Awoo.

Eddie Lebron Sonic Movie: New Teaser Trailer!

slam422

That moment was already spoiled to me so it didn't have that first-impression impact, but I want to wonder:

Am I the only one who did a head-turn at Green Hill in general? It doesn't fit. It

really doesn't. Why does the island go from live-action temperate deciduous forest to alright CGI tropical Green Hill? There is no narrative foreshadowing of its existence because all we ever get a glimpse of is real forest, nor is it or any other zones ever named, and there's no real reason for it to be there after the fact either aside from I guess to place itself as a prequel to the games. But if that's the case, why is Knuckles there, who at this point is merely comparative icing on the cake? What the fuck?

Nope. I feel the exact same way. The way GHZ was rendered and the comparison of it to the realistic settings around it and shown earlier is like Uncanny Valley in scenery form. It's like it was just lumped in there to have something that looks definitively Sonicky: What better way to get that across by including a (Terribly rendered) representation of the most popular level in the series?

• Thumbs Up 1

That was... okay. It could've been way better, but hey I was atleast mildly entertained for 18 minutes.

My main problem with the technical aspects wasn't really the visuals, but the sound. The sound effects should've been alot louder with more "oomph" to them and it would've made alot of difference in my opinion, heck sometimes there was little to no sound at all. A big robot just blew up, I expected a big boom rather than just a little "bewm." Also Sonic's classic spindash sound effects sorta clashed with the realistic setting.

I could say more but everyone else has already had a go already and said what needed to be said.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 8

Watching that Fan Flim was like coming home to see that George Lucas had stolen your box set of the Original Star Wars trilogy on VHS and replaced it with Blu-Rays! And when you watch the movie you see that the Millenium Falcon has been replaced by that ship from Star Trek, Chewbacca now speaks Spanish, and Darth Vader's lightsaber is hot pink!

Why? WHY? Did you really need to make all those changes to a perfectly good piece of media? They could've just adapted Sonic 1 for all I care! It probably would have been better than... than... THIS!

WHY?!

Edited by Cola
  • Thumbs Up 5

I really feel bad for Eddie because I know he was hoping for this to be a masterpiece, or at least competent...but it just isn't, in any sense of the word. I feel like this movie is extremely similar to 06 in that it's a misguided attempt in breathing new life into the series, but ultimately falling flat on it's face. 

Also, I feel like this movie doesn't know which universe it wants to be set in; like it uses Julian Kintibor as an obvious nod to SATAM, along with Jaleel White, and Mobius but then when was Mobius primarily inhabited by humans? GUN was never there at all? I know this sounds like nitpicking, but it bothers me immensely that he's trying to cram so many elements into such a short time frame, and it's done so haphazardly.

• Thumbs Up 2

This quote from TSSZ's article about the film's release really irks me (and no it's not about TSSZ themselves, it's about what the quote represents):

The film, a live action and CGI hybrid, is getting a lot of attention more for the high level cameos found within.

Just as I suspected... fuck the integrity of the film, let's all give it thumbs up and positive reviews because of cameos that serve no purpose whatsoever!

DAMN YOU INTERNET AND YOUR FICKLE WAYS

• Thumbs Up 2

This quote from TSSZ's article about the film's release really irks me (and no it's not about TSSZ themselves, it's about what the quote represents):

Just as I suspected... fuck the integrity of the film, let's all give it thumbs up and positive reviews because of cameos that serve no purpose whatsoever!

DAMN YOU INTERNET AND YOUR FICKLE WAYS

Well I kinda saw that coming honestly; slap a few big names in anything and it instantly becomes good to most people out there.

Also, I feel like this movie doesn't know which universe it wants to be set in; like it uses Julian Kintibor as an obvious nod to SATAM, along with Jaleel White, and Mobius but then when was Mobius primarily inhabited by humans? GUN was never there at all? I know this sounds like nitpicking, but it bothers me immensely that he's trying to cram so many elements into such a short time frame, and it's done so haphazardly.

I think the fan service got in the way of this a lot. Nothing was focused, iconic things from the Sonic universe were slapped in, iconic web celebrities were cameo presented at the beginning, and that's it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most people have said my thoughts but can I just express my surprise at people's honest to god shock at them giving Knuckles fingers?

When that happened I was just like "oh okay".

I mean... you guys did see Sonic in the movie right?  But Knuckles!?  With fingers!?

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well that sure was... Something...

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Jaleel White basically turn down an offer to voice work on Generations so he could voice this? It had something to do with Sega "owning" his voice if he had agreed to do Generations and making him unable to do this film... What a waste that was

Here's my thought on the film, pasted from a Word document I typed as I watched it. 

WARNING: SPOILERS

-Egg Carrier looks odd

-Robots look okay

-Kintobor? Are they bringing the comic into this?

-JAMES ROLFE IS A NEWSCASTER.

- GEE YOU ENN? Really? They couldn’t have just said GUN?

-Who is President Bushnell?

-Score is generic

-Jaleel White’s performance is pretty good

-DOUG WALKER IS A GUN SOLDIER. These short cameos kinda break my immersion a bit.

-Sonic himself looks… odd. Also, center mouth. Uuuuggggghhhhhh.

-Robotnik seems to have taken over the world in this.

-“Robotik-ization”?

-Whoa, language. So we’re taking cues for the comics, SATAM and Shadow the Hedgehog. Ambitious.

-That sound effect was really out of place.

-The Medium Blending could be better.

-Sonic’s jumping look pretty ehh.

-Wish you could do THAT in the games.

-My mind’s going to bad places again.

-What does Sonic expect to land on?

-THEEERE we go, GUN.

-That was supposed to be Green Hill Zone? Not some plain, generic meadow? Where were the checkerboard cliffs?

-Marble Zone reference. Is this meant to be a darker and edgier retelling of Sonic 1? Then again, the Egg Carrier’s in this, so… I dunno.

-Yyyyyep. This is SATAM Robotnik, all right.

-Ohhhhh, THERE’S Green Hill Zone… and it clashes like mad with all of the other scenery.

-Is it just me or does GHZ look incredibly small? Also, what do you mean, “This looks interesting”? IT’S YOUR HOME, you should know what it looks like.

-The fastest thing alive is taking a Sunday drive.

-Wait, Knuckles?

-Knux doesn’t look too bad.

-D.J. Hazard on the ones and twos. Did he do the soundtrack?

-Overall, it was okay. Wasn't bad, but didn't move me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Jaleel White basically turn down an offer to voice work on Generations so he could voice this? It had something to do with Sega "owning" his voice if he had agreed to do Generations and making him unable to do this film... What a waste that was

His voice work here wasn't that impressive, no big loss that he wasn't in Generations.

Well that was pretty damn funny...I would gladly rewatch this if Rifftrax catches wind of it...

But I do feel bad for Eddie...I imagine he probably really poured his heart into this, but it just doesn't work...Although I did generally like the way Robotnik was portrayed, even if it was jarring to see classic-Eggman behaving like SatAM Robotnik for the most part. 

Also...it's unfortunate, but it seems clear now that the SatAM/AoStH voice of Sonic is no more...Jaleel's voice has worn to the point where only 1 line or so sounding anything like the voice he used for the characters.  As a SatAM fan that is really saddening.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aaron Webber merely said that if Classic Sonic was to have a voice, the first choice of actor would probably have been Jaleel White. But that was just in the early stages before they decided that he was to be mute. So no, he didn't turn down any work for Generations because there never was any.

That was an unique interpretation of the franchise. I enjoyed it for some of the reasons why it didn't work (bad CG/models, bad acting, strange cameos, suggestive rodot-riding, even the "serious" Eggman Robotnik near the end got a bit hammy when issuing his orders biggrin.png), I think this is the best example of a fanmade "B-movie" I've seen.

Also, I smell another great fanbase-wide Sonic meme in the making....BLOOBLUR

EDIT: I guess I'm not really that bothered by this thing (compared to something like Sonic 4 Epi. II) because I guess I wasn't really expecting much when I started watching it. It's probably because I haven't seen the Megaman fanfilm (yet) and I wasn't closely following the 2.5 yr. development of the film. Shame to hear that everyone else who was anticipating it didn't get a great film, and hopefully Eddie will fix his mistakes in his next film...if he doesn't get too discouraged to make another film, that is.

Edited by Gabe

Wow you guys act like Knux is supposed to have weird blobs for hands.

ftR4D.jpg

Stop acting as if this wasn't going to be mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's not supposed to be shown with fingers. You can debate all you like about what his hands actually look like, but his boxing gloves are pretty important.

Yeah...fingers...really? It's like giving spider-man a mouth piece. You don't do it....

• Thumbs Up 5

You know, I didn't notice until I read these posts, but Knux's gloves do indeed have fingers in the movie. Huh.

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)

Is "South Islander" a safe word to use on the forums? I mean, if I'm referring to the word it should be okay. As long as I don't call anybody it, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

I loved the movie!! Sonic fan and all! :-) Don't hate me for loving it.

What specifically did you like about the film?

I loved the movie!! Sonic fan and all! :-) Don't hate me for loving it.

You might want to give some specifics there dudeo.

Bwahaha.

I'm siding with Pinkamina on this one. It was a terrible riot, sub amateur B-movie making at it's finest, and it cracked me up. I wish I could care more about all these minor details but it's a miracle how bad it is that I'm actually enjoying it because of it.

• Thumbs Up 5