Awoo.

eXtaticus

I’m exceedingly drunk while typing this; my dexterity and general control over my motor functions has been greatly diminished, although my mind is freed beyond any form of limiting capacity that it was once confined to - and honestly, though I relish all moments of sober, sane intelligence, I quite simply couldn’t be happier now than I have been in a very long time indeed. Alcohol, to me, opens up a whole world of incredible mental functional opportunities, and stimulates complex and intricate discussion more than any other mind-food could ever possibly hope to; the conversations that I participate in while pissed out of my mind are some of the best that I could ever dream of having, and this wordy, talkative state in which I find myself while under the influence creates infinite new worlds of thinking opportunities.

It’s indisputable, though, that there is a fine line between creative drunkenness and utterly mind-bent ridiculousness, however I suppose now that I’m at more of a peacefully agitated and comfortably crazy state of mind than even a genius’ sober state, and that any barriers of nervousness, inhibition and unintelligent sensibility had been torn to shreds the moment that the first few drops of the second glass of red wine hit my bloodstream; in moderation, you understand, this light-headedly hyperactive feeling is well beyond anything that it used to be before I began drinking this evening, and I’d love to have it repeated every few months to refresh my memories of how generally fun and enjoyable the effects of alcohol can be. Of course, I’ll never be able to make sense of the seemingly insane words of garbled pissedness that I said to my contemporary elders “last night” once the morning comes, but I’ll be damned if it wasn’t of the utmost pleasure in which I uttered those syllables at the time.

So, what do you think of the benefits, uses, abusers, experiences and failing factors of alcohol are in the modern social environment? Are you a drinker, and if so or not, why or why not? Express yourself in the thread below!

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate alcohol. Most alcohol-containing drinks taste disgustingly bad. I'd rather just have a glass of juice.

I know there's a lot of people my age who 'drink', although I think they're just in it for the after effects and 'cool factor'.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 2

Drinking alcohol is like drinking soda or energy drinks: neither is any good for you, but you'll drink it because you like the taste or the kick it delivers to the taste.

Nothing's really wrong with drinking it for that reason, but then you get to a difference between alcohol and soda: Alcohol is far more likely to kill you than you would with Soda. Even disregarding it's potential to poison you from excessive drinking, it can disorient you very badly, hence the reason you're not supposed to drink and drive.

But enough stating the obvious. I drink it mainly for the kick. Although I never drink it straight...last time I did that I had to drink several glasses of water to get the taste out of my mouth. I prefer mixing my alcohol, or drinking wine thank you. Although I have to wait until I'm 21 to go out and legally buy it. :lol:

I don't drink alcohol. I'm 15, duh. I hate the taste anyway (still better than energy drinks though). Although I've already been drunk (not "oh god i can't stand up anymore" drunk, I don't want to die either, but drunk enough to feel dizzy and to kinda lose control), and the only difference is that I become less shy and less introvert... but alcohol is not good so I'll never do that again (and I hate the taste, it... burns).

Whenever I need my imagination to work, I just stand there and tell my mind "Work, you son of a bitch, or I stop feeding you with vidya games". Then it works. \o/

While I understand some people use alcohol to make their creativity work hard (*cough*ZUN*cough*), alcohol isn't a good thing either.

Edited by Koopalmier

Like in the gun topic. I don't like alcohol, I don't want alcohol, I don't need alcohol.

Yeah, I don't like alcohol.

Alcohol is for grown ups and for people who think they grown up drinking it. dry.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's funny, I don't drink at all and have no interest too, (still too young anyways,) but other than for the energy boost, I pretty much drink caffeinated stuff for the same reasons. (For creativity, for making myself more social in situations where I'm surrounded by people, ect.) but I guess I'm not all that better considering that Caffeine is technically a drug by definition. Stuff's addictive, I'll admit. :P

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 2

I remember back in first year of university how pretty much every single tutor told people not to write while drunk, it might seem great at the time but 9/10 it's complete crap.

I don't tend to drink, I might have a glass of something at Christmas if someone gives it to me but I've not that bothered. Most drinks don't even taste very nice anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Chalk me up for the 'anti-alcohol' side, here. The way I see it, alcohol does much more harm than good, and is of little to no benefit to society in general.

Yes, it's one thing to drink socially in perfectly sensible amounts- that doesn't do any real harm, although I'd still argue it's unnecessary. Maybe some people need it to loosen their inhibitions, but still. It's more the excessive side of it all that outright repulses me; people who binge drink, and drink in excess purely for the sake of getting as drunk as possible. I fail to see that as anything other than an act of sheer and utmost idiocy.

When someone is drunk to the point they can barely speak, walk, or even stand, that's just disgusting. How little self-respect do you have to have to want to willingly become something so mindless and humiliating? And it certainly says something about the mindset of people who consider that to be a 'good time'. I'd never want to show my face again if anyone ever saw me in such a state. Drinking until you're a mindless, shaken zombie throwing up everywhere is just such a self-degrading thing to do, and it's completely beyond my comprehension how anyone can see that as a desirable, even enjoyable, thing to do. And that's before you even start to bring in the health implications.

I'm sure I've said this before, and I apologise if anyone is offended by such a hard-line view, but to be honest, if someone is drinking themselves to death out of sheer stupidity, it's their own fault. Why should somebody who has knowingly and willingly poisoned their own body with excess alcohol be offered organ transplants when they brought the problem on themselves? In my opinion, people with organ failure due to drinking should not be offered transplants at all. They should be kept for people who genuinely need them for reasons that aren't self-inflicted.

I think the only time alcoholism is 'acceptable' as it were is when it's being used as a coping aid for depression. My uncle has a pretty rotten life, but once he was diagnosed with diabetes he was told he couldn't drink any more. He's attempted suicide about three times in the last year, so I can see a positive to it, if a somewhat bitter one.

To be honest, I don't think I'd have such a low opinion of alcohol if the government started putting actual legal limits on how much a person is allowed to drink. I mean, stopping people from getting absolutely batshit-drunk would be a bad idea, how? Of course, they couldn't stop people from doing so in their own homes, but they could at least try and enforce it in bars and such. I mean, it's one thing to behave that way at home, but when a person gets drunk off their arse in public, that's when they become a burden, potentially even a danger, to themselves and others. If you ask me, they should just arrest anyone who's obviously completely out-of-their-head drunk.

Oh, also, I find the taste of beer absolutely disgusting. Wine is okay, but I still choose not to drink. To be honest, if I want a bit of a kick, I'll just go for Red Bull. Granted, that's hardly good for your health either, but it's hardly the consciousness-altering poison that alcohol has the potential to be.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't drink all too often. Only with some friends or at partys a few times a year. I love Smirnoffs Ice. When I do drink, I tend to drink quite a bit, but I've never been extremely drunk. When I am drunk, I go and tell everyone I love them.

Edited by MarcelloF

Alcohol is fine in moderation. However, when you reach a stage when you're pissed out of your mind (indicated by slurring), then the alcohol is actually killing your brain cells.

Its not doing you any favour mate. I like the odd drink of wine, or beer, but no more than that. I dislike not being fully aware of my actions, or being in full control of my bodily functions. Nor do I like the idea of my brain cells being slowly killed off, never to regrow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the only time alcoholism is 'acceptable' as it were is when it's being used as a coping aid for depression. My uncle has a pretty rotten life, but once he was diagnosed with diabetes he was told he couldn't drink any more. He's attempted suicide about three times in the last year, so I can see a positive to it, if a somewhat bitter one.

Edited by Mollfie

Maybe 'acceptable' was the wrong word to use; I simply meant that that's the one positive trait I can see to it. Yes, it doesn't fix the problem, but if nothing else it can serve as a coping aid.

As for the matter of controlling people, freedom and rights, that's much more of a grey area, in my opinion. I mean, all laws control people and take away their freedom to varying extents; it's a case of where you draw the line.

I mean, for argument's sake, you can draw a lot of parallels between alcohol and illegal drugs- both are similar, yet one is legal and one isn't. Both are addictive, damaging to the users' health, and both have the potential to make the user act in anti-social and/ or violent ways that can make them a danger (or at the very least, a nuisance) to themselves and others. Okay, drugs are more addictive, damaging and consciousness-altering, but even so, it's the same basic principle. I've seen a few articles saying that, in excess, alcohol can actually do more lasting damage to a person than a lot of illegal drugs can.

I still think that people with alcohol induced health problems should be denied medical help though, unless there are special circumstances. I don't think it's fair that people who knowingly and willingly damage their bodies should receive treatment that could be better spent on people who genuinely need it for more legitimate reasons.

EDIT: Even for people who drink too much and don't cause trouble, it's still harming themselves. It makes them more likely to need treatment, which costs a lot of time and money that needn't be spent. I'm not saying an outright ban should be put in place, but I do think at least some level of enforced moderation should happen. I'm not saying we should force everyone to drink only very small amounts, but at the same time there should be limitations in place to stop people from getting completely throw-up-and-pass-out wasted.

Hell, I'm sure that in social, small amounts, lower-class illegal drugs don't do too much harm either, yet they're still illegal.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 3

I still think that people with alcohol induced health problems should be denied medical help though, unless there are special circumstances. I don't think it's fair that people who knowingly and willingly damage their bodies should receive treatment that could be better spent on people who genuinely need it for more legitimate reasons.

So people who made an error can't be forgiven, healed and taken to a better path. Let's let them rot in their problems !

I'm pretty sure medical assistance related to alcohol problems doesn't take 70% of all the world's medical assistances.

I get enough whine on the internet as it is, though, SEGA Forums and Sonic Retro being notable providers of well fermented whine.

431.jpg

Edited by Koopalmier
  • Thumbs Up 2

So people who made an error can't be forgiven, healed and taken to a better path. Let's let them rot in their problems !

I'm pretty sure medical assistance related to alcohol problems doesn't take 70% of all the world's medical assistances.

Fair point.

Okay, I think they should be given one chance. If someone comes in with self-inflicted alcohol-induced liver failure, they should get the help. Get a transplant. If after that they still then proceed to drink themselves into that same situation, it's completely their own fault and, in my opinion, they shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt a second time.

You hear these stories of people who've gone through several livers/ kindeys etc, every time swearing that they'll 'never do it again'. Stories, people like this make me angry, because it feels like they're wasting the sacrifices of the people who donated those organs and depriving people who genuinely need them. Give people one chance to reform. If they waste that chance and dig themselves back into the same hole, don't pull them out a second time, because chances are they'll just keep digging. =/

EDIT: Whilst I do think that people should be given one shot at reforming, I still think that these sort of people should be placed at a lower priority than people who genuinely need transplants.

I mean, imagine for a minute that your mother suffered from liver failure that had nothing to do with drinking. Imagine that she died from it because she couldn't get a transplant. And imagine that you found out that the reason she couldn't get one was because the last one had been given to an alcoholic who brought their liver failure upon themselves. How would you feel then?

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 2

Okay, I think they should be given one chance.

Have you ever been addicted to anything?

You almost never get over it after one incident.

Some people need YEARS of therapy and go through withdrawal and backsliding constantly.

And you only want to help them once? That's just plain sick.

• Thumbs Up 1

Happy teetotaler am I. I have only one tiny exception and that is the extremely rare tot of Bailey's Irish Cream and even then, it's a tiny amount I drink in the bottom of the glass. I drink for it's luscious taste, not it's alcoholic content. Before I turned 18, I had curiosity for Rose Wine. When I turned 18 and finally tried it, it did not live up to my expectations :/

I absolutely hate the taste of beer, lager, vodka, sambuca, brandy, amaretto etc. I just don't like anything about alcohol; It's taste, the fact it can tear lives apart etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Haha. I think just about everyone on this forum knows that I like to drink. Hoo boy.

Why do I drink? A number of reasons, not necessarily good ones. Like the OP, I really do love that mind-opening inhibition-free state of consciousness. I'm at ease, chatty, philosophical, optimistic... and also like the OP I've had some of my best deep and wonderful conversations when more than a little tipsy. I particularly love to drink and listen to music, dancing and singing along... there's a particular euphoria in that, which simply isn't attainable to me sober. Finally, I drink when I'm sad to take my mind off stuff. Not a great idea, particularly as alcohol is a depressant (as a note to anyone saying it helps cope with depression - it doesn't. It makes it worse. You'll have a temporary high, but then you'll feel even worse, like a sugar high and crash). I try not to drink when I'm in a bad mood because I tend to end up angry and aggressive, but in an ordinary or good mood, it's happy times, until my liver fails on me >_>

My favourite drinks are Cuarenta y Tres, Baileys, Malibu, Pina Colada, White Russian and other mixed drinks. My alter-ego is a harder drinker and drinks vodka from the bottle like it's water (ugh), and has an affinity for absinthe. Absinthe IS pretty cool, particularly if you follow the absinthe 'ritual' and do it right :3 My alter drinks to get drunk, really, while I do it for the good times.

Anyway, yeah. Drink is good. /health

• Thumbs Up 2

I admit though that cocktails can be nice. When I went to Sharm El Sheikh in 2009, I tried the hotel's signature cocktail that was called Mirabel Desire (The hotel was called Jaz Mirabel Park, hence the cocktail's name). It's ingredients were rum, coconut milk and mint liquer. It was incredibly tasty but quite sweet. Since then, I have been quite curious about cocktails because they don't always have that nasty alcoholic taste and can taste very interesting.

That (still*) sounds so lush to me, Verte. I'm gonna have to try it some day.

*If I'm remembering correctly that you made a status about it a while back?

One of the most awesome things about the cruise I recently went on was the Cocktail of the Day, each time served in a collectable souvenir glass. They were all SO delicious and the glasses were amazing - one of them was made from a thick stem of bamboo, one of them had a button that made it light up, etc etc. Also, I learned that Italian Ice Tea is THE strongest thing imaginable. One SIP will make you light-headed =D

That (still*) sounds so lush to me, Verte. I'm gonna have to try it some day.

*If I'm remembering correctly that you made a status about it a while back?

Yeah :D My old profile photo even showed me drinking that exact cocktail. It's milky-looking but has a green tint from the Mint Liquer.

One of the most awesome things about the cruise I recently went on was the Cocktail of the Day, each time served in a collectable souvenir glass. They were all SO delicious and the glasses were amazing - one of them was made from a thick stem of bamboo, one of them had a button that made it light up, etc etc. Also, I learned that Italian Ice Tea is THE strongest thing imaginable. One SIP will make you light-headed =D

I read that the Zombie is an incredibly potent cocktail - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_%28cocktail%29 to the point that a certain chain of cocktail bars only allows a maximum of two Zombies per customer. I'd be curious in trying one of those but it's alcoholic content is a turn-off.