Awoo.

Eddie Lebron Sonic Movie: New Teaser Trailer!

slam422

Just some shots in the dark here, but CG modeling, rendering, costume design, filming, casting, writing, location(?) and buying costume materials, tailors and props.

If he hadn't wasted his time trying to make a story about a 3-foot tall hedgehog realistic, he might have made something worth watching. Just a thought.

And yeah, I pretty much agree with shin and DJ ear.

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl

Uwe Boll vs Eddie Lebron, IT'S TIME FOR A:  showposter.jpg?v=4fbb4c10

That was a no-brainer though.

Edited by Phantom R / Tenchibr

Now, I certainly can't say I liked it by any means, but I do feel as though people are crapping all over it a little unnecessarily/ excessively.

Sure, I certainly don't care for its take on the Sonic franchise in the slightest; in trying to work their own headcanon of what they feel or wish Sonic should be, they disregard pretty much every existing Sonic universe or canon to the point where this thing basically exists in a continuity all by itself. Sonic looks terrifying/ ridiculous and hardly gets any screentime whatsoever. And hell, for a Sonic fan passionate enough about the series (in whatever shape or form) to actually see a project like this through to the end, they sure as hell can't pronounce some basic terms correctly (Roboticization, hell, even Kintobor; they way they pronounce it makes it sound like some kind of extra month after October D: ).

I know the (admittedly few) people defending the tone of the story say "It's the creator's view of Sonic, it's their own story", but personally I think that's a moot point. News flash; when you're doing a work based on someone elses' creation, an existing franchise, you don't get to have your own view of 'what the series should be'; it's not your series, it's not your creation, and changing things so drastically shows a level of disrespect toward both the creators and the franchise as a whole. 

Whilst I disagree with the direction and tone of the movie's content, I at least admire the fact they saw it through to completion. Almost every other Sonic fan film or movie practically trips at the starting block and never makes it past a minute-long trailer if that. Even if it took longer than it should for the length and quality of the end result, at least he actually saw the damn thing through to completion.

And wait, people donated money to this? D: 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm quite amazed how the video's like to dislike ratio is currently around 5 likes for every dislike (standing roughly at 5000 likes to 1000 dislikes). With all the negative reaction it's been getting, I'd have thought it would have made a bigger dent in the popularity bar. I guess there's just a lot of shameless fans of the cameos. Heck, half the comments are just things like "Brentalfloss is in dis movie it's so omg awesum" and "omg Doug Walker!" Just to clarify, I have no issue with the people themselves appearing in the film. It's that their appearances are so painfully unsubtle, thrown right in front of your face from the very start of the film, and all in quick succession too. Have them in small background roles as fun little extras, sure, don't stick them right in front of the camera and make them the focus of attention. But then again, in a film this bad, that attention is going to be about the only half-decent selling point guaranteed to bump up the views.

And wait, people donated money to this? D: 

A lot of money, some hundreds of dollars or more each from a good amount of individuals.

Am I the only one who actually liked this?

Seriously, It's never going to win best picture or anything but it's nowhere near as bad as everyone is claiming it is. Leave it to the sonic community to shit over everything as usual.

As soon as I saw knuckles with fingers I knew people were going to go mental, it's insane, the level of nitpicking in this thread is bordering on self parody.

I know it's pretty shoddy in places, there's a couple poor mistakes with what should have been simple after effects shots like the screens on buildings and the animation was pretty poor in places.

But for the most part, the animation was pretty good, the E-100s in particular and the models were awesome. I really don't get why everyone hates the Sonic model so much, it looks a little odd but they were trying to do their own thing with it.

As for people complaining about where the money went and why it took so long to make, this

2 YEARS TO MAKE - 18MIN TO SHOW FOR IT

comment in particular. (Nevermind that a normal hollywood film takes anywhere from 3-5 years to make with a ten million dollar budget and only last 90 minutes....I'm really not sure what your point was with that...).

It's a fan film, these guys were making this in their own time, probably in between shifts at their real jobs.

Making a film of any length takes a large amount of time, never mind a film using cgi models inserted into live footage. They clearly had costumes custom made, built the set on Robotnik's ship and probably had to pay to get their actors (i imagine they worked mostly for free but they probably at least provided food and covered transport costs).

These things take time and cost money...

The way people are going on about this it's like it was a multi-million dollar film that sega had produced. By that means yeah, it'd be terrible. But for a fan film I actually think it's pretty fucking awesome.

I couldn't make anything anywhere near as good as this and nor could most of the people here.

Give them a break.

Edited by Jake Bird
  • Thumbs Up 5

I JUST WATCHED IT. DEAR GOD.

Okay fine.

First up, the music. Just no.

And so let's look at this 'canon'-wise okay? As we can reference from the first part of the movie, all this are prolly happening after 3&K or something. So blah blah blah, then Sonic calls Green Hill Zone interesting.

Why would he ever do that. He's seen it like 3 times (Emerald Hill Zone, Green Hill Zone, Hilltop Zone). Oh maybe it's a lead up to Sonic 1. Oh look Knux. 

So what the hell is this... So it can't be a lead up to Sonic 1 (Knux and 7 Chaos Emeralds) nor can it be after Sonic 3&Knuckles.

OH WAIT, how do you screw up Knuckles' hands so bad. 

Okay, then, the missle/badnik riding was atrocious. Whatever he was doing when he was riding that thing was eh. Sonic X did it so much better. And he does some air spins and all that. That's not possible, you aren't Super Sonic, how are you maintaining altitude.

Then, BLOOBLER. 

And Eggman is so messed up. Kintobor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. WHAT. And the costume just irks me, the portayal does too.

...God, I really pity those who get introduced into the series through this.

I mean, the robots and Egg Carrier weren't so bad, and then random cameo #1. That money, could have been used for better music, better audio/sound design, fixing so many damn stuff, for effects. Oh look cameo #2 and #3. GOD.

Oh Jaleel White. You know, um, while he was an 'eh' Sonic for me all the time, he did an... 'eh' job again, lol. 

The animations... OH GOD, the slow running, the mouths. Argh.

Okay, fine Jaleel White was better than Jason as Sonic in SHtH... but that's it.

Urgh....look at sonic's ugly ass mouth

his spikes look stupid

why are super sonic's eyes red?

....yeah that was pretty fucking awesome :)

I just think it's shitty that this guy's spent two years on this and all he's getting for his efforts are people dumping all over it because he chose to model sonic a certain way and he had the nerve to change a characters glove design.

It's just this kind of reaction that makes me really hate the sonic fanbase sometimes....

Yuji Naka just updated his Facebook saying the movie was awesome.

So... At least someone likes it I guess?

• Thumbs Up 2

YEAH_zps1f8a70d0.png

I have to say that reminds me of Dr. Strangelove.

I'm not gonna criticize the effects since i know nothing about how much money they had. As for people saying "How dare you nitpick, this is not Hollywood":  No. Lack of budget doesn't justify crappy writing, wooden acting and gratuitous cameos.

It's a fan film, these guys were making this in their own time, probably in between shifts at their real job.

I'm sorry Jake but that's no excuse. We're not hating on the film because it's low budget, we're hating on it because of how bad it is. Also let me introduce you guys to Following, Christopher Nolan's first movie, which he made in England in 1998 with no budget and was also done in between shifts with friends. It turned out to be a great 1 hour film thanks to the extremely clever writing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLxZZY9IKU

So yeah, Eddie, i appreciate the effort, but your writing and direction sucks balls.

I just think it's shitty that this guy's spent two years on this and all he's getting for his efforts are people dumping all over it because he chose to model sonic a certain way and he had the nerve to change a characters glove design.

People got hyped over this for almost three years, tons of people made donations. Equalling to a couple thousand pound or more. What we get in return is something that's poorly made in every aspect. Which could arguably be done in about a month or two. What happened to all that money? Did they pocket it? Or spend it all in the wrong places? Hell they couldn't even get the basics right; something which can be fixed in a few seconds.

3806_4164845524019_36365651_n.jpg

It's just this kind of reaction that makes me really hate the sonic fanbase sometimes....

Yeah. Screw them for not liking something that's terribly made.

Fan work or not, it should be criticised.

• Thumbs Up 1

Urgh....look at sonic's ugly ass mouth his spikes look stupid why are super sonic's eyes red?   ....yeah that was pretty fucking awesome :)   I just think it's shitty that this guy's spent two years on this and all he's getting for his efforts are people dumping all over it because he chose to model sonic a certain way and he had the nerve to change a characters glove design.   It's just this kind of reaction that makes me really hate the sonic fanbase sometimes....
A lot of us aren't mad about that. He spent 2 years on it yeah, I commend his effort. But he made an ultimately bad movie, small nitpicks aside. The script was terribly writen, the acting was straight out of a Hollywood B-movie, the CGI was subpar, and the editing? Jesus Christ, I myself could do a better job! So many simple things were missedq And I hate it when people say "oh it was okay FOR A FAN FILM". Why does a fan film get a free pass. The creators must be passionate about the thing they're making, how could they NOT pour their time and effort into making sure it's top notch? It's preposterous! I mean, look at Fallout: Nuka Break. It was made with a smaller budget and in less time, and it's STILL better! The acting is respectable, the costumes are done well, and the writing is interesting. I thouroughtly enjoyed it, unlike THIS TRAVESTY!
  • Thumbs Up 3

I've got to say I don't think the writing is all that bad, Sonic gives a hell of a lot of cheesy 90's sounding lines but I think the news footage and robotnik's propaganda feeds are pretty good at feeding exposition about the version of the universe this is set in.

Robotnik's a terrible actor certainly, clearly chosen for his look rather than his ability.

As for the cameos, I actually don't think they're much of a big deal. You have to remember that James Rolfe and Doug Walker (i assume there are others but I didn't recognise anyone else) are actors, the fact that they're famous for acting in youtube videos doesn't really change that.

A lot of youtube filmmakers meet up at various video conventions and stuff like that, the idea that they'd make friends and want to collaborate doesn't seem all that farfetched, James and Doug have already worked together previously.

I'm not even certain they're in the film for the purpose of a cameo, I think they're in it because they're actors and filmmakers that wanted to work together.

I could be wrong of course if anyone can find anything where Lebron's said anything different :)

Yuji Naka just updated his Facebook saying the movie was awesome.

So... At least someone likes it I guess?

He's just trying to promote Sonic.

I've got to say I don't think the writing is all that bad, Sonic gives a hell of a lot of cheesy 90's sounding lines but I think the news footage and robotnik's propaganda feeds are pretty good at feeding exposition about the version of the universe this is set in.

The writing is bad in the sense that there's not even a smidgen of an engaging narrative, with any and all background information being told via generic news reports - which is a really poor way of telling a story. They say Robotnik took over the world? That's nice. What would have been even nicer was, y'know, if we actually got to see it. Or see an indication of it. All we get is Robotnik showing up, a cut to black and then suddenly he's the ruler of Mobius. Wut.

As for the cameos, I actually don't think they're much of a big deal. You have to remember that James Rolfe and Doug Walker (i assume there are others but I didn't recognise anyone else) are actors, the fact that they're famous for acting in youtube videos doesn't really change that.

My issue isn't with the actors themselves - all credit to James Rolfe and Doug Walker, I think they're fantastic at what they do - but it's the overabundance of them. Within the first five minutes alone we've got Brentalfloss, James Rolfe, Craig from Screwattack, Doug Walker, and probably even more shoved in our faces. They don't necessarily do a bad job, but it ruins the feeling of immersion. No longer do I feel like I'm watching a serious Sonic film, I feel like I'm watching a collaboration from a load of internet personalities. The only cameo I can really get behind is Egoraptor's, because it's what they should all have been - subtle. He voices the E-100 robots and had it not been for his name in the credits, I would never have known. That's the way it should be. I should be going "oh hey did you know that so-and-so had such-and-such-a-role in that Sonic fan film? Cool huh!", not "OMG HEY GAIZ LOOK ITZ AVGN!"

As with everything about the film, the concepts behind it are commendable - getting together a bunch of famous faces as actors surely sounded like a good idea at the time - but the execution of it just does not work whatsoever. There's too many cameos in quick succession, to the point where if you add up all of their screen time they probably get more than Sonic himself. Or at least it feels like it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Nonstop laughter from start to finish.

The part when I really lost it and was howling on the floor with laughter that I woke up my cat? The first line Jaleel White spoke.

I--I can't even take this seriously. The Dutch angles, realism settings, muted tones of the city and soundtrack are lying to my senses that I should, but my brain being conditioned for reality is telling me otherwise.

But let me get this off of my chest:

Your Robotnik sucks. Period. You don't know anything about how the man works, how he would react to a situation and his motives. Instead it is a clusterfuck of all of the little Eggmen from all of the series crammed together, castrated of what essence makes them great and sprayed with a giant dosage of Grimdark - the Bale-esque pitch of Robotnik's voice "acting" is a lead to this theory.

Second, serious tones cannot fit this series. Why?

I cannot take any film about a BLUE MASCOT ANIMAL with the same conviction as a costumed anti-hero who dresses up like a bat and captures psychological criminals because the defining will behind him is justice. Sorry. Nope. Can't see that, and that's the reason why this series fell so flat on its face due to the slippery slope of Shadow and Sonic 06.

I feel that maybe if they cut out everything about talking animals and kept in the warring between Eggman and the government then perhaps that is the only thing which can keep the dark nature of this film without me busting into hysterics, but my god is Robotnik so boring that I was actually looking forward to other characters on the screen. How is this possible? How can you devoid a man so full of charisma and make him not the center of attention? WHAT THE? HOW IS THIS--- I DON'T EVEN...

GAH. NOW MY BRAIN IS FRIED.

This is coming from a person who currently has an avatar of WALUIGI'S ASS.  If I have to take something seriously, you'd better make a good reason why I damn should.

Edited by Scheming Minor

The writing is bad in the sense that there's not even a smidgen of an engaging narrative, with any and all background information being told via generic news reports - which is a really poor way of telling a story. They say Robotnik took over the world? That's nice. What would have been even nicer was, y'know, if we actually got to see it. Or see an indication of it. All we get is Robotnik showing up, a cut to black and then suddenly he's the ruler of Mobius. Wut.

My issue isn't with the actors themselves - all credit to James Rolfe and Doug Walker, I think they're fantastic at what they do - but it's the overabundance of them. Within the first five minutes alone we've got Brentalfloss, James Rolfe, Craig from Screwattack, Doug Walker, and probably even more shoved in our faces. They don't necessarily do a bad job, but it ruins the feeling of immersion. No longer do I feel like I'm watching a serious Sonic film, I feel like I'm watching a collaboration from a load of internet personalities. The only cameo I can really get behind is Egoraptor's, because it's what they should all have been - subtle. He voices the E-100 robots and had it not been for his name in the credits, I would never have known. That's the way it should be. I should be going "oh hey did you know that so-and-so had such-and-such-a-role in that Sonic fan film? Cool huh!", not "OMG HEY GAIZ LOOK ITZ AVGN!"

As with everything about the film, the concepts behind it are commendable - getting together a bunch of famous faces as actors surely sounded like a good idea at the time - but the execution of it just does not work whatsoever. There's too many cameos in quick succession, to the point where if you add up all of their screen time they probably get more than Sonic himself. Or at least it feels like it.

Yeah I can see your points. The cameos didn't bother me too much because I only know James and Doug, had I known any of the others it probably would have felt a little more gimmicky.

As for the writing, It was quick in places, missing out giant chunks of story like Robotnik taking over, but I really didn't mind that and didn't think it meant the film didn't work.

All in all, it kinda felt more like the first episode of a  live action tv series than a stand alone film.

Okay, I think it's about time I share my thoughts on the "film", or rather the "short film."

Overall, you could say I was disappointed with what we got. I could technically blame myself for overhyping it, but I think everyone was and when the news of a "live action Sonic fan film" hit the web years ago, I'm pretty sure everyone started the overhype.

Anyway, let's get down to the specifics.

The plot - I thought it was very thrown together and... well, it didn't really feel like there was a plot. It basically says "Ribibnik is very powahful, so he's gonna send out all these bots, okay" And I get that he wanted to go after Sonic, seeing as he thought he had gathered all the wildlife, but it just fell flat and left me going "Uh, okayyyy...." 
Also, Sonic was supposed to "tell us everything; how it got this way, and how I'm gonna make sure it goes back." He never did. There was never any backstory, no plan to take Robotnik down. Hell, Sonic didn't even come into the same room as him. If this set up for a sequel, I guess I could understand it then, and that would also explain not-so-boxing-glove-wearing-Knuckles' cameo at the end, but I don't really have a problem with his fingers like a lot of people seem to have.

Chaos Emeralds - Shown rather majestically in the opening sequence and, apparently, three of them are in Robotnik's black-gloved hands. But they are NOT IMPORTANT AT ALL. They never say anything about them other than the scene where one of the Gammas gives him a chaos emerald to stop his tantrum, the equivalent of a child being given a cookie to stop their whining. I don't see why they would make a cool opening scene like that with them spinning around if they have absolutely no relevance to anything in this flick. 

Sonic - For a film literally titled "SONIC" it sure didn't seem to have a lot of.... well, Sonic. It felt rare for him to come back onto the screen after watching some people talk about stuff. I think there should've been more emphasis on his character/plot to bring down the eggman.

The model - Okay, I realize everyone and their cousin has bitched their asses off about the character model used for Sonic. To be honest, I don't really have that much of a problem with it. I understand what they were going for with the many small quills making up each individual one, as that is probably how Sonic would look if he was in the real world, but the strands of his quills do look a little awkward. They should be more slicked back instead of poking up and looking odd. The rest of him looks pretty good. Exept. For. His. Mouth. Center mouths have always looked weird on Sonic, although Adventure's doesn't seem to look bad to me. But in this short, his mouth looks too dopey and wide, kinda like it did in 06 but worse. 

sonic-2.jpg

But now for some positives. 

Jaleel White - Okay, just seeing Sonic with White's voice coming out of him is pretty fuckin' cool. And while the famous trailer line "I'll tell you everything yaddah yaddah" didn't make sense in this film, I admit I did get goosebumps when that little speech started. The scene with Sonic talking to the female GUN agent made me laugh, and showed some good writing, albeit extremely short.

For a few small ones, I think Green Hill (the actual one at the end) looked pretty cool, although the water was a bit static. I enjoyed the performance given by Robotnik's actor, even if it wasn't spot on to his personality. The cameos were pretty fun to watch, but I still can't pick out which Gamma was voiced by Arin Hanson. Maybe most of them were but the pitch was made higher, I'm not sure.

In the end, it was just a fan film. It wasn't something with a funding pool of multiple millions, but a project being made by a few people. Summed up, all I can say was.... it wasn't what I expected, and I am disappoint. 

Edited by Piplup-Fan77

And I thought Michael Bay films were bad.

Well, to be fair at least there were no racist comic relief characters and it was only 18 minutes unlike Revenge of the Fallen which despite being 2h30m feels like 4 freakin hours.

All in all, it kinda felt more like the first episode of a  live action tv series than a stand alone film.

That was somewhat the point of it.

The film wasn't made to bring in money and what not like films tend to be, it was to show how Sonic could work on the big screen. While there was a few strange things going on, it was still a pilot of what could happen.

Everything needs a little working around before it's official, but it wasn't...bad for a fanfilm. I've seen some that are a hell of a lot worse and many fanfilms are much shorter than 18 mins (many of the good fanfilms online are only about 5 minutes long, so it must had been a little difficult to fill out 18 mins with the short budget).

I guess that's one positive, maybe.

I'll pass.

No fucking shit I couldn't do better. I'm not an animator. But even an idiot like me could tell you that the animation was choppy and the writing had no effort put into it

"It was fanmade" Yeah guess what was also fanmade:

The psuedo-realistic direction he decided to take with the film was a stupid choice from the start, and even if it was a good choice, the film clearly wasn't ready.

Did this guy set a deadline for himself or something?

But I'll stay out of this from now on.

Guy works on BioWare's Mass Effect series now.

whoa.

• Thumbs Up 2