A.I by hitting him three times in a row and causing him to try to pull off a renewal barrier, which gives you barely enough time to run away before he retaliates. He has a ton of combos that one hit always puts you down to 1hp, yet he has the longest combos in the game, so you're just desperately mashing the triangle button to try heal before you're knocked out of the combo. 

However that leads into the next issue - his speed. He is constantly on the move and pulling out devastatingly hard attacks every single second, and you do not get a second to breath during it all. You need to constantly be on the run, constantly hoping he stops for the single move he pulls out that can be abused for a thunder surge and if not, you're probably dead, especially with Terra. His attacks are also pretty cheap. He has an X-laser attack which is one of only two openings and if you just so happen to heal during it, then it hits right as soon as your leaf bracer deactivates, you're down to one HP. He has an aero attack that he loves spamming which not only usually leaves you at 1hp, but steals away all of your commands and scatters them. And even better, you have to wait about two seconds before you can pick them up again, which by that time, MF likely has already begun another attack to insta-kill you. If you avoid it, you can attack, except he's likely charging another one right as you activate your thunder surge, meaning you'll get hit anyway.

He has a fire teleport attack which constantly screws with the camera and is extremely messed up to dodge because of the camera constantly shifting. He has an attack which creates four clones who all have the same combos, attack damage and speed of normal MF, which means if you're too slow to Thunder Surge to kill them as soon as they appear, then you've got about a 10% chance of surviving, especially as Terra.

But that probably wouldn't be so bad, except he - like the rest of the BBS bosses does not stagger. This means that even with the two openings you get, as soon as you thunder surge, you have a 50/50 chance of him immediately retaliating and comboing you back to 1hp. If you're lucky, you'll land enough hits to trick the A.I into activating his reflect barrier, giving you just barely enough time to run away again. If not, he will immediately combo you. 

And while we're at it, why is it so bad if he combos you? You have Once More, Second Chance, and Leaf Bracer, so like KH2, you could just outlast the combos and immediately heal again, right? Wrong. Because all three of those abilities are badly coded in the game, that means he can ignore them and insta-kill you in a combo regardless of them. Every time he gets you into a combo, you have a chance of the abilities glitching out and getting you killed. Especially in Terra's case, I had Leaf Bracer and Second Chance both glitch out so he could kill me, both times where I had him nearly beaten too. 

So, how can things get even worse? You manage your way through all of that mess, what else? Well, when he's down to two health bars, he then turns himself invisible, making it impossible to lock onto. What does that mean? It means you either abuse Ven and Aqua's broken dodges to make yourself invincible til he becomes visible again, or in Terra's case, you blindly Thunder Surge and pray the game decides not to screw you over.

That is downright the WORST decision in this entire fight. A few other games also had bosses where the bosses turned invisible. The difference is that for KH1 - it was an early boss and had an indicator of where it is, and for KH2, you had reaction commands to force bosses out of their invisibility. You get neither of them here, which means you are constantly running away blindly, or in Terra's case, outright attacking blindly and hoping for the best. You can't properly dodge without lock-on and you can't properly attack either. 

But that's not all, because he gets two new attacks, both of them insta-kill attacks. He gets a mega-flare which since it damages you in two individual shots is a insta-kill. Then you have his "Doom" attack in which if you were silly enough to think the game would allow you any options - if you bring in any elemental dodges, his A.I changes and spams this attack, and it has a 25% chance of becoming unwinnable because the way it works is that it places a counter over you between 2-4 and you need to spam X to escape it before it hits 0 or you get insta-killed. Except if it hits two, which again has a 25% chance, you can't escape it, it becomes literally impossible. 

So, after all of that, is there anything else? Well yes, because that was talking generally. How about specific characters?

Well, this is the point where you really begin to see how broken BBS's design is. Because comparing Ventus and Aqua's fight to Terra's is like comparing Crash Bandicoot to Dark Souls, and all for one simple reason. As previously mentioned, Aqua and Ven's dodge is broken. It's invincibility frames are stupidly high, so it means you can keep constantly spamming the dodges and avoid literally all attacks. This is not a good or fun method to have to fight bosses. It really hurts to keep spamming the button, and especially in Ven's case, I had to pause the game multiple times just so I could take my hands off the controller for a few seconds. But that's the only saving grace, you can spam dodge with Aqua/Ven and wait for his one or two openings before repeating again. It's painful but it works.

Too bad Terra is a thing. Terra's dash as mentioned before is complete and total trash. He cannot dodge anything with it. He is constantly vulnerable during Young Xehanort's attacks, and this is the worst situation to place Terra in because he is slow, clunky, and stuck with cooldowns while Xehanort is the total opposite, constantly fast, no cooldowns, and filled with one-hit KOs. Terra is the most vulnerable to all of them. Doom, Mega Flare, the clones etc. You need to constantly play aggressively and just hope you get lucky. It is downright atrocious how bad this boss gets when comparing Terra to Ven/Aqua and it just goes to show how downright awful this boss design is. The only reason it's anywhere near bareable for Ven/Aqua is due to an game exploit and when you're forced to play it with Terra without said exploit, it's a total game of frustrating RNG as the game constantly decides how and where to screw you over. It's just downright awful.

Armour of Eraqus: 

Depending on the character, this boss is either relatively easy, or extremely annoying, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Terra is the one on the extremely annoying side. The problem with Eraqus is the same as the previous bosses, it heavily locks out your commands and forces you to do one thing. Eraqus' one and only weakness is shotlocks, and even to get said weakness, you need to let him get you in a chain attack so he can power himself up, which makes him even more dangerous. Like MF, Eraqus is also filled to the brim with unfair one shot kills and combos, which is manageable with Ven/Aqua but downright near-impossible with Terra due to how awful his dash is. 

The worst thing about Eraqus is the wasted potential because their concept was genius. You played throughout the entirety of the game with these various command styles and now depending on the character you play as, Eraqus changes his play-style to another command deck. So if it's Terra, he uses Rockbreaker, if it's Aqua he uses Spell-Weaver etc. That's really cool, but it's just once again broken by the fact that he is completely invincible except for two attacks, and even then, you need to let him power up and give him more potential for killing you instantly before you can even do half-decent damage with shotlocks. It's manageable with Ven/Aqua because you can once again just spam dodges til he's open for a shotlock, but for Terra, you're constantly forced to endanger yourself before you can try to get a shotlock off towards Eraqus. The only saving grace is apart from his instant-teleporting combos, two of his attacks require build-up, which gives you just a few seconds to take a breath and figure out your next move. His only attacks that grant openings is one where he jumps into the air and tries to unleash fire tornados down onto the ground, one where he begins unleashing lasers around in a 360 degree angle, and when he's trying to use his chains to power himself up. He's manageable, but he's nowhere near fun, especially as Terra.

No Heart:

This is the one boss I think I absolutely despise most in the game other than Mysterious Figure, because he combines not only MF and AoE, but he also makes it absolutely frustrating to retry. No Heart is Xemnas from KH2, only instead of being a well-designed boss, he uses Xehanort's keyblade and is an unrelenting nightmare to fight, especially with Terra. 

First off, he has two phases, the only superboss in the game to have one. The first phase is absolutely nothing but a time waster as you spend 3 minutes smacking his keyblade which has created a barrier blocking you off from Xemnas while he spams energy attacks and keyblades at you. Once you take this down, you get into the real fight itself, and it is just the build-up of all of the issues in the game. For one, you get absolutely zero openings with Xemnas. He is constantly dashing around the stage unleashing attacks onto you. But this is a problem, because the only reliable way to beat him is yet again using shotlocks. But since he has no attacks with a build-up period, you're constantly forced to exploit the boss by running into a corner, and hoping you can keep him trapped on the other side of a barrier for a few seconds to build up the shotlock quickly. Otherwise, he immediately teleports in and begins attacking you. 

If that wasn't enough, he dashes into the air and spams down energy blasts and keyblades, and on top of that, can unleash a giant purple void that destroys your speed. Not a big deal for Ventus and Aqua, but might as well be a one-hit kill for Terra because if that happens, his dash becomes downright useless, giving him no space and no invincibility frames. 

But what puts Xemnas a cut above the rest is he has three different insta-kill moves. Firstly, he'll drop down with an explosion attack that immediately puts you to 1hp. Wouldn't be too big of an issue...except it also stuns you, leaving you open to him just instantly killing you there and then. Then there's his "doom" variation in which he unleashes an AoE attack that covers the entire room, puts you to 1hp, and forces ALL of your commands into cooldown, meaning unless you brought items, you're yet again dead. And then finally he does an attack that puts you to 1hp and places an invisible barrier around you, meaning that with Ven/Aqua you can spam their dodge til you can escape, but with Terra, you're just going to die because he can't dodge and he can't move. 

But if there's any boss that highlights the difference between characters most, it's this boss. To give it some frame of reference. With Terra, it probably took me 20+ tries to beat, and that's just because I got lucky and kept exploiting the corners of the room to get shotlocks off on Xemnas. With Ventus, who can literally spam dodge everything, it took me tries to beat him. 

And what's worst? Every single time you die, you have to do the stupid keyblade first phase every single time, nothing but a complete time waste to force you to wait longer to refight Xemnas and every time, it becomes more and more frustrating to do so. 

So in conclusion. The boss design in Birth by Sleep is downright atrocious. It is one of the most awful I've ever encountered in this series, and I'm not lying when I say it's downright ruined the game for me. I used to like BBS but playing through the superbosses just highlighted how downright awful the command system is and the combat system is. If it's just the story stuff, it's alright and fun enough, but serious combat? Downright atrocious in all honesty.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is dope. Damn, with Proximity, a huge edm source, posting KH content, and the news of Skrillex, KH is making a big splash into the electronic dance scene. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I completed BBS today! I really enjoyed, though I did start getting tired by the time I was playing through with Terra and had to take breaks for days. I think I liked Ventus the most. Dude is just trying to make friends lol Terra's a big baby highly reminiscent of Anakin. He even had the "What have I done?!" line after striking down Eraqus. 🤣 Aqua is fine. I took me a while to realize her actress is Thea from Arrow, but then I couldn't unhear it anymore.

So does Roxas look like Ventus because his light is in Sora?

I also did the special episode. It was cool to fight Heartless again. The boss was kind of easy, especially once I went into Rhythm Mixer mode.

And I've started DDD. So far I like it.I've finished Traverse Town. Hearing the music again was nice.  I love how fast and agile the characters are. Having the roll and air dash from the start is a blessing. The Flowmotion stuff is fun, too. I'm not sure about the Drop stuff. What happens when it's empty? Do I get a game over or do I just switch to the other character? If it's the latter what happens in (boss) fights? It kind of feels like it hampers exploration since I'm always worrying about it.

And since I complained about it in BBS, I was happy to see the font in the reports section is more in line with the mainline games.🤣

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

And I've started DDD. So far I like it.I've finished Traverse Town. Hearing the music again was nice.  I love how fast and agile the characters are. Having the roll and air dash from the start is a blessing. The Flowmotion stuff is fun, too. I'm not sure about the Drop stuff. What happens when it's empty? Do I get a game over or do I just switch to the other character? If it's the latter what happens in (boss) fights? It kind of feels like it hampers exploration since I'm always worrying about it.

The Drop mechanic is easily my least favorite aspect of DDD. But it only forces you to switch to the next character, so you won't be getting game overs. If I remember correctly, you should pick up at the same spot you left your character when the gauge runs out. Unfortunately, this won't apply to boss battles; the fight will restart if the gauge ran out mid-battle. It's best you start these battles with a full gauge (especially towards the end of the game); remember you can manually force the gauge to run out in case you don't feel like waiting around. 

Spoiler

Also, make sure you best Sora's final boss before attempting Riku's. Riku's boss has several phases that make it extremely unlikely you will be able to beat it in time. Trust me, it's already a frustrating fight to begin with. Being forced out of the fight is downright infuriating.